PDA

View Full Version : Compatible watch crew/operating deck gun?

Klaus_Doldinger
11-06-07, 06:44 AM
We all know that you cannot combine a watch crew with deck gun manning. Your only option is to man both deck gun and FlaK, deck gun, FlaK or select watch crew.

As far as I know, in real life watch crew was also present in the bridge when the boat was engaging a target with the deck gun (yes, I know itīs a rare occasion, but sometimes you need to shell the enemy instead of using torpedoes), to prevent a surprise attack from any incoming enemy that could be unspotted. Furthermore, watch crew members had strictly prohibited to look at the engagement:
Throughout the entire engagement, the watch crew are prohibited from witnessing the attack sequence. Four watch crews are on deck, with each covering a 90 degrees arc and they had to strictly scan their respective zones for any activity. They are not allowed to watch the attack to prevent the U-boat from being surprised by a lurking enemy.

Source: http://www.uboataces.com/tactics-deckgun.shtml

What do you think about? A possible interesting mod? Perhaps hard coded?

Best regards.

Koondawg
11-06-07, 08:04 AM
If youll notice the pic when the game loads for the NYGM mod youll see several hanging out and one guy with binoc's keeping a lookout...I could go either way on having the conning loaded when deck and flak are going off...:cool:

onelifecrisis
11-06-07, 08:20 AM
Your watch officer does keep watch while the guns are manned. True, he's not as effective as a full watch team, but I suspect IRL the full watch team were a bit distracted by battle even if they tried not to be, so maybe it works pretty well as it is. :hmm: