PDA

View Full Version : [REL] sobers better mountains mod

THE_MASK
10-22-07, 06:05 PM
This mod gives a lusher , more realistic mountain look .

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6859/sobersmountainsmodxx5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://files.filefront.com/Sobers+better+mountainsrar/;8863305;/fileinfo.html

leovampire
10-22-07, 06:07 PM
Looks good to me.

ReallyDedPoet
10-22-07, 06:08 PM
Looks good sober, a definite improvement :up:

RDP

Digital_Trucker
10-22-07, 06:10 PM
That looks mahvelous:up:

Canonicus
10-22-07, 06:17 PM
That looks fantastic, sober.....will definitely try it out!

MONOLITH
10-22-07, 06:35 PM
Wow! That really does look good sober.

Thank you. :rock:

Put this with ROW, and we really have something.

THE_MASK
10-22-07, 06:36 PM
Feel free to use in any mod/super mod/ super duper mod etc etc .

leovampire
10-22-07, 06:38 PM

Looks like the textures used in the 2006 RR sim that are available am I right?

Either way they look great.

MONOLITH
10-22-07, 06:38 PM
This does overwrite two ROW files, but I assume the focus of ROW is the sky/water/reflections anyway, and these two land files appear to be better than what was previously in ROW.

That statement respectfully intended.

leovampire
10-22-07, 06:42 PM
This does overwrite two ROW files, but I assume the focus of ROW is the sky/water/reflections anyway, and these two land files appear to be better than what was previously in ROW.

That statement respectfully intended.

But these look fantastic so I wouldn't blaim anyone for using them.

THE_MASK
10-22-07, 06:43 PM

Looks like the textures used in the 2006 RR sim that are available am I right?

Either way they look great.

Nothing whatsoever to do with any game texture . I was using the rust texture for the sub and no other textures were working so i just tried that one and it worked . The texture was from a picture of rust i googled off the net . cheers sober .

Canonicus
10-22-07, 06:59 PM
I love the new land vegetation effect, sober....

I'm not so keen on having the same effect on the ocean floor, however.

Any way to get one .... and not the other? :hmm:

Cheers!

kriller2
10-22-07, 07:24 PM
Yes it looks good on the picture but it messes with my landscape textures so unfortunately it doesn't work with ROW, I have just tried it.

Nice work on the texture :up: I will see if there is something to do to make it work with ROW.

ironkross
10-22-07, 07:31 PM
Yes it looks good on the picture but it messes with my landscape textures so unfortunately it doesn't work with ROW, I have just tried it and because I increased the tiling on the landscape it looks strange in ROW.

Nice work on the texture :up: I will see if there is something to do to make it work with ROW.
Please, I certainly do Not want to uninstall ROW, but I really like the mountains. I hope you guys can work it out. :up: This would be like having to choose between your birthday party and Christmas. :yep:

THE_MASK
10-22-07, 08:06 PM

Cheers! I cannot help that . Its a bit of a trade off there i suppose . I dont know how to fix that .

stabiz
10-22-07, 08:38 PM
Wow! :rock:

ironkross
10-22-07, 08:38 PM
Is this ocean floor effect just in the area of the island? I would guess this is a more realistic sea floor then?

Edited for spelling. IK

THE_MASK
10-22-07, 09:07 PM
Maybe Kriller2 can figure out why the sea floor uses this texture .

kriller2
10-23-07, 12:30 PM
Do you use the stock SH4 textures with your mod - because I just downloaded the package and found out it only contained 2 files?

Maybe Kriller2 can figure out why the sea floor uses this texture .

Cheers! I cannot help that . Its a bit of a trade off there i suppose . I dont know how to fix that .

Unfortunately this is not possible because the SH4 engine uses the detail.dds alot of places in sh4 to make the sand and grass have a kind of depth in it and to make the landscape have depth.

AVGWarhawk
10-23-07, 01:43 PM
I swear I see a sniper on the ridge to the left. Nice work.

ironkross
10-25-07, 08:29 AM
Any updates on the compatibility of this mod and ROW? I could save game as I approach land and switch from ROW to Mts mod and restart the game. :hmm: JK.

sqk7744
10-25-07, 08:52 AM
Wonderful! Thank you Sober!!!

STEED
10-25-07, 09:43 AM
At last me and the boys can take a whizz in private without the Japs taking snap shots. :rotfl:

Great work there sober. :rock:

kriller2
10-25-07, 10:18 AM
Any updates on the compatibility of this mod and ROW? I could save game as I approach land and switch from ROW to Mts mod and restart the game. :hmm: JK.

Yes, this mod and ROW is NOT compatible as I used rescaled textures and a special cfg file to make the landcape more detailed in ROW.

To use this mod with ROW you must go back to the stock SH4 terrain textures (uninstall all textures in "Sh4\data\terrain\textures") and uninstall the "terrain.cfg" in "data\terrain\" and replace it with the ones that came with SH4 stock textures and cfg-file.

It' a shame, because I have tried to make this mod work with ROW, but as it uses the stock SH4 textures, it's not as easy as it seems.

/Kriller2

FooFighters
10-25-07, 11:45 AM

Yes, this mod and ROW is NOT compatible as I used rescaled textures and a special cfg file to make the landcape more detailed in ROW.

To use this mod with ROW you must go back to the stock SH4 terrain textures (uninstall all textures in "Sh4\data\terrain\textures") and uninstall the "terrain.cfg" in "data\terrain\" and replace it with the ones that came with SH4 stock textures and cfg-file.

It' a shame, because I have tried to make this mod work with ROW, but as it uses the stock SH4 textures, it's not as easy as it seems.

/Kriller2

Hi Kriller,

I use ROW with this mod and it looks great.
Only the underwater ground textures look a bit weird.

What will be different when I use the original terrain.cfg ?

kriller2
10-25-07, 03:02 PM
Hi Foofighters,

The way Sh4 renders the landscape, with the config from row you will se more hires grass instead of the rocks in peal harbour.

But you say it looks fine ? - it looks strange on my installation, but maybe it's because I have been modding lately...:oops:

But it's great if these 2 mods work well together.

FooFighters
10-25-07, 03:55 PM
Hi Foofighters,

The way Sh4 renders the landscape, with the config from row you will se more hires grass instead of the rocks in peal harbour.

But you say it looks fine ? - it looks strange on my installation, but maybe it's because I have been modding lately...:oops:

But it's great if these 2 mods work well together.

SBM without row
http://www.oldsmobile1958.com/extra/BM2.jpg

SBM with ROW
http://www.oldsmobile1958.com/extra/BM1.jpg

I know which one I prefer..
:p

Sailor Steve
10-25-07, 04:56 PM
Who's hosting your pictures, Foo? All I see are red Xes

FooFighters
10-26-07, 01:40 AM

:hmm: I can see both nice and clearly..

3Jane
10-26-07, 03:44 AM
Just a question, would this port to SHIII. :p

MONOLITH
10-26-07, 07:18 AM
FOO, do you have ROW first, with SBM on top of it? Is that correct?

FooFighters
10-26-07, 08:48 AM
FOO, do you have ROW first, with SBM on top of it? Is that correct?

and..... that's the correct answer..

You want to play for the fridge.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sorry.. still one hour of work to go before weekend kicks in..
I'm pretty bored. keep hitting the + on the numpad. but no-joy.

MONOLITH
10-26-07, 09:07 AM
LOL.

Thanks.

Sailor Steve
10-26-07, 04:15 PM

Ne'mind; I see 'em now too. Must'a been a watchamacallit technical glitch. Yeah, that's the ticket...:sunny:

Digital_Trucker
10-26-07, 06:03 PM

Ne'mind; I see 'em now too. Must'a been a watchamacallit technical glitch. Yeah, that's the ticket...:sunny:

Known in network vernacular as "Internet Constipation". There is no known cure. Please make contributions to find a cure to my paypal account.

P.S. Sailor Steve, I saw the red xs too. Thought I was having flashbacks and didn't say anything.

W_clear
10-31-07, 03:57 AM
great job!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

Lionman
11-07-07, 09:38 AM
Great job sober. As a former Ghost Recon sniper your MOD makes me wanna land on the beach and pick a good spot on that hillside to lurk with my binos and scope, watching the channel!

Doolittle81
11-24-07, 03:09 PM
When I try to install this Mod, it says it will overwrite ROW:

"Detaile.dds" has already been altered by the "ROW Textures with Sun Halo camera flair vs_4" mod.
"Detaile_lr.dds" has already been altered by the "ROW Textures with Sun Halo camera flair vs_4" mod.

Should I worry about this....or just go ahead and install the mountain Mod?

THE_MASK
11-24-07, 03:40 PM
Install anytime (game not actually running) even in the middle of a patrol as it only overrides dds files . Try it and it will work . Uninstall anytime if you dont like it .

Lionman
11-24-07, 04:16 PM
When I try to install this Mod, it says it will overwrite ROW:

"Detaile.dds" has already been altered by the "ROW Textures with Sun Halo camera flair vs_4" mod.
"Detaile_lr.dds" has already been altered by the "ROW Textures with Sun Halo camera flair vs_4" mod.

Should I worry about this....or just go ahead and install the mountain Mod?

Hey that Machinima link in your sig tag is fantastic! has anyone made machinima epics with SH II or IV yet?

Doolittle81
11-24-07, 05:39 PM
Hey that Machinima link in your sig tag is fantastic! Has anyone made machinima epics with SH II or IV yet?

There have been some nice very short SH4 movies, but no so-called 'epic's. The Flight Sim world, specifically the IL2 Flight Sim series, has a sizable movie-making niche community and over the past 5 years a Lot of great movies have been produced (Sixty of the best of the best can be found at the FlightSimMachinima link in my Sigblock). I was co-producer and story/screenplay writer of the only FlightSim movie epic, "Faith, Hope, and Charity".....and my particular focus in movie-making has been on "The Story"...without an engaging story, you have nothing but eye candy, which can hold the attention of the viewer for only so long, seldom more than 4-5 minutes.

I am new to SH4, but the potential of SH4 in terms of graphics, visuals, cinematography is astounding. The many 'free' camera tools offer endless opportunities for creative cinematography and the ROW Mod visuals are a movie-maker's dream.

So far, I've only been experimenting with those "tools" just for the sheer beauty of it all, but I plan to write a good Sub War story/screenplay very soon...then I will very likely be calling upon interested SH4'ers who might be interested in joining up in a group movie-making project.

Making machinima movies is not nearly as simple as it would seem at first glance..."Faith, Hope, and Charity" involved about a dozen committed guys and took us two full years to complete. Of course that is an hour long movie with a totally original musical score and complex state-of-the-art CGI components.

I would estimate that a quality SH4 movie of, say, 20 minutes duration could be cranked out in about 3 months. When the time comes, I'll be starting a thread on the matter/project.

Lionman
11-24-07, 06:35 PM
Hey that Machinima link in your sig tag is fantastic! Has anyone made machinima epics with SH II or IV yet?
There have been some nice very short SH4 movies, but no so-called 'epic's. The Flight Sim world, specifically the IL2 Flight Sim series, has a sizable movie-making niche community and over the past 5 years a Lot of great movies have been produced (Sixty of the best of the best can be found at the FlightSimMachinima link in my Sigblock). I was co-producer and story/screenplay writer of the only FlightSim movie epic, "Faith, Hope, and Charity".....and my particular focus in movie-making has been on "The Story"...without an engaging story, you have nothing but eye candy, which can hold the attention of the viewer for only so long, seldom more than 4-5 minutes.

I am new to SH4, but the potential of SH4 in terms of graphics, visuals, cinematography is astounding. The many 'free' camera tools offer endless opportunities for creative cinematography and the ROW Mod visuals are a movie-maker's dream.

So far, I've only been experimenting with those "tools" just for the sheer beauty of it all, but I plan to write a good Sub War story/screenplay very soon...then I will very likely be calling upon interested SH4'ers who might be interested in joining up in a group movie-making project.

Making machinima movies is not nearly as simple as it would seem at first glance..."Faith, Hope, and Charity" involved about a dozen committed guys and took us two full years to complete. Of course that is an hour long movie with a totally original musical score and complex state-of-the-art CGI components.

I would estimate that a quality SH4 movie of, say, 20 minutes duration could be cranked out in about 3 months. When the time comes, I'll be starting a thread on the matter/project.
Thank you for this fascinating and informative reply. As I once directed, scripted, choreographed and created the musical score for a multi screen 35 movie back in my student days, I can well imagine the complexity of a machinima project and admire your tenacity and skills. I have downloaded Faith, Hope & Charity and am about to watch it - so I am most glad to meet one of those who created it and perhaps one of the principals in the project.

I look forward to the thread you mention you intend starting regarding machinima projects with SH and agree with your enthusiasm about its visual possibilities, especially with the amazing ROW MOD. Indeed, as a former professional mariner I often create scenarios in SH II & IV just for the pleasure of "being at sea" again, even if vicariously, as the available weather and ocean effects are in a whole different league from any other sim I have experienced.

:arrgh!: