PDA

View Full Version : ship damage question

The Bandit
09-28-07, 07:22 AM
Just a questing about modding, probably been asked a few hundred times before but which files do I have to open and change to mod the hit/damage points of enemy ships or the damage effect my own torps will have. Right now I am playing with TM 1.6 and driving an old S boat and the biggest ship I can sink in one spread is a light cruiser. I have put 4 torps into the side of both a Mogami and a Takeo class CA and both of them get away with a really heavy list. Also is there any way to have the crew just abandon ship after a list gets to a certian point? The Mogami just about had one of its shafts out of the water. I have also gone up against battleships with the same result. After eating 4 torps below the buldge a Kongo BB escaped at 14 knots. I can understand it being able to survive 4 torps but the 14 knots is the thing that gets me. I have downloaded the SH3minitweeker but I haven't beenable to get it to work, it says it that no path exists. Anyways sorry for the rant but I just thought I would put a post out on this.

ReallyDedPoet
09-28-07, 07:34 AM
I have downloaded the SH3minitweeker but I haven't beenable to get it to work, it says it that no path exists. Anyways sorry for the rant but I just thought I would put a post out on this.

As far as the minitweeker, there is an option to direct it to the files you want to tweek, so browse > program files > ubisoft > SH4, direct it there.

Some of the modders here will add more to the other part of your question. Trigger as you know has the Natural Sinking Mechanics Mod ( that thread has a great explanation on how it works ) added in so this has something to do with what you are talking about. Ships sink differently depending upon size, etc.

RDP

alamwuhk2a
09-28-07, 08:07 AM
Maybe you need to pinpoint a single compartment with 2 torpedoes to make it sink faster. Somehow I found that for heavy and armoured ship, their compartments are harder and a spread of torpedos just made it list for some angles, but pinpointing 2 eels at a point may make it smoke:|\\
Hope it helps:hmm:

The Bandit
09-28-07, 10:44 AM
yeah I'll try putting two of them closer together. Speaking of damage though another thing thats really getting to me and has happend a number of times is, after surviving a depthcharging (I was at around 240 feet in an S boat, I had to blow ballest to get on the roof) my diesels won't work and I loose all dive control as soon as I go back down, even though my electric motors do work. Now this IS after taking heay damage but all flooding and visible damage has been repaired, even my damage analyzer clears me for periscope depth and there is no flooding and no damage to the dive planes transmission so theres no reason for the sever angles.

WernerSobe
09-28-07, 11:40 AM
TM 1.6 has natural sinking mechanics 3.2. Get the latest version 3.3 here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120269&highlight=Natural+sinking

and you should be fine.

Dont touch the hitpoints on your own, it wont help you because the NSM damage system is not based on hitpoints.

ReallyDedPoet
09-28-07, 11:44 AM

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120269&highlight=Natural+sinking

and you should be fine.

Right on WS, made reference to this in an earlier post.

RDP

leovampire
09-28-07, 01:44 PM

and you should be fine.

Dont touch the hitpoints on your own, it wont help you because the NSM damage system is not based on hitpoints.

Also every ship has a sweet spot to help sink them you just need to find it and nail it first then hit other area's to get the ship to flood faster. The mor compartment's you have flooding the faster they go down and the less chance of them getting away.

The Bandit
09-28-07, 09:18 PM
any idea why my sub is immobile on the surface though? the diesels did take a good bit of damage but they were repaired and the flooding was stopped in all compartments. My fuel tanks didn't leak (I still have about 3/4 of a tank left) but the diesels refuse to turn on on the surface. I can set the annunicator to anything that I want to (all ahead full, back 1/3) and the sub just refuses to move on the surface. When I dive the electric motors will take over, proving that there is no shaft damage or anything like that done. The other thing I'm not getting is why I would loose depth control. I could understand if the submarine was totally screwed and as soon as I dove I would start flooding from the damaged compartments, but that dosn't happen, it just starts going down by the aft end until I blow ballest, maybe a problem with the trim tanks? The damage to most of my systems are reporting is "Optimizing". Since the diesels will not start the batteries are not charging but strangely enough the compressor which took almost as much damage as the diesels did, is able to start and refill the air tank.

leovampire
09-28-07, 09:25 PM
any idea why my sub is immobile on the surface though? the diesels did take a good bit of damage but they were repaired and the flooding was stopped in all compartments. My fuel tanks didn't leak (I still have about 3/4 of a tank left) but the diesels refuse to turn on on the surface. I can set the annunicator to anything that I want to (all ahead full, back 1/3) and the sub just refuses to move on the surface. When I dive the electric motors will take over, proving that there is no shaft damage or anything like that done. The other thing I'm not getting is why I would loose depth control. I could understand if the submarine was totally screwed and as soon as I dove I would start flooding from the damaged compartments, but that dosn't happen, it just starts going down by the aft end until I blow ballest, maybe a problem with the trim tanks? The damage to most of my systems are reporting is "Optimizing". Since the diesels will not start the batteries are not charging but strangely enough the compressor which took almost as much damage as the diesels did, is able to start and refill the air tank.

Only what you can repair with the crew is reported. There is a program that Billko made that allows you to see things not normaly reported.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121353

Check it out add it and see what is happening.

The Bandit
09-29-07, 02:36 AM
yeah thats the tool I am using ; a number of things come up as optimizing but nothing comes up as "damaged beyond repair" and the diesels are not on the list. I'm not at my computer right now so I couldn't tell you everything that is on the list, but I do remember that the Hull has taken heavy damage and is certified for 60 feet by the damage control party. I've been thinking that the loss of depth control (the stern just keeps sinking and trying to pull the rest of the sub with it) could be due to damage that the pumps or their associated parts (trim tanks) may have taken, but again the pumps have been repaired and I don't belive the hydraulics for the planes or rudder was damaged. I can understand and even get behind the fact that once somthing is subject to that kind of sever damage its not going to come back 100% and that there could be consequences with it. I just don't get why the sub refuses to move on the surface. I am starting to think that maybe the diesels were some how knocked off their mounts or somthing but I just wish there was somthing that would tell me why my sub refuses to move on the surface. When I am submerged I can get a good 7-8 knots at flank speed, undamaged I belive that they can do 9knots submerged so judging by that the props and shafts don't have very much damage done to them. The loss of speed could come from the extreme angle the sub takes under water and the fact that I have to keep it at flank speed to avoide sinking to crush depth.

Edit: OK home now I have both Damage Analyzer 2 and Damage Control 1.0 running. Both Report pretty much the same thing only what shows up as optimizing on Damage Control 1.0 (compressor, hydraulic pump, forward battaries, the WCA stack and both periscopes) show up a little different on DA2. The compressor and pump are "axis off center" which I can only assume to mean that they were knocked off their mounts in the depth charging. The periscopes and the sonar show up as scratched and the forward batteries show up as having 90% capacity left (they did take a little damage). Now what is a little interesting is that it does show small leaks as being present in the torpedo room, which DC1.0 doesn't show but neither show any damage to the diesel engines or provide any explanation to why the sub is immobile. The sub is cleared to periscope depth by DC1.0 and does show to have heavy damage, my question is though why is the damage to the diesels not showing up?