PDA

View Full Version : Airplanes not using thier cannons

fpg909
04-18-07, 11:16 PM
The planes in 1941 around southern England never seem to use thier guns against me when the overfly. The sunderlands will drop bombs everytime but the Spitfires (pretty sure they are spitfires anyway they are moving really fast) just fly over head as if they are going to strafe but never seem to do it. Anyone else notice that?

Spytrx
04-19-07, 03:24 AM
Just like the torpedo planes never use their torpedos... known faults that were never fixed by Ubi... :stare:

Kpt. Lehmann
04-19-07, 04:08 AM
Just like the torpedo planes never use their torpedos... known faults that were never fixed by Ubi... :stare:

Ummm, all aircraft cannons and turrets were fixed by / are fully functional in GWX and WAC.

Henri II
04-19-07, 04:52 AM
Don't know about Spitfires, but I've been strafed by Hurricanes multiple times.

HanSolo78
04-19-07, 05:05 AM
Also in WAC ;)

Kpt. Lehmann
04-19-07, 06:01 AM
Also in WAC ;)

Apologies. I didn't know that. Have corrected my post.:ping:

fpg909
04-20-07, 09:46 PM
Pretty odd. August 1941 and planes doing a lot of flybys. Havent been strafed yet although bombed several times.

Kpt. Lehmann
04-20-07, 10:18 PM
Pretty odd. August 1941 and planes doing a lot of flybys. Havent been strafed yet although bombed several times.

If you are using stock SH3, they will not fire their cannons at you.

Spytrx
04-21-07, 06:06 AM
I have seen a couple of Mods (for vanilla) being advertised that fix the problem for some of the planes at least, but most of the links were dead - I'll let you know if I hit gold and find a working link

Jimbuna
04-21-07, 07:27 AM
You might want to consider giving GWX a spin....the aircraft guns (whilst all work) are small fry when compared to the rockets they fire at you later in the war :arrgh!:

sergbuto
04-21-07, 08:04 AM
The main reason for flybys is that aircrafts were spawned with default loadout, i.e. without any bomb/DC ordnance.

You need to realize that in SH3 there is no included option for an aircraft to make a dedicated direct attack approach at the sub/ship to just strafe it, they need to carry bombs/DCs. Therefore, the planes can strafe only during a bombing approach/run or when they fly-by within the distance allowed for the max range of AA-gun firing which is specified in Sim.cfg in the data\Cfg folder. In stock SH3 this distance is set to 1000 m which is relatively short. A simple attempt to improve the situation is to increase this distance, say, to 4000/5000 m

[AI AA guns]
Max fire range=5000 ;[m]

This should make many planes fire their guns, especially those which have turrets with larger dergees of freedom.

Now, some of the planes, e.g. Hurricane, have sort-of "bugged" guns, they will only fire at very specific conditions. If you play stock SH3 and want to improve the situation further, you can download the Air-attacks mod from my SH3 site and ask Rubini about the modified CFG files for Airbases in the dat\Land folder taking advantage of planes from this mod (I do not remember if Rubini's files are included in the download). In any case, it is not very difficult to edit airbase CFG files (they are text files) and modify them to your taste, e.g. replace all FBHurricaneMk1 entries with FBHurricaneMk1C. The planes from the Air-attacks mod will always attack and strafe you. In addition you will have, as a benefit, aicrafts carrying rockets.

EDIT: Forgot to give a link to the thread
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=100846