PDA

View Full Version : Need Pros to answer these editor questions...

Jib01
02-18-08, 07:30 PM
Searching thru all the topics it is hard to find answers about what files can be edited and saved as edited.

There are normal .mis files that create the .mis and .tsr files. We are all acquainted with those.

Then there are Rnd Layer which opens Random Groups into the editor (but how do you know it is a Rnd Layer ??)

Then there are the Scripted Layer for non-random units (How do you know what is what ?)

Then there are MapNotes Layer for map notes only (again how do you know it is a mapnotes layer ?)

Then there are LandUnits Layer for ports,aerodromes,shore batteries, etc. (how do you know again which file this is ??)

I have been trying to edit the campaign_LOC layer file which shows the names of locations and the ports. I can add and edit new ports and names but it will not save them in the file.

Is this a limitation of the editor where we have to hand write down all the information for the new add and then open up notepad and add it in text ??

Are there some tools out there that can save the file as edited in the editor ??

Is there a more up to date SH4 Editor tutorial other than the splendid SH3 editor description ??

campaign_LOC saves off as a 1k file with nothing in it after editing the original which is 467kb in size. Why ???

Please, some assistance....
Thanks
Jib01
:damn: :damn: :damn: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Torps
02-19-08, 12:26 AM
Well there are a few tools I use,

This is a nice plug in for photoshop, check it out you will understand why.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

I use a free program called Gimp also for editing game images.
http://www.gimp.org/

and lastly I use Skwasjer's mod tool, you can edit almost anything. The link will lead you to the download link and to all the info you want on it.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119571

Good luck, I know I really didnt answer your exact question I just hope it helps, and points you in the right direction.

AkbarGulag
02-19-08, 01:42 AM
Hey Jib01 :)

You may also want to trawl through this section for answers...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=222

Pretty much most discussions and tips for the editor are found here.

tater
02-19-08, 09:24 AM
The different layer types are from SH3 I believe. SH4 doesn't care.

the tsr files hold the text information (events, mission titles, etc)

Campaign.cfg points the game at files for the campaign. List a mis file there (after the pattern) and it will be loaded by the campaign (or single missions, etc, there is a line for that).

Jib01
02-19-08, 10:11 AM
campaign_LOC saves off as a 1k file with nothing in it after editing the original which is 467kb in size. Why ???

This is my biggest problem trying to save the edits.

Any answers for this ?

Regards
Jib01

tater
02-19-08, 11:03 AM
Ah yes. How are you saving it? There are a few save options. You can hit the save ICON, or you can save as "scripted" I believe. Save the wrong way and it gets erased.

Jib01
02-20-08, 12:05 AM
Tater,

oK, I made the edits to the campaign_LOC and loaded it as a scripted file and added the Truk Docks and saved it off as scripted file and it worked. But it still writes the .tsr which is not needed so I remove it and it works fine.

Next question is when I merge files and make additions hopefully I can save the file that I last loaded and save it separately. In order to add ships at the dock I need to overlay Japanese_harbor stuff on top of Campaign_LOC to add them. I'll try it and see if there are any problems.

Thanks for helping out on this.....

Regards
Jib01

tater
02-20-08, 01:03 AM
FWIW there should be no docks at Truk.

Truk was an anchorage with very primitive port facilities. Anything taken ashore was done by lighters.

In general, except for a few of the developed, larger ports, even the 2 "very small" pacific ports are too big and european looking for the PTO.

tater

Jib01
02-20-08, 03:57 PM
Tater, understand about Truk. Just using it to learn the system.

Well, I think I got it now. I can add Ports, ships, random generated units and just about anything the Editor can do now. Just a few more things and I will be ready to go.

My concern was that going thru the sim from start to finish I never saw major warships at any of the ports even Tokyo which is really not factual. We need to have the ports that supported the Japanese Navy during the war loaded like they were. This should be in the campaign. That is what I am gearing towards.

I'm more than halfway thru Silent Victory by Blair so that will be my reference.

Thanks again for the clues. I guess you learn by doing and making mistakes. There needs to be written information about the Load and Save routines in the editor. Why is it we always have to find out the hard way without Ubis help.

Again, thanks for the help...
Regards
Jib01
:up: :up: :up: :rock: :rock: :rock:

tater
02-20-08, 04:15 PM
If I may offer a campaign suggestion:

instead of putting ships in the IJN ports, make the ports impossible to infiltrate and forget about populating them. US subs never went into IJN ports as trivially as they do in SH4. Barely sticking a nose in happened, but was literally medal of honor stuff (and rare).

tater

Wilcke
02-20-08, 06:05 PM
Is there any kind of documentation for the Mission Editor? I guess I could look into the game DVD, but I have a suspicion that there is nothing there to look for.

Jib01
02-20-08, 07:00 PM
Wilcke,

this is the best one I have found. The rest is trial and error but this is a great start. As far as I know this is the latest...
There is no SH4 editor tutorial or manual as far as I know. This is a detailed manual for SH3 which is mostly the same.

http://www.3rdflotilla.org/resources/sh3_missioneditor_v10.pdf

Hope that helps....
Jib01
:smug: :smug: :smug:

Jib01
02-20-08, 07:04 PM
If I may offer a campaign suggestion:

instead of putting ships in the IJN ports, make the ports impossible to infiltrate and forget about populating them. US subs never went into IJN ports as trivially as they do in SH4. Barely sticking a nose in happened, but was literally medal of honor stuff (and rare).

tater

Many of the subs just waited outside the bay for the ships to come out and then made their attack. I put destroyers and subchasers at the entrance to ward off the subs. That's the way it was.....

Thanks
Jib01