PDA

View Full Version : Armor of Merchants - when ???

Lord_FLB
01-13-08, 08:34 AM
Ahoi,

somebody knows at what date (Year of war/month) the merchants in SH3 are armed with deckguns etc. ?

Greetz

iambecomelife
01-13-08, 09:22 AM
Check the data\sea\[ship]\[ship].eqp files. It will have all of this data in an easy-to-understand format.

Lord_FLB
01-13-08, 09:35 AM
Check the data\sea\[ship]\[ship].eqp files. It will have all of this data in an easy-to-understand format.

Ahoi,

thx for quick help...:D

bigboywooly
01-13-08, 09:49 AM
Merchants are not all armed at the same time
Least not in GWX
Some are armed real early some much later

Yet another report says that a member of the crew of a steamer, who had fired on a U-boat with his gun, observed that later on destroyers came up and sank the U-boat, which was no longer able to dive. (This cannot be S.S. Stonepool).
Actions are therefore said to have been fought between steamers and U-boats. Both steamers got away and in both cases the U-boat is said to have been destroyed at least one of them on the surface.

The risks which the boat runs in a gun action with an armed merchant vessel. One hit may render the boat incapable of diving and therefore the certain prey of destroyers. (It is not surprising that circumstances are different from those in the world war. At that time steamers were only gradually being armed; today all this has apparently been carefully planned and the effect of this form of defense must therefore be expected to be greater).

October 23rd BDU KTB

http://www.uboatarchive.net/BDUKTB30250.htm

The KTB mentions merchants being armed in Sept

So ingame tis pot luck - armed or not
Observation of the ship thru the scope should tell you whether armed - pt=roviding you can get close enough

HEMISENT
01-13-08, 11:15 PM
My first convoy intercept Jan 41 in WAW after installing GWX 2.0 I tried a night surface attack. Previously a successful strategy early in the war.

Once I was detected all hell broke loose. The damn merchants tried to turn my boat into swiss cheese. Got to rethink things now. :hmm: