PDA

View Full Version : GWX2 - Enhanced Damage Effects

Pascal
01-06-08, 07:22 AM
This Mod is nice but a little bit "too much" ! Explosions on surface when ships are already sunk are not necessary.

gimpy117
01-06-08, 11:13 AM
well go back to vanilla!!

Pascal
01-06-08, 11:28 AM
Between vanilla and the Disneyland fireworks, there is place for something close to the reality
How old are you ? 10 ?

Paajtor
01-06-08, 03:04 PM
This Mod is nice but a little bit "too much" ! Explosions on surface when ships are already sunk are not necessary.
Depends....if the ship has a steam-engine, then explosions can occur when the ship itself is already beneath the waves.
Inside a boiler, temperatures can reach over 800degr.C.
When a ship sinks with intact boilers, it can take the (often freezing cold) ocean-water a little time before it reaches the boiler-room.
When this happens, and the wreck is still close to the surface, the force of the explosion can extend above the waves.

gimpy117
01-06-08, 03:40 PM
yeah what he said, besides, merchants often carried munitions and coal bunkers besides, you just hit it with an explosive device.

Pascal
01-06-08, 03:40 PM
I prefere these sort of arguments, more mature and clever.

HEMISENT
01-06-08, 06:29 PM
I think that the new effects are great. Last night I sunk a Lg Merchant resulting in the usual fire and smoke the ship slowly went down with only the funnel above the water then all hell broke loose, large explosions and ship went under. Another lg Merch I torpedoed took a hit in the port side amidships, slowed but continued on its way I followed at a safe distance reloading, then the vessel went up in huge explosions and sunk.

NOW, if only certain parties could get the longer repair times working properly for GWX 2.0. My boat was hit by DC's and suffered a whopping 3 minutes of damage. Quite a let down after getting used to hours and hours of repairs.

Samwolf
01-06-08, 06:41 PM
NOW, if only certain parties could get the longer repair times working properly for GWX 2.0. My boat was hit by DC's and suffered a whopping 3 minutes of damage. Quite a let down after getting used to hours and hours of repairs.

AMEN!!!!

HEMISENT
01-06-08, 10:25 PM
It will be very interesting to see how the GWX effects compare to whatever Racerboy updates his SH4 effects mod.

TheDarkWraith
01-06-08, 11:14 PM
It will be very interesting to see how the GWX effects compare to whatever Racerboy updates his SH4 effects mod.

that's not really a fair comparison for them :D Reason being they have to be very cautious so as to not decrease FPS beyond what stock SH3 does. I can let the FPS's drop a tad so I have no restrictions. I have also rewrote all the smokes and fires to be more FPS friendly and to look better (in my opinion) - this is carried over from previous versions. All I'm doing now is creating more effects (oil_slicks and burnning_oil_slicks) when you hit the fuel bunkers and cause enough damage to make the slicks appear, and making new events for the new entries they made in the zones.cfg file so it can be compatible with GWX 2.0 :up: From viewing thier files, especially the zones.cfg, I found the big missing piece of the puzzle I was searching for - what makes the events happen. Entries in zones.cfg make these happen :rock:
Sorry to hijack the thread there for a moment...:oops:

HEMISENT
01-07-08, 08:39 AM
Hi RB
Well, if the GWX effects are already fantastic IMO, then it sounds like what you're putting together will be even more so. Great news that the process is underway. Keep up the great work!

BTW, going off on a tangent here, I was just looking at the ROW mods at SH4 forums (by Leovampire I think). These look unbelievable and I'm DL'ing them today. Any chance that this kind of treatment can be given to SH3 or is this beyond the limitations of the game.

Rubini
01-08-08, 03:35 PM

Hi Pascal,

I made the FX effects for GWX 2.0.
What I and the team want with this was just something more than the bored stock FX. Isn't really as big (on effects and new additions) as RB great work FX effects.

When i started to work with it I sent 2 versions of the zones.cfg for KL...the one that i use have a bit less explosions and less oil fire on surface than the one that are now on GWX 2.0. Probably these ones will be used on GWX 2.0 first update.

Anyhow, is really too hard to adjust better behaviours for Fx effects on SH3 due engine limitations that don't allow too much control on how/when the effects appears. It's in truth some type of poor control like "all or nothing". This is why I leave the surface explosions as they are now.:up:

For my taste it's much better now than the boring stock FX behaviour and don't forget that isn't only the surface explosions...the GWX 2.0 FX effects have a lot of others small enhancements.;) Look for them!

Cheers,

Rubini.

Paajtor
01-08-08, 05:20 PM
wasn't hard to find:

http://www.61shap.com/pilots/Paajtor/SHIII/niceFireGwx2.jpg

Pascal
01-14-08, 04:53 PM

Hi Pascal,

I made the FX effects for GWX 2.0.
What I and the team want with this was just something more than the bored stock FX. Isn't really as big (on effects and new additions) as RB great work FX effects.

When i started to work with it I sent 2 versions of the zones.cfg for KL...the one that i use have a bit less explosions and less oil fire on surface than the one that are now on GWX 2.0. Probably these ones will be used on GWX 2.0 first update.

Anyhow, is really too hard to adjust better behaviours for Fx effects on SH3 due engine limitations that don't allow too much control on how/when the effects appears. It's in truth some type of poor control like "all or nothing". This is why I leave the surface explosions as they are now.:up:

For my taste it's much better now than the boring stock FX behaviour and don't forget that isn't only the surface explosions...the GWX 2.0 FX effects have a lot of others small enhancements.;) Look for them!

Cheers,

Rubini.

Dear Rubinbi, yes i discover few very nice small enhancements, and as you said, i can imagine the difficulty to adjust better effects.

A word about this sound file: P05_@dethcharge_explosion
This file is used of course for the dethcharge hear inside the sub, but also for some surface ship explosion. For the first i used sound recorded in live by US Marine and this sound is no good in surface ! Perhaps the sh3.sdl could be modified

von Zelda
01-14-08, 06:43 PM

Hey, Rubini,

Love your work! In fact, I still use your sensors and sim files from your Stay Alert Crew Mod for 1.03 and they add just enough extra punch to the crew for visually locating contacts for me.

I agree with Pascal, the version selected for 2.0 is great but has just a little bit too much explosions and fire. In fact, I've gone back to the stock GWX 2.0 version with almost no explosions and fire.

Would it be possible for you to upload as a mod the version which you use (less explosions & fire)? I for one, would love to have it available.

Dowly
01-14-08, 08:00 PM
This file is used of course for the dethcharge hear inside the sub, but also for some surface ship explosion. For the first i used sound recorded in live by US Marine and this sound is no good in surface ! Perhaps the sh3.sdl could be modified
Not quite right, mate. ;) The DC sound you hear from inside the submarine is called "Depth charges exploding from submarine.wav".

Pascal
01-14-08, 08:25 PM
Not quite right, mate. ;) The DC sound you hear from inside the submarine is called "Depth charges exploding from submarine.wav"

I was just playing to modified these files; in my test, " deth charges from submarine" is the sound hear inside the sub for a torpedo hit on a ship ... But it's late, perhaps i made a mystake !

Dowly
01-15-08, 07:52 AM
Not quite right, mate. ;) The DC sound you hear from inside the submarine is called "Depth charges exploding from submarine.wav"
I was just playing to modified these files; in my test, " deth charges from submarine" is the sound hear inside the sub for a torpedo hit on a ship ... But it's late, perhaps i made a mystake !

Atleast for what DC mod's I've done, I've only altered that file and it works. ;)

elkangorito
02-21-08, 06:06 AM
I've been searching this forum for hours & I can't seem to find any info that tells me from where the "enhanced damage effects mod" is available. Could somebody please help me?

Sailor Steve
02-21-08, 06:33 AM
It comes packaged with GWX, along with several other optional add-ons.

fredbass
02-21-08, 09:01 AM
I like the enhanced effects. So I tend to hang around to see the fireworks b4 I move on. Just a little extra immersion to enjoy the game as far as I'm concerned. :up:

Konovalov
02-21-08, 10:47 AM
I like the enhanced effects. So I tend to hang around to see the fireworks b4 I move on. Just a little extra immersion to enjoy the game as far as I'm concerned. :up:

Exactly. :yep: But don't get too close to those secondary explosions otherwise you might be returning to port minus a few crew members. :lol:

Kpt. Lehmann
02-21-08, 10:03 PM
Besides guys, if you feel that the enhanced damage effects OPTIONAL mod in GWX is "too much" ... simply disable it. It is an included optional mod after all.:yep:

(Reminder... the mod discussed above has NO ACTUAL IMPACT on ship damage models. It is for damage effects only. The damage models in GWX are governed by other files.)