PDA

View Full Version : Keel Rudder Torpedo Hit

Genghis Khan
07-04-07, 04:47 AM
Hello all Kaleuns :)

I have got a little question here.Yesterday my Type VIIB U-47 torpedoed a zig zagging British tramp steamer west of Orkneys.Wonderfully,I achieved two torpedo hits into the keel rudder of a steamer,all in a row.Steamer sunk.

It's has always been quite difficult for me to hit a keel rudder of any ship.Usually,torpedo bumps into the rudder and goes away without detonation,no matter what kind of pistol and route depth is set.I was very amazed this time.:o

So,what was that - a hit into the vulnerable spot of the keel rudder or just an accident?I am confused.Have anybody seen anything like that?

I would be glad to read all your observations.

Good Hunting :D :up:

Brag
07-04-07, 06:35 AM
I've had good success with keel shots even early in the war, as long as the torpedo travels diagonally. If I shoot from ahead, the torpedo will explode toward the aft section of the shipcausing damage to engine room and rudder (I believe) with catastrophic effect.

Perpendicular shots, often will explode on the opposite side of target without causing serious damage. I set magnetic shots to run 1.5 meters below the ship's keel.

Hope this helps ;)

Canovaro
07-04-07, 06:41 AM
I use magnetics when the wind speed is 7 kts or less.
Set them at 1.1 meter below, with devastating results! :smug:

Since I use GWX I tend to use impact torpedoes more, because I always use impacts at convoys (In GWX there are more convoys).

Paajtor
07-04-07, 11:18 AM
I use magnetics when the wind speed is 7 kts or less.
Set them at 1.1 meter below, with devastating results! :smug:

Same here....always aiming at the screw(-s), using magnetics.
In that case, either the propulsion, or the rudder (or both!) will be damaged...enough if you're low on torpedoes.

MENTAT
07-05-07, 02:39 AM
Doesnt magnetic set torpedoes, run deeper near target? so why we need to set it below keel?

Hadrys
07-05-07, 03:02 AM
Doesnt magnetic set torpedoes, run deeper near target? so why we need to set it below keel?

I was wondering bout that too. When shooting along keel but not exactly under it the torp should explode or even explodes (can't remember) as there is loads of steel above it. But when shooting at 60-90° it will bounce. Wired.

On my last patrol I've used impact as it was heavy sea. This time as I was targeting only biggest fishes I've left default depth setting and sunk 160m Whale? ship with one hit under the bridge in the middle, modern tanker with my standard stern one top kill, 2 liberty required 2 torps each as those were not my best shots. 35 000 from one convoy in realtime play. Head home as we were one month at sea.

Conclusion? I'll use impacts now, less work with figuring depth and waves height as in recon manual there are 2 keel depths for instance...

SmokinTep
07-05-07, 05:26 AM
I tend to use impacts more than magnetic. Most of the time the weather dictates this. I've had to many magnetics explode before reaching the target (in rough weather).

danurve
07-05-07, 08:12 AM
I tend to use impacts more than magnetic. Most of the time the weather dictates this. I've had to many magnetics explode before reaching the target (in rough weather).

Weather & magnetic pistols, what a great idea :stare:
Same situation has caused loud distorted expressive use of the English language.

Von Manteuffel
07-05-07, 04:42 PM
Canovaro has it right. Weather can play havoc with magnetic triggers. In rough seas I use only impact triggers, but that's very limiting since the failure rate when fired at an angle ( i.e. not at 90 degrees plus, or minus 10 deg to the target's keel ) is very high.

So I use impacts for slap-on beam-shots and magnetics for all others, especially attacks at an angle.

Brag
07-05-07, 07:01 PM
Don't be too shy about magnetic torpedoes in rough weather. Here are the results of a good magnetic shot from 700 meters.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/Braguine/fsscr681.jpg