PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Historically accurate 4-Bladed propellers for all Subs

kapitan_zur_see
01-21-08, 07:57 PM
Hi, mates :arrgh!:

Okay some of you already read that... but for the newcommers:

Hi captains! :arrgh!:

Following some very stubborned attempts at importing a 3dmodel inside SH4 and making its texture to work, i've finally made it :know:
I've had to deal with certain restrictions so as for now, it doesn't quite match the level of quality we'll be able to reach in a near future, especially regarding how light reacts on the model... But can't say i'm quite proud :rotfl:Skwasjer will know why lol :lol:

Ok, as some of you may already knows, US submarines of that era were using 4 blades propellers during war instead of the 3 blades one the devs modelled. So i've modelled one myself and got it retextured. Propellers have now their own separate texture also instead of sharing a tiny part of the hull general texture (hence very low-res).

Subs included are Tambor, Gato, Balao, Porpoise, Salmon and Sargo class
However, for now on, i've not included S-Class subs since i doubt they were fitted with such propellers (being rather used as old training platforms, i think)

Features:

New 3D 4-bladed propeller model
Hi-res texture (1024x1024) for best close-up details
Correct pitch for left and right propellers (fix vanilla model)
100% ROW compatible
After/Before screenies (previous lower-res version)

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3033/4bladevl8.jpg

It's 100% latest ROW COMPATIBLE. All you have to do is installing it AFTER ROW (or ROW would overwrite it...). Use JSGME...

Download locations:

rapidshare.com (http://rapidshare.com/files/85573398/Historical_4_bladed_props.rar)

subsim (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3702)

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5729/propvy6.jpg (http://www.4shared.com/file/35520293/ec0f567f/Historical_4_bladed_props.html)http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5729/propvy6.jpg (http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=OTDOANQG)http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5729/propvy6.jpg (http://rapidshare.com/files/85573398/Historical_4_bladed_props.rar)

Have fun using this!

Special thanks for Skwas and his fantastic S3D

donut
01-21-08, 08:17 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5940/thanks31jr6.gif (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/)Again super !

kapitan_zur_see
01-21-08, 08:24 PM
you're welcome ;)
My pleasure :smug:
And thanks :D

ATR-42
01-21-08, 11:20 PM
Seriously, between You, Ducimus, TRM and a handful of others, you guys have been ON FIRE this month with these mod releases!!!

Nice work Zur! they look great. my crew is very happy with their new 'wheels', the xo told me himself. less vibrations, everyones sleeping better, the crew of the Drum thanks you as well :D

Mush Martin
01-22-08, 06:57 AM
:up::up::up::up:

andycaccia
01-22-08, 08:56 AM
Well done Kapitan!:up: We all are proud of you! This is one of the best realism modifications ever made!:know:

Congratulations!!

Q3ark
01-22-08, 09:55 AM
This is great, nice work Kapitan. Only problen is, the props are now turning the wrong way on my install (using this with TM). As can be seen in the picture in the op, the prop blades are facing the opposite direction to stock. Is it possible to fix this using S3D? which file do I need to adjust to make the props spin the other way?

kapitan_zur_see
01-22-08, 01:07 PM
This is great, nice work Kapitan. Only problen is, the props are now turning the wrong way on my install (using this with TM). As can be seen in the picture in the op, the prop blades are facing the opposite direction to stock. Is it possible to fix this using S3D? which file do I need to adjust to make the props spin the other way?
Dunno... It's probably not inside any subs main .dat files since my mod overwrites them no matter what you've installed before. Could you please ask TM maker? I have TM 1.7.5 installed and it turns the good way for me. Are you sure you weren't fooled by the "blades opposite direction to stock propeller" thing? For me, Left prop is turning clockwise while right one is turning counterclockwise wich, with vanilla propeller 3dmodel current pitch of blades, should make the sub to go backward. Look closely at slow speed and report to me if the propellers movement are opposite to mine because i've modelled my props regarding this movement.

BTW, thank you so much to you all for all those congrats ;) It's very appreciated!:oops:

kapitan_zur_see
01-22-08, 01:12 PM
Seriously, between You, Ducimus, TRM and a handful of others, you guys have been ON FIRE this month with these mod releases!!!

Nice work Zur! they look great. my crew is very happy with their new 'wheels', the xo told me himself. less vibrations, everyones sleeping better, the crew of the Drum thanks you as well :D

lol tell 'em to stay tuned, there is new rooms opened for improvements now that i can import 3dModels ;)

Ivan Putski
01-22-08, 01:21 PM
Very well done, and a big thank you.:up: :up:

Will-Rommel
01-22-08, 02:32 PM
[quote=
lol tell 'em to stay tuned, there is new rooms opened for improvements now that i can import 3dModels ;)[/quote]

I look forward to see this !

swdw
01-22-08, 02:50 PM
For anyone interestedthat uses RFB for stock, I checked this out with the next RC of Real Fleet Boat being worked on and it works fine with RFB for ROW, and RFB for stock. If you are running the current RFB for stock, I think it will work with that too. Give it a try.

STEED
01-22-08, 04:29 PM
Wonderful. :up:

Shipwreck
01-22-08, 04:56 PM
:rock: AWESOME!!! work Bro, thanks:up:

SW

AVGWarhawk
01-22-08, 05:34 PM
I have a four blade prop:o They can in a pair! Awesome!

kapitan_zur_see
01-22-08, 09:28 PM
Glad you like it ;)
Can't tell you much for now or be sure of if i'll be capable to release it, but i'm working on something way bigger :yep:
Think about the Narwhal but 3D modelled :hmm:
i've started working on blueprints i've gathered...
I think i could handle it with minor "not exactly 100% faithfull". But it will be a real narwhal model at the correct scale ingame

Ducimus
01-22-08, 10:38 PM
Glad you like it ;)
Can't tell you much for now or be sure of if i'll be capable to release it, but i'm working on something way bigger :yep:
Think about the Narwhal but 3D modelled :hmm:
i've started working on blueprints i've gathered...
I think i could handle it with minor "not exactly 100% faithfull". But it will be a real narwhal model at the correct scale ingame

THat be pretty sweet. I knew at some point someone would try to make a better narhwal mod. I didnt call my narhwall "psuedo narwhal" for nothing. 3d modeling is a skillset not present in my modding toolbox. Hell, i can't even view 3d models, let alone make any.

Reece
01-23-08, 01:01 AM
Excellent job! Thanks very much!:up:

Ducimus
01-23-08, 04:41 AM
Just tried the mod out. Pretty spiffy!

I have two questions:

1.) The dat files you used are from the latest ROW sub reflectioins?

2.) Mind if i include it in the lastest TM build im still slaving away on?

andycaccia
01-23-08, 05:28 AM
Hi, about propeller direction I've checked the differences between your mod and both the stock game (ver 1.4) and propeller fix mod. Actually the propellers blades direction in your mod is the same as the stock game, while the "fixed" propellers have the opposite blade direction. Thay always turn clockwise (left propeller shaft) and couter-clockwise (right propeller shaft) both in stock game and with mods installed. So the propelelr fix simply (well, not very simply) changed the blades directions to make it compatible with the turning directions of the propeller shaft which actualy remained unchanged. I do not have RFB, nor TM, so I do non know If they change something...but I fear the only way we have to restore the correct propeller rotation is to change the blades directions, unless we find how to change the rotation itself (in other words we should set the Left Propeller to run counterclockwise and the right one clockwise).:damn:

Any Idea??:hmm:

kapitan_zur_see
01-23-08, 05:59 AM
Just tried the mod out. Pretty spiffy!

I have two questions:

1.) The dat files you used are from the latest ROW sub reflectioins?

2.) Mind if i include it in the lastest TM build im still slaving away on?

1.) Yes, it's from latest ROW

2.) Go ahead ;) thanks for asking :up:

pythos
01-23-08, 08:47 AM
Nice mod, but a problem. The porpoise, Sargo, and Tambor, had three bladed props. The four bladed did not come out until the advent of the Gato class. All boats after had the four bladed model. I think the Balao had one step further and some had a strange looking 5 bladed prop. Not sure on, more research needed.

kapitan_zur_see
01-23-08, 12:59 PM
interesting...
Tell me if you discover more about it

andycaccia
01-23-08, 01:10 PM
Any clue about the wrong direction of the propeller rotation? They rotate as moving backward. How can I correct this, kapitan?

:ahoy:"no solutions on sight, Sir !!"

Donner
01-23-08, 01:25 PM
Nice mod, but a problem. The porpoise, Sargo, and Tambor, had three bladed props. The four bladed did not come out until the advent of the Gato class. All boats after had the four bladed model.

Correct! According to Norman Friedman, author of US Submarines Through 1945: An Illustrated Design History, three bladed props were the norm until Gato-class. I find no mention of five-bladed props for the Balao's. Perhaps this was done after the war? :-?

Cheers! :ping:

kapitan_zur_see
01-23-08, 02:11 PM
Any clue about the wrong direction of the propeller rotation? They rotate as moving backward. How can I correct this, kapitan?

:ahoy:"no solutions on sight, Sir !!"

nope, sorry :cry:
If i understand correct, it looks like most of my mod is to get rid unless gato class lol
Going back to work on other things for the moment...
:lurk:

Will-Rommel
01-23-08, 03:53 PM
Personnally, the idea that 4 bladed props didn't see action before the Gato release isn't bothering me that much.

I love those new propellers, good skin, great textures (compared to the stock 3 blades) and nice motion to watch.

Donner
01-23-08, 04:05 PM
Personnally, the idea that 4 bladed props didn't see action before the Gato release isn't bothering me that much.

I love those new propellers, good skin, great textures (compared to the stock 3 blades) and nice motion to watch.

It doesn't bother me either. I did some research and threw my findings out there. Whatever kapitan chooses to do is ok by me...:yep:

I am impatiently waiting on more info on his Narwhal creation! :D

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-23-08, 04:09 PM
You da man! Tried it out in TM and it looks spiffy! :up: Like the swirl effects on it too. Gonna use it on RFB and see. Shouldn't make much of a difference. Again nice job!

donut
01-23-08, 04:37 PM
Pitch is hard to see. Thought they were turning wrong though !:hmm: If it isn't one thing it's another,:lol:

kapitan_zur_see
01-23-08, 05:13 PM
I am impatiently waiting on more info on his Narwhal creation! :D

I'm currently working very hard on it ;)
It got me to learn lots of new things about modelling in 3DSmax. You see, modelling some propellers is one thing, but an entirely new submarine from scratch is very very hard lol It just that i have to practice some more :hmm:
But eventually, i think i'll manage (i hope at least lol)
I do have a kinda nice blueprint with left and top view of a narwhal, but infortunately not front view wich makes things harder.
If anyone has any good pics, blueprints whatever usefull... think about me ;)

Torps
01-23-08, 07:28 PM
Nice mod, but a problem. The porpoise, Sargo, and Tambor, had three bladed props. The four bladed did not come out until the advent of the Gato class. All boats after had the four bladed model.

Correct! According to Norman Friedman, author of US Submarines Through 1945: An Illustrated Design History, three bladed props were the norm until Gato-class. I find no mention of five-bladed props for the Balao's. Perhaps this was done after the war? :-?

Cheers! :ping:

Also around 1943-1944 all US Sub types which under went refit, had been upgraded with 4 the blade props :know: .

Capt Jack Harkness
01-27-08, 06:17 AM
Not to nitpick, but were the boats' props really that crudded up? And the props are rotating backwards... They are on the right shafts with the right pitches, but the shafts are spinning the wrong way (just like vanilla). Anyways, nice work on the model/texture, hope we can find a proper fix for this problem...

Oh and someone mentioned 5-blade props on some Balaos: The post-war Tench class and some Guppy converted Balaos had 5-bladers, not the wartime boats.

http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/Gallery/Guppy3/MVC-015S.JPG

andycaccia
01-27-08, 07:00 AM
Nice Model!

skwasjer
01-27-08, 07:02 AM
To swap the prop direction try swap the x-offset values of the nodes for left and right prop. Iow. you want to move the left prop to the right location, and vice versa. You'd have to change the pitch again as well though (either in 3D suite or you can try rotation -XZ?). This is a bit of a hack, but I haven't investigated if there are other ways to do this... Just an idea ;)

andycaccia
01-27-08, 08:13 AM
I guess I could use S3ditor to do that, I could try and see what happens. Confronting stock game sh4 and the 4 blade mod I noticed that the propellers blades had the same direction, while they were inverted in the popular propeller fix mod (later included in some other works)...hope it works.

Thanks skwasjer...from the Olympus...a true Deus Ex Machina...indeed.:up:

andycaccia
01-27-08, 08:37 AM
:rock: IT WORKS!!!:rock:

Just swapped the X Offset values in the nodes and now the propellers are fine.:arrgh!:

Excellent idea skwasjer, thank you again.:yep: :up:

Sailor Steve
01-27-08, 01:50 PM
A lot of work for something that we'll never see.

External view? What's that?:rotfl:

Aw, who am I kidding? This is great! Thanks for all the trouble, KzS.:rock:

Canonicus
01-27-08, 03:19 PM
FYI....Make sure to swap the "XZ" values or the prop shafts wont be seated in there stern tubes correctly. I found this out after making the "X" changes to the Porpoise class subs.

Cheers!

andycaccia
01-27-08, 03:39 PM
I tested the Gato class with the X offset inverted and It looks fine. Did not touch anything else at the moment. I will change all subs when I have a free minute (penal law is hard to study:88) )...

Canonicus, are you sure you swapped the right offset values? My changes are OK, on the gato class at least..

skwasjer
01-27-08, 04:34 PM
:sunny:

[edit] There's one but... The .zon file needs to be corrected as well. Moving the visual object (3D model) requires the SH3ZonesCtrl to be swapped as well. I think the easiest way to do this is by swapping the parent id's between the two controllers that are linked to the props. Also, I have no idea what the effect of a broken prop is (iow. the wrong prop may be broken). I suggest one of you tests this out before making this change across all submarines...

That, or investigate other (better?) ways of changing rotation direction... I have no other ideas though...

Canonicus
01-27-08, 04:56 PM
I tested the Gato class with the X offset inverted and It looks fine. Did not touch anything else at the moment. I will change all subs when I have a free minute (penal law is hard to study:88) )...

Canonicus, are you sure you swapped the right offset values? My changes are OK, on the gato class at least..

Yes...I had to make the "XZ" swap after I noticed that the ends of the prop shafts, where they enter the subs hull, were sticking out and not aligned properly with the stern tubes.

I had to do this for the Porpoise class only.

Gato, Balao... looked fine.

Cheers!

kapitan_zur_see
01-27-08, 05:12 PM
well done ;) but if you just invert, then the 3dmodel will be wrong lol (blades pitch not correct...)

rascal101
01-27-08, 07:33 PM
Perhaps I'm having a bad hair day, I cant seem to find the dl link for this mod covering all sub props, I dont see a link for it

Hi, mates :arrgh!:

Okay some of you already read that... but for the newcommers:

Hi captains! :arrgh!:

Following some very stubborned attempts at importing a 3dmodel inside SH4 and making its texture to work, i've finally made it :know:
I've had to deal with certain restrictions so as for now, it doesn't quite match the level of quality we'll be able to reach in a near future, especially regarding how light reacts on the model... But can't say i'm quite proud :rotfl:Skwasjer will know why lol :lol:

Ok, as some of you may already knows, US submarines of that era were using 4 blades propellers during war instead of the 3 blades one the devs modelled. So i've modelled one myself and got it retextured. Propellers have now their own separate texture also instead of sharing a tiny part of the hull general texture (hence very low-res).

Subs included are Tambor, Gato, Balao, Porpoise, Salmon and Sargo class
However, for now on, i've not included S-Class subs since i doubt they were fitted with such propellers (being rather used as old training platforms, i think)

Features:

New 3D 4-bladed propeller model
Hi-res texture (1024x1024) for best close-up details
Correct pitch for left and right propellers (fix vanilla model)
100% ROW compatibleAfter/Before screenies (previous lower-res version)

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/3033/4bladevl8.jpg

It's 100% latest ROW COMPATIBLE. All you have to do is installing it AFTER ROW (or ROW would overwrite it...). Use JSGME...

...CLICK ON THE PROPELLERS TO DOWNLOAD...

4Shared.com Megaupload.com Rapidshare.com

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5729/propvy6.jpg (http://www.4shared.com/file/35520293/ec0f567f/Historical_4_bladed_props.html)http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5729/propvy6.jpg (http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=OTDOANQG)http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/5729/propvy6.jpg (http://rapidshare.com/files/85573398/Historical_4_bladed_props.rar)

Have fun using this!
Special thanks for Skwas and his fantastic S3D

Capt Jack Harkness
01-27-08, 07:51 PM
You need to click one of the three prop pictures under the server you want to download from.

And the X swap is only a band aid for the problem. As I've said, the props are mounted and pitched correctly the way they are, it just so happens that Ubi made the shafts spin the wrong way.

However, since the direction of shaft rotation does not change when the props are swapped, is there a way to swap the shafts instead of the props? Or maybe swap the engines/motors or something? That said, does anyone know what code determines the direction of the props/shafts?

Madox58
01-27-08, 08:06 PM
Direction of spin is determined 2 ways.
Which side of center is it on
and is it forwards or behind center
Center being determined by the X position for left to right,
Z position for front to back.

Also note that if a prop goes above surface of water?
It counter rotates.

Capt Jack Harkness
01-27-08, 11:47 PM
Alright, so long story short, is there a way to get the props spinning the right directions?

donut
01-28-08, 07:56 PM
Left Propeller to run counterclockwise and the right one clockwise,will fix the glitch.
link for new down-load desired______________:roll: Now that we are back in port for Refit.

mgd
01-28-08, 11:44 PM
one of the annoying things that got under my skin

good job on the fix

jbt308
01-29-08, 10:02 AM
I don't know if it was mentioned, but at full/flank speed, the shafts spin the correct direction in reference to the pitch of the props, however, at lower speed settings, they reverse. So at 1/3, they're spinning like if you were in 1/3 reverse, not forward. So I don't think reverseing the props X or Z or XZ would really help, as it seems to be a core coding issue. You'd have to be able to determine the rotation at all telegraph settings.

My .02

skwasjer
01-29-08, 11:13 AM
Car wheels spin backwards as well at high speed. I don't know if the RPM at flank speed could do the same to the way the human eye/brain interprets motion. But I also haven't looked at the issue ingame. Is only the shaft rotating incorrectly, or both the shaft and prop?

jbt308
01-29-08, 02:19 PM
I thought of this as well. I'll have to double check when I get home, but when I noticed it, I was only looking at the prop, not the shaft.

andycaccia
01-29-08, 03:36 PM
I'd like to see what happens if I swap the Rotation XZ and/or YZ in the node...
maybe we'll correct the wrong rotation of propellers instead of "PATCHING" the problem by inverting the propeller blades. Since the props were correct and the rotation was wrong.

Left Propeller to run counterclockwise and the right one clockwise,will fix the glitch.

If wrong Rotation values are responsible of this BUG I guess it will be easily fixed...I hope...:hmm:

Capt Jack Harkness
01-29-08, 05:00 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned, but at full/flank speed, the shafts spin the correct direction in reference to the pitch of the props, however, at lower speed settings, they reverse. So at 1/3, they're spinning like if you were in 1/3 reverse, not forward. So I don't think reverseing the props X or Z or XZ would really help, as it seems to be a core coding issue. You'd have to be able to determine the rotation at all telegraph settings.

My .02

It's because the props are making more than one revolution per frame at high speed, so they appear to be going backwards. Same thing happens if you shine a strobe light at a fan and adjust the frequency of flashes.

And yes, both the shafts and props spin the wrong direction.

skwasjer
01-29-08, 06:21 PM
By reading privateers post, the following may work. (again, theory!!!)

I think all you have to do is move the models in a 3D studio (ie. 3DSMax), and then make the X-swap in S3D (only remove or add sign!!). For instance, say left prop in S3D sits at X = -0.15, move the model in 3D studio by doubling this figure (-0.3), then in S3D move it to positive X-axis, at 0.15 (remove the sign). The result is -0.3 (model moved) + 0.3 (difference of X-change in S3D) = 0.0 so the model hasn't technically moved. The world offset is still ok, but the local offset is now positive to the game, "hopefully" resulting in an opposite rotation.

The same for right prop, but reversed.

The best person to test this is kapitan_zur_see, since he imported the models in the first place and has the sources and 3D studio to do it in.

[edit] changed description, I made a mistake (I made a dozen or so edits, lol)

kapitan_zur_see
01-29-08, 07:06 PM
mmm...
Interesting theory, skwas :hmm:
I'll try that. Not that i'm not occupied with that Narwhal modelling...;)

skwasjer
01-29-08, 07:07 PM
Must... have... correct... props... :smug: Now get to it you lazy bast :rotfl:

[edit] I'm not sure why I said the pitch would be screwed after doing that though. As the model would still sit at the correct spot. Even the zones don't have to be changed!

Lightning61
01-29-08, 10:33 PM
This could have been intentional on the dev side to imitate the RPM induced illusion.
Any spinning object will have a speed at which it begins to appear it's rotation is reversed.
Just an observation from an old automotive guy.

Excellent looking props! :|\\

Capt Jack Harkness
01-30-08, 07:55 PM
Kapitan, do you think you could get us retextured 3-bladers and high resolution cavitation bubbles (who else is sick of those milky clouds emanating from the props?)? If you can get around to it sometime, that is.

kapitan_zur_see
02-01-08, 04:01 PM
oh my...! :ahoy:
got plenty of work to do now! lol :dead:
I'll see what i can do, but 'im focusing on modelling the Narwhal as for now (i believe it could be highly prioritized regarding the anticipation :hmm:)

Capt Jack Harkness
02-01-08, 05:59 PM
I figured as much. :) Hope all goes well with that project!

kapitan_zur_see
02-01-08, 07:09 PM
the hull is gradually beginning to take form, it's near completion.
Also have to add limber holes as they will be modeled not just textured, much like on the type IX you see on the comming soon SH4 Add-on.

andycaccia
02-02-08, 07:58 AM
And what abut interiors? Should we expect some surprise?
I'm looking forward to play this add-on.:up:

Anvart
02-02-08, 04:16 PM

I think all you have to do is move the models in a 3D studio (ie. 3DSMax), and then make the X-swap in S3D (only remove or add sign!!). For instance, say left prop in S3D sits at X = -0.15, move the model in 3D studio by doubling this figure (-0.3), then in S3D move it to positive X-axis, at 0.15 (remove the sign). The result is -0.3 (model moved) + 0.3 (difference of X-change in S3D) = 0.0 so the model hasn't technically moved. The world offset is still ok, but the local offset is now positive to the game, "hopefully" resulting in an opposite rotation.

The best person to test this is kapitan_zur_see, since he imported the models in the first place and has the sources and 3D studio to do it in.

Dear,
do not force people to laugh ...
This theme was already discussed at a forum...

kapitan_zur_see
02-03-08, 12:29 PM
And what abut interiors? Should we expect some surprise?
I'm looking forward to play this add-on.:up: For the time being, i don't think of that. Pack3d doesn't read my interior files so... BTW, got already a hell lots of job modelling the narwhal ;) I'm definitely a slow modeler lol :damn:

DrBeast
02-03-08, 12:35 PM
I'm definitely a slow modeler lol :damn:

Hey, no worries. As we say over here, "good things take time to complete" ;)

skwasjer
02-04-08, 05:56 AM

Dear,
do not force people to laugh ...
This theme was already discussed at a forum...

Anvart, thanks for your excellent help on the subject! :doh: :doh:

Is this the only response you can give to every R&D subject?

andycaccia
02-04-08, 08:26 AM
Don't worry about time and speed kapitan, we prefer quality rather than fast modding...and I am sure your mod will be the top as usual!:up:
I was only wondering if someone (maybe you) has discovered how to make new interiors. But I guess that the porpoise or gato ones will be just perfect for a Narwhal...your choice. BTW, good job!

kapitan_zur_see
02-04-08, 02:16 PM

:rotfl:wow!
I propose a one torpedo duel under the noon sun of Pearl Harbor :sunny:

DrBeast
02-05-08, 06:31 AM
:rotfl:wow!
I propose a one torpedo duel under the noon sun of Pearl Harbor :sunny:

:rotfl:
A duel with deck guns would look more appropriate ;)

skwasjer
02-05-08, 06:44 AM
My deckgun and torpedoes have been discussed in another thread. I guess the only option left is to ram... :88)

So, here we go:

:damn: :damn: :damn:

DrBeast
02-05-08, 06:52 AM
My deckgun and torpedoes have been discussed in another thread. I guess the only option left is to ram... :88)

So, here we go:

:damn: :damn: :damn:

Careful, now. That wall costs money to repair and repaint! :rotfl:

Xantrokoles
02-05-08, 04:00 PM
Thats a cool mod....but if u got no external view u don'T need it :rotfl:

kapitan_zur_see
02-05-08, 07:56 PM
Thats a cool mod....but if u got no external view u don'T need it :rotfl:

:88) lol
sure thing ;) it's all about eye-candy :arrgh!:
Like you don't need SH4 either, if you don't have a screen... :rotfl:

DrBeast
02-06-08, 06:54 AM
You know, I honestly can't understand what this fuss about correct/incorrect propeller and/or propeller shaft rotation is all about. I just looked and looked at both, and they seemed to be spinning the correct way to me. I watched the blasted things so hard, I got dizzy! :doh:

Wilcke
02-06-08, 11:25 AM
You know, I honestly can't understand what this fuss about correct/incorrect propeller and/or propeller shaft rotation is all about. I just looked and looked at both, and they seemed to be spinning the correct way to me. I watched the blasted things so hard, I got dizzy! :doh:

....I avoid that also...no sense in starting unnecessary seizure activity...:nope: I have never been able to figure out which way a prop spins...concur they look great to me also....

Axlwolf
02-06-08, 12:00 PM
Well...i don't like my prop to spin in the wrong direction when im creeping deep in the shadow :ping:
Call me maniac,but i'm waiting for someone to fix this little bug before i start a good career

DrBeast
02-07-08, 04:08 AM
Call me maniac,but i'm waiting for someone to fix this little bug before i start a good career

Maniac! :D

kapitan_zur_see
02-07-08, 02:19 PM
Well...i don't like my prop to spin in the wrong direction when im creeping deep in the shadow :ping:

you are :smug:

donut
02-07-08, 02:54 PM
That said,The name of this mod,"Historically accurate" Implies correct. SET your speed to 1 Kt,& you will see the screws do not turn correctly.The Stb screw should turn clockwise,the Port screw should turn counter clockwise. kapitan_zur_see,I am sure will fix this at some point in time,because he is a proud modder,& brings good work to the forum.:up: Also,"maniac" is not a loving shot:dead: !:sunny:

Anvart
02-09-08, 12:28 PM
Sorry, Skwasjer ...
You can use searching ...

kapitan_zur_see
02-10-08, 04:53 PM
That said,The name of this mod,"Historically accurate" Implies correct. SET your speed to 1 Kt,& you will see the screws do not turn correctly.The Stb screw should turn clockwise,the Port screw should turn counter clockwise. kapitan_zur_see,I am sure will fix this at some point in time,because he is a proud modder,& brings good work to the forum.:up: Also,"maniac" is not a loving shot:dead: !:sunny:

Thanks mate :arrgh!:
I believe i will at some point. However, this turning issue at different speed might make it impossible lol
It may be either correct at slow speed and incorrect at high speed or the contrary.

andycaccia
02-22-08, 11:29 AM
Any progress??

Hmm this thread seems dead...:dead:

Spike
02-28-08, 12:28 PM
Would love to see this in the new add-on plz..

Schwachsinnige
03-22-08, 08:36 PM
:down:

While I applaud the hard work that went into this mod, the propellers could not be less historically accurate. Submarine props are made of bronze (or brass) and do not corrode - they experience some damage due to cavitation; however they would never, ever, EVER look like the ones in this mod. A submarine running props like that would may such a huge racket that it would be detected over my daughters stereo. (props to the film for that line LOL)

Anyways...I am surprised with how everyone is fixated on historical accuracy that this kind of major flaw would not be noticed.

Again, props for the work, but crap for the props.

nautilus42
03-22-08, 09:10 PM
:down:

While I applaud the hard work that went into this mod, the propellers could not be less historically accurate. Submarine props are made of bronze (or brass) and do not corrode - they experience some damage due to cavitation; however they would never, ever, EVER look like the ones in this mod. A submarine running props like that would may such a huge racket that it would be detected over my daughters stereo. (props to the film for that line LOL)

Anyways...I am surprised with how everyone is fixated on historical accuracy that this kind of major flaw would not be noticed.

Again, props for the work, but crap for the props.

Go Back under your stone where you come from, Bilge Rat. First post and a big mouth, I donīt like this.:nope:

andycaccia
03-23-08, 11:27 AM
Cool down! Both of you. Keep in mind that every contribution is well accepted. If someone doesn't like it no problem, nobody will force him/her to donwload the mod and/or use it.

If you have suggestions explain yourself, otherwise keep insults out of this forum.:/\\chop

kapitan_zur_see
03-23-08, 12:29 PM
Some plain brass texture would look less beautifull ingame, that's just why i choosed to do one wich is, yes, not "realistic"...

A matter of choice from your side to use it or not. Yes, i'm also sometimes amazed at how many people wants things to be axtra-accurate although it's still just a game anyway ;)

Now that the mod is included inside Ducimus' Trigger Maru or even PE. There's not much less to do, it's pretty finished. I'm curreently working on other things

midnite1977
03-24-08, 06:39 AM
Some plain brass texture would look less beautifull ingame, that's just why i choosed to do one wich is, yes, not "realistic"...

A matter of choice from your side to use it or not. Yes, i'm also sometimes amazed at how many people wants things to be axtra-accurate although it's still just a game anyway ;)

Now that the mod is included inside Ducimus' Trigger Maru or even PE. There's not much less to do, it's pretty finished. I'm curreently working on other things

Hi Kapitan zur See,
i like your mod very much, it's really awesome and i use it for longer time now. Yesterday i read the discussion about the texture and i decided to spend an hour (or two?:D ) trying to make a new one. Perhaps you like it...

I took a photo of a real four-bladed ww2-submarine-propeller made of brass, resized and overworked it a bit. Now the propeller does not look plain, but keeps his natural structure and it's "used look" of material.

Here it is:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4964/sh4img20080323160708390nj7.png

midnite1977

andycaccia
03-27-08, 11:08 AM
Looks good!:up:
Are you going to release it??

kapitan_zur_see
03-27-08, 07:28 PM

Hi Kapitan zur See,
i like your mod very much, it's really awesome and i use it for longer time now. Yesterday i read the discussion about the texture and i decided to spend an hour (or two?:D ) trying to make a new one. Perhaps you like it...

I took a photo of a real four-bladed ww2-submarine-propeller made of brass, resized and overworked it a bit. Now the propeller does not look plain, but keeps his natural structure and it's "used look" of material.

Here it is:

midnite1977

Yeah i think it's pretty cool! feel free to post a link to your files if you want, so people can download it. Or if you prefer, PM them to me so i can add it on first page
Thanks mate ;)

andycaccia
03-28-08, 08:03 AM
Any update??:hmm:

midnite1977
03-28-08, 01:42 PM
Hi,
thanks for your comments, i'm glad you like my re-textured propellers. :sunny:
I'm going to upload it as soon as possible.

midnite,1977

Canonicus
03-28-08, 06:04 PM
I happen to overhear my Chief-of the-Boat the other day....

"This is just what the Captain ordered!...nice shinny props!"
"bout time those dockworkers got to scrubbin' those mothers!"
"Outstanding!"

I have to agree!...excellent work! :up:

midnite1977
03-30-08, 10:38 AM

Here's my (re-textured) revision of this mod: http://w16.easy-share.com/1699996002.html

Have fun!
midnite1977

peewee
03-31-08, 08:28 AM
Hey midnite, http://w16.easy-share.com/1699996002.html This doesn't take you to a download page..... could you please post a new link?

Syxx_Killer
03-31-08, 08:40 AM
Hey midnite, http://w16.easy-share.com/1699996002.html This doesn't take you to a download page..... could you please post a new link?

It works for me. Are you letting the timer on the left side of the page cound down to 0? When it does, you then have to enter a code for one of those cpatcha things.

peewee
03-31-08, 10:05 AM
yes, well, it might help if I scrolled down the page don't you think?????.................sigh. I swear I'm getting senile......

midnite1977
04-05-08, 10:39 AM
Hello Captains,
i have made a little "mod-addon" today. ;)
My shiny brass props now also available for the "sugar boats" (3-bladed version).
Hope you like it!

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5926/sh4img20080405171817750ml1.jpg

Here you get the file: http://w16.easy-share.com/1700054144.html

Have fun!
midnite1977

ConvoyFromTheDeep
01-27-09, 10:36 PM
:rock: ZOMG, you are a legend :rock:this is so awsum thank you very much:rotfl:

Shredd27
08-15-12, 10:36 AM
Hmm,. I didn't shift thru all the posts on this thread or about the four bladed props in general but from what I've seen I can't help feeling like I'm the only one that has noticed that these props are spinning backwards. Does no-one else care? :timeout:

fred8615
08-15-12, 11:04 AM
Hmm,. I didn't shift thru all the posts on this thread or about the four bladed props in general but from what I've seen I can't help feeling like I'm the only one that has noticed that these props are spinning backwards. Does no-one else care? :timeout:
It has been noticed, but I think it's hard coded in the game, and thus can't be fixed.

EDIT: 1,000th post!!! :woot::woot::woot:

Sailor Steve
08-15-12, 11:32 AM
Yes, it has been noticed and mentioned since the game was released five years ago. Everyone cares. I don't know if there's a fix or not.

Webster
08-15-12, 11:48 AM

there is another mod that fixed the backwards rotation, not sure but i think it was made before this mod. the last i remember about it was there was a flaw in the rotation fix mod where it left a small blank space between the prop shaft and prop. it was something minor with a placement issue that maybe has been fixed by now but most people never noticed or cared about the gap.

Rhodes
08-27-12, 06:23 PM
Were to download this mod, every link is dead!

Tempest555
08-27-12, 11:58 PM
I thought I still had that mod-but I guess not. FWIW from what I can see the stock surface vessels -even addon FOTR vessels rotate the wrong way. So it's not just the submarines.
From looking at the past posts on this issue there was some good attempts at fixing this problem and way too much drama in the release (whose download link no longer works). If somebody has the fix-and you can't post the file just explain what was done. It appears work was in the GATO dat file when it was originally fixed correctly. FWIW.

Webster
08-28-12, 09:49 AM
I thought I still had that mod-but I guess not.

i uploaded the prop rotation mod for anyone who needs it http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3702

i dont have the 4 bladed prop mod thou so if anyone has it please upload it here at subsim for those who want it

fred8615
08-28-12, 11:33 AM
From the readme of Historical Prop Rotation (which I totally forgot I had :oops:):

This mod does the following:

- Corrects propeller rotation for all US subs.

- Corrects blade orientation in relation to rotation for all US subs.

- Adds a new 4 bladed prop model to the Gato and Balao classes as per historical accuracy.
So it has the 4 blade props in it.

Tempest555
08-29-12, 01:48 AM
It has the 4 bladed props. Installed it JSGME and manually.

They still turn the wrong way. :haha:

I'm running SH4 Gold 1.5 and TMO 2.5

peterthegreeksailor
07-02-13, 04:03 PM
Nice mod!!! good job:)

drakkhen20
07-12-13, 08:15 PM
yes all links are totally dead. I just spent 30 minutes reading through this thread clicking on every link and nothing..

Mikemike47
07-12-13, 09:04 PM
yes all links are totally dead. I just spent 30 minutes reading through this thread clicking on every link and nothing..

Post # 107 subsim link worked fine a few days ago.

Webster
07-13-13, 12:00 PM
Post # 107 subsim link worked fine a few days ago.

only one of the download links was broken but its hard to notice there were two separate links there so I fixed it and put space between the links

drakkhen20
07-13-13, 09:30 PM
107 did finally work. I had to click on it several times and it finally loaded it right up. I hate when that happens.:up: did try it out and I also love this mod. its a small mod that makes a huge difference.:sunny::salute:

drakkhen20
07-20-13, 06:34 PM
ok to let someone know. when this mod is applied the Gar class deckgun node is not placed right. I found this out by enabled and disabling different mods. when applied it sets the deck gun for the Gar Class inside the Conning tower. Can someone please fix this. I would but my computer doesn't have the power to handle 3d modeling.

thanks,
drakkhen20:salute:

drakkhen20
07-22-13, 07:35 AM
Does anyone need a picture of what I'm talking about?

ss396
01-25-23, 10:28 AM
Also around 1943-1944 all US Sub types which under went refit, had been upgraded with 4 the blade props :know: .

Not to nitpick, but were the boats' props really that crudded up? And the props are rotating backwards... They are on the right shafts with the right pitches, but the shafts are spinning the wrong way (just like vanilla). Anyways, nice work on the model/texture, hope we can find a proper fix for this problem...

Oh and someone mentioned 5-blade props on some Balaos: The post-war Tench class and some Guppy converted Balaos had 5-bladers, not the wartime boats.

http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/Gallery/Guppy3/MVC-015S.JPG

Found this photo of the Growler SS 577 ( not the on eternal patrol SS 215 ) in the Portsmouth Navy Yard on eBay . . . . post war , definitely 5http://s-11600.jpg