PDA

View Full Version : Amount Of Fuel

dtrain2k19
05-01-07, 01:12 PM
Hi all,

I have been wondering if it is possiable to mod the amount of fuel available on the sub? if it is possiable, how do you go about doing it?

thanks
dtrain

TDK1044
05-01-07, 01:15 PM
I think the fuel usage is reasonably accurate within the game, and you also have the option for 'unlimited Fuel' in gameplay options. What's to mod?

perisher
05-01-07, 01:46 PM
It would getting into some seriously detailed work but range could be extended by storing extra fuel in the ballast tanks. Doing so meant that some ballast tanks could not be used for diving and this obviously effected the boat's diving ability and stability. I don't know if the USN ever did this but the RN often did so.

SteamWake
05-01-07, 01:48 PM
I think the fuel usage is reasonably accurate within the game, and you also have the option for 'unlimited Fuel' in gameplay options. What's to mod?

Going to have to disagree here. At least to the reasonably accurate comment.

I have no hard numbers but Im pretty sure that the sailors dident have to slog around the atlantic at 8 knots in order to be able to get back home.

The fuel quantity seems to be some arbitrary number eg 50 out of 100 means half full tanks. But what is 100 ? Is 100 a greater quantity on a Balo vs an S class ?

Now that Ive said that perhaps its not the amount of fuel but rather the rate of consumption. Im sure that can be modded.

U-Bones
05-01-07, 02:17 PM

I have no hard numbers but Im pretty sure that the sailors dident have to slog around the atlantic at 8 knots in order to be able to get back home.

The fuel quantity seems to be some arbitrary number eg 50 out of 100 means half full tanks. But what is 100 ? Is 100 a greater quantity on a Balo vs an S class ?

Now that Ive said that perhaps its not the amount of fuel but rather the rate of consumption. Im sure that can be modded.

Set by tweaking the NSS_*.sim file

[2]
DropDownName=Diesel Propulsion
search,miles,1,single,>2,milesSurfaced
search,knots,1,single,>2,knotsSurfaced

All you can do is set the distance for a speed. I have no idea how it prorates consumption for slower or faster speeds. If you figure out the formula, I'm sure folks would like to know.

CaptainCox
05-01-07, 02:24 PM

I wonder. I have "Das Boot" on my ipod and i listen to it for over 3 months now over and over :p (good for going to sleep with) anyhow, he (Buchheim) keeps mentioning how nervous the engineer is about the fuel the whole time. Actually before they get the order to go to Vigo the "Old man" talks about sailing home if they run out of diesel...

Prof
05-01-07, 03:56 PM

Now that Ive said that perhaps its not the amount of fuel but rather the rate of consumption. Im sure that can be modded.I've commented before that the ranges in-game are much greater than the real boats. One of the dev team confirmed that they gave the subs greater ranges so we could transit at higher speed to avoid excessive travel times to the patrol zones.

Ducimus
05-01-07, 05:22 PM
Yeah, much greater. Infact, with the exception of the S class, they're all at 15,000 NM @ 10 kts ratio. Ive never been one to count rivets (still not either) but i just HAD to change that to some degree.

dtrain2k19
05-01-07, 08:02 PM
Thanks all for repling!
I never said that the game is not relaistic, and I know about the unlimited fuel, I want to run with double fuel etc. I am not even sure if I want to do this now that i have thought about it.