PDA

View Full Version : [TEQ] Again: "can not initialize 3d engine"

PhantomLord
11-23-07, 01:53 PM
Everytime i want to start SH3 i got this error message: "can not initialize 3d engine"

System specs:

Windows XP prof. SP2

Mainboard ASRock K7Upgrade-880 <----a new board
Athlon XP 2600+
1GB DDR-RAM
ATI Radeon 9550 256MB
SB-Live

Windows is a totally new install, also all actual drivers for all components, DX9c

Same things happen with other games like SH4, Stalker (Xray-engine-message appears with no error description).
All this happens since the new board is built in. Before there was an Asus A7V266-E, making no problems.
IŽve tried so many google matches for this error.....not one of millions of hints and tricks worked.

IŽll go to sleep now.....broken hearted...no tonnage tonight.... :cry:

If someone knows something.....youŽll find me in the 3rd drawer of my office desk :88)

U49
11-23-07, 02:29 PM
I've had that problem before. Usually after a few alt-tab in and out of the game or after starting the mission editor in parallel.

I always got rid of that after a reboot...

But I'm not sure what exactly the cause may be

T.Von Hogan
11-23-07, 04:47 PM
Check your monitor refresh rate. If the frequency is too high you will receive that message.

DarkStar173rd
11-23-07, 05:54 PM
T. Von Hogan is right, but like me you want to run at a higher res. I run at 100 then you have to start in 1024 by 768....before starting SH3. Hope that gets you out of the drawer.:up:

Foghladh_mhara
11-23-07, 07:18 PM
Well theres a coincidence. Got that tonight for the first time. My monitor refresh rate only goes to 60 or 75 Hz and it was set at the lower one. Thinking of throwing the whole pc out the window. I hate this thing :damn:

PhantomLord
11-24-07, 02:36 AM
The problem is still alive.

I forgot to say iŽve a TFT-monitor here. Frequency is, was, and will be 60Hz forever. With the old mainboard everything was fine at 75Hz also.

*update*

There are some people with the same prob in another forum with other games. A wrong windows-service was the cause. So iŽve installed windows again.....guess what.....doesnŽt work.

Subject
11-24-07, 02:39 PM
I got that message after XP re-install. Didn't touch SH3 installation and first time I tried to start SH3, got that message. Solved it by installing DirectX from SH3-disc.

PhantomLord
11-25-07, 08:56 AM
- Changed AGP-rate to 4x - no effect
- disabled accelerations - no effect
- reinstalled windows and all actual drivers from VIA, ATI and others - no effect
- reinstalled SH3 with and without GWX - no effect
- changed RAM - no effect
- changed my coffee brand late at night - no effect

So far.... U-115 is lost with all hands... :cry:

bigboywooly
11-25-07, 10:41 AM
Try an older video driver not the latest ones

PhantomLord
11-25-07, 11:34 AM
Fixed this thing at least.

The trick was to FIRST install DX9c and thereafter the graphic drivers.....never had that before.

Thanks for all your hints and support. Time to set sail again :D

bigboywooly
11-25-07, 11:37 AM
Good news indeed