PDA

View Full Version : 16km atmosphere mod

Zakalwe
08-26-07, 05:47 PM
Hi,

after my 3rd patrol in GWX I decided to give the 16km atmosphere mod a try.

Enabled it via JSGME and started my new patrol..... wow a very surreal look. I had a black sky at noon with clouds normally lightened.

Any ideas? (Ati 9700pro with CAt 6.2 on W2Kpro)

Z.

melnibonian
08-26-07, 05:52 PM
Check out this thread http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121046 and follow the instructions concerning Rollback of SH3Cmdr

Shelton
08-26-07, 10:02 PM
what does this mod actually do for game play? what are the effects if any ?

Heibges
08-27-07, 01:03 AM
It gives you realistic sighting distances. You can see merchants on a good day at 14k, and truly follow them at the edge of the horizon.:up:

Shelton
08-27-07, 02:40 AM
wow that is neat!
thanks.

Zakalwe
08-27-07, 06:10 AM
THX,

I knew I must be having missed something really simple..... :damn: :oops:

Z.

Gezoes
08-27-07, 06:32 AM
It gives you realistic sighting distances. You can see merchants on a good day at 14k, and truly follow them at the edge of the horizon.:up:

Really... :huh:

I thought it had to do with the spawning/rendering distance, not necessarily ones own sighting distance.

Will give it go ASAP!

joegrundman
08-27-07, 08:16 AM
If your PC can handle it you must use this mod!!! It also means that you can abandon your unhistorical dependence on dipping down for a listen all the time too.

IrischKapitan
08-27-07, 10:06 AM
If your PC can handle it you must use this mod!!! It also means that you can abandon your unhistorical dependence on dipping down for a listen all the time too.

Just make sure your watch crew are awake! You'll be spotting merchies and warships much sooner!

Sailor Steve
08-27-07, 12:05 PM

Really... :huh:

I thought it had to do with the spawning/rendering distance, not necessarily ones own sighting distance.

Will give it go ASAP!
Oh, yeah! One day sailing out of Kiel I could still see the lighthouses flashing. I measured the range on the map; it was actually 20km! Sometimes you'll get a "Ship spotted!" message, and when you look all you can see is the smoke. It's almost as fun as AOD was in that regard..."Smoke on the horizon, Sir!"

Zakalwe
08-27-07, 06:00 PM
Wow,

really missed something here so far, this mod is great. And it seems even my elderly system can handle it, didn`t encouter a convoy though.

`night

Z.

Packerton
08-27-07, 07:01 PM
It doesent require a better computer to handle it really.

The Game ALWAYS renders things at 16km away anyway, you just cant see them till 8km.

In stock or withouth the mod if your game ever froze for a second when you were on a concept intercept path, but you cant see the ships thats a sign they were just rendered so your useing the same amount of CPU power.

onelifecrisis
08-27-07, 07:11 PM
There's another very good reason to use the 16km mod in GWX, which is that (according to Rubini - and my own experience) it fixes the "watch crew asleep" problem. In 8km mode, the watch crew are blind (you can see to 8km but they can only see about 8 feet) but in 16km their eyes are just as sharp as yours, more or less, and they'll report contacts at 15km or more in good visibility, and more often than not they'll see the enemy before the enemy sees you (unlike in 8km).

onelifecrisis
08-27-07, 07:14 PM
It doesent require a better computer to handle it really.

The Game ALWAYS renders things at 16km away anyway, you just cant see them till 8km.

In stock or withouth the mod if your game ever froze for a second when you were on a concept intercept path, but you cant see the ships thats a sign they were just rendered so your useing the same amount of CPU power.

Not true. The CPU load is definitely higher on 16km. You can test this quite easily by using an internal view (while submerged if you like, just for good measure). You'll notice much higher CPU usage with 16km installed even though your PC isn't rendering any ships at all.

TarJak
08-27-07, 07:15 PM
The one "problem" with this mod is that it gives your crew night vision par excellence! they can still spot ships in the blackest night (no fog) at extreme distances that in RL would be quite difficult without modern technology (night vision headset etc.)

IIRC it also increases the AI spotting capability although you should almost always see them before they see you under 1xTC.

onelifecrisis
08-27-07, 07:21 PM
The one "problem" with this mod is that it gives your crew night vision par excellence! they can still spot ships in the blackest night (no fog) at extreme distances that in RL would be quite difficult without modern technology (night vision headset etc.)

IIRC it also increases the AI spotting capability although you should almost always see them before they see you under 1xTC.

Are you talking about GWX? Cos I find their night vision in 16km to be on par, relatively speaking, with 8km i.e. they can spot things at about 8km on a clear night with the 16km modlet installed, whereas from what I've read, it's about 4km when using 8km visibility.

NipplesTheCat
08-27-07, 08:04 PM
How do I install this with GWX? They said it can be enabled with another program but im not sure how that works. Can someone explain the process please?

BROJD
08-27-07, 08:48 PM
This mod absolutely kills my CPU. Any external views crawl to an absolute halt and make the game essentially unplayable.

Can I adjust any of the in-game graphics settings to get this to work? I don't mind extra load times, but I do want to be able to play when it's loaded.

I've got 1 GB of RAM, 2.8 GHz CPU, and am running a 128 MB video card.

Do I just need to suck it up and get a better graphics card?

NipplesTheCat
08-27-07, 09:15 PM
What video card is it exactly? The memory size doesnt say much about the card itself. There are mant great cards out there that still have 256mb or 512mb but most recent cards have 256 or more. I am guessing that your video card is old and needs to be replaced. The rest of the system is ok. I ran 16km mod with TGW 1.1a on my 2.0g with a low end ati x1300 at playable fps (30ish).

BROJD
08-27-07, 09:19 PM
Video Card: Intel 82915G

How do I install this with GWX? They said it can be enabled with another program but im not sure how that works. Can someone explain the process please?

If you're using SH3 Commander, be sure to ROLLBACK first.

Then go into your SH3 folder and run JSGME. That will allow you to install and run certain GWX mods.

NipplesTheCat
08-27-07, 09:29 PM
Ouch. On board video? That would be the problem. Even a low end card would help. That is an AGP system im assuming?