PDA

View Full Version : Johann from Das Boot

Radtgaeb
05-25-07, 12:07 AM
So, I was watching "Das Boot" again the other day, and during the scenes with Irwin Leder playing Johann, I kept thinking "God, I know this guy, where have I seen him."

Then a few days later, I'm sitting in physics class and I realize that he's a dead ringer for my physics instructor. Totally random, but thought I'd share.

AntEater
05-25-07, 08:57 AM
Erwin Leder is a regular in german TV series, mostly playing tramps or alcoholics...
But he did play a vampire in "Underworld" according to IMDB. I didnt notice anyone except Kate Beckinsdale in that movie so I must have missed him...

Chock
05-25-07, 09:32 AM
The scene where Johann snaps in Das Boot is one of the great bits of character exposition in the movie for me, and not just for the character Johann either...

Johann does what everyone else is clearly close to doing, but everyone else is held back from doing so by the collective support of their shipmates. Johann, in isolation at the stern of the sub, doesn't have this steadying collective support, and so is the first to give in to his fear. In that situation the Captain - another character who is somewhat isolated by the fact that he is alone in command - is offered a release from the same feelings by directing his fear into the act of getting his pistol and at least being offered the possibility of doing something - anything - to distract him in what must have been a terrifying situation in real life. It's a very telling moment for Jurgen Prochnow's character, who is typically restrained and calm throughout the rest of the movie.

One of the great moments in a great film. When you watch that, it just points up what a suck-ass pile of crap U-571 is in comparison.

I'd be interested to know what others think is the 'best bit' of Das Boot.

:D Chock

Iron Budokan
05-25-07, 06:42 PM
I like the convoy attack best. Eh, I'm easy to please....:cool:

Radtgaeb
05-26-07, 11:15 PM
As depressin as it is, I liked the last scene. No, not because of the explosions.

Because U96 was in itself a character in that film. You're saying to yourself "uhh, Radtgaeb, it was a boat!". Yeah, but one will find that authors and directors like to take inanimate things and turn them into characters (The truck in "Grapes of Wrath"...the cities of New York and Chicago in "Sister Carrie") this is a form of that which we like to call 'personification'.

Anyway, U96 was a character (a dynamic character at that--situation FUBAR to surviving, bluntly) and the men grew attached to it, cared for it, loved it even. They spent days to fix it while on the bottom and God knows how many weeks limping home, probably. The well being of the ship meant their own well being. Then, after they have made their way home and are getting the heroes welcome, the planes swoop out of nowhere and destroy that which they fought so hard to preserve. The most moving scene I've ever seen in any movie (save "Schindler's List) is at the end where the captain is staring at the ship as she sinks; and as she settles on the bottom, he dies as well.

So that's may favorite scene! :know:

Lagger123987
05-27-07, 12:25 AM
What Das Boot mean in Gibberish?

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
05-27-07, 01:13 AM

you moron :shifty:

Radtgaeb
05-27-07, 08:46 AM

Ban him for his blasphemy! :down:

Lagger123987
05-27-07, 08:48 AM

Ban him for his blasphemy! :down:

Who?

Radtgaeb
05-27-07, 08:50 AM
You, if you honestly don't know what Das Boot means/is.

Oberon
05-27-07, 09:21 AM
http://www.intellectualpoison.com/Pics/troll.jpg

Dowly
05-27-07, 10:32 AM
As depressin as it is, I liked the last scene. No, not because of the explosions.

Because U96 was in itself a character in that film. You're saying to yourself "uhh, Radtgaeb, it was a boat!". Yeah, but one will find that authors and directors like to take inanimate things and turn them into characters (The truck in "Grapes of Wrath"...the cities of New York and Chicago in "Sister Carrie") this is a form of that which we like to call 'personification'.

Anyway, U96 was a character (a dynamic character at that--situation FUBAR to surviving, bluntly) and the men grew attached to it, cared for it, loved it even. They spent days to fix it while on the bottom and God knows how many weeks limping home, probably. The well being of the ship meant their own well being. Then, after they have made their way home and are getting the heroes welcome, the planes swoop out of nowhere and destroy that which they fought so hard to preserve. The most moving scene I've ever seen in any movie (save "Schindler's List) is at the end where the captain is staring at the ship as she sinks; and as she settles on the bottom, he dies as well.

So that's may favorite scene! :know:
My fav scene too. :up: It wouldnt be Das Boot without that scene.

Lagger123987
05-27-07, 10:57 AM

DAS BOOT MEAN THATS BOOT.

Jimbuna
05-27-07, 12:35 PM
Hey, give it a rest, your on just about every thread without adding anything of any sense or value. You got my OE feeling sick and overworked :nope:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6646/spambigzd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

bigboywooly
05-27-07, 12:37 PM

DAS BOOT MEAN THATS BOOT.

THE boat :roll:

TheBrauerHour
05-28-07, 09:58 PM
I totally agree about the boat being a central character in the movie. The captain has a relationship with the boat all through the movie. The way he stares at the boat when it is creeking at extreme depth, almost pleading with it to hold on. This is a way of looking at the movie that I myself enjoy, because it does indeed make that last scene so powerful. When the Captain watches the UBoot sink as he is dying, it becomes certain that their lives were tied together.

Definitely that ending was the perfect way to end it. :yep:

Kaleu. Jochen Mohr
05-28-07, 10:47 PM
I totally agree about the boat being a central character in the movie. The captain has a relationship with the boat all through the movie. The way he stares at the boat when it is creeking at extreme depth, almost pleading with it to hold on. This is a way of looking at the movie that I myself enjoy, because it does indeed make that last scene so powerful. When the Captain watches the UBoot sink as he is dying, it becomes certain that their lives were tied together.

Definitely that ending was the perfect way to end it. :yep:

just like me and my U-124... she sank in stock SH3... felt like i died to...

now im in use of U-124 again and im as happy as hell... raiding harbours