PDA

View Full Version : Salvo's

buteobuteo
05-06-07, 03:49 PM
It may be possible to use TDC from SH3 to fire salvo's from tubes 1,2,3 and 4.
It's also possible to open tubes 1,2,3 and 4 together. I did a quick check and it seemed to work. Unfortunatly as U-Boats only had 4 forward and 2 aft tubes,unless it's possible to add more tubes,it will only work on the first 4 tubes.

It also seems as if by using SH3 TDC you can set Range,Bearing,AOB and Speed independantly.

My modding skills are basic and I was hoping some more capable modders might look at it in further detail,and if it works integrate into SH4

What I did was to change [Cmd37] in cfg/commands to:-

[Cmd37]
Name=Weapons_officer_view
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x56,s,"V"
Page=0x3B000000, 3713
GoBack=Conning_tower_cam

Page is TDC from SH3
What this does is add the WO view(which is indentical to conning tower view)with an overlay of TDC from SH3
Use the Salvo button to select Salvo from 1,2,3 and 4

donut
05-06-07, 04:49 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110575&page=2&highlight=Torpedo+Doors+Open

We really need Open all outer doors mod ck links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110500&highlight=Torpedo+Doors+Open

buteobuteo
05-06-07, 05:06 PM
What I meant by open tubes 1,2,3 and 4 together was that they all opened at the same time.
In salvo mode set for tubes 1,2,3 and 4 although only tube 4 shows as selected all 4 tubes are selected and will all open together. Just push "Q" once and all 4 tubes will open.

donut
05-06-07, 05:32 PM
USN WW2 Boats,engaged PK,marked target opened outer doors,fired a spread,with different gyro angles,computed by TDC and PK input.All that needs to be modded,is to get all the doors open without the last selected tube closeing,as it does now.:hmm: Too speed torp in water time,for spreads

buteobuteo
05-06-07, 07:07 PM
You can have all the doors open at the same time, it's in CCIP's keyboard mod.
What I was trying to do was find a way to get one command to open several doors together instead of opening them one at time.

donut
05-06-07, 11:31 PM
Capt.buteobuteo Sir,
That is exactly what we need.The"W"key cycles ea. tube,& selects next tube ea.time it is pushed. But it also closes previous tube,when next tube selected.:damn:
Of course"Q"key will open selected tube until fired. but only selected tube again.:damn:

I am with your idea,100%,& had thought someone had it cased,I suspect Ducimus,or CCIP know if it is possible ? It"s a commands.cfg (goat)& I haven"t
figured how they are linked/scripted sorry.I sure wish you luck.:yep:

7Enigma
05-07-07, 10:25 AM
Capt.buteobuteo Sir,
That is exactly what we need.The"W"key cycles ea. tube,& selects next tube ea.time it is pushed. But it also closes previous tube,when next tube selected.:damn:
Of course"Q"key will open selected tube until fired. but only selected tube again.:damn:

I am with your idea,100%,& had thought someone had it cased,I suspect Ducimus,or CCIP know if it is possible ? It"s a commands.cfg (goat)& I haven"t

With CCIP's mod it does NOT close the previous tube as it does without the mod. You can 1 by 1 go through and open all the tubes you want and then quickly fire them without the wait. It's definitely not as attractive as being able to open all doors with a single click, but bottom line is it allows for a close cluster of torps which can be the difference between a sinking and a severely pissed off ship.... :)

joea
05-07-07, 12:11 PM
I wish people would stop spreading misinformation.

donut
05-07-07, 02:13 PM
I hope humans w/knowledge have the kindness to share,& would be less almighty,bitchy old bags.:yep:

buteobuteo
05-07-07, 03:24 PM
Capt.buteobuteo Sir,

With CCIP's mod it does NOT close the previous tube as it does without the mod. You can 1 by 1 go through and open all the tubes you want and then quickly fire them without the wait. It's definitely not as attractive as being able to open all doors with a single click, but bottom line is it allows for a close cluster of torps which can be the difference between a sinking and a severely pissed off ship.... :)

I am now able to open all 10 doors with one command. Although its a bit bit of a messy way of doing it. I'm using the TDC from SH3,and by using the salvo select buttons it is possible to open almost any combinatin of tubes.

I'm using a Gato and by adding more tubes to the salvo section in data/submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato cfg you can set it to open just the fore tubes or aft tubes or all 10. Reseting the salvo select switch will still let you cycle the tubes individually.

joea
05-08-07, 06:21 AM
I hope humans w/knowledge have the kindness to share,& would be less almighty,bitchy old bags.:yep:

Sorry I am not a bag, that said I misunderstood this thread...I thought you knew what CCIP's mod is about and you didn't realise it can open all doors and keep them open. Sorry I actually like your posts and agree with you some of the time. My apologies.

Still I have to say something about the OP which I hope won't be taken as a flame...why put the SH3 TDC which is not historical at all??? US boats did not have a salvo button, u-boats did. Also, the SHIV TDC is closer to the real thing (not perfect) than the SH3 was. Also, if you think about it, you could not open all tubes at the same time, well the same second on any sub. One or two crew would open the levers one after another it really doesn't take long. Even in SH3 the torpedoes are not fired simultaneously!!

*Awaits return fire*

spdklls
05-08-07, 06:40 AM
I would like a mod to be able to set the angle for each tube independently, instead of having to turn the dial before each shot. This would allow a much more accurate attempt at a true salvo;(launching a group of torps with a certain degree of seperation to cover all evasive maneuvers the target may try to take). It would be nice to be able to hit the target at three or four different spots also. To be more specific, I'd like to be able to set a spread angle, have the selected tubes open doors together, and fire in rapid succession with one fire command (click the fire button one time). This is probably not historically accurate, but I think the US subs should be equally as capable as the German subs. Come on, the US had to know about the German TDC's, that's what spys were for! Sorry if this makes no sense to some, I'm having a hard time describing exactly what I want.:damn:

buteobuteo
05-08-07, 06:48 AM
I think every-one has misunderstood what I was trying to achieve. My aim was to simulate the Captain ordering the WO to open the doors I had no intention of using SH3 TDC, it was the only way I could find t simulate it. I do not fire salvos as in SH3 I still use SH4 targeting once the doors are open,ie firing single torpedoes.

My reference to Firing salvo's and the manual targeting was because I had seen posts asking about them.

spdklls
05-08-07, 06:59 AM
I understood what you were trying to do (get tube doors open all at once), I was just saying what I would like to see in a mod. I probably should have started a new thread.:oops:Didn't mean to hijack this one.

AntEater
05-08-07, 11:12 AM
This is the classical "technical sim versus captain's game" problem.
Technically, US subs had no AUTOMATIC "fan mode". In U-Boats, as modelled in SH3, there was a "Fächerschaltung" which automatically sequenced the selected tubes.
In US Boats, each tube was fired individually and gyro angle had to be set for each tube.
However, this was NOT done by the captain, whose role the player takes.
The captain ordered a spread and said "commence firing" and the whole firing sequence was handled by the XO, the TDC officer and the guy on the firing button in the tower, and as a backup by the torpedomen.
So the only difference in firing fan shots was actually that the button-pusher (:D) and the TDC operator (both tasks done by the same guy in a Type VII anyway) had a little less workload as he simply threw a switch where his US counterparts had to set a multitude of switches and fire each tube by stopwatch.
But for the captain, the firing procedure was the same. Problem is, this was verbally ordered and there was no buttons for it.

Nightmare
05-08-07, 11:24 AM
I would like a mod to be able to set the angle for each tube independently, instead of having to turn the dial before each shot. This would allow a much more accurate attempt at a true salvo;(launching a group of torps with a certain degree of seperation to cover all evasive maneuvers the target may try to take). It would be nice to be able to hit the target at three or four different spots also. To be more specific, I'd like to be able to set a spread angle, have the selected tubes open doors together, and fire in rapid succession with one fire command (click the fire button one time). This is probably not historically accurate, but I think the US subs should be equally as capable as the German subs. Come on, the US had to know about the German TDC's, that's what spys were for! Sorry if this makes no sense to some, I'm having a hard time describing exactly what I want.:damn:
I understand what you are trying to achieve. You basically want how salvos were handled in Sh3. However, the fleet boats did not have that same control. There was only one dial on the gyro angle offset on the TDC so a new angle had to be entered after each shot, just like how it is done in game.

Previous post explaining how it worked (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=519834#post519834)

donut
05-08-07, 01:30 PM
Joea, may be I'm the thin skinned old bag. Sorry pal,must be having a bad hair up my butt,Apology. :yep: Just spoke with Hellen Wait,about patch 1.03