PDA

View Full Version : [REL] MenuModInstaller.exe, a gift for gui modders!

Nicolas
05-15-08, 11:03 PM
MenuModInstaller, a little app. to add automatically mods to menu...ini and dials.cfg
Forget installing manualy menu items and dials!
This tool should work for sh4 too, as menu_1024... and dials.cfg share the same structure. :)

http://hosted.filefront.com/Nicolas1979/

ichso
05-16-08, 01:24 AM
Hm a good idea, this should be really helpful :up:

When making a couple of changes to the menu...ini (the OLCGui and MFD merge-mod) I had a similiar idea, too.
But I only created some java tools to do some vast amounts of changes for me. I stopped there because I just tailored those tools for my specific needs, but there are in fact some things a tool can help with when editing this (bloated) ini-file.

The things I created those tools where:
1. renumber all items in a specific section from a specific point onwards to a final point
(say, make [G3F I200]->[G3F I265], [G3F I201]->[G3F I266], ...) This saved me a lot of manual editing.
2. scan for all ParentIDs in a specific section and look whether the matching ItemIDs are also there (makes it easier to point out some errors sometimes)

Those things can be useful too when editing some complex menu...ini.
Maybe for some future enhancements of your tool ?

Nicolas
05-16-08, 02:03 AM
If necessary i can add some functionality yes.
I made a mod: 'Periscope TDC' and this mod is installed with this tool.
I mean for example, you are working in a gui, and you know which items you replaced (modify) or which ones you added. Then you put those items in a file no matter the Ixx] the tool will auto number and auto identify the items, you must rescpect only 1 thing, the items you want to add to the end are preceded by a keyword [ADD], the tool has a little help section on how this works . You just put those items there and with a simple click of a button the tool add this to a menu....ini and Dials.cfg making adding mods to already modded menus and dials a piece of cake.

Nicolas
05-16-08, 01:38 PM
If you have any problem using the installer, you can download the mod 'Periscopes TDC 1.0' to see a working example.

Nicolas
05-19-08, 06:15 PM
I saw the 3 point vote :D
First of all: you dont need to complain about 'the hair of a horse given as a present'
Two: I see everywhere, "to install this mod on x version add this item and that item etc, to menu_1024 and dials.cfg. etc" All manual for the poor user...

Maybe i expressed myself wrong for what is this program:

This tool add the items automatically. And it works :roll: :
It adds items to menu_1024 and dials
It replace items in menu_1024, identifying the items by the ItemID=xxxx

This tool for now not:
Removes items, if you want to remove items put them out of the screen.
Removes or modify dials.

Any suggestion/problem you are welcome

JScones
05-20-08, 04:20 AM
I saw the 3 point vote :D
Does anyone actually care about the star rating here? I certainly take no notice of it whatsoever when I decide to read a thread. IOW, why let it bother you? If someone wants to give you a three star rating without posting why, then meh.

Insofar as your tool is concerned, I think you may alleviate user hesitance by posting how it handles multiple mods "attacking" the menu.ini file. That is, if I apply two or more mods that modify the menu.ini file, will it handle all modifications gracefully, or will it curl up in the corner leaving me to deal with any subsequent in-game CTDS?

And what about the peripheral files that are linked by the menu.ini changes? How are those handled?

Basically, much more info is needed if you wish to sell your idea.

Nicolas
05-20-08, 04:25 PM
I should include a well done documentation, but its hard for me doing it in english.
About the ctd, you can have ctd, installing a mod manually if the modder dont tell to you: look this mod is not compatible with this other mod....
About bothering for ratings, i must 'defend' this realease, (i like to critic my own work) and i found that this is a good thing, saves a lot of editing to the user.
Mmm, i made this tool to install the 'periscope tdc' mod, if next month its released gwx 3.0 or something the idea was, that you reinstall the mod using the created files from the program, and it should work with the new version, for example, the files used to create menu_1024_768.ini and dials.cfg in the 'periscope tdc' mod are the same for vanilla and for gwx... understand?
About linked files, the modder must provide those.
And finally thanks for asking those questions.

JScones
05-21-08, 02:23 AM
About bothering for ratings, i must 'defend' this realease, (i like to critic my own work) and i found that this is a good thing, saves a lot of editing to the user.
Oh trust me, you'll have *plenty* of opportunities to defend your work. ;)

Tuddley3
05-21-08, 08:06 AM
As JScones said, you'll have plenty of oportunities to defend your work , this might be one of your first tests.

Nicolas, does the MenuModInstaller only work if you install SH3 to the C Drive. I have created a new partition on my computer to install my games on. So if the path to my SH3 install is J:\Tuddley\Ubisoft\WAC\data, does this mean the MMI will not find the SH3 Data folder ?

I am trying to install your Periscopes TDC 1.0.1, and when I try to locate the SH Data folder, I get this error message: "File is missing, or wrong folder".

Thanks,
Tudds

Nicolas
05-21-08, 08:57 AM
Hello.
I forgot to put something about text comparing.
I checked it, your data folder is in uppercase i bet, put it on lowercase. (Data wont work), (data yes).
It works?

Tuddley3
05-21-08, 01:11 PM
Sorry, my fault :oops:. In your readme, it says "- Select in there the 'Data' folder of sh3.", so I single clicked it to highlight it. I just double clicked it and it worked.:-?

Nicolas
05-21-08, 06:32 PM
No problem... it happens. And i found this text comparing bug.