PDA

View Full Version : Tech problem, can anyone help?

doubletap
09-07-07, 07:30 AM
Hello,

I just got SC, installed/patched to 1.08, and it simply does not run.

With the task manager open, I can se the process appear on the list and then disappear by itself.

I tried system compatibility mode for WIN98 and WIN95, and I get the following error:

"Unable to load function: FT_Thunk (KERNEL32.dll)"

I'm using XP SP2, fully updated, rock-solid stable. I also have DW installed, and it plays without a hitch.

Thanks for any help.

P.S.: Cross-posted to the Sonalysts tech help forum, just checking to see if anyone had this problem and can help with a workaround.

Dmitry Markov
09-07-07, 07:39 AM
I run SC (SCXIIc) both on my PC under XP SP2 and on my laptop under XP Home and never had any problem. Maybe the thing is about some drivers for your hardware?

doubletap
09-07-07, 09:38 AM
Well, I've done some searching on the net about this type of error, seemed to be common when people started upgrading from ME to XP. Had to do with the OS, and mostly it could be solved with compatibility mode.

For me, it never works. With compatibility mode off, or set to 2000 or NT, it shuts down the process after a couple seconds, with no error message. If I set it to 95 or 98/me, it shuts down with the error.

I've already reinstalled twice, the problem persists.

Thanks for the quick reply.

hossa18
09-09-07, 11:20 AM
Is your kernel32.dll corrupted or old? I'm running XPSP2 and my kernel32 version is 5.1.2600.3119. Can send you a copy if you need it.

doubletap
09-09-07, 12:41 PM
I suspected as much myself, so I got a copy from a friend. Same version number as yours. Thanks for offering, anyway :)

hossa18
09-10-07, 01:50 PM
It's a 1 in 1000 longshot, but did you rename the movie folder? Sometimes a game won't load because of the stupid intro movie.

Also, I have the Steam version of SC. Is yours from Steam by any chance? (It downloads as v1.08, no patch required.)