PDA

View Full Version : Finally.

Safe-Keeper
05-28-08, 06:10 PM
OK, so here's the deal. Many of you will know that I'm the guy working on the Norwegian Operations, or NorOps, mod. Some of you will know that I also test the FS mod (http://fsmod.com/) (please check it out - we've put a whole lot of work into it). This is a time-consuming deal, and it's been keeping me from working on NorOps and also interfered with other parts of my life. Recently, however, two things have happened:
I've "called in sick", telling the FS dev team that the mod was basically sapping too much of my life (so in other words, no FS testing for me for a while), and
Suddenly found myself suffering from a phenomenally slow Internet (no more playing FS for a while).This leaves me with only the ability to hang out on the FS forums, which doesn't take much time. So in short:

I finally got to disentangle myself from the FS mod, which gives me time to work on NorOps again, which I really want to do.

So a few days ago I reinstalled SHIII, downloaded and installed GWX 2.1, and had a look. I'm amazed yet again by what the GWX team has done, and I'm currently working on re-implementing my NorOps features, which I had safely backed up, so that I can get back to editing.

What I'm trying to do is basically get an overview of what new features are added, particularly related to Norway, so that I know what to work on, what I can add to the material I've already made (the floating dock is but one example - I saw it on my way out of Wilhelmshaven on my first "test patrol" after installing GWX 2.1 and immediately thought "Wow! Bergen has a floating dock! I gotta add that!"). So now it's off to check how long that floating dock at Laksevåg has been there - if it predates WWII, it's going in!

I've also actually got to delete some GWX material - the Bergen area, for example, has been fully remade by scratch by me, with everything from a new port and city layout to ship traffic, Allied bombing runs and historically correct fortifications, and the GWX version will thus be deleted. I'll run through the other stuff and maybe remove some other features, but as Bergen, Haugesund and Stavanger are really the only cities I've really worked on so far, there shouldn't have to be much more to scrap.

Quick question: I'll be hitting the books shortly for WWII-in-Norway material, but to make my job a little easier, can anyone tell me exactly where Bruno sub pen in Bergen is? I've checked a lot of sources and none are more precise than "Laksevåg [district]". If someone could go into Google Earth and take a screenshot of it or give me the coordinates or something, I'd be very grateful.

Safe-Keeper
05-28-08, 06:17 PM
Yes, floating dock is there, at least as early as 1944. Doesn't look like the GWX counterpart, but I'm not complaining.

http://da2.uib.no/sab/teikning.jpg

Oooooooh! Waitaminute! Does it say "Submarine Pens" in the lower-left there;)?

Alex
05-29-08, 08:52 AM
:sunny::up::rock::arrgh!:

:ping:

Konovalov
05-29-08, 09:05 AM
Having never tried your work before I am really looking forward to giving this a go. :yep:

This looks really promising stuff. :|\\ :|\\

Safe-Keeper
05-29-08, 10:33 AM
In light of a PM I just received, I want to clarify something from my post earlier: When I said I was going to remake harbours from scratch, I meant that I was going to make the Scripted, Random and Land layers over again, not that I was going to create any new models. I'm building the cities from scratch with existing materials, so to speak.

Just in case anyone else was confused;).

PS: Working on adding floating dock now. Could somebody tell me what the difference between the two Floating Docks are?

Bismarck
05-30-08, 10:19 AM
I believe one is where the ship is being repaired (dock out of the water so the ship being repaired isn't damaged) and one is where its lower in the water so the ship can go in or out.

Safe-Keeper
05-30-08, 11:15 AM
Yeah, there's a flooded version and a raised version. Thanks a lot.