PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Radio News Bulletins?

nervouspete
05-12-08, 03:42 PM
Hullo there!

I've returned to Silent Hunter III to give this Grey Wolves X 2.1 mod a whirl, and I'm very impressed so far - despite a bit of chugging in the port!

Anyway, I remember in an earlier installation I had radio news broadcasts loaded into SH3 Sub Commander 3.1 that activated at certain dates. September 1939 for Neville Chamberlain wearily declaring war and convoy attacks, going through August 1940 for Battle of Britain etc and on through the war.

I was hoping they still came with SH3 Commander or GWX but no luck. Or if they have, they haven't activated. A couple of questions then for the most helpful mod board in the known world...

1: Do sound files play if they're down as .wav? Because they are in the SH3 Sub Commander folder in the date/month/data/sound folders. Do they have to be renamed as .ogg files instead?

2: If the above news reports of excellence are missing, does anyone know where I can pick them up? Last time I got them from U-boat.realsimulation.com mods site but that seems to have gone. :cry:

Bonus points for reminding me how to install 'em too.

Thanks for your help here in advance. I did a search but couldn't find anything specific to this.

Good hunting out there! :)

nervouspete
05-12-08, 05:49 PM
It's okay! I found it. Phew.

'Churchill's War Radio Mod'

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=89254&highlight=chamberlain

Sailor Steve
05-12-08, 09:55 PM
I'm glad you found them. They play fine for me right out of SH3 Commander, so I can't say why you were having problems. I would like to answer one question, though:
1: Do sound files play if they're down as .wav? Because they are in the SH3 Sub Commander folder in the date/month/data/sound folders. Do they have to be renamed as .ogg files instead?.wav files play on the gramaphone just fine. .ogg files are smaller, and take up less space. MP3 files are the only ones that have problems, and they usually do play; they just skip sometimes.

JScones
05-13-08, 02:53 AM
They play fine for me right out of SH3 Commander, so I can't say why you were having problems.
:hmm: You must have installed the radio mod at some time as it doesn't come with SH3Cmdr. SH3Cmdr includes only a limited number of radio messages in its radio mod.

nervouspete
05-13-08, 09:23 AM
Cheers mateys.

Yeah, I remember now that I downloaded it for an old installation. Annoyingly, the links to the 1941+ broadcasts are broken, seems they're no longer about. :(

Heigh ho. At least the 1939-1940 one's are as good as I remember. Do you know of any other good authentic radio broadcast stuff to play to further immerse myself?

Sailor Steve
05-13-08, 09:46 AM
They play fine for me right out of SH3 Commander, so I can't say why you were having problems.
:hmm: You must have installed the radio mod at some time as it doesn't come with SH3Cmdr. SH3Cmdr includes only a limited number of radio messages in its radio mod.
Really? Sorry about that.:oops: I guess that means I've installed too many things for my own good. Or it's just another sign of aging.

Sailor Steve
05-13-08, 11:08 AM
Cheers mateys.

Yeah, I remember now that I downloaded it for an old installation. Annoyingly, the links to the 1941+ broadcasts are broken, seems they're no longer about. :(

Heigh ho. At least the 1939-1940 one's are as good as I remember. Do you know of any other good authentic radio broadcast stuff to play to further immerse myself?
No, I know of no others; but here's the complete set, including the Doenitz speech from 1945:
http://files.filefront.com/War+Radio+Mod7z/;10210822;/fileinfo.html

Herr Trigger
05-13-08, 12:52 PM
If you want radio then look at my post http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136657 .At the weekend I'll look at breaking it all down into year by year files and uploading to FF.

JScones
05-14-08, 03:06 AM
Really? Sorry about that.:oops: I guess that means I've installed too many things for my own good. Or it's just another sign of aging.
Nah, it just means that SH3Cmdr cleans up well after itself when you uninstall it by leaving behind any of the add-ons that you have applied in the meantime. This means that you don't have to reinstall everything when you upgrade your SH3Cmdr version.

nervouspete
05-15-08, 08:24 AM
If you want radio then look at my post http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136657 .At the weekend I'll look at breaking it all down into year by year files and uploading to FF.

That would be completely wonderful Herr Trigger mate. It's not just adding immersion to the game for me, it really is quite an experience hearing the old broadcasts and realising that this was modern warfare, in a modern age - with a great uncertainty as to the future.

So if you can, please do upload. I'd really like to hear them. Bonus points if you do it in a handy SH3 Commander Date folder way! :)

Cheers!