PDA

View Full Version : #7 tube blown?? Quirk maybe?

Elder-Pirate
05-09-07, 07:04 PM
Somewhere in the Solomon Islands I got a refit ( Cow?---striped anchor anyway ). Just before I left I checked my load and noticed #7 tube not filled, I tried several times to push a torp in the tube with my cursor ( second pic about 20 hours later after I sunk two merchants ) and it would not go.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Wherestorp.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Torpwontgo.jpg

My rear torpedo room was in top shape as were the men in it and they were not on "Silent Running", nothing in 'Damage Management' ( Y key ) showed any problems with anything let alone the torp rooms. But no matter what I tried I could not put a torp in the tube. Maybe the tube was damaged somehow but I do not recall a message nor did I hear any one holler about it. I do not think this is a bug ( but I do wish I was warned :roll: ) as through out this sim I'm finding a lot of what could be quirks may have really happened to the Sub Skippers in real life. I like many have thought bad thoughts about the SH4 Devs once in awhile but DARN they are good at some of the unusual so called 'quirks' that they throw in the Sim once in awhile. :up: It does keep you on your toes.

Has anyone had this "empty tube" headache happen to them.

P.S. On second thought you would think that if the tube was damaged it should have been fixed at the time of 'refit' but then again maybe the facilities could not repair the tube?
Way to go Devs,you have me pulling my hair out ( whats left of it :lol: ).

peewee
05-09-07, 08:19 PM
maybe you opened the tube door at some point and it never closed? If you look behind and under the sub, you'll probably find a mountain of unused torps (just kidding on the last part :-) )

Elder-Pirate
05-09-07, 08:28 PM
maybe you opened the tube door at some point and it never closed? If you look behind and under the sub, you'll probably find a mountain of unused torps (just kidding on the last part :-) )

There you go, now thats a possible quirk of the door not closing that probably more than once happened in real life on the Subs. I still think the SH4 Devs did that on purpose. :hmm: Real sneaky. :lol:

I allready looked under the guys bunks and none stashed there.:hmm: Guess I could look in the can. :lol:

ATR-42
05-09-07, 08:47 PM
Elder,
i just ran into this. no matter what i did i couldnt get the tube to reload. i even dove to 300 feet to "force the door shut"... still no reload. i chalked it up to a bug. UNTIL....

I just made some modifications to my commands file, i added a line "control Q" to "close torpedo door". when loading the saved game with the stuck tube, i even noted that after a DEEP dive the door still visually appeared open from external cam view. When i added the command line to shut the door, i was able to command the door shut, and in about 2 minutes, whola, they started loading the tube...

peewee
05-09-07, 10:07 PM
so it IS the door staying open.............blimey, now I feel special, do I get a promotion out of this? A generous round of applause? a chorus of raspberries?............sigh (probably the last one methinks)

Old Dog
05-09-07, 11:01 PM
I don't think that they give promotions or awards for opening the inner tube door when the outer tube door is already open.
If they do, most of them are probably posthumous.

Really though, there should absolutely been some kind of alert to the skipper about the damage to the outer door.

"Never say never", but somebody should have noticed the problem with the outer door not being closed.

My condolences to your widow.

Old Dog

peewee
05-10-07, 09:12 AM
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

AVGWarhawk
05-10-07, 09:16 AM
I refit once and they gave me like 8 torpedoes. I said no sir, I hit the refit key again and I got like 5 more. I said, no sir, I want a full load. I hit refit again. Bang, sub full of torps. I recommend making sure all tubes full before you leave port. Keep hitting refit until happy.

Julius Caesar
05-10-07, 09:39 AM
yes. War time can be cruel: first they start rationing the torpeodes.. next thing is coffee and rum! :()1:

peewee
05-10-07, 09:55 AM
and women

Elder-Pirate
05-10-07, 10:49 AM
I notice on the SH4 reference card the Q key is thus.......Open/Close Tube......Now that tells me tube doors can be manually opened and manually closed because of the / separating the words. In SH4 this is not so ( unless you put in an extra command as ATR-42 did in his above post ) as I noticed in a staged torpedo firing ( pics below ) that a tube door always closes within one or two seconds after torp is fired. On my Tambor Class USS Tuna #7 tube door is stuck open and will not auto close, and if written that way in Sim I can relate to very much but in real life a skipper would have been notified about it by the torpedo data or possibility by the crew ( I'm a DD guy in real life and I'm still learning the Sub lingo :) ). I just may have been notified in this pic as it says when I clicked to fire # 7 tube....CE: No torpedoes available for tube #7, sir!......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/tubedoor7broke.jpg

But that statement isn't telling me that the tube door is broke, really all it means is there is no torps left in aft torpedo reserves. :huh:

Here it shows nothing wrong at all with Tube #7 ( hope I'm not leaning to a bug here :hmm: )

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Yboardshowsnothing.jpg

Here it shows #9 opening up and #7 still is open, should have closed before #9 opened.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/9ok7broke.jpg

Please excuse the white border above pic as I use 'PhotoImpression' and I slipped and started to move pic out of its frame. :oops:

Now torpedo is fireing out of #9 tube while tube #7 is still open.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/7bad9good.jpg

ATR-42 please explain just where it is that you changed the command to both open & shut the tube doors. :) If I do change the command then what may it upset in SH4 because the Devs allready have it set up for automatically. Still I think for some reason that this was caused on purpose by the Devs as maybe some sort of malfunction that really did happen.......maybe.:hmm:

OK I can live with the above and maybe when I get back to Perth it will finally fix it, think that's what I'll do is wait and see what happens at Perth. I'll probably get blamed and put on a desk job.:rotfl:

Maybe I ought to change my user name to confused.:damn:

Elder-Pirate
05-10-07, 10:51 AM
I refit once and they gave me like 8 torpedoes. I said no sir, I hit the refit key again and I got like 5 more. I said, no sir, I want a full load. I hit refit again. Bang, sub full of torps. I recommend making sure all tubes full before you leave port. Keep hitting refit until happy.

Been there,done that,did not work as thats when I noticed tube door stuck open.

Julius Caesar
05-10-07, 12:51 PM
ATR-42 please explain just where it is that you changed the command to both open & shut the tube doors. :) :damn:

edit commands.cfg

[Cmd311]
Name=Close_sel_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x51,c,"Ctrl+Q"

now you will be able to close selected tube with ctrl+Q

Elder-Pirate
05-10-07, 03:42 PM
ATR-42 please explain just where it is that you changed the command to both open & shut the tube doors. :) :damn:

edit commands.cfg

[Cmd311]
Name=Close_sel_torpedo_tube
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x51,c,"Ctrl+Q"

now you will be able to close selected tube with ctrl+Q

Thanks and I probably will use this but not untill I prove it may be deliberty done by the devs as a faulty device that may have happened ( probably did ) in real life. Will know for sure when I get back to Perth which is now home base. If or if not fixed on return to Perth I will post the results. Right now though I'm still trying to finish up this four month long patrol ( game time ) as I keep getting distracted. :lol:

Fearless
06-26-07, 01:44 AM
Had that problem also. I had no torps left and the when I hit the refit, only the storage racks got filled up but when I moved of of the torps to the tube, it automatically filled the remaining empty tubes up also. I then hit refit again to fill up the racks the second time. After that full loadout.

switch.dota
06-26-07, 08:22 AM
Regarding refitting: it seems Refit only replenishes torpedo RESERVES, not the torpedoes in the tubes. So if you coem to a port/tender with empty tubes, make sure you reaload your tubes after the first refit then refit again to have a full torp load.

I've also some across a problem where I had my bow tubes ready for an attack (all 6 of them open). The problem was that I noticed a DD just 500m off the port bow. Emergency back from a standstill allowed me to move literally just outside his DC lethal radius. The DCs went off just a few meters away from my sub, yet I took no damage whatsoever (nothing reported, not even hull damaged), however I was unable to fire my torpedoes anymore! Whenever I tried firing a torp (from the 6 bow tubes -- stern tubes were working as that DD found out) I got a "Cannot launch torpoedo due to damage, sir!" or similar message. The fix for that was manually removing each torpedo from it's tube. I didn't loose the 'damaged' torpedos, I just had to re-reload them.

@Elder-Pirate: you might try looking for the SH IV damage report utility. It's a small 3rd party topol that analyses saved games and accurately reports all kinds of damage (temporary and permanent alike) you sub has taken. Also has a gauge of how deep you can go without crushing. Try using that tool to check for any permanent unreported damage to tube 7.

EDIT: Here it is: SirHendrik's Damage-Analyzer II v2.0 Beta (Updated May 26) (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114405)

Elder-Pirate
06-26-07, 01:10 PM
Thanks switch.dota :up:

I never got the chance to see if a port call fixed the USS Tuna I was on for Uncle Sam gave me a brand new "Gato" and of course the tubes work like a charm ( so far :roll: ).

Have d/l the "Damage-Analyzer" and looks pretty good. :arrgh!:

SteamWake
06-26-07, 02:19 PM
Just get yourself an S class and you wont have these problems :p

switch.dota
06-26-07, 02:21 PM
Even a Porpoise will do!

SteamWake
06-26-07, 02:27 PM
Regarding refitting: it seems Refit only replenishes torpedo RESERVES, not the torpedoes in the tubes.

Just as a quick note you only have to drag one torpedo into the tube for re-arming. you can then immediatly click re-fit again. There is no need to wait for all tubes to get loaded or even the first tube for that matter.

The 'extras' are put into the mysterious skeleton closet storage (shrug).

switch.dota
06-26-07, 02:29 PM
That's like next to the Solar Pannels they use to recharge batteries without diesel, right?

SteamWake
06-26-07, 02:35 PM
That's like next to the Solar Pannels they use to recharge batteries without diesel, right?

Right next to the rubber raft dection module for the sonar.

Elder-Pirate
06-26-07, 02:36 PM

I'd like to tell you what I think of the "S Class" American subs but onkel Neal and others would not stand for it. :arrgh!: So I'll stick with the other sub classes. :smug:

Capt. Shark Bait
06-26-07, 06:25 PM
i've got #1 tube nonfunctioal right now. dunno how it happened, but it's not the first time either:damn: