PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else annoyed by the water refraction effect?

XanderF
05-06-07, 09:43 PM
Specifically, referring to the periscope. In Sh3, the water distorted the image into ripples that looked like they ran off the 'scope, and the view solidified from the blurry view through the water.

In Sh4, it's like they took the 3d view, applied some kind of "waving" filter to it, and then blended it over the normal 3d view...simply fading one into the other.

Do you follow what I'm getting at? In Sh3, it's like there was one 3d view that they had an algorithm for the effect that distorted the view and made it blurry, and could also reduce that effect to get back to a regular/unfiltered view, as a smooth transition. In Sh4, it's like...there are just two views (regular, and 'blurry') and they simply fade/dissolve from one to the other.

The net effect is that, with the Sh4 effect, you can CLEARLY still see the 'clean' view through the wavey filter, just faded out.

Rather annoying. If I had to guess, I'd say they did this two-views-merged thing because they had to do that effect any way for the stadimeter in this game.

Crosseye76
05-07-07, 12:18 AM
I like the effect actually.

XanderF
05-07-07, 12:56 AM

Compared to the Sh3 version? REALLY? Why?? Sh3 is far more realistic?

Unless, maybe, different video cards handle it a bit differently, which is something I was considering. I have an ATI card, so...

CaptainCox
05-07-07, 12:59 AM
Ditto :)

Kant Schwimm
05-07-07, 04:03 AM

Agree:up:
I think its very realistic, great immersion (punn intended:lol: ) in stormy seas at Pdepth with the waves lapping over my lens trying to get a visual on that sweet target is so FRUSTRATING I now know just how the skippers of the day must have felt, thanks devs great job:up: Now if they could just model seaweed and floatsom to stick to the lens at that critical moment........:p

ReallyDedPoet
05-07-07, 08:54 AM

Like this as well:up:

RDP

Antrodemus
05-07-07, 09:31 AM
I like the effect, but there should be some kind of residual blobs left, even after it's cleared the majority of the water.

flintlock
05-07-07, 10:31 AM
I thought the effect was pretty decent.

AVGWarhawk
05-07-07, 10:41 AM
At first it was annoying. I found out I really like it also.

Silence
05-07-07, 10:45 AM
IMO the water effect in SH4 is one of the best I have seen for any game on any platform. Think the wakes need a little tuning up so that they are a little more real, as there are some inconsistencies. :arrgh!:

XanderF
05-07-07, 10:47 AM
Okay, it's not the IDEA of the effect I'm complaining about, rather the EXECUTION.

Again, compare to the same effect in Sh3. Do you REALLY find it looks better in Sh4??

If so, there has GOT to be some kind of video card difference or something. Seeing the ghost of the ship, as clear and crisp as on the surface in the midday sun easily visible behind a wavey version of the same scene just destroys the immersion.

ReallyDedPoet
05-07-07, 01:36 PM
IMO the water effect in SH4 is one of the best I have seen for any game on any platform. Think the wakes need a little tuning up so that they are a little more real, as there are some inconsistencies. :arrgh!:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114167

Have a look at this thread regarding wakes:roll:

RDP
(http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=114167)

tycho102
05-07-07, 02:07 PM
I think the effect is fairly realistic.

Although I have never actually modeled thin-film refraction effects with sea water, and don't know anything about the curvature of the optics (or even their composition). Actual sea water has all kinds of plankton and other impurities that will change the refractive index, surface tension, viscosity...

Bilge_Rat
05-07-07, 02:43 PM
I am not sure what you are referring to XanderF, on the whole I find all of the water effects in SH4 are greatly improved over SH3 and very lifelike. I especially like the whitecaps. Spend some time on the bridge in stormy weather, you will see foamy water, whitecaps, etc., very nice. I havent noticed anything special about the water on the periscope.

As Silence pointed out, the only remaining issue is the waves breaking over the bow which should break up into foam, but presently comes in as a solid sheet. I presume its a limitation of the engine, but considering all the other improvements, its a minor point.

Antrodemus
05-07-07, 02:54 PM
C'mon, the details were in the first sentence of his post;

Specifically, referring to the periscope.

I don't think Xander was refering to any of the other water FX.

SteamWake
05-07-07, 03:48 PM
I like the effect as well.

Also thought the water "sheeting" when you raise the external camera out of the water was cool too.

Sulikate
05-07-07, 04:03 PM
Like this as well:up:

RDP Me too:up: Even if it is a FPS killer for low end systems, I always leave it on.

Safe-Keeper
05-07-07, 04:13 PM
I think it'd help if everyone actually read all of the original post before replying;). Come on, it's not that freaking long.

To answer him: well, to be honest, I didn't notice that. And I don't have SH4 installed at the moment, since I'm focusing on NorOps, so I can't check if it's like that for me.

But yes, if you're right and it's not just some glitch on your end, then that's fairly annoying. Could you perhaps take a screenshot (Ctrl+F11, in case you didn't know) and post it here (use Photobucket to upload, also in case you didn't know)?

geosub1978
05-07-07, 04:24 PM
Just a remark. In real life, this effect really takes place through the periscope, but it happens so fast that someone cannot even notice it. Nevertheless, in the game it gives a very cool atmosphere.

Fercyful
05-07-07, 05:09 PM
I like the effect :up:

:arrgh!:

Bilge_Rat
05-07-07, 07:45 PM
I have actually paid attention to it tonight and I find the water sheeting effect is very well done, very lifelike, which is probably why I had'nt noticed it before.

sevn_up
11-08-07, 09:31 AM
Is there a way to remove the effect from both the periscope and the external camera? Is there some sort of option to disable it. I particularly hate it when using the external camera. I like looking at ships at sea level, but even when the waves don't actually submerge the camera, I get the "blurry" look.

The General
11-08-07, 09:44 AM
XanderF killed himself and I can understand his frustration. What are you people babbling about!? The screen-wash effect as the periscope breaks the surface is much better in SH3! However it's a minor problem compared to the overall graphical improvements in SH4.

Poor Xander F must have felt like this: :damn:

:rotfl:

SteamWake
11-08-07, 11:23 AM
Wow another necro post.

I shure hope your just kidding about XanderF 'killing himself'.

I frankly dont remember what SH3's water sheet on the scope looked like since I havent played it in quite some time.

I do remember seeing the water sheeting for the first time in SH4 and thinking "hey thats pretty cool".

A little trick I use is when in high seas and the water is constantly washing over the scope head is to rise slightly above periscope depth to get the scope head higher. It doesent seem to get me spotted any more than usual and makes solutions a little easier.

The General
11-08-07, 03:39 PM
A little trick I use is when in high seas and the water is constantly washing over the scope head is to rise slightly above periscope depth to get the scope head higher. It doesent seem to get me spotted any more than usual and makes solutions a little easier.Yes, I'm hoping the Devs correct this business of the A.I. not detecting torp wakes and periscopes and what-nots.

SteamWake
11-08-07, 03:51 PM
A little trick I use is when in high seas and the water is constantly washing over the scope head is to rise slightly above periscope depth to get the scope head higher. It doesent seem to get me spotted any more than usual and makes solutions a little easier.Yes, I'm hoping the Devs correct this business of the A.I. not detecting torp wakes and periscopes and what-nots.

Oh they definatly react to torpedo wakes in the right conditions. As soon as the first fish is on the way you can see the boats turning in an attempt to avoid.

Many a 'solution' has been spoiled for me by this behaviour.

The right conditions are daytime, clear weather, calm seas.

d@rk51d3
11-08-07, 04:50 PM
In response to the OT, I prefer the SH3 effect by far.:up:

Shiplord
11-08-07, 05:07 PM
I prefer the SH3 effect too, It looks not so cartoonish as the SH4 effect.
Maybe a programmer here can reduce the SH4 effect within the shader file it use?