PDA

View Full Version : 2 gigs

LeafsFan
10-31-07, 08:06 AM
HI,

I am now getting back into playing GWX after a hiatus of about 6 months. Last fall I bought a new rig with a Pentium D 820 processor, 1 gig of ram and a ati 1300 video card. As time went on and GWX was developed and patched, I noticed I was getting more and more CTD's particularly when I was involved in a convoy action. I was very noticable that graphics would start to get weird when large numbers of ships were nearby. It got to the point that I ended up uninstalling the game. Last month I picked up an extra gig of memory as there was a special price on it at the local store. For a lark I renstalled the game with the latest version of GWX, and it has been far more stable. I have had only one CTD, and that was when I tried to load a saved game while stalking a solo ship underwater, As a general precaution, I had been saving the game under different names after each ship sunk so I lost next to nothing. Loads are a little quicker too.

I'd recommend 2 gigs to anyone who loves this game.

HB

melnibonian
10-31-07, 10:58 AM
I had similar experiences with GWX (not the CTD) in my old computer. Convoy actions were a bit difficult as the Frame Rate was too slow for my 512MB RAM. As soon as I put 2GB of RAM it was a totally new game. Now with the new computer (Dual Core 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 768MB Graphics Card) I can load GWX in less than 30 seconds. With a large amount of RAM and a good graphics card you can play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Jimbuna
10-31-07, 03:26 PM
Next time your reported MIA mel, can I have your pc ? :lol:

melnibonian
10-31-07, 04:13 PM
It's all yours Jim ;) :p

Kpt. Lehmann
10-31-07, 09:55 PM
It's all yours Jim ;) :p

Now wait just a second here!!! :lol:

<Jimbuna beat me to the draw again.>

bigboywooly
11-01-07, 12:39 AM
Nice observation LF
Yes tis a memory hungry game alright
Too much going on can lead to strange graphic anomolies as the game doesnt know what to render

frenema
11-02-07, 10:52 AM
Anyone tried GWX on a laptop? On my current PC I get lag and CTD all the time when I play GWX (1gig ram, Radeon 9200SE 128mb). So instead of buying upgrades I'm thinking of buying a laptop with good performance. Any suggestions?

Koondawg
11-02-07, 11:19 AM
Thats what happens when you get old...LOL :D youngens taken over :up:

Jaeger
11-02-07, 11:58 AM
hi frenema,

note, that laptop grafic cards are slower than their desktop versions. the problem is, that good grafic cards need too much energy, so they have to slow down them. if you want to exchange your desktop pc with a laptop, take an expensive one, which has a grafic card with own video ram. an actual good model is the nvidia 8600 GT card, which uses 512 own video ram. i dont know your financiel background, but if rich enough, look at the msi gx600 extreme notebook, which has really good performance. another possibility is the asus g1s. have a look at zepto, a danish company which produces high end notebooks, too.

Jaeger

Wolfehunter
11-02-07, 12:10 PM
There are laptops and there are laptops. Top end gamer laptops are from alienware. If you have the big bucks to spend you can buy uber laptops from them. You can customize the laptops too. Check there website and try to build your own laptops for fun.

Jimbuna
11-02-07, 02:09 PM
Thats what happens when you get old...LOL :D youngens taken over :up:

If it's me your referring to as the 'youngen'.....cheers :up:

TheDarkWraith
11-02-07, 03:26 PM
Anyone tried GWX on a laptop? On my current PC I get lag and CTD all the time when I play GWX (1gig ram, Radeon 9200SE 128mb). So instead of buying upgrades I'm thinking of buying a laptop with good performance. Any suggestions?

HP DV9260NR.....awesome laptop. You can find it at Best Buy. I picked mine up on 'last year's closeout' (it was only 3 months old!) for $1099. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2 gigs ram, 160 gig HD, Nvidia GeForce 7600 with 256mb dedicated video ram (not shared), TV tuner card, HDMI port, HD-DVD rom and DVD-RW burner, 17" widescreen monitor with full size keyboard (has numpad), remote control, it's loaded! Runs SH3, SH3 GWX, SH3 with my new effects mod, SH4 (FPS around 40)....I love it. The only downside to it was it came with Vista Ultimate 64bit version :down:

Jimbuna
11-02-07, 04:09 PM
The only downside to it was it came with Vista Ultimate 64bit version

Well you can't have it all ways ;)

johnno74
11-03-07, 09:21 PM
hi frenema,

note, that laptop grafic cards are slower than their desktop versions. the problem is, that good grafic cards need too much energy, so they have to slow down them. if you want to exchange your desktop pc with a laptop, take an expensive one, which has a grafic card with own video ram. an actual good model is the nvidia 8600 GT card, which uses 512 own video ram. i dont know your financiel background, but if rich enough, look at the msi gx600 extreme notebook, which has really good performance. another possibility is the asus g1s. have a look at zepto, a danish company which produces high end notebooks, too.

Jaeger

Another thing you'll find is 17" laptops generally have much better GFX cards than 15" laptops, mainly due to heat issues.

I have a dell lattitude D820, 15" screen, 2gb ram, 2ghz core 2 duo and geeforce 7400 go gfx. when I got it at the start of the year it was the best gfx card dell put in a 15" laptop.

Anyway, it plays SH3 with an acceptable framerate @ 1680 x 1080 res. At default res its smooth as butter, but at 1680x1080 its quick enough for me and I don't get any major slowdowns in convoys or in harbours.