PDA

View Full Version : Anyone save the Buffalo in the Race of the Cripples mission?

LoBlo
05-28-07, 07:21 AM
Has anyone been able to get the Buffalo to safety without cheating and without cowboy tatics (like popping up to the surface with SAMs:88) )?

I can get the Springfield through pretty easily, but can never get the Buffalo through to safety. An ASW aircraft always does her in when she crosses a sonabuoy field.

I almost did it the other day, but cheated a little because I modded a sub-launched AIM-9x into my loadout and blasted the helo when it came close... which is interesting, but not exactly a legit tatic... maybe...

Anyone done it the right (hard) way?

Terror_666
09-17-08, 06:24 AM
What I did was take out the surface ships ensuring the would be no ASW helo overhead. After that you have to worry about are the subs. The real problem are the ASW planes that circle overhead dropping depth-charges, all you can really do is hope the don't hit too often.
But I made it AFTER TWELVE #$%^&* TRIES :damn::damn::damn:

bottomcrawler
01-19-14, 03:55 PM
Old thread, I know...

I just tried this mission tonight, and the Buffalo, supposedly crippled to a max speed of 7 kts, got a torp dropped on it and started screaming away to the south at 30+ kts. The torpedo never caught it and expired. And after a while Buffalo stopped. Checking truth, I found that it had 0 % damage, but was stuck on the bottom, upside down. That made it impossible to complete the mission.

I'll try the mission again, but it kinda sucked to realise that after a couple of hours of real time...

Overkill
04-28-14, 11:45 AM
It's been a loooooooooooong time since I last read Red Storm Rising but, if I remember correctly the Buffalo only had damage to her sail and forward planes. She could still go faster than 7 kts but the damage radiated too much noise at higher speeds.

As for the inverted, mud dive'n... that one has me stumped. :06: