PDA

View Full Version : Time Compression Queries.

TwistedAdonis
05-05-07, 12:05 PM
Ahoy and Yaaaaar matey, and all that.

Is it just me or is time compression above 128X pointless (or annoyingly slow and jittery) when near other ships and submerged? Can one turn off the sonar so you can ignore contacts?

It just takes so darn long to get to an observation mission in Tokyo (4th mission, 4th time sent to bloody Tokyo to observe) because there are a few ships about. It's the one major bugbear (no pun intended) with this game for me.

I have an old AMD 64 3200, could this be it and do I thus have justification for upgrading my whole rig?

Yo ho ho, etc...

Twister

PS On an off topic point, I'd just like to thank you guys (the non-whiny ones) for all the info and Mod stuff. It's great and has broadened my enjoyment of this game. Ubisoft are lucky you're here. I think y'all deserve a group hug.

banjo
05-05-07, 12:15 PM
I have an old 2.8 gig Dell but I routinely use 3078 compression with no prob. However, if there is a convoy around, or if it is raining, I have to back that down to 2048 or less to get smooth action. Also, I added a gig of ram so have 2 gigs total.

TwistedAdonis
05-05-07, 12:46 PM
Thanks for that.

I got 3G RAM.

LZ_Baker
05-05-07, 02:38 PM
So can you go above that when there are no contacts around? TC always goers slower near contacts/busy areas/land/convoys/task forces because the CPU has to do alot more calculations. I have an Athlon 64 x2 4200+ and can't go over x128 or x256 around task forces and stuff without it getting sluggish (<20fps). When nothing is around, I can get into the x4600 range before slowing down.

TwistedAdonis
05-05-07, 02:55 PM
So can you go above that when there are no contacts around?

Ta LZ. Yup. It's all butter in open ocean.

AVGWarhawk
05-05-07, 07:00 PM
It is just one of those things, computer is generating ships and things, there is going to be some slow down. I find if I zoom in while on the map screen I can go to a higher TC and it is relatively smooth. I'm used to this as SH3 was much the same for me. I have a AMD 3200+, 1 gig RAM.

Snacko
05-05-07, 07:38 PM
I find that it's best to watch the time that is displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen. As I increase compression I usually hit a point to which my computer cannot go any faster, even though the compression value still increases. For me its about 2048. Above that, the time does not go by any faster. So, I think it has to do with how fast your computer is.

CaptainHaplo
05-06-07, 10:32 AM
Around shipping everything will be "choppy" the higher TC you run. From your post I noted one thing - turning "off" sonar. Unfortunately - there is no way to do this like you could in SH3 (remove the guys from the compartment). I despise having to constantly use the + key because my TC dropped to 8 over one of the 47 lifeboats now in the water that just popped over a wave where my lookouts can see it. This goes for sonar/radar or visual. There is a workaround - but its dangerous. You can modify the TC drop when a "new" contact is found - so it would only drop to say 64 or 128 from the map if thats what you wanted. The danger - is when your cruising along and a DD comes out of a fogbank - or when you think your at extreme range and you misjudge and get spotted - your damaged before you know it.

The choice is yours. If you want to mod the TC settings - its under Main.cfg in the data/cfg folder.

Good Hunting!
Captain Haplo

Mudrik
05-06-07, 02:32 PM
Just a point of interest to those who like to use time compression. Open up "main" CFG in your gamesave (use notepad) and you can manually edit the time compression settings.

This is very useful if you want to be able to use max TC while on the crew management screen or on the bridge, places where usually TC is limited to 8x. You can also edit the TC that the game will drop to at certain events (radio reports etc).

greekfire
05-06-07, 07:50 PM
Relating to this subject....last night returning from Japn on a patrol mission back to Pearl Harbor I found that I could only get up to around 2500 TC even though I could hit 7000+ compression at start of patrol. Also, there was absolutely no difference in actual time compression over 512 TC for me. In other words, 2500 took just as long at 512 which I have never experienced before.

My second problem was that I used only about 20% of my desiel to get to Japan but ended up using 75% to return home using the exact same path. It seems to be tied to the TC problems I was experiencing. It literally took me 3 hours sitting infront of game to get from Japan back to Pearl Harbor. What a nightmare. I would've given up the patrol but I had 131,000 tonage with CMOH potential. I got the medal when I finally got into port.

mookiemookie
05-06-07, 07:56 PM
Ahoy and Yaaaaar matey, and all that.

Is it just me or is time compression above 128X pointless (or annoyingly slow and jittery) when near other ships and submerged?

Funny, I've noticed this myself. I really don't go much higher than 2048x because it seems to be just as fast as 4096x and higher with the stutters and jitters.

ulyanov
05-06-07, 09:54 PM
In boring sections (no land, no allies and no enemies anywhere nearby) I can crank it up to 4096 - looks like an hour per second. There's 3600 seconds per hour, so this sounds right.

If it's lagging at all, and the clock isn't moving smoothly, then it's about an hour per 3 seconds.
I wind back to 2048, and the clock moves smooth, and I still get an hour per 3 seconds, which is a little off-base, but it's smooth and responsive at least.

SteamWake
05-06-07, 10:03 PM
The thing is with TC with contacts in range. Some get dropped and then picked up again.

Whey the get picked up again the TC is reset to 8.

This can be made even worse when you have surface radar.

Trust me my + key is about worn out. Its espically aggrivatting when in friendly waters.

Mudrik
05-07-07, 04:34 AM
The thing is with TC with contacts in range. Some get dropped and then picked up again.

Whey the get picked up again the TC is reset to 8.

This can be made even worse when you have surface radar.

Trust me my + key is about worn out. Its espically aggrivatting when in friendly waters.
Have a quick look at my post above. If you want to stop this problem it is possible to edit the "main" config so that the TC won't be dropped to 8 when there are radar contacts. Hope this helps