PDA

View Full Version : Help me with tactical ranges!

brandtryan
11-25-07, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have any specific numbers for how far away I have to be so that a destroyer can't discover me? In the daytime? In the nighttime?

I've developed a general course for the convoy--but everytime I get a little closer to freshen up my numbers, the destroyer sees me, and I have to dive. I stay under until dark--but don't know how close I can get without being discovered. I want to do an "end around" to get in front of them--but don't know the range I need to stand off at. They're moving pretty fast--at least 12 knots.

Also--has it been confirmed that the destroyer will come after you if you ping for range? Event at 15 miles?

Thanks for any replies. I'm having a blast with this sim, along with reading books about the Silent Service.

Drnaline
11-25-07, 01:29 PM
Does anyone have any specific numbers for how far away I have to be so that a destroyer can't discover me? In the daytime? In the nighttime?

I've developed a general course for the convoy--but everytime I get a little closer to freshen up my numbers, the destroyer sees me, and I have to dive. I stay under until dark--but don't know how close I can get without being discovered. I want to do an "end around" to get in front of them--but don't know the range I need to stand off at. They're moving pretty fast--at least 12 knots.

Also--has it been confirmed that the destroyer will come after you if you ping for range? Event at 15 miles?

Thanks for any replies. I'm having a blast with this sim, along with reading books about the Silent Service.I'd bet he hears you more then see's you.

Slang
11-25-07, 05:29 PM
Might I suggest you do the end around out of all visual range? You should be able to get a rough idea of true course and speed from a far way out. Then just run up at flank speed out visual range and get into a good ambush position. Go to peri depth, and silent running and wait for them to come to you.

brandtryan
11-26-07, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. I found somewhere, that someone did some tests--it seem 7000 yards in daytime, and roughly half that for nighttime.