PDA

View Full Version : Hard to pick a supermod

Lagger123987
05-03-07, 04:24 PM
What's the best supermod I should pick? This Real UBoat Mod or Improved Uboat Mod, something called NYGM (dont know what that means), WAC (stupid name to me), or GWX(Tight name!). And any sidemods for a supermod.

FIREWALL
05-03-07, 04:32 PM
Please read the different forums.

Live a little and try them one at a time till you find what YOU like.

There all great. Enjoy :D

Lagger123987
05-03-07, 04:52 PM
Alright I get it, I was hyper a little, I'm my normal self now.

FIREWALL
05-03-07, 05:00 PM
Alright I get it, I was hyper a little, I'm my normal self now.

Kool:D

GT182
05-03-07, 06:59 PM
Each one has special features and you need to readup on them or try each to see what you like. It's a choice only you can make. :yep:

Many of us are partial to one only........ and that's GWX. ;)

Jimbuna
05-04-07, 06:10 AM
GWX ? :hmm:
:rotfl: :rotfl:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/14/ddssh404xa0pc2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

melnibonian
05-04-07, 06:27 AM
GWX

That's all you need ;) :up:

shadow701
05-04-07, 06:46 AM
GWX all the way. I just uninstalled and reinstalled everything (got stupid with the MiniTweaker) and gave SHIII a quick run before adding GWX back in. It was like playing Space Invaders on an Atari 2600. Like going from a Porsche to a VW. Like... well you get it.:D SHIII would probably be collecting dust if it weren't for GWX.

SmokinTep
05-04-07, 06:59 AM
GWX is the best as far as I'm concerned.

JCWolf
05-04-07, 07:12 AM
I guess I am preaty imparcial when talking about what SMod to pick!:arrgh!:

You can try some of this!

1- GWX
2- GWX
3- GWX
4- GWX
5- GWX

And if you want to realy have fun and entertain yourself you can try
the latest...

6- GWX

Meridian
05-04-07, 08:15 AM
FFS JC, dont beat around the bush and give the guy a straight answer. :rotfl:

STEED
05-04-07, 08:26 AM
Here is a clue..........

GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWXGWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX GWX

SmokinTep
05-04-07, 09:00 AM
What is GWX............:cool:

Hitman
05-04-07, 09:00 AM
If your PC can handle loads of eye-candy and you are not yet as experienced as to notice minor gameplay differences, GWX is the way to go. If you however are already an experienced player you might want to also try NYGM (Not Your Grandmother's Mod -no joke, that's the real name:88) )and compare which gameplay you prefer. Differences are subtle but present.

GT182
05-04-07, 09:20 AM
Make sure you know how and what to use for multipul installs of SHIII to run and compare these mods. It's not as easy as it seems... but then again I'm just a computer dummy. ;) Yes I've tried and yes I've failed. :yep: :oops: Everything has to be just right for it all to work as it should.

:hmm: What would be nice is a good indepth tutorial(pdf) with pics to make it easier all around for those that have multipul install problems. There is a trick to it so it works right using SH3 Cmdr and MultiSH3. I thought I had it working but something screwed the pooch on me.

Wilcke
05-04-07, 11:22 AM
I am also new to the community and in order to catch up I have dual installs of GWX1.03 and NYGM 2.4 runnning side by side.

At first its a little daunting to set up but with all the info in the forum it worked out well! Both installs have their own SH3 Commander and Skweeties Weather program.

I also have my original SH3 install with GWX1.03 on another drive.

Always keep a clean SH3 1.4b install hidden somewhere on your drive or burned to a DVD. Insurance is cheap when compared to a full re-install.

Enjoy, enjoy both!

Wilcke

vanjast
05-04-07, 11:23 AM
If your PC can handle loads of eye-candy and you are not yet as experienced as to notice minor gameplay differences, GWX is the way to go. If you however are already an experienced player you might want to also try NYGM (Not Your Grandmother's Mod -no joke, that's the real name:88) )and compare which gameplay you prefer. Differences are subtle but present.

Yup! I have not done GWX but I always had the impression it was more geared for overloading your graphics card, than for a great experience of play. I've used to play RuBxxx, but have settled on NYGM and found it satisfying enough. I might try GWX at some stage but I'm not happy about swopping mods at random.

:up:

FIREWALL
05-04-07, 11:40 AM
I think they gave you good advice.:D :D :D

danurve
05-04-07, 12:24 PM
"Hard to pick a supermod"

I respectfully disagree.

You can easily go through the readme files - manuals and stickies and find out for yourself what each does and has.

You can download each one and try them for yourself - best way.

If you ask about what mod to use here, it is basicaly asking others to make up your mind for you. Then you wind up with an entire thread full of Fluff posts. Imo fluff threads don't belong in the workshop forum.

bigboywooly
05-04-07, 12:45 PM
Try them all its the only way you will know
Tis your choice

@Vanjast
While in the past GW was labelled as a eye candy mod only I think you will find that GWX compares right up there with NYGM for gameplay

Plus GWX has the added bonus of more flotillas and theatres of operation
Not to mention a lot more ship and air units
As well as loads of historical missions

The only one to rival that IMHO is WAC

GWX 1.04 will push those boundaries further still :up:

Jimbuna
05-04-07, 01:01 PM
"eye candy" ? :lol:
Someone must be wearing blinkers over their eyes :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Lagger123987
05-04-07, 04:53 PM
Alright, GWX is my pick then, NYGM is the second pick if GWX can not run well on my computer.

HunterICX
05-05-07, 05:39 AM
Alright, GWX is my pick then, NYGM is the second pick if GWX can not run well on my computer.

I have 2.8ghz
512 Ram
and a Light Edition FX5700 256 meg card
and I run GWX just fine

30 average FPS , 15 - 20 in crouded harbours
its good playable for me, smooth enought.

GWX has a long loading time, but if you just could peek in the things he is loading , its mind blowing.

JCWolf
05-05-07, 06:24 AM

Yup! I have not done GWX but I always had the impression it was more geared for overloading your graphics card, than for a great experience of play. I've used to play RuBxxx, but have settled on NYGM and found it satisfying enough. I might try GWX at some stage but I'm not happy about swopping mods at random.

Eye candy!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't worrie Vanjast, in the GWX 1.4 it will come toghether with
a Light Coke, a Piza, And a SLI 1 GB graphic card!:huh: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Iron Budokan
05-05-07, 03:40 PM
If you want your testicles to suck up into your body and your mouth go dry with unadulterated terror and your face go pale with fright and your heart beat so fast it feels like it's gonna hammer its way out of your ribcage....pick GWX.

You won't be disappointed.

joea
05-05-07, 04:50 PM

Don't worrie Vanjast, in the GWX 1.4 it will come toghether with
a Light Coke, a Piza, And a SLI 1 GB graphic card!:huh: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ha ha had to alter my sig.

Jimbuna
05-05-07, 05:01 PM
If you want your testicles to suck up into your body and your mouth go dry with unadulterated terror and your face go pale with fright and your heart beat so fast it feels like it's gonna hammer its way out of your ribcage....pick GWX.

You won't be disappointed.

:roll: :rotfl: :rotfl: :damn: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Madox58
05-05-07, 09:46 PM
I see people talking about 1.04!!!
DON"T make me have to come kill you guys!!
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Shish is the WORD!!!
Remember,
We have ArseHats lurking!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
05-06-07, 03:19 PM
You guys might want to reread Hitman's post; he didn't say GWX was about "eye candy", he just said it had more. Actually he was quite complimentary, and doesn't deserve to be made fun of.

Someone must have learned a new word: that's the third time I've seen it today.

Jimbuna
05-06-07, 04:45 PM
You guys might want to reread Hitman's post; he didn't say GWX was about "eye candy", he just said it had more. Actually he was quite complimentary, and doesn't deserve to be made fun of.

Someone must have learned a new word: that's the third time I've seen it today.

I wasn't implying he was :nope: I actually find the term 'eye candy' quite quaint and an amusing descriptive term for those who describe the improvements in the graphical detail that GWX boasts :arrgh!: :up:

Sailor Steve
05-06-07, 04:48 PM
Gotcha. It's just that there have been so many comebacks of the "That 'eye candy' is deadly" sort, in response to people putting down the original GW.

Jimbuna
05-06-07, 04:52 PM
I know.....I suppose it's down to each individuals interpretation of the term. It only takes one negative episode to infect every occurrence :arrgh!:

Could be worse...it could of been termed 'nose candy' :lol:

Hitman
05-07-07, 12:30 AM

I would rather say instead of re-read, just READ it once :roll: Some people seem to stop reading as soon as the dreaded "eye-candy" expression appears and are already anxious to hit the "reply" button.

I have tested both GWX and NYGM and the differences are obvious in terms of graphics. Not that NYGM doesn't ship nice graphic improvements, but GWX is obviously vastly superior in that regard. I always understood that the graphics in GWX were not just for the purpose of impressing anyone, but instead as a way to increase realism. Good graphics are inmersive, that is as good a technique of adding realism as any other, though it is not for everyone's PC and video card.:hmm:

Gameplay wise, both supermods are very ellaborated but with subtle differences. And none of them is easy:arrgh!:. But since GWX also ships superior graphics, it is obvious that thisfeature will always be highlighted in any comment.