PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

Nerazzurri
11-12-07, 08:57 PM
Just started SH3, and begun the Naval Academy. I've got three things I'd like to find out -

1. Part of the brief is to navigate S.S.E. Despite doing this the mission prompt says it's incomplete??

2. After I resurface, there is no Watch Officer on the conning tower?

3. Despite the mod not being active, 'Captain Americas' Officer Icons are being used in the game? I even deleted the mod, to no avail?

I'd be glad of any help with these points; I'm sure they are elementary problems, but they're above me at the moment! LOL

System and game/mods in my signature.

Incidentally, with regard to my specs below, do you all think 28 FPS (facing forward on the conning tower, empty ocean) is reasonable or should I be looking to tweak that? It seems not too bad 'in game', I was just wanting your thoughts.

Brag
11-12-07, 09:28 PM
I can answer # 2 easily enough: go to F7 and drag the lazy bastard out of his bunk to the conning tower.

I remember the academy problem of going ESE, had to try it again and it worked. Looking forward to seeing you operational.

Nerazzurri
11-12-07, 09:52 PM
Thanks, Brag - F7 must be the shortcut key for a bucket of cold water?? That'll soon get him out his bunk!

I answered #1 myself - if I'd read the radio messages (which I now know how to do! LOL) I'd have discovered I'd to change speed whilst keeping course :oops:

So Navigation passed, and one step nearer my licence :arrgh!:

That just leaves #3 - anybody??

Thanks again Brag, regards, Gavin.

Capa
11-12-07, 11:15 PM
Did you use JSGME to install it? Uninstall it the same way. The mods files are buried in the SH3 directory when it is installed, and JSGME will pull them back out again. The mod in the "MODS" folder is just the source you're installing it from so deleting it won't change anything.

Nerazzurri
11-13-07, 04:33 AM
Capa, I deleted it from the SH3 Commander control panel. After I did that I just double checked in the mod folder to make sure it wasn't there; it wasn't.

I'm new to this and sometimes I'm a bit unsure of what file to save mods/expansions in, so I've probably messed up somewhere! LOL

TarJak
11-13-07, 05:27 AM
In your silent hunter III folder you need to have all your mods in the MODS sub folder.

It should look something like this:

C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII\MODS

Under that directory the files should be in a folder for that mod as long as it was built to be activated by JSGME. If it wasn't packaged for JSGME you'll need to read the instructions for the mod as to how it needs to be installed.

Nerazzurri
11-13-07, 05:33 AM
TarJak, thanks for the advice. I'll check that later today.

Thanks again, Gavin.

## I've checked that and the file path is ok. Can someone confirm if these are correct for me?
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII\GWX
C:\Program Files\SH3 Commander
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII\JSGME

Sorry if that's all a bit elementary, but I love the game and I think I'm going to be downloading lots of mods, so I'd like to start of correctly.

Friedl9te
11-13-07, 07:16 AM
TarJak, thanks for the advice. I'll check that later today.

Thanks again, Gavin.

## I've checked that and the file path is ok. Can someone confirm if these are correct for me?
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII\GWX
C:\Program Files\SH3 Commander
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII\JSGME

Sorry if that's all a bit elementary, but I love the game and I think I'm going to be downloading lots of mods, so I'd like to start of correctly.

It depends a little bit if you plan to use multiinstallation environment. For a single install its Ok exept the main prgram folder. If you do not want to keep a stock install just apply gwx to C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII.
But for multiSH3 environment every version should have its own SH3Commander/JSGME/MiniTweaker/SetKeys/etc. installed.
So I suggest
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\GWX
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\IUB
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\1.4Stock
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\WAC
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\GWX\SH3 Commander
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\IUB\SH3 Commander
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\1.4Stock\SH3 Commander
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\WAC\SH3 Commander
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\GWX\JSGME
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\IUB\JSGME
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\1.4Stock\JSGME
C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\WAC\JSGME

Addendum ... for Vista Users it is not recommended at all to use the default program folder C:\Program Files\ because of the new security features of Vista that will protect and defend (Not the Constitution:rotfl:) but the Program Files Folder.

Choose another folder fame instead \MyPrograms\ or \Games\ or \AnyFolderNameYouLike\

It will save you a lot of time and troubles.