PDA

View Full Version : Where is the japanese navy?

fvd
02-14-08, 08:22 AM
Hi,

I'm running the latest versions of TM and RSRD.
It's great but i am wondering why there are no warship encounters and no task forces? (untill now, playing my eight' patrol)
Also, i don't get any missions which order me to attack an enemy task force, i should think these were realistic mission objectives once planes (or intel-reports) spot these ships, no?

Thanks and regards,
fvd

AVGWarhawk
02-14-08, 10:17 AM
I can not speak of TM but I can for RSRD. I have seen, been advised and attacked task forces plenty of times. I run RFB with RSRD.

xristoskaiti
02-14-08, 10:29 AM
i with tm I reached outside from osaka............only dd me it located other me it did not sink......the harbours need a lot of improvement:88) :88)

ReallyDedPoet
02-14-08, 10:55 AM
If you go into the Mission Editor you can see where all of the contacts are by year, be it Merchant, Convoys, Task Forces, etc. However, because the campaign has been modified you will get a lot of ship not found messages when opening the editor, just hit ok a bunch of times, eventually you will get in.

When there, go to the campaign folder and select the group/year you want to see movement for. The groups are there in TM, they are just harder to find, sort of the opposite of stock.

RDP

DavyJonesFootlocker
02-14-08, 12:09 PM
If you encounter a TF and surfaced just lock onto a ship or two, radio in to command and in a short while surfaced or not you'll see a message with orders on the TF. That's the only time I get orders to attack a TF.

fvd
02-14-08, 01:53 PM
When there, go to the campaign folder and select the group/year you want to see movement for. The groups are there in TM, they are just harder to find, sort of the opposite of stock.

RDP

Hi RDP,

If you say "opposite of stock" i wonder which is the most realistic, TM or stock?
Maybe something in between would be nice?
Anyway, i still think that some missions which orders you to attack task forces would give a realistic effect and also would make it a bit more "thrilling" and exiting instead of seeking freighters al the time.

But hey, this is no critics because i love these mods and i respect the hard and difficult work it took to make them!

Regards,
fvd

AVGWarhawk
02-14-08, 01:58 PM

RDP
Hi RDP,

If you say "opposite of stock" i wonder which is the most realistic, TM or stock?
Anyway, i still think that some missions which orders you to attack task forces would give a realistic effect and also would make it a bit more "thrilling" and exiting instead of seeking freighters al the time.

But hey, this is no critics because i love these mods and i respect the hard and difficult work it took to make them!

Regards,
fvd
To get missions to attack task forces, install RSRD. I know for a fact that starting in Cavite and using the porpoise, you will be sent north right into a task force heading to Manilla. Lurker has added so much immersion from RL happenings including clipboard messages of convoys and task forces. Try it. You will love the mod. TM does some traffic changes but nothing touches Lurkers RSRD.

ReallyDedPoet
02-14-08, 01:59 PM

RDP
Hi RDP,

Regards,
fvd

Stock is def. not realistic, I know it can be sometimes frustrating to find stuff, but that was the life of a WWII Skipper. At least we can pause the game or hit save then go do something else :p

RDP

Archie
02-14-08, 05:20 PM

RDP
Hi RDP,

Regards,
fvd
Stock is def. not realistic, I know it can be sometimes frustrating to find stuff, but that was the life of a WWII Skipper. At least we can pause the game or hit save then go do something else :p

RDP

Thats it in a nutshell RDP, I guess some of us appreciate the realism that is brought in by forcing us to search hard for targets and potentially go weeks without seeing anything, but thats the way it was, and I for one love it that way.... The other side of that coin is the group who want a balance between realism and instant action with a flood of targets to shoot at. I don't know where that balance would lie, perhaps a TM (or RFB) / RSRDC loadout for us, and a TM (RFB) / Modified stock traffic layers version for the others.

ReallyDedPoet
02-14-08, 07:25 PM
and a TM (RFB) / Modified stock traffic layers version for the others.

That very well may happen in time, somewhere as you mention, between stock and the larger mods that presently exist.

RDP

linerkiller
02-15-08, 02:06 AM
There are a lot of destroyer activity around Okinawa and old cruiser (kuma-katori class) line patrols around Iwo Jima during late 1942.I havent encountered a task force yet, but this is historically correct, since a lot of subs didn't encountered a TF during their entire career.:stare: :damn:
I play TM + RSRDC latest version

Sirkam
02-15-08, 05:10 AM
Mmmm....i encountered a TF (with the Yamato inside) in my first patrol....:lol: ....then i awake from my dream xDDD.

The only Task Forces ready to attack them are in the Single missions...:hmm:

fvd
02-15-08, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk:
To get missions to attack task forces, install RSRD. I know for a fact that starting in Cavite and using the porpoise, you will be sent north right into a task force heading to Manilla. Lurker has added so much immersion from RL happenings including clipboard messages of convoys and task forces. Try it. You will love the mod. TM does some traffic changes but nothing touches Lurkers RSRD.

Hi AVG,

Thanks for the advice, but if you read my original question you can see i do use RSRD. ;)
That's exactly why i thought it was a bit strange not to find any task forces...

Regards,
fvd

AVGWarhawk
02-15-08, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk:
Hi AVG,

Thanks for the advice, but if you read my original question you can see i do use RSRD. ;)
That's exactly why i thought it was a bit strange not to find any task forces...

Regards,
fvd

Sorry, I did not read that part. Here is something strange. I use RFB/RSRD. I had originally ran RFB then RSRD. I was not getting many messages. I decided to change things around during mod intallations. All ROW first, RSRD and then RFB. Once I did this and started a patrol, I started getting a crap load of radio messages of task forces and convoys. Also, did you get the latest patch for RSRD that adds a better percentage of single vessels spawns? Change you mods around to see if you start getting messages. From what I understand, TM has it's own campaign layers and it might be possible that mixing in RSRD with TM is creating the radio silence issue. I'm not sure. RFB concerns itself only with the sub and all that is in it. RSRD concerns itself with traffic and radio messages, ROW is just the environment. To me, keeping these three separate but loaded in this sequence does not create conflicts. Anyway, at the end of these three I load up textures for subs and the ROW sound package. All is working well. I do know that RFB is working towards having the three major components noted above work together. Ducimus for his own reasons has stopped working on TM. RFB is marching ahead in leaps and bounds, looking to make a substantial mod package. Check out the thread for RFB and perhaps you might want to give this a try.

fvd
02-15-08, 10:07 AM
Hi AVG,

Yes, i got the latest RSRD version, and before installing the new version of TM and RSRD i heard around here to be sure to install everything in the right order.
I tried RFB a couple of days but did not like it so i went back to TM.
So maybe i can try to change the order of activating the mods...
With all these mods there really should be some guide about installing.
Now many people don't know what interfere's with what, so confusion rules.:-?

Thanks and regards,
fvd

ReallyDedPoet
02-15-08, 10:18 AM
With all these mods there really should be some guide about installing.

That is the million dollar question ( well sort of :doh: ), however things change here so quickly with regards to mods, be it new ones created or those being updated, that this would be very difficult to do.

Knowing what file does what, helps with understanding stuff being overwritten ( this comes with experience\time ). Also, most mods are good to point out how and if a mods conflicts with another. This is a nice updated guide for installing mods, this was taken from the UBI Forums:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/5181035206

RDP

AlmightyTallest
02-17-08, 04:56 PM
April 1945 using TM 1.7.6 RSRD patch 3, Headed to Kure harbor, ran into TF with Yamato, Put 6 torpedos into Yamato at 1700 yards...... Watched through periscope as some torpedoes touched off secondaries, ship took on a list as fires spread and more secondary explosions went off.

Spent next 3 hours doing every trick in the book trying to evade a very angry TF now devoid of their objective to protect the Yamato. Moved closer to Kure, ran into a docked ISE late war conversion battleship and put 6 more topedoes into her. Decided it was getting way to risky and headed back to Guam. :D

Man I love this sim, especially with all the great mods! :D

walrusbomb
02-18-08, 12:42 PM
I get the "Engage" greenlight every time I make a Contact Report... It's starting to feel very static. automatic.

Wouldn't a few "Do not engage, remain on course" orders be more realistic?

TM/RSRD here.

SgtWalt65
02-20-08, 06:37 PM

RDP
Hi RDP,

Regards,
fvd

I have installed the RSRD and have yet to be given anything other than a patrol mission or supply drop and have yet to see a task force anywhere near me. There usually over 1000+ nm's away and moving away, leaving me no chance of catching them even on the surface. Not 1 single TF attack mission out of 25+ missions I have ran in 3 different campaigns from late 1942, mid to late 43 and late 44.
Not to mention that regardless of staying within 100 nm's of a patrol mission, it almost never completes even after waiting a whole 14 days :doh: . I was even completely out of torpedos after sinking 8 merchant vessels.

lurker_hlb3
02-21-08, 12:25 AM
Start a Career with Task Force 42/72 or SubPac on date June 5th 1944

swdw
02-21-08, 01:05 AM
Running RSRD and starting with a porpoise, I was just given patrol orders too. But then I interecepted the task force coming out of indonesia. Got spotted and was worked over pretty good by the task force but stayed on patrol and it paid off. Then I ran into a convoy of 6 freighters w 2 DD's. With the RFB torpedo realism I damaged 2 freighters with 6 fish fired. Surfaced later and shadowed them, attacked again at night and all fish missed or were duds. Later caught a lone freighter and sunk him. Used every torpedo I had on the patrol, only 4 hits- rest were misses, under runners, or duds. 3 misses I can see even w/o the mod as they were snapshots at charging destroyers. So the torpedo mod was pretty right on as was RSRD.

Limped back to base and after repairs & refit was sent out east of celebes. Found a force of 4 destroyers napping at night. Crept in and fired four fish but all 4 missed.

Snuck off south and right into a stationary task force of several destroyers and a cruiser. Got the cruiser. They chased in the wrong direction so I just slipped away.

So you do run into them. Just wish I had time to finish that patrol, too much real life and RFB stuff to do right now.

Saintaw
02-21-08, 03:23 AM
Am using TM and RSRD... verry nice work!

but.... (isn't there always one?;))

Am now at my 3rd patrol (Started in 41, am now in Jan 42)... and all I have seen so far are fishing boats, I had to go into the saigon port to see static merchants and at least get a kill.

I try not to run around like a headless chick... what I usualy do: 15mins submerged followed by 1h 45 minutes surfaced (using 512 time compression, speed 2/3rd, using the "p" & "s" keys).

Yes, I know... "they often went at sea without seeing anything for days(tm)" ... this is still a game as far as I'm concerned... and sitting around for two evenings hitting "p/s" repeatedly isn't very time efficient.

I have thus come to the following conclusion:

I am either doing something wrong, or you are all a bunch of unemployed/retired old men ;)

[the above was tongue in cheek for those humour impaired]

Seriously, I need more FUD!