PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Making certain components non-repairable

LukeFF
09-01-07, 07:39 PM
One of the things that bugs me is how certain damaged components can be repaired without any issue at all, when in reality it was highly unlikely if, not impossible, for them to be repaired at sea. As I recall from AoD, these types of things could NOT be repaired at sea:

-Torpedo tube doors
-Dive planes
-Rudder
-Propellors / Propellor Shafts

Yet, in SH3/SH4, these types of things can be repaired with no issues at all. I had all of the above damage occur to my sub in a mission last night, and I watched in amazement as my crew repaired each item in a couple of hours flat. If they can be that efficient, what's the point of drydock? Just let the crew do all the work!

So, is there a way to make these items still vulnerable to damage and destruction, yet unable to be repaired by the crew? Image the added realism it would bring - torpedo doors jammed due to depth charge damage? Time to return to base! Dive planes damaged? Get ready for slower dive times!

So, how about it? Is there a way to do this?

leovampire
09-01-07, 08:36 PM
propeller shaft at sea and there was usualy 1 spare that was used for a brace inside of the sub when not needed for a repair on the actual shafts. And a Propeller could be changed at sea if they had a spare.

tater
09-01-07, 11:24 PM
Course now we have unrepairable diesel engines all the time, so it might balance out ;)

tater

theluckyone17
09-01-07, 11:28 PM
Not to mention pressure hulls that collapse on a whim, while Scotty (I don't know the name of the official engineer in charge of damage reports, so Scotty works) reports that the sub is in good condition... with not a hint of "Sir, you might not want to dive this deep..."

P.S.: In no way to I intend this as a slur against Scotty... 'cause if there's any engineer out there who would give me an accurate synopsis of the condition of my boat, it'd be Scotty, God rest his soul, both fictional and non.

tater
09-01-07, 11:29 PM
If you take a beating, go home. Scotty (the star trek one) might be able to report a hull %, but that's not possible in RL ;)

tater

leovampire
09-01-07, 11:35 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114405

even tell's me if I have minor leaks and where they are located on the sub and hull integtrity.

There are some parts of the sub that can not be repaired until you return to base it just dosn't list them all unless you use this mod.

Seadogs
09-01-07, 11:38 PM
If you take a beating, go home. Scotty (the star trek one) might be able to report a hull %, but that's not possible in RL ;)

tater

This is true but still a "hey thats not a good idea sir" would be appropriate. All well, it's an old issue and I've just gotten used to it by now. But still... if it was possible...:hmm:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114405

even tell's me if I have minor leaks and where they are located on the sub and hull integtrity.

There are some parts of the sub that can not be repaired yntil you return to base it just dosn't list them all unless you use this mod.

Thanks for reminding me about this, I was put off at first on how you use it. But on second thought I'll give it a shot for after action reports.:up:

vindex
09-02-07, 08:32 PM
If you take a beating, go home. Scotty (the star trek one) might be able to report a hull %, but that's not possible in RL

But you would have some idea. The best would be a qualitative damage report that didn't give you a percentage but some idea of the range (e.g., Near Collapse = 0-20%, Perfect = 100%, Sound = 80-100%, etc.).

On thing that perplexes me: the sub damage system worked in SH3, so what happened? And that includes ramming/indestructible conning towers!

leovampire
09-02-07, 08:45 PM
for all the ships and subs in the game with each having their own armor and hit points and colision this and that for every little thing. But a lot of them do not have name tags to go along with them so figuring it all out and fixing each little item can become a serious trial and ERROR thing.

Someday someone like Anvart will figure it all out and make mod's that take care of all that stuff but until then it is up to us all to work at it little by little until it can be figured out.

And I don't think they intended this game to have a hull damage reading like they did for SHIII. Because in real life they took their chances diving after recieving damage and waited until water started comming out of everything to decied if that is to deep or not.

So for the best cheat available to see how you are doing hull and damage wise use the damage anilizer mod.

donut
09-02-07, 09:19 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=637215&postcount=55 Hav a laugh on me.

@ Leo, Hull/Sub % is given in nonrepairable damage, mouse over orange text for damage control team. Text will be yellow if no damage:lol: