PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Fooooood

thyro
04-02-08, 04:03 PM
we are all for historically correct, realism this and that but hold on...

air limit
fuel limit
bats limit
hull limit
torps limit
shells limit
deep limit

AND about food? no limit?... nice WWII subs had food replications like the Star Treky ships ;)

have a mod guru thought about creating a mod which introduced a food limit?... so for a sub cannot be 6 to 12 months out cruising at 1kn max speed?

Cheers

Able72
04-02-08, 04:30 PM
It has been discussed.

Submariners were some of the best fed sailors in the navy. From what I've heard, there have been no reports of boats returning from patrol because they ran out of food. Running out of Fish and other supplies, yes, but never for lack of food.

tedhealy
04-02-08, 04:59 PM
If you've managed to be on patrol for 2 months, think about returning to base. If you have been out there for 3 months and done some crazy fuel conservation, RTB. No real hard limit needed I would think.

LaughingSwordfish
04-02-08, 05:03 PM
When I play I plot course for home after 2 months on patrol even if I still have fuel or torpedoes left. That`s my way of simulating provisions.

THE_MASK
04-02-08, 05:17 PM
I think limited fuel pretty well does it for me , especially in an s boat :damn:

thyro
04-02-08, 05:26 PM
If you've managed to be on patrol for 2 months, think about returning to base. If you have been out there for 3 months and done some crazy fuel conservation, RTB. No real hard limit needed I would think.
up to 10 months is well feasible at 1kn/2kn from uboat base near Sri Lanka (cant remeber its name) down to Cape Town (SA) and return beside doing couple torped runs... and wait for prey.

No refueling ships available neither friendly port... so 10 months was possible then my crew either fished on the way back, managed to collect water from rain or starved to death :)

oh BTW 2 missions after same thing... but even longer... found that south of SA doesn't have icebergs and pinguins don't fly neither exist and surface ice can be seen at bottom of the sea ;)

so food/water are critical to have and have them as limits on the game like fuel is.

not all the indian ocean ports were hostile during WWII, some were neutral and a subs could well restock food supplies to carry on its jorney even if that emply no refuel neither requip.

thyro
04-02-08, 05:33 PM
I think limited fuel pretty well does it for me , especially in an s boat :damn:

get it down to 1kn/2kn diesel + electrics and you can almost circle the world on that S ;) but 2 or 4 missions are enough to get better sub ;)

tedhealy
04-02-08, 06:01 PM
I went to the doctor and told him it hurts when I do this.

Doctor said, "Don't do that."

If you travel at a realistic speed, fuel should limit your endurance. If that's not enough, set 2 to 3 months as your virtual limit on provisions and RTB at an appropriate time.

Fincuan
04-02-08, 06:01 PM

get it down to 1kn/2kn diesel + electrics and you can almost circle the world on that S ;) but 2 or 4 missions are enough to get better sub ;)

Nope, because the best range vs. consumption for the S-boats is around 5 knots, not 1-2.

LukeFF
04-02-08, 06:33 PM
Type IXs carried provisions for 12 weeks at sea:

http://www.uboat.net/men/foodstuffs.htm

gimpy117
04-02-08, 11:35 PM
if you runo out of fuel you'll get more and you'll prolly get more food from the tender as well

thyro
04-03-08, 03:28 AM
Far from being a SH envangelist, SH does lack of food supplies as variable to limit the time out on the sea.

Rely on fuel and imagine it as "crew food" doesn't work. Since fuel can last longer, for months and months depending on capts hability to save it.

Its all about a game and like any game it lacks of reality. But for sure missing out food is a major hole in such simulation game in my view.

andycaccia
04-03-08, 07:12 AM
Best submarines carried supplies for 3-4 months. Even large moder boats like Typhoon ssbn have supplies for 120 days

Able72
04-03-08, 09:19 AM
so don't 'imagine' you have food. Track it like you would for anything else.

You give yourself whatever was realistic provisions, say food for 90 days/crew member. Track when you leave for patrol, and be sure to return within 90 days. It only gets complicated if you lose crew. But if that happens you'll most likey be returning to port anyway.

Kruniac
04-09-08, 02:33 PM
We could also imagine the waves are higher, the torpedos move faster, and we can imagine a lot of things for realism.

He asked about a mod for food realism, not to be pointed in the direction of his imagination.

Could food be done with triggers after a certain time period, that time period being reset upon Refitting at a port/supply ship?