PDA

View Full Version : [REL] RadioStationManager V1.0

Digital_Trucker
08-16-07, 02:04 PM
RadioStationManager
February 15, 2008 : Version 1.2 now available. This version is to squash a bug that caused data in added event entries to be corrupted.

Now available only in the smaller footprint version. Download at Subsim Downloads (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=592) or at Downunder.net (http://www.downbelow.net/mods_4/RSM/RSM1.2.rar)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/digital_trucker/Screenshots/RSM1.jpg

Purpose : Complete management of the radio station functions of Silent Hunter IV.

It allows the editing/addition/removal of radio stations including scripted events.

Data verification in all fields. This application verifies that the media files specified in the scripted events do exist and therefore eliminates the crash to desktop caused by a missing (or misnamed media file). This app also verifies that all events are in the correct chronological order.

It has a function to work-around the save date/time bug in the scripted events (i.e. no more listening to events that go back to your patrol start date when you restart a game in the middle of a patrol).

Credits

Many thanks to Misfit138 for serving as “guinea pig” and doing testing, and starting the whole process with his idea.

Thanks, too, to JScones for the “real estate” advice and operational advice.

I'd also like to thank the Academy, and all my fans..... oh.. wait... wrong speech

Hi, Mom!

Requirements

Windows XP/Vista?/2000? (not certain about Vista or 2000 and have no way of testing at the moment)
Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

Limitations

50 Radio Stations
1500 events per station
1 media file per event

Installation

With JSGME : Put the folder RadioStationManager into your MODS folder and enable it with JSGME.
Without JSGME : Place the executable (RadioStationManager.exe) in the same folder as sh4.exe.
Either way, create a shortcut on your desktop for the RadioStationManager.exe file.

If there are any problems, feel free to post here or to email me at the address in the documentation. I hope this app makes your radio experience with SH4 an enjoyable one!

wovik
08-16-07, 02:59 PM
Downloaded and tried this version and it works great. :up:

chris455
08-16-07, 05:13 PM
Looks like a great mod, but I keep getting an error message "Event date/Time out of sequence; please correct"
Everything looks in sequence to me.
Ideas?

Misfit138
08-16-07, 05:15 PM
Looks like a great mod, but I keep getting an error message "Event date/Time out of sequence; please correct"
Everything looks in sequence to me.
Ideas?

This could be pretty much anything. An event in a wrong place or two different events set to happen on excatly same date and time

On which station you get this error?

Digital_Trucker
08-16-07, 05:22 PM
When that error is displayed, the line causing the error should appear at the top of the data grid area for the events. If you scroll up at least one line and look at the dates and times of the events, they should be out of chronological order. Don't forget that the dates are in day, month, year order. After looking at the line above the highlighted line, if they are still in order, please zip the events.ini file that is causing the problem up and email it to the address in the ReadMe pdf and give me the date on the line that is highlighted. I'll try to recreate the problem and correct it.

Edit : Hey, Misfit, you snuck in there while I was typing :rotfl:

chris455
08-16-07, 05:29 PM
I think I'm getting it on NBC. I will check it out and submit it for your review if I can't figure it out. Thanks, great mod looking forward to using it;)

Misfit138
08-16-07, 05:32 PM

Hey, what can you do if you have no life :p

I think I'm getting it on NBC

Umm, which one of those NBC stations?

ReallyDedPoet
08-16-07, 06:19 PM
Nice work, great to see this released :up:

RDP

Bill Nichols
08-16-07, 06:22 PM
When that error is displayed, the line causing the error should appear at the top of the data grid area for the events. If you scroll up at least one line and look at the dates and times of the events, they should be out of chronological order. Don't forget that the dates are in day, month, year order. After looking at the line above the highlighted line, if they are still in order, please zip the events.ini file that is causing the problem up and email it to the address in the ReadMe pdf and give me the date on the line that is highlighted. I'll try to recreate the problem and correct it.

I found that quite a few of my stations had events out of order, file names different from what was in the event list ( like using '-' instead of '_' ), etc. I was able to fix them all and (hopefully) avoid some radio-created crash.

Great mod/utility this :up: :up: :up:

chris455
08-16-07, 06:41 PM
I think I'm getting it on NBC

Umm, which one of those NBC stations?[/quote]

I beleive the download was called "Just40sNBC"

I got the problem figured out, this is a great mod.;)

Digital_Trucker
08-16-07, 07:09 PM
@chris455 Glad you got it sorted out and

@RDP and Bill Nichols Glad you like and that it's doing what it's supposed to do.

@Misft138 I can certainly relate to that "no life" comment:rotfl:

Misfit138
08-16-07, 07:13 PM
I got the problem figured out, this is a great mod.;)

Great to hear!

These problems with radio mods are something what the authors need to take a look into with this tool. Like for example, radio Tokyo from MultiStation V2 seems to be completely bugged but I guess it's not supported anymore...Same thing with BBC from that same pack but it got only a few errors but none of the less. Only one is enough for that beautiful view of your desktop...

leovampire
08-16-07, 09:54 PM
thanks for the work just need to learn how to use it LOL!

Slow learner somtimes here! I think Sober said he is the president of that
so I guess he is my boss now LOL!

PULSEOX
08-16-07, 10:15 PM
OK- I keep getting a "radio.ini" file not found message.
Now I think this may be because I didn't install the radio as a mod? (because I didn't want to have all that backup from JSMG). I took Capt Midnite CBS-and added a few stations-like the Tokyo one, etc-made my own config file-and just put it all in the games Sound/Radio file-so it just repaces the original-rather than playing like a mod.
So is it still possible to use the Radiomanager mod? (I hope!)
Should I install it somewhere else?
Why can't it find the radio.ini?

JScones
08-16-07, 10:25 PM
Looking good Digital_Trucker. :up: :rock:

Misfit138
08-16-07, 10:25 PM
@PULSEOX

Have you placed the RadioStation Manager exe into the Silent Hunter 4 root folder?

PULSEOX
08-16-07, 10:35 PM
Yes, that's where it is.....(with a shortcut on my desktop)

Misfit138
08-16-07, 10:38 PM

Hmm, and you're sure that there's that radio.ini file in your radio folder (Data/Sound/Radio)?

PULSEOX
08-16-07, 10:41 PM
OOPS!
After reading your first post again-I realized the RSM exe was inside a FOLDER in the root directory. After I took it out of the folder-now all's well.
THANKS for the help!

Misfit138
08-16-07, 10:56 PM
THANKS for the help!

Hehe, no problem :)

Besides, the bigger my post count is, the bigger virtual IT I have :p

panthercules
08-16-07, 11:47 PM
Got a question - this sounds really cool, and I just D/L'ed it to try it out, as I've shied away so far from adding any more radio stations beyond the CBS one 'cause it seemed pretty complicated to manage them all. However, I fired this up and McAfee popped up a warning that it was trying to access the Internet. Why would this program need to access the Internet just to manage the radio stations in my SH4 install?

Digital_Trucker
08-17-07, 09:21 AM
@panthercules There is no valid reason for the app to connect to the internet unless it is something in the .Net code that checks for updates (or some other vile Billyesque windows function). The only thing that comes to mind is that I did tell .Net what the requirements were for the app (.Net 2 being one of those) and it may be looking for the .Net framework if you don't have it installed already. Mine has never tried to access the internet, so this is a possibility.

Edit : Any way you could PM me the IP address that it was trying to connect with? That would give me an idea what it was doing. I'm thinking it probably is .Net or digital signature related.

@ Leo : Instructions and documentation are not my strong points, unfortunately. Sober's my boss, too. I'm more of a click this and see what happens kind of learner:rotfl:
@JScones 'preciate it.

@PULSEOX Glad you got it worked out. Thanks, Misfit, for helping out (and boosting your post count :rock: )

PULSEOXs problem caused me to think of something I should have added into the application to begin with. It would be very easy for my app to make sure that it is installed in the correct folder by checking for the existence of the game exe and tell the user that the program is installed incorrectly if it doesn't find it. I think I'll add that to the next version.

chopped50ford
08-17-07, 08:44 PM
Okay, im frustrated.

what does the "out of date sequence mean?" The dates from the original files all are in order...but why does it keep causing an error?

I notice too that in the CBS folder, none of the events are played...how does the radio work and feed into the events folder? Do you take them out and place them w/ the commercials?

Thanks

Misfit138
08-17-07, 08:59 PM
Okay, im frustrated.

what does the "out of date sequence mean?" The dates from the original files all are in order...but why does it keep causing an error?

I'm pretty certain that if you get this kind of error then there are problems with the events.ini files date inputs

It could be duplicated input, two events set to happen on excatly same time and date or like this

[EVENT]
StartDate=08.12.1941
StartTime=14.00.00
MediaFile=1941-12-08-Roosevelt-BBC.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=01.12.1941
StartTime=17.00.00
MediaFile=1941-12-08-BBC_Wilfred_Pickles_News_on_the_Far_East.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=16.12.1941
StartTime=17.00.00
MediaFile=1941-12-xx-World_War_II_Shows_411111-ConvoyInAtlantic.mp3

Digital_Trucker
08-17-07, 09:00 PM
Out of date sequence means that the date/time for the entry that is displayed is less than or equal to the date/time for the entry before it. When it gives you that error, scroll up 1 line and compare the dates in the start date column for the two records. One of them will be out of place and you can move them with the up and down buttons to put them in the right place.

Not sure what you mean by taking them out and putting them in with the commercials, but the stuff outside the events folder gets played randomly and the stuff inside the events folder gets played when a line in the events.ini file says to play it. If there is a line in the events.ini file that specifies a media file that isn't inside the Events folder then at that date and time your game will crash.

Edit: Misfit, how'd you know I was typing again? You psychic or something?:rotfl:

Misfit138
08-17-07, 09:05 PM
Edit: Misfit, how'd you know I was typing again? You psychic or something?:rotfl:

Actually I am :cool: I can predict the future so I predict now that I've sold my ATI card, the next Catalyst drivers are optimized completely for Silent Hunter 4 :lol:

Digital_Trucker
08-17-07, 09:11 PM
Actually I am :cool: I can predict the future so I predict now that I've sold my ATI card, the next Catalyst drivers are optimized completely for Silent Hunter 4 :lol:

If I had a dollar, I'd make ya a bet against that. I think the odds are with me:p

panthercules
08-17-07, 11:27 PM
@panthercules There is no valid reason for the app to connect to the internet unless it is something in the .Net code that checks for updates (or some other vile Billyesque windows function). The only thing that comes to mind is that I did tell .Net what the requirements were for the app (.Net 2 being one of those) and it may be looking for the .Net framework if you don't have it installed already. Mine has never tried to access the internet, so this is a possibility.

Edit : Any way you could PM me the IP address that it was trying to connect with? That would give me an idea what it was doing. I'm thinking it probably is .Net or digital signature related.

Wish I could, but I can't seem to get McAfee to tell me anything about what the program was trying to do or where it was trying to go, and now when I try to fire it up again it just throws off errors with huge reports that it wants to send to Microsoft. I can't figure out how to copy the error report, but you can see part of it here:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/Cladean/Errormessage.jpg

Guess I'll have to wait for the next version and try again. I've got versions 1, 2 and 3 of the .NET stuff loaded up and fully updated for various other reasons, so it shouldn't need to go check for anything like that but maybe it's trying anyway.

Digital_Trucker
08-18-07, 09:51 AM
I should have asked to begin with, but what operating system are you running?

If you've got all the .NETs installed, I can't understand why it would be attempting any internet communication (unless it's a digital signature thing). I'll rebuild it with no signature and send you a link to it via PM. If that solves the internet communication problem, then we'll know what it was doing.

JScones
08-18-07, 10:46 AM
@D_T: The error message that panthercules posted is very helpful, especially P9.

A q: do you have your app set as 'Make single instance application' on the Project Designer Application page?

If so, that will be why. The first instance listens through a local network port with subsequent instances passing parameters to the first instance via this port (before exiting again). In this case McAfee is blocking teh access. BTW McAfee and .NET don't play well together. ;)

IIRC there should be an option to stop listening to the port. Try that.

If you don't have make single instance selected, I have some other thoughts, but this is usually the most common. ;)

Digital_Trucker
08-18-07, 10:57 AM
A q: do you have your app set as 'Make single instance application' on the Project Designer Application page?

If so, that will be why. The first instance works through a local network port with subsequent instances passing parameters to the first instance via this port (before exiting again). In this case McAfee is blocking teh access. BTW McAfee and .NET don't play well together. ;)

:rock: It's nice to have a pro around! Yes, I do have it set up as a single instance (only because I didn't think it would be a good idea to be trying to change the same files with 2 different instances). The only thing I'm wondering about in that regard, though, is why it would trigger McAfee on panthercules machine and not trigger ZoneAlarm pro on mine? Of course, the answer to that may fall into the "Twilight Zone" category:damn:

JScones
08-18-07, 11:04 AM
:rock: It's nice to have a pro around! Yes, I do have it set up as a single instance (only because I didn't think it would be a good idea to be trying to change the same files with 2 different instances). The only thing I'm wondering about in that regard, though, is why it would trigger McAfee on panthercules machine and not trigger ZoneAlarm pro on mine? Of course, the answer to that may fall into the "Twilight Zone" category:damn:
It's simply down to McAfee and .NET not playing well together "out of the box".

The key connection was the P9 description and panthercules (fortunately) mentioning McAfee. I remember a user having a similar problem over a year ago (seems things haven't changed since then ;))! Unfortunately, short of disabling the firewall, I can't remember what changes the client can make in their firewall to get the two playing again (I use ZA as well).

McAfee Firewall is just more sensitive I guess. Much like Avasti! virus scanner is more sensitive than pretty much any other too.

Digital_Trucker
08-18-07, 11:52 AM
@ JScones In thinking about it, it may be that ZA either recognizes the attempt for what it is or that it doesn't trigger an alarm until there is an actual communication attempt from outside the system. Or I may be giving it more credit for "intelligence" than it deserves :rotfl:

I may just see how hard it would be for the app to check to make sure that it is the only instance running and terminate if it is not.

@panthercules I sent ya 2 PMs both with links to slightly different modifications of the app. The first one is with no digital signature and the second is with no single instance specification. Based JScones experience, I would say that the second has a better chance of working.

JScones
08-18-07, 12:06 PM
@panthercules I sent ya 2 PMs both with links to slightly different modifications of the app. The first one is with no digital signature and the second is with no single instance specification. Based JScones experience, I would say that the second has a better chance of working.
You may want to also get him, for the purpose of testing, to turn off his firewall and see what happens. Just to rule out any other external problems that have yet to surface (for example, running under a limited account). ;)

leovampire
08-18-07, 12:16 PM
a setting to scan for programs that use the internet. Have him or anyone with that do a scan then give the programs a general use check mark that alwows internet use and it will not happen again until he installs something else.

JScones
08-18-07, 12:21 PM
a setting to scan for programs that use the internet. Have him or anyone with that do a scan then give the programs a general use check mark that alwows internet use and it will not happen again until he installs something else.
Cool. Sounds like all he needs to do is add the app to his trusted zone and he'll be away again. If so, not too dissimilar to ZA.

Digital_Trucker
08-18-07, 12:38 PM
@leovampire and JScones

Thanks for the help, y'all. Whatever the resolution ends up being, I guess I need to add something to the install instructions in the readme (if it ever gets read:p ) to cover the situation.

@The rest of the world

If you had any difficulties installing/using the app and had to use some kind of workaround, please let me know what the difficulty was and the workaround for it so I can try to address the problems in the documentation to help folks in the future.

panthercules
08-18-07, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the help guys - I saw the PM from D_T before checking this thread - the second one (with JScones' suggestion) seems to have worked just fine (opened up the program without any error messages or McAfee alerts), so I didn't try the first one.

chopped50ford
08-18-07, 01:14 PM
Any idea on why a sound file would be playing at 2x its speed? I got NBC station sounding like Chipmonks...and I didnt do any changes.

Digital_Trucker
08-18-07, 02:11 PM
chopped50ford, that's one problem I don't think anyone has an answer to yet, unfortunately. I haven't experienced it yet, but many have and noone seems to be able to decipher where the problem is coming from. It's one of those :damn: things that there may never be an explanation for.

chopped50ford
08-18-07, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the update, just seemed weird. :hmm: It just started happening...last career it was fine. :smug:

JScones
08-19-07, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys - I saw the PM from D_T before checking this thread - the second one (with JScones' suggestion) seems to have worked just fine (opened up the program without any error messages or McAfee alerts), so I didn't try the first one.
Cool. If you know how, can you try adding the "original" app to your trusted zone in McAfee?

I ask because it would be much better IMHO to do that than have D_T ship a version that allows multiple instances, especially when the problem is seemingly limited to the .NET/McAfee combination, so a subset of overall users.

Sorry if I'm outta line here D_T.

Digital_Trucker
08-19-07, 08:33 AM

It's kinda difficult to get "outta line" with me:rotfl: I've been married to the same woman for 30 years, I'm used to "suggested behavior".:lol: No worries, m8, you make a good point.

Seriously, that is the best way to approach it, I believe. .NET is probably much better at checking for only a single instance than I am. If I wrote the code, it would probably look a lot like this:

Someone clicked on me, it's time to go to work.

Ok, only supposed to be one of me running, let's check

Am I running?

Yes, I am.

Ooops, I'm running already, there's only supposed to be one of me

Sorry, I gotta quit running, Mr. User

See ya

panthercules
08-19-07, 10:57 AM
Cool. If you know how, can you try adding the "original" app to your trusted zone in McAfee?

I ask because it would be much better IMHO to do that than have D_T ship a version that allows multiple instances, especially when the problem is seemingly limited to the .NET/McAfee combination, so a subset of overall users.

I found the trusted apps list screen in McAfee but there was no obvious way to add a new app to the list. I was able, however, to change "block" to "allow" on the program permissions screen in McAfee, and that seems to have done the trick - the original RSM (from ver.1.0) now fires up with no error messages or warnings.

I tried using this to add some additional radio stations (from the CBS-KNX mod by fred8165), and it seemed to go very well, though I haven't had time to test it out in game yet. Thanks for all the help.

Digital_Trucker
08-19-07, 11:24 AM
I found the trusted apps list screen in McAfee but there was no obvious way to add a new app to the list. I was able, however, to change "block" to "allow" on the program permissions screen in McAfee, and that seems to have done the trick - the original RSM (from ver.1.0) now fires up with no error messages or warnings.

I'm not familiar with McAfee's setup, but was that change just for the one app or was it a general change? I ask this because if it was a general change, then any app that tries to connect to the internet is going to be allowed to by default.

Perhaps a better way to approach it would be to set the general setting back to "ask" and then when it triggers when you try to start the app, tell it that it is ok for this app to connect. Again, I have no experience with McAfee so I don't really know exactly how to describe the process.

I do know that if that was a general setting, you don't want to leave it that way. It would open the door for all kinds of things that you don't want.

panthercules
08-19-07, 02:56 PM
It was a specific change just for that one program (RSM 1.0). For some reason, McAfee has one setup screen area for listing/changing permissions for letting programs access the Internet (where you can change the block/allow settings individually on a program-specific basis) that's very easy to understand, and then it has another setup screen area for "trusted programs" that is impenetrable and doesn't give you any clue as to how to add programs to the list (it only had one program on that list, so it's not duplicating the list of programs that have been granted access, and it at gives you some indication about how to remove a program from the trusted list but not any clue as to how to add one). In any event, changing RSM's specific permissions to allow it to access the Internet appears to have cleared up the problem.

Digital_Trucker
08-19-07, 03:59 PM
Just didn't want to leave you wide open because of one little program (specially since I wrote it). Sounds like McAfee has it's own little quirks just like ZoneAlarm and all the rest. Glad it's all sorted out.

leovampire
08-19-07, 06:28 PM
has a set up for individual aplications. It does a scan on all drives conected to my PC and finds all aplications that use the internet then gives a list of them and lets me decied if it should control the internet access of the aplication or if I want to set it's use personaly and change it to let me know everytime it accesses the internet or let it do it on it's own without notification or not let it access the internet at all then I never get a worning one way or the other.

JScones
08-19-07, 09:30 PM
Perfect. That's exactly what I had in mind and the way it's done in ZA as well. :up:

ironkross
10-08-07, 05:02 PM
Hmm, and you're sure that there's that radio.ini file in your radio folder (Data/Sound/Radio)?
I'm certain this will be a stupid question, as nearly all mine are, but where does the radio.ini file come from? Is it supposed to be in the vanilla game, or does RSM create it, or does the user create it? There isn't one in my Data/Sound/Radio file after installing RSM with JSGME.

Digital_Trucker
10-08-07, 05:22 PM
@ironkross It is created when the game is installed and modified later by RSM.

What operating system are you using? (I only ask because Vista does some strange things with added files anywhere inside the Program Files folder) and if Vista where do you have the game installed?

Do you know if you had one before you installed RSM?

Did you have any unexpected application closures (otherwise known as crashes:rotfl:) of RSM?

Are there any files in the blahblahblah\Data\Sound\Radio folder that look like radio.ini (e.g. radio.ini.old or radio.ini.new)?

When you start RSM do you get an error? If so, what error?

Why am I asking all of these questions?

Is the moon really made of green cheese?

What is the square root of pi?

BTW there is no such thing as a stupid question unless you are referring to the unasked ones.

ironkross
10-09-07, 07:49 PM
@ironkross It is created when the game is installed and modified later by RSM. I was afraid of that. And before I forget, thanks for taking the time to help. :up:

@ironkross What operating system are you using? (I only ask because Vista does some strange things with added files anywhere inside the Program Files folder) and if Vista where do you have the game installed?XP. I don't care to be a beta tester for M$.

@ironkross Do you know if you had one before you installed RSM? I really don't know; but if I have to reinstall I'll do that.

@ironkross Did you have any unexpected application closures (otherwise known as crashes:rotfl:) of RSM? No it never initialized.

@ironkross Are there any files in the blahblahblah\Data\Sound\Radio folder that look like radio.ini (e.g. radio.ini.old or radio.ini.new)?There are only four files, they are CBSnews,(from the CBS mod) Washington, noise.ogg, and radio config.

@ironkross When you start RSM do you get an error? If so, what error?Yes. Application error. Failed to initialize.

@ironkross Why am I asking all of these questions?Well it can't be out of sheer boredom or that you don't have a life outside of SH and Subsim so that just leaves 1 reason: you are a true member of the Subsim band of brothers and are taking time from a busy schedule to help a fellow sub-simmer in need. :rock:Correct?

@ironkross Is the moon really made of green cheese? "The seismic velocity of moon "rock" is much closer to cheese than any rock found on earth.
Seismic Velocities

Lunar________________Seismic Velocity (km/sec)
Basalt 10017.....................1.84
Basalt 10046.....................1.25
Near surface layer..............1.2

Terrestrial rocks_______Seismic Velocity (km/sec)

Granite...............................5.9
Gneiss................................4.9
Basalt.................................5.8
Sandstone...........................4.9
Marble................................6.02
Limestone...........................5.06-5.97

Cheese_______________Seismic Velocity (km/sec)

Sapsego (Swiss).................2.12
Romano (Italy)....................1.74
Cheddar (Vermont).............1.72
Muenster (Wisconsin)..........1.57" Googled the answer.:|\\

Isn't it amazing what you can find out just by asking?

@ironkross What is the square root of pi?1.77245385 (googled that one 2.)
@ironkross BTW there is no such thing as a stupid question unless you are referring to the unasked ones. Well stated! And I hope you got the answers you needed. Anyway back to topic, like I said I will reinstall SHIV if need be, hey- one question you didn't ask was What mods am I using? TM, ROW, NSM and the CBS radio mod. Hopefully we can get this working. Looks like a great mod and a nice addition to my in game experience. OK then, thanks again DT.
[EDIT] Holy crap! I just noticed it's been two days for my reply, I thought I just posted this last nite. Sorry for the delay then.

Digital_Trucker
10-09-07, 08:33 PM
I must say, that is the best response to my usual facetious questions I have ever seen. Well done:up: I especially liked the cheese response. As for the life outside of SH, I can't really say that I have a busy schedule, but I certainly don't mind helping out. No problem on the delay posting, it's good timing actually. It doesn't happen often, but I was one of those "early to bed, early to rise" folks and was out of the house all day so your post would have been sitting there waiting for an answer.

First off, I posted a radio.ini file at http://files.filefront.com/radiorar/;8759791;/fileinfo.html . If you download it, extract it and put it in your blahblahblah\Data\Sound\Radio folder you should be able to start RSM up without an application error. It will only have the Washington station defined in it, but you can set up your other station using RSM once it's in there. While we're on the subject of the radio.ini file, you mentioned that you have a radio config file? What is the exact file name of that file and what are it's contents?

Once you have the radio.ini file installed, your radio should function correctly and you should be able to add whatever radio stations you want . If that doesn't do the trick, post back and we'll see what else needs to be done.

ironkross
10-09-07, 11:09 PM
OK here's what was in the file. "[GENERAL]
RadioRealism=Yes
StartCh=1

[CHANNEL]
Name=CBS NEWS
Folder=CBS NEWS
Freq=30
Antenna=01.01.1930-01.01.2000:34.05,-118.22:100000
;MusicVolumeOnNews takes values from 0.01 to 1
MusicVolumeOnNews=0.01 "

Now this was just replaced by the file I just downloaded. It also shows as a config file just as the other one did.
Bad new is that RSM still gives me an error message of app fails to initialize.
Late here so I prob will not do anything else on my end for + or - 7 hrs. Thanks.
[EDIT] My state also has some pretty fine peaches. :D

Digital_Trucker
10-10-07, 09:54 AM
My state also has some pretty fine peaches. :D
As a matter of fact, your state should be named the Peach State since y'all produce more peaches than we do. I know the biggest peach I ever saw was this one (in your state) http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/digital_trucker/SCGAFpeach.jpg
I must have passed it a couple thousand times running up and down the east coast.

Anyway, back to the problem. Now I'm really confused, but I think I know why. You probably don't have your system set up to display file extensions for known extension types do you? The file you called the radio config file is indeed the radio.ini file, but if you don't display file extensions, then all you would see in windows explorer is radio and it would be listed as a config file. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. :oops:

OK, now that that's cleared up, the problem initializing the RSM may be the one question I forgot to ask before. Do you have .NET 2.0 installed on your system? If not, then that is why RSM is not starting. If you do have .NET 2.0 and RSM is still not starting, please post a screenshot of the error that you get when you attempt to start it.

ironkross
10-10-07, 09:22 PM
Yeah, that peach has been there for years.
No .NET 2.0 found on my computer, so I will google it and d/l then try again with RSM.
Thanks DT.
[EDIT] Hold on, what I found on M$ website is an exe file called dotnetfx, is this what I need?

Digital_Trucker
10-10-07, 10:25 PM
Yep, that's what they call the exe. As long as you are downloading it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en you should be good to go (sorry, I didn't think to get the link when I made the last post:oops: ).

That should get RSM running for you. If you have any more problems, just holler (real loud, it's a long way from Seneca to Winder :rotfl: ).

ironkross
10-10-07, 11:33 PM
Winder? I was there many years ago, but I guess it's changed a lot since. :hmm:
OK, d/l'd NET. 2.0 and installed, and voila! RSM has appeared. Now to find out how to use it. But it's freakin late now, better do that tomorrow AM.
Thanks DT for helping me sort thru that. Have a good one down there in Winder. :up:
[EDIT] This should remind any mod users (especially this one :oops: ) of the importance in reading the "Requirements" part of the mod's readme.
Windows XP/Vista?/2000? (not certain about Vista or 2000 and have no way of testing at the moment)
Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0

sqk7744
10-10-07, 11:55 PM
Very nice work Digital_Trucker:up::up::up::up: (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=233398)

Digital_Trucker
10-11-07, 07:36 AM
of not reading the readmes. Glad we could get it worked out, ironkross. Enjoy.

@sqk7744 Thank yee, sir.

Florida Sailor
10-11-07, 08:17 AM
I am a "older" guy and until I get the eyes worked on next month I will have my screen settings at 600 x 800. RSM seems to want them higher and so I have to change the settings in order to use it. Is there a way for me to alter RSM so that I can "see" all of it in 600 x 800 resolution?

Digital_Trucker
10-11-07, 09:08 AM
I can take a look and see if I can change something on this end to allow for lower resolution settings. I probably should have taken this into consideration to begin with, but I didn't think anyone would be running lower than 1024x768:oops: .

I'll get back to ya, Florida Sailor, as soon as possible on a fix for the problem.

Florida Sailor
10-11-07, 09:22 AM
It is only a short term problem, so if it's a big deal don't worry about it. The cataract fix is set for the first week in November. After that they tell me I will have 20/20 vision again. Cool huh?

Digital_Trucker
10-11-07, 10:48 AM
It is only a short term problem, so if it's a big deal don't worry about it. The cataract fix is set for the first week in November. After that they tell me I will have 20/20 vision again. Cool huh?

That's great! It's amazing what they can do nowadays. Making the program have a smaller "footprint" must not have been much of a problem, because I just uploaded a new version that is 780x600 :rotfl: . It's at http://files.filefront.com/RSM11rar/;8771919;/fileinfo.html

No real functional changes except the smaller "shoe size". I'm glad you brought it up because it should have entered my mind when developing it. As someone who deals with accesibility problems daily, I should think about these things when developing applications.

Holler back if you have any more problems with it. Happy hunting!

Florida Sailor
10-11-07, 11:08 AM
Thank you sir.
I downloaded and installed it.
Much easier to read.:D

Digital_Trucker
10-11-07, 11:41 AM
and please don't call me sir, I am (or was) an enlisted man:rotfl:

Sailor Steve
10-11-07, 04:43 PM
Ah, but now you hold the highest rank a gentleman can have - citizen.

You are a gentleman, aren't you?:stare:

Digital_Trucker
10-11-07, 04:52 PM
Ah, but now you hold the highest rank a gentleman can have - citizen.

You are a gentleman, aren't you?:stare:

Some folks think so, but most aren't too sure :rotfl:

Gato
12-11-07, 11:05 AM
Aloha,this seems like a great mod,but when I try to use it with CBS News I get the media file does not exist message.I select the station,press the apply changes button and get the above message.All the media files are displayed in correct order in the events window,so they ARE in there! I'm pretty confused(not an uncommon situation!) Ideas? Thanks

swdw
12-11-07, 11:28 AM
Start a career and save while in the office view- don't go out to sea yet. Then run RSM.

DT, please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems RSM needs to know what dates you're playing to get everything set up correctly. Since there are different career start dates, you have to have a career ready to go first for it to look at.

Digital_Trucker
12-11-07, 02:24 PM
Aloha,this seems like a great mod,but when I try to use it with CBS News I get the media file does not exist message.I select the station,press the apply changes button and get the above message.All the media files are displayed in correct order in the events window,so they ARE in there! I'm pretty confused(not an uncommon situation!) Ideas? Thanks

Slight misconception here. What shows in the window is the name of the media file that SHOULD be played at the event time. When a media file does not exist in the EXACT name that is listed in the window, the program will highlight it and redisplay the section of the events file that is in error (sometimes you have to scroll up one lor two lines to find the offending line, but you will see that it is selected for you. Then press the "Browse" button and you will be offered a list of the media files for the radio station. For the offending entry, you won't find the EXACT name of the media file anywhere in that list, but you may find the one that was originally intended to be played. If so, then select it like you would normally select a file and the program will change the data in the radio station events file to match the media file name and your error will be corrected.

When most of the radio station mods were created, there was no way to automatically check to make sure that the name of the file was correct. If a media file does not exist at the time and date that the event is supposed to occur, a CTD will occur (whether you are listening to that station or not). That is why my program checks to make sure that the exact file exists to be played.

Start a career and save while in the office view- don't go out to sea yet. Then run RSM.

DT, please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems RSM needs to know what dates you're playing to get everything set up correctly. Since there are different career start dates, you have to have a career ready to go first for it to look at.

There was (and possibly still is) a problem with the date of a saved game not being correctly recorded. When the radio station would start it's events, it would go back to the date that you last left port and replay all the events between the "port" date and the current in-game date. What I did with the prepare stations button was to accomplish a workaround for that problem. Every time you see a text message in-game (i.e. all stop, torpedo in the water, etc.) the time and date is recorded in one of the save game files. My program reads through that file to the end, determines the correct date/time for a saved game (as of the last message entry) and comments out all events prior to that date/time. In that way, the events don't get replayed. To be honest with you, I don't know of the incorrect save game date/time bug still exists or not. I believe it was supposed to be fixed in the 1.4 patch. If so, then this option isn't necessary any more. If the problem still exists, you only need to run the "prepare" function when you are getting ready to load a saved game that was in mid patrol, or if you are starting a new career.

Fish40
12-12-07, 09:58 PM
DT, I just want to say I enjoy useing your mod. It's great not to have to listen to the same news, over and over and over and over, well you get the picture. Great job:up:

AVGWarhawk
12-16-07, 10:05 AM
DT, trying to figure this out. So I start a career and save? Then go out of game and fire up the manager via the exe?

So far I can bring up the program and see the files, etc. Do I press prepare for game?

AVGWarhawk
12-16-07, 10:49 AM
I think I have it DT. Very clever program. Nice work:up:

Digital_Trucker
12-16-07, 04:46 PM
AVG, just to clarify, the only time you need to use the prepare button is if you are loading a game that was saved in mid patrol or when you start a new career.

DT, I just want to say I enjoy useing your mod. It's great not to have to listen to the same news, over and over and over and over, well you get the picture. Great job:up:

I'm glad you're enjoying it Fish40. I thought I had read somwhere in the change log for the 1.4 patch that this problem was solved in the patch, but evidently I read it wrong or it wasn't fixed. I, too, was pretty tired of listening to the same reports over and over.

Fish40
12-16-07, 05:40 PM
AVG, just to clarify, the only time you need to use the prepare button is if you are loading a game that was saved in mid patrol or when you start a new career.

I'm glad you're enjoying it Fish40. I thought I had read somwhere in the change log for the 1.4 patch that this problem was solved in the patch, but evidently I read it wrong or it wasn't fixed. I, too, was pretty tired of listening to the same reports over and over.

Couldn't say for sure if 1.4 fixed the repeating messages, since I haven't upgraded to 1.4 yet. Gonna wait for Dave to feel better and update ROW for 1.4. I'm in no rush, I can wait:yep:

AVGWarhawk
12-16-07, 05:44 PM

That part I did not know. Thanks. Great little program!

Renesisfury
12-23-07, 08:17 PM
Ok, I seem to be having some problems. I selected the save that I wanted this to apply to, hit prepare then loaded the game. However, I get nothing on channel 22 other than the looping clip that the game gives you. Any suggestions? I have the exe in the same folder as sh4.exe, and I have the shortcut in my desktop. SH patched to 1.4, with the new version on TM and RSRDC

ReallyDedPoet
12-23-07, 08:43 PM
Ok, I seem to be having some problems. I selected the save that I wanted this to apply to, hit prepare then loaded the game. However, I get nothing on channel 22 other than the looping clip that the game gives you. Any suggestions? I have the exe in the same folder as sh4.exe, and I have the shortcut in my desktop. SH patched to 1.4, with the new version on TM and RSRDC
If you are on 22 you should get some news updates, play long enough this should happen. By the way just to spice up that station I added some other media files
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=127109 :smug:
and deleted that annoying clip.

Edit: Here is a nice site: http://sh.xset.co.uk/

RDP

Renesisfury
12-23-07, 09:01 PM
If you are on 22 you should get some news updates, play long enough this should happen. By the way just to spice up that station I added some other media files

RDP
So how many times should I let that clip loop before expecting to hear something different?

Digital_Trucker
12-23-07, 09:06 PM
If you click on the station in question while in the RadioStationEditor, all the events for that station are displayed in the bottom window.

Renesisfury
12-23-07, 09:16 PM
If you click on the station in question while in the RadioStationEditor, all the events for that station are displayed in the bottom window.
It's the stock list for channel 22

Renesisfury
12-23-07, 10:11 PM
Well, I just let the game loop that stupid clip for 10 min, and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I installed the mod, and followed the directions, is there a folder I was supposed to create in the SH directory?

Digital_Trucker
12-23-07, 11:13 PM
It's the stock list for channel 22

Well, what I was trying to point out is that the date and time of the events for the station are listed in that window. You very well may not be at a point in time where an event is supposed to play. The news events can be scattered about quite a bit in time.

sqk7744
12-23-07, 11:16 PM
Awesome work DT!!! :up::up::up:

ReallyDedPoet
12-24-07, 12:33 PM

RDP So how many times should I let that clip loop before expecting to hear something different?

If you are on that station you should get some news updates as the game progresses ( ie bombing of Pearl Harbor, etc. ), as mentioned I deleted the looping clip as it is annoying, I replaced it with some Christmas stuff, that second link I posted has some good stuff in it as well.

RDP

fred8615
02-13-08, 12:45 PM
I think I may have found a bug. I'm using RSM 1.1 to create a Mutual Broadcasting System station. I started yesterday, and first encountered the problem then, but I wanted to wait and see if it would do it again fresh today. Here's what the event.ini looks like after I put in the July, 1942 programs and clicked "Apply changes" to save it:

[EVENT]
StartDate=29.06.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-06-29 lone ranger 1472 trouble at the canyon.mp3
;--------------------
;July 1942
;--------------------

[EVENT]
StartDate=01.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-01 lone ranger 1473 kidnapped.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=03.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-03 lone ranger 1474 surprise at sunrise .mp3
;42-07-06 lone ranger 1475 end of the iron spur.mp3
;42-07-08 lone ranger 1476 way of the transgressor.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=10.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-10 lone ranger 1477 barcley brothers' downfall.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=13.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-13 lone ranger 1478 high graders.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=15.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-15 lone ranger 1479 bread upon the waters.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=17.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-17 lone ranger 1480 one wide river.mp3
;42-07-20 lone ranger 1481 sorrel-jack outlaw horse.mp3
;42-07-22 lone ranger 1482 double in murder.mp3

[EVENT]
StartDate=24.07.1942
StartTime=19.30.00
MediaFile=42-07-24 lone ranger 1483 cattleman cash.mp3
;42-07-27 lone ranger 1484 homestead proved up.mp3
;42-07-31 lone ranger 1486 stagecoach to blue river.mp3

Please note I was very careful today typing in the date and time, and used the number pad, so it isn't a case of hitting a comma instead of a period. If I use RSM to fix the listing, taking out the "C" and redoing the date and time, it takes! From then on everything stays correct. It just seems to be randomly ignoring the date and time input the first time it's done. While I think I'm still going faster and easier using RSM this time, as opposed to doing it by hand like my previous statsions, it's still aggravating having to go back and redo these few.

And while I'm writing, RSM will not let you access sub-folders when creating a station. Like some of my other stations, this one is subdivided by year. But RSM wouldn't let me access or use files from the year sub-folders until I hand edited the radio.ini.

fred8615
02-13-08, 01:38 PM
I found a fix!!

Instead of clicking "Apply changes" after putting in a whole month's worth, for August I clicked it after each line. No messed up lines! :yep: :yep: :yep:

UPDATE: For September, I tried clicking after every two lines. Some of them messed up.

Digital_Trucker
02-13-08, 02:27 PM
Hey, Fred. Glad you found a fix for the first problem. Any way I could get a screeny of your entries that caused the problem? I don't recall running into that problem while testing. Were those inserted entries or ones added consecutively to the list? I'm assuming that those are all seperate events, not multiple media files for one event (RSM doesn't support multiple media files for one event).

I'd like to try to replicate the problem so that I can correct it, but I'll need a step by step listing of actions taken in order to do that. If you can put one together, feel free to email it to me and I'll see what I can determine.

As for the subfolders problem, I guess I need to add that to the limitations, too, since I never planned on subfolders being used :damn: . In fact, I wasn't even aware that subfolders could be used for events. I'll have to take a peek at changing that.

02-13-08, 06:07 PM
I can't run the darn thing! I get radio.ini file not found message. I believe I followed your directions, D/L'd, extracted to the mods folder, opened up the folder, extracted the exe file to the desktop and I get the introduction to the program but then the error message....:damn: Mind you I'm of eastern eurpeon descent and my mom is blonde......:lol: Thanks

Digital_Trucker
02-13-08, 06:52 PM
I can't run the darn thing! I get radio.ini file not found message. I believe I followed your directions, D/L'd, extracted to the mods folder, opened up the folder, extracted the exe file to the desktop and I get the introduction to the program but then the error message....:damn: Mind you I'm of eastern eurpeon descent and my mom is blonde......:lol: Thanks

My Mom is blonde, too, maybe we're related?:rotfl:

Actually, the exe file needs to be in the same folder as SH4.exe. Then you can create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Depending on how you extract the download, you will get a folder named RSM1.0 (or RSM1.1 depending on which version you downloaded) or you will get a folder named RadioStationManager and a documentation pdf. The folder that needs to go into your MODS folder is RadioStationManager. AFTER you activate RadioStationManager you can create a shortcut on your desktop to the RadioStationManager.exe file to run it with. That should eliminate the error.

02-13-08, 08:06 PM
Thanks, just made me feel more moronic than I thought I really was!

Holler at ya later because I'll probably have screwed something else up soon.

U of G will be unbeatable next year.

Digital_Trucker
02-13-08, 10:00 PM
Thanks, just made me feel more moronic than I thought I really was!

:hmm: Didn't mean to be a downer.

Holler at ya later because I'll probably have screwed something else up soon.

:rotfl: You should have seen how many things I screwed up writing the thing:p

U of G will be unbeatable next year.

Oops, I'm a Tech fan:know: :rotfl:

Seriously, I hope you get it working.

02-13-08, 11:13 PM
All is well, added the burns and gracie station we shall see. I did the "apply changes" it errored message twice one on Cpt Midnights CBS station and the burns and gracie show, something to the effect: no media found? I am waiting till Friday night to whip out SH4 because I've had to play SH3 because of few new mods that are just out of this world. Great work, thanks for the fast service and although I'm not a big of the SEC in general just seeing those two tailbacks the bulldogs have just make you shake your head. I'm not too familiar with the state itself and don't really know the "geographical" break down of U and Tech fans are, so my bad. I can't wait for Rich Rodriguez to shock an awe the alumni of M. Go BLUE!:rock:

Digital_Trucker
02-14-08, 09:09 AM
All is well, added the burns and gracie station we shall see. I did the "apply changes" it errored message twice one on Cpt Midnights CBS station and the burns and gracie show, something to the effect: no media found? I am waiting till Friday night to whip out SH4 because I've had to play SH3 because of few new mods that are just out of this world. Great work, thanks for the fast service and although I'm not a big of the SEC in general just seeing those two tailbacks the bulldogs have just make you shake your head. I'm not too familiar with the state itself and don't really know the "geographical" break down of U and Tech fans are, so my bad. I can't wait for Rich Rodriguez to shock an awe the alumni of M. Go BLUE!:rock:

Those errors that you get are because there are a couple of missing (or misnamed) media files in that mod. You can just comment those entries out or try to find the media files to match. I think there was a patch for that mod that corrected that problem, but it's been a long time since it came out. Any changes that you were in the process of making for that station will not be completed if those errors occur. Those errors will also cause a CTD when the date/time of the event is reached in game.

I'm not much of a college fan at all, but I went to Georgia Tech, so I have to give the UGA fans hell whenever I get the chance:rotfl: Tech and UGA are only 73 miles apart, so you'd have to look pretty close to tell what's where, and besides the entire state seems to be Bulldog country, so no worries in that respect.

Digital_Trucker
02-15-08, 12:13 PM
Thanks to Fred8615 for pointing out a problem with the "Add Event" function and for helping me diagnose it while he works on a new radio station.:up:

The bug is now squashed and a new version is available on the first page or here (http://files.filefront.com/RSM12rar/;9637284;/fileinfo.html). This application will only be available in the smaller footprint version from now on.

My apologies to any of the other Radio Station creators that this problem might have annoyed:oops:

fred8615
02-15-08, 01:08 PM
And a big thanks for fixing it, and for RSM in general!:rock: :rock: :rock:

Where was this when I was creating my first stations?:damn:

02-15-08, 05:01 PM
Hey DT, WTF am I doing wrong? :doh: Do I need to start a new career using your application because I've done everything you told me to, I did the prepare, it gave the OKAY and still, all the stations revert back to the beginning programs. If I hear the George Burns talk about dressing in drag in order to hitchhike back home, Ill have to up my meds again:()1: Thanks much in advance. Oh, I forgot it's 1.4 version w/RFB/ROW/RSRD are the base mods and a few of the eye candy ones. If you need the complete list just let me know.
And yes, I did d/l v 1.2 today, still no-joy.

Digital_Trucker
02-15-08, 07:34 PM
When you did the prepare function, did you actually click on the save file that you were about to load, or was it the hightlighted save and you clicked ok without actually clicking the button next to the save name?

For some reason (that I have yet to figure out), you have to actually click on the button to the left of the save that you are about to load before you click OK. The button will look like it's depressed after you click it and the little black arrow will display on the button. After you click on it, press the OK button and all should be well.

02-15-08, 09:40 PM
Dunno, I will check it out and play for a teency bit (I have a IJN task force a bit over 8,000 yards on my bow) and will get back to you. Thank you sergeant! :eek:

Did the trick thanks for the great mod, maybe if I would've re-re-reread the readme I wouldn't be taking up BW w/this....Thanks.

03-03-08, 11:49 PM
Good news! It appears your mod works for 1.5. I sent ya a pm about what I had to do get it working properly via a copy and paste method and the save folder error but that too was worked around. :rock:

DavyJonesFootlocker
03-04-08, 07:34 AM
Could you have it at Down Below site? Can't get it at File Front.

Digital_Trucker
03-04-08, 09:12 AM
Good news! It appears your mod works for 1.5. I sent ya a pm about what I had to do get it working properly via a copy and paste method and the save folder error but that too was worked around. :rock:

Thanks, 1480. I don't have the addon (yet), but will soon. From what I've seen of the file changes, it looks like the only possible hang-up would be in the save file that I use to prepare stations for a mid-patrol game reload. Barring any problems with that, everything else should work fine.

Could you have it at Down Below site? Can't get it at File Front.

Thanks to longam, it should be up there soon. Until then, try here (http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=457767) and see if you can get at that one.

03-04-08, 09:24 AM
Yeah, its no big deal, just had to start and save a patrol to get it to recognize the save file. I ASSume that it would work the same if you just set up the career, and exit the game from the captains office, since that gets written into the save game file. Just a thought...

Digital_Trucker
03-04-08, 09:32 AM
Yeah, its no big deal, just had to start and save a patrol to get it to recognize the save file. I ASSume that it would work the same if you just set up the career, and exit the game from the captains office, since that gets written into the save game file. Just a thought...

Wel, technically, until you start a career and do that, there would be no game save file (only a saved files folder, which is what you choose in RSM). Under the circumstances you specified above, there would no need to use a save file for the "prepare" function, anyway. The radio portion of the game handles the date just fine for new careers and "in-port" saves. It's just the mid patrol saves that have a problem with events replaying. For in-port saves, RSM does the same thing as if you selected "New career" when you did your "prepare".

Also, if you're running multiple installs, make sure you select the right save folder for the game you're about to play:lol:

mainexpress
06-09-08, 04:56 PM
Hi I just downloaded this mod to try it out,and im getting all the radio news events,on my patrol which is not right,since im in june of 1942.its kinda funny to hear the japanese surrender take place in 1942.Im using radio washington freq 22,and im doing exactly as it says to do in the radio manager instructions.i "click" on the left side to choose my station,then i go below and click "1942 news",then "apply changes".Then i click "prepare stations for game restart" to load the files,i choose My documents then SH4,after that i load my game save.I noticed in my SH4 folder/data/sound/radio/washington, theres the Radio_track.wav file and the events folder.this Radio_track.wav file is the one that keeps playing over and over,when i get into game.Im not getting the news reports:hmm: I must be doing something wrong here?If i put all the news files from the events folder into the washington folder,it will work,but im getting the wrong news reports at the incorrect time frame.or all those .ogg files are just playing one after the other.If someone could help me get this corrected that would be great.

fred8615
06-09-08, 05:22 PM
Your first problem sounds like either you originally had your news in the Washington folder, not the Events folder inside it, or you put the Japanese surrender in both the wrong place and used the wrong date in the events.ini file. Because of the way events.ini is used, those are the only ways it would have done what you said.

As for not hearing anything now, it's possible there's just no news for the time you're playing. Events are set up to only play at certain times and certain dates via events.ini. And if the file isn't set up in events.ini, it won't play at all even if it's in the Events folder. You have to edit the events.ini, which is what RSM does, and put in the date and time the file is supposed to play. Putting them in the Washington folder just causes them to play randomly. That's why you use the Events folder and events.ini for that type of programing.

The looping radio track is because you don't have any other files in the Washington folder. You need to delete/move that track, and add other music files there. You can check the link in my sig for period music, or use you own. It just has to be in .mp3, .wav, and/or .ogg format.

mainexpress
06-09-08, 05:34 PM
Your first problem sounds like either you originally had your news in the Washington folder, not the Events folder inside it, or you put the Japanese surrender in both the wrong place and used the wrong date in the events.ini file. Because of the way events.ini is used, those are the only ways it would have done what you said.

As for not hearing anything now, it's possible there's just no news for the time you're playing. Events are set up to only play at certain times and certain dates via events.ini. And if the file isn't set up in events.ini, it won't play at all even if it's in the Events folder. You have to edit the events.ini, which is what RSM does, and put in the date and time the file is supposed to play. Putting them in the Washington folder just causes them to play randomly. That's why you use the Events folder and events.ini for that type of programing.

The looping radio track is because you don't have any other files in the Washington folder. You need to delete/move that track, and add other music files there. You can check the link in my sig for period music, or use you own. It just has to be in .mp3, .wav, and/or .ogg format.Thanks for the quick reply fred,should i leave those news event files alone in the events folder?,and not move them like i did into the washington folder?

fred8615
06-10-08, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply fred,should i leave those news event files alone in the events folder?,and not move them like i did into the washington folder?
Yes, especially if you left the events.ini in the Events folder. If it tries to call for a file that isn't there, the game crashes. Even if you're not listening to the radio.

Lynx2069
06-26-08, 08:26 PM

That was my problem too :rock:

Thanks!

mainexpress
07-01-08, 09:36 AM
Hi i finally built my new machine,so i had to re-install SH4 and all my favorite mods i use when i try to activate the radio icon for radiostation manager i get an error message saying-The application failed to initialize properly{0xc0000135}.Click on OK to terminate the application.I was wondering how i can fix this?

Digital_Trucker
07-01-08, 03:31 PM
What operating system are you running? And what .NET framework do you have installed? Either way, you must have .NET 2.0 or greater installed for the application to work.

LiveGoat
01-15-09, 08:46 AM
Never mind. God almighty, all I had to do was go into the root save folder! With that, I'm having coffee and going to work. Disregard this rambling nonesense.

Digital_Trucker
01-15-09, 10:34 AM
Never mind. God almighty, all I had to do was go into the root save folder! With that, I'm having coffee and going to work. Disregard this rambling nonesense.
Guess I didn't get up early enough this morning:D Glad you got it sorted out.:up:

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 03:17 PM
I cannot find the .ini file that is or was on file front. does anyone know where I can get ahold of the RADIO STATION MANAGER INI File.

Thanks,

Mike

IRISH4Life
02-15-10, 03:49 PM
I went looking thru the sim and found a .ini file but dont know if that is what I need or where it is supposed to go. Please help when you get a chance. The .ini file that is supposed to be downloaded from filefront is not there.

When I click on the Radiomanager.exe file I end up with the title screen to the application opening and then I get that box that says that the .ini file not found.

Thanks.

IRISH4life

IRISH4Life
02-16-10, 02:07 PM
Like I said I found an ini file in the sound folder but I don't know what to do with it. Don't know if its for the game or the radio manager and don't want to mess with it for fear of perfect install "ruination". Thanks,

IRISH4life

bogaty
02-16-10, 11:38 PM
I can't seem to get the station manager to recognize my savegames. I point to the savegame folder in user/documents/sh4/data/cfg/savegames but it doesn't like any of the save folders I try to select from there.

BillBam
03-20-10, 09:22 AM
Like I said I found an ini file in the sound folder but I don't know what to do with it. Don't know if its for the game or the radio manager and don't want to mess with it for fear of perfect install "ruination". Thanks,

IRISH4life

Running Win7 and I am getting the same radio.ini file not found. Any one have any solutions?

DennyC
04-14-10, 11:10 PM
When trying to open Radiostationmanager 1.2, it always produces the error message: "The application failed to initialize properly."

The RadioStationManager is in my Mods folder. I enabled it with JSGME, and now have RadioStationManager.exe in my SHWP folder along with the game files and SH4.exe. Tried a fresh download, same result.

LooseEnd
06-13-10, 01:43 AM
"radio.ini file not found" :hmmm:

I don't understand. I'm using JSGME. Can someone explain how to make this work? I've read through this entire thread (quickly) and all I can see is that a lot of others are having this problem.

Thank you.

Scottb8411
06-13-10, 10:13 AM
"radio.ini file not found" :hmmm:

I don't understand. I'm using JSGME. Can someone explain how to make this work? I've read through this entire thread (quickly) and all I can see is that a lot of others are having this problem.

Thank you.

Place the executable (RadioStationManager.exe) in the same folder as sh4.exe (just like JSGME). Sometimes JSGME will install into a FOLDER called RadioStationManager with the RadioStationManager.exe inside of the FOLDER. Please doublecheck your directory structure.

LooseEnd
06-15-10, 01:25 AM
Thanks Scott! That was easy enough. :)

I've got two extra stations up and running so far! When I'm using the radio in game though, the 'next station' and 'previous station' functions do not automatically stop on the frequencies. Any quick fix for this?

Thanks again!

fred8615
06-15-10, 08:01 AM
Copy and paste what's in your radio.ini so we can see it. It could be a couple of things.

Heinz Von Hennig
06-18-10, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, for some reason it wont download for me ? I get an error saying im not logged in, Then I tryed the other link wrong site ?
Ideas or can some one repost for me pleas ?
Cheers

Roger Dodger
05-21-12, 04:28 PM
Wel, technically, until you start a career and do that, there would be no game save file (only a saved files folder, which is what you choose in RSM). Under the circumstances you specified above, there would no need to use a save file for the "prepare" function, anyway. The radio portion of the game handles the date just fine for new careers and "in-port" saves. It's just the mid patrol saves that have a problem with events replaying. For in-port saves, RSM does the same thing as if you selected "New career" when you did your "prepare".

I hope you're still around - its been quite awhile since the last posting on RadioStationManager. I used your mod way back from v1.0, and liked it alot. I have to start a 'New Career' since I just upgraded to TMO2.5 . I'll be adding a couple of stations as I'm getting tired of listening to the default music loop between the News broadcasts on the Washington station. Much more fun to listen to Inner Sanctum or The Shadow during some of the 'endless' patrols, like 'as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean'.

I will be using a SaveGame from my current mid-patrol before starting a New Career for testing. If all goes well, I plan to delete the My Documents\SH4 folder to eliminate any residual info since TMO makes significant changes to the NSS_Gato.ups file that is not picked up in the saved games.

One of my new stations will be 'Radio Mystery Theater'. The Events sub-folder contains programs like 'Inner Sanctum', 'The Shadow', etc., enough 30 minute programs to change weekly on the 1st, 7th, 15th and 22nd at about 18:00. Configuring the events.ini file for the gamesave should remark out all events occurring before the save date, and start playing for the correct time/date.

When finished playing the 30 minute program, will I only receive static, default music, nothing at all, or get a re-play until the next date on that station?

After I delete the 'My Documents\SH4' folder, should I re-configure all the stations to the 'New Career' status?

Answers will be helpful, but I will understand if you are no longer around.

Good Hunting

shortpeople
08-10-19, 12:39 PM
I recently moved my entire games directory from one drive to another and back again (to do a format of the drive)

I don't know if that move is directly related to this issue or not, but now I'm having trouble getting RSM "Prepare Stations for Game Restart" feature to work.

When I navigate to the SH4 directory in my Documents, I get this message... "
"The folder you selected is not an SH4 save files folder or there is a problem with the folder layout". The SH4 directory in My Documents should not have changed in any way when I moved my Games directory around... it is on a separate hard drive.

any ideas?

Salute!
ShortPeople

propbeanie
08-10-19, 02:14 PM
Is the partition lettering and size of the drive with the game, the same as what it was when you moved the game out, and then back in? :salute:

shortpeople
08-10-19, 07:03 PM
Is the partition lettering and size of the drive with the game, the same as what it was when you moved the game out, and then back in? :salute:

yeah, it was just a quick format to get rid of all directories other than my games directory.

propbeanie
08-10-19, 09:21 PM
Oh well, just an idea that the save data might be expecting a different drive letter calling... Something isn't matching-up for the game now... :salute:

shortpeople
08-25-19, 11:13 AM
I ended up uninstalling sH4 and reinstalling. and deleted my SH4 folder in my documents folder.

now, with new careers, RSM is able to find the save game directory.

Havan_IronOak
06-17-20, 01:34 AM
Just installed this and followed the instructions in the PDF exactly.

The RadioStationManager.exe file was placed in a folder called RadioStationManager in my game directory and when executed couldn't find the Radio.ini

Moved the RadioStationManager.exe file directly into the game folder and it worked like a charm.

I'd suggest that you either change the install instructions, or better yet, move the RadioStationManager.exe file out of the RadioStationManager. It's already in a directory called RSM 1.2 and that's what's shown in JSGME

Mad Mardigan
04-09-21, 03:52 PM
See this thread has been pretty much quiet for some time.. but...

Is hoped that someone else has run into this & knows of a solution to it.

Have SH4 properly set up, & have it modded, game save folder set up with multi SH4, SH4.exe set up as admin, read only unchecked, all the stuff to have done, is that... done.

Started off on a career & added in RSM, latest version which is v1.2 (per post#1.)...

Started off a career, from the beginning, & am into mid to late '43, & for some odd reason, RSM refuses to do preparing the stations for date it is.. according to the save folder.

Every time I go to try to have it make sure the radio is up to date for events... I keep having it swear that I am NOT pointing it at a SH4 game save folder or... swearing that the layout of the game saves has been altered.

:timeout: :o :doh: :06: :hmmm:

For 1, the folder I am selecting is an SH4 game save folder, it is the 1 that I set up using multi SH4 to set up, for the mod set SH4 flavor I am running.
( - FotRS-U-EN (v1.39) + Nippon Maru (beta v1.0) - )

2. Have NOT tampered with, altered or done ANY alterations to that folder or any part of it... at all.. so not a clue as to why it is saying that it may have been done, when it hasn't been messed with in any way.

So... am posting, in the hopes that someone MIGHT have a clue as for what to do, to get it working back, as it should be... hopefully...

Short of doing a scorched earth approach & crap can My career...

Which, sadly.. I will do, but only as a last ditch remedy... :yep:

M. M. signing off...

:Kaleun_Salute:

garytwinem
02-25-23, 12:09 PM
See this thread has been pretty much quiet for some time.. but...

Is hoped that someone else has run into this & knows of a solution to it.

Have SH4 properly set up, & have it modded, game save folder set up with multi SH4, SH4.exe set up as admin, read only unchecked, all the stuff to have done, is that... done.

Started off on a career & added in RSM, latest version which is v1.2 (per post#1.)...

Started off a career, from the beginning, & am into mid to late '43, & for some odd reason, RSM refuses to do preparing the stations for date it is.. according to the save folder.

Every time I go to try to have it make sure the radio is up to date for events... I keep having it swear that I am NOT pointing it at a SH4 game save folder or... swearing that the layout of the game saves has been altered.

For 1, the folder I am selecting is an SH4 game save folder, it is the 1 that I set up using multi SH4 to set up, for the mod set SH4 flavor I am running.
( - FotRS-U-EN (v1.39) + Nippon Maru (beta v1.0) - )

2. Have NOT tampered with, altered or done ANY alterations to that folder or any part of it... at all.. so not a clue as to why it is saying that it may have been done, when it hasn't been messed with in any way.

So... am posting, in the hopes that someone MIGHT have a clue as for what to do, to get it working back, as it should be... hopefully...

Short of doing a scorched earth approach & crap can My career...

Which, sadly.. I will do, but only as a last ditch remedy... :yep:

M. M. signing off...

:Kaleun_Salute:

I have this problem as well; apparently C:\Users\Gary\Documents\SH4 is not a SH4 save files folder or there is a problem with the folder layout lol
Edit: The problem was that the program didn't recognize "Documents" as a documents folder. Changing it to "My Documents" got the program working.

propbeanie
02-26-23, 11:17 AM
Maxwell Smart: "Ah yes, the old imbedded hard-coded "My Documents" line in the executable trick... Gets them every time". So Windows let you change the "Documents" folder to "My Documents" without issue?