PDA

View Full Version : Wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus?

stabiz
11-29-07, 08:47 PM
I got a youtube comment on a video, and a guy pointes out that "wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus" means something like "crazy speed ahead". What the ...?:huh:

Capa
11-29-07, 09:05 PM
It's like a sigh of relief every time I see these phrases spelt.

Google translates it as "madmen ride ahead", some other one "mad journey ahead", and another as "insane trip ahead". Seems he's right.:D

Manucubus
11-29-07, 10:00 PM
...and a guy pointes out that "wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus" means something like "crazy speed ahead"

yea, this is a correct translation. maybe even "mad/insane speed ahead" in a sense that you are mad/insane cause you do not care about noise and reduction of lifetime of your engines due to the high speed they are running. Surely ordered in an absolute emergency only.

Friedl9te
11-30-07, 04:29 AM
...and a guy pointes out that "wahnsinnige Fahrt voraus" means something like "crazy speed ahead"

yea, this is a correct translation. maybe even "mad/insane speed ahead" in a sense that you are mad/insane cause you do not care about noise and reduction of lifetime of your engines due to the high speed they are running. Surely ordered in an absolute emergency only.

3 x Wahnsinnige Fahrt
In an absolute emergency case, they could connect the e-motors to the main wave and gain one or two extra knots. using the diesel and the e-machine together. But this was not a standard procedure.

stabiz
12-01-07, 06:29 AM
I have always played with german audio, since I understand most of it from its resemblence to Norwegian, and the other stuff you just understand from the context, and it adds volumes to the immersion. But insane speed ahead? I just dont see a kaleun utter that.:rotfl:

Mush Martin
12-01-07, 06:43 AM
Odd it seems appropriate to me.:rotfl:

KeptinCranky
12-01-07, 08:04 AM
Go to Ludicrous Speed! :arrgh!: </spaceballs>

Gezoes
12-01-07, 09:02 AM
It is curious though, in Dutch one would never say 'waanzinnige vaart vooruit'...

I guess? Never been in the navy.

Because where meaning is concerned, wahnsinnig and waanzinnig are equal in German and Dutch.

:hmm:

U49
12-01-07, 09:59 AM
It is curious though, in Dutch one would never say 'waanzinnige vaart vooruit'...

I guess? Never been in the navy.

Because where meaning is concerned, wahnsinnig and waanzinnig are equal in German and Dutch.

:hmm:

In the Kriegsmarine there was never a "wahnsinnige Fahrt".
The proper command was 3x Aüßerste Kraft which could be translated as 3x all ahead full. It demands to put all power generators to use for forward movement.

In my reading this "wahnsinnige" is derived from the dramatic cry of the captin in "Das Boot", maybe it was sometimes used in real uboats. But I suppose only as an emotional phrase.

And indeed "Wahnsinnig" translates to "mad" or "crazy" like "It make me mad" or "He is crazy"

Mush Martin
12-01-07, 10:17 AM
see told you it applied to me :D

Kaleun Cook
12-02-07, 05:59 AM
The proper command was 3x Aüßerste Kraft which could be translated as 3x all ahead full. It demands to put all power generators to use for forward movement.

The commands are wrong in general, I think. When you set up medium speed they should yell "Halbe Fahrt voraus" instead of "Große Fahrt voraus" which would be translated "Big speed ahead". :down:

BulSoldier
12-02-07, 06:04 AM
Not that i undestand german but the medium speed sounded to me like german variation of cruise speed.:hmm:

Jonathan
12-02-07, 06:32 AM
How do we do this command?

Manucubus
12-02-07, 05:24 PM

errr, yes, i might add that "wahnsinnige Fahrt vorraus" is very colloquial...like calling torpedos "eels". By far not uncommon but of course not the official language :know: