PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for GWX 2.1 for SH3

Flashmax09
04-03-08, 10:50 AM
Been playing SH3 +GWX 2.0 for a while and I absolutely love it, but I also have some suggestions for GWX 2.1.

For me the fight in the atlantic its all about finding convoys, once I find one convoy I stick with that and attack it multiple times until I get sunk or run out of torpedos, then I head to home port.

Right now, the only way to find a convoy is sitting inside the choke points in shallow water.

My suggestion would be for GWX 2.1, if you guys could add vicinity routes of each convoy per year.

The map that comes with the stock game has convoy routes included plus the years those routes where travelled, but in the real game those routes are whortless.

Not sure if you can even do this within the game, but I am sure in reality the U-Boat captains knew all the major convoy routes that were taken, so they hang around those areas or listen to BdU to intercept convoys.

Anyway just an idea. Good job with GWX 2.0, best sumbsim to date for SH3.

cheers,

Dowly
04-03-08, 11:00 AM
Be more aggressive! :yep:

Hanomag
04-03-08, 11:26 AM
Kaluen Flashmax09 Welcome Aboard! :arrgh!:

For very accurate maps of merchant traffic I suggest you try the BdU launches: Operation Spinnennetz! (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=116182) link in the sticky area above.

Penelope_Grey
04-03-08, 12:21 PM
On the Navigation Map screen (F5) there in the top left corner is a brown tab with a pull down map which shows you several things.

1. Convoy routes and single merchant routes
2. Shaded areas of high naval traffic.
3. Air cover ranges various years of the war

This should help you to find and intercept convoys. Along their general routes.

Is this what you meant?

Sailor Steve
04-03-08, 01:47 PM
WELCOME ABOARD!:sunny:

I might also suggest that you get SH3 Gen. It gives information in a realistic manner, and is also adjustable as to how much it gives (it can show you everything that's in the game at any given time, if you want life easy) and adjustable as to how accurate the information is. I like to have info that might not be all that good, so I keep mine set pretty low.

Oh, and don't worry about compatibility: it's an external tool that works with any mod, just like SH3 Commander. You do have SH3 Commander, don't you?

mlp071
04-03-08, 04:47 PM
Welcome,

and other than in game pull up map you really shouldn't need any other help for finding convoys.Just patrol those sectors lanes and read what periods of war they were active.

Note that some( many) of convoys are traveling outside those lines , so thats not to accurate. Last 2 large convoys i encountered were far away from convoy lanes.

I have no problems runing into them, and i am no expert by any means and purposes. Usually i run into 2-3 convoys per patrol, more then i have torpedos for it.

Plus i always avoid choke points , which could be death traps later in the war.

Good hunting:up:

Elmer Kosterman
04-04-08, 07:01 AM
I am sure in reality the U-Boat captains knew all the major convoy routes that were taken, so they hang around those areas or listen to BdU to intercept convoys.

Once the war started, ships and convoyed didn't just use the same ol' routes because that's the first place U-boats would be looking for them. Keep in mind, the British could monitor German communications and often knew exactly where the subs were stationed. Because of this, they were able to route convoys around U-boat picket lines.

Canovaro
04-04-08, 07:54 AM
Operation Spinnennetz has info about convoys and may be of help. See my signature.

You can also use that pull out map as the backround map in the F5 station. There is a mod for that.
If you're interested let me know.