PDA

View Full Version : Idea to use doctrine scripts to create sophisticated missions

Hawk66
06-17-07, 09:17 AM
Hi,

I've experimented a little with the platform doctrines. I think that there is the possibility to use them as a kind of 'script' language to enhance mission design/editor.

As an example I've realized an AEW patrol, which moves with the CVBG. Other examples would be
- ASW Screen platforms use real Drift&Sprint tactics with random patterns
- More random/dynamic events, which you cannot design within the mission editor
- AI uses its (active) sensors in a more intelligent way. Within the mission editor you don't have the possibility to switch on/off sensors in a reasonable way.
- Improve the AI in general for a particular mission, especially true for air platforms

The drawbacks are:

- you have to do some workarounds to accomplish these issues. For example you have to use a 'dummy' platform, which is used as a marker to realize the described AEW patrol.
You could create reusable templates which would enable mission creators to include them in their 'scripts' and there would not be the need, to 'reinvent the wheel'.
- further there is no integration between the platform doctrines and the 'mission/game' engine, because it was not designed for that purpose. You can make use of dummy objects/platforms as a kind of interface between the doctrines and the mission editor – similar to the usage of dummy platforms to have a random generator in the mission editor

A further pain point is, that there is no way to call a specific platform doctrine within the mission editor (correct me, if that's wrong). So you need a tool, which backups the original doctrine files and overrides it with the mission specific doctrine files. The creation of such a tool is an effort but I think it is not that tough.

Conclusion: The platform doctrines are not a replacement for a real SDK/script language. But I think further DW missions could be more sophisticated by using them.

What do you think?