PDA

View Full Version : The Casual Gamer

TDK1044
04-10-07, 07:33 AM
A neighbor of mine purchased silent Hunter 4 last Saturday. He was eagerly telling me all about it not realizing that I was a big subsim fan. He said that he and his son (aged 11) were really enjoying playing it.

As the discussion went on, it became obvious that he was playing the game at the default Graphical settings (Medium) because he didn't know you could change the graphical settings, and his realism was set at about 25 he thought.

I started to tell him about mods and patches and he looked at me like I was crazy. He even said to me "Yours might need that. Mine's fine."

This guy is Ubisoft's definitive 'casual gamer', Guys. He represents the 97 percent of people who will buy and play this game without any concept of mods, patches or bugs. He's not a stupid person....he earns more than I do, but it's all a question of perspective.

If you were to show him a list of bugs that need fixing with this game, he'd say "mine's fine" and carry on playing.

We here represent an important element for any Dev team, because we will always be a thorn in their side by demanding high standards for these games and pointing out the flaws. But let's not fool ourselves, as a market percentage we are almost insignificant, and Ubisoft makes games for people like my neighbor and not for us.

So let's hope for additional patches and continued excellent mods so that we can truly enjoy this game, and let's not worry about corporate policy that we can't fix and which isn't going to change any time soon.

Platapus
04-10-07, 07:55 AM
Is your neighbour enjoying playing the video game?

If so, then it really is not important what graphics settings or difficulty level he chooses to play with.

Not everyone buys a game for the indepth simulation capability. Some just want to peek through a scope and sink ships.

We should continue to calmly and logically compile lists of bugs for the developers for consideration. The endless whining is getting real old real fast :damn:

But you are quite correct. We can't change the corporate policy. Any changes to the software needs to be justified against the cost.

To us, simulation accuracy is sacred, but to Ubi, it is a business decision.

It is wise to recognise that simulation fanatics like us represent a pretty small, but rabid, community. And to use your numbers (which I feel are inaccurate), it is unrealistic to expect Ubi to make significant changes in their business case for 3% of the customer population.

Twas ever thus

Charos
04-10-07, 07:56 AM
Simmer: Take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.... Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more....

Casual Gamer: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

Ubisoft: It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, a casual gamer.You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the simmer alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.

flyingdane
04-10-07, 08:00 AM
Sounds Like a stereotypical gamer that likes what he has, Obviously he doesn't care if it gets patched or not. We the minority how ever do want patches because we take our gameing more serious than most, glad hes happy with it as is. :hmm:

ReallyDedPoet
04-10-07, 08:01 AM
A neighbor of mine purchased silent Hunter 4 last Saturday. He was eagerly telling me all about it not realizing that I was a big subsim fan. He said that he and his son (aged 11) were really enjoying playing it.

As the discussion went on, it became obvious that he was playing the game at the default Graphical settings (Medium) because he didn't know you could change the graphical settings, and his realism was set at about 25 he thought.

I started to tell him about mods and patches and he looked at me like I was crazy. He even said to me "Yours might need that. Mine's fine."

This guy is Ubisoft's definitive 'casual gamer', Guys. He represents the 97 percent of people who will buy and play this game without any concept of mods, patches or bugs. He's not a stupid person....he earns more than I do, but it's all a question of perspective.

If you were to show him a list of bugs that need fixing with this game, he'd say "mine's fine" and carry on playing.

We here represent an important element for any Dev team, because we will always be a thorn in their side by demanding high standards for these games and pointing out the flaws. But let's not fool ourselves, as a market percentage we are almost insignificant, and Ubisoft makes games for people like my neighbor and not for us.

So let's hope for additional patches and continued excellent mods so that we can truly enjoy this game, and let's not worry about corporate policy that we can't fix and which isn't going to change any time soon.

Very well-said, I like how subsim put in place threads about bugs and the like, very well organized and thought out:rock::rock:

ParaB
04-10-07, 08:07 AM
Reminds me of the friend of mine who had Falcon 4.0 on his system for years, never having played anything except the instant dogfights with realism options set to zero. With the cursor keys.

To each his own.

TDK1044
04-10-07, 08:13 AM
Reminds me of the friend of mine who had Falcon 4.0 on his system for years, never having played anything except the instant dogfights with realism options set to zero. With the cursor keys.

To each his own.

That says it all!

:rotfl:

Charos
04-10-07, 08:31 AM

To each his own.

For some reason I find that highly disturbing.:o

Jensen
04-10-07, 08:36 AM

To each his own.

Can Falcon 4.0 be played in other modes?

AVGWarhawk
04-10-07, 09:04 AM
Well, we have to look at this way, modding/graphics/realism has become should we say a 'hobby' and a interest in simulations. Casual gamers are just that, casual...can take it or leave it as is. Then there is us...lunatics at best when it comes to the simulation, whether on land, sea or air. We possess a drive to have accuracy and good gaming experience. Nothing wrong with obtaining perfection. Maybe a little disturbing to some but this breed finds it quite normal. :doh: So, this hobby of mine and yours keeps you off the streets and out of trouble. Nothing wrong there. You do, however, find yourself at the computer store attempting to score the best videocard you can get your hands on:roll: and you are on a first name basis with the sales people:yep:

Platapus
04-10-07, 09:08 AM

To each his own.

Just out of curiosity, why is that especially disturbing? People play video games for enjoyment. What is disturbing about that?

Not everyone plays video games for the challenge. Many people have enough challenges in Real Life. Some people play video games to escape reality and challenge. And that's OK:up:

BlackSpot
04-10-07, 09:13 AM
I have a mobile phone. I takes pictures, it records movies, you can send emails, you can access the Net. I does all these things and more. I use only it to make and answer calls. Does this make me a casual phone user? :D

Kapitan_Phillips
04-10-07, 09:57 AM

To each his own.

I tried that once. Playing with the cursor keys. About as enjoyable as a hernia :rotfl:

wolfast
04-10-07, 10:24 AM
Simmer: Take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.... Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more....

Casual Gamer: You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss.

Ubisoft: It seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Thomas A. Anderson, a casual gamer.You have a social security number, pay your taxes, and you... help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the simmer alias "Neo" and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for. One of these lives has a future, and one of them does not.
HAHAHAHAHAHAH:rotfl:
I love the matrix

John Channing
04-10-07, 11:52 AM

To each his own.

I remember a few days after Falcon 4.0 was released being in an EB and the clerk there was taking to a customer who was condidering buying it. The clerk asked him if he was into high fidelity flight simulations and the guy responded "Nah... I just want to fly around and blow s*** up!".

Regardless of your intent, if it's fun, it is a good purchase.

JCC

Charos
04-10-07, 04:40 PM

To each his own.

Just out of curiosity, why is that especially disturbing? People play video games for enjoyment. What is disturbing about that?

Not everyone plays video games for the challenge. Many people have enough challenges in Real Life. Some people play video games to escape reality and challenge. And that's OK:up:

Because to put it another way buying Falcon 4 to play it that way would be the equivalent of purchasing a ferrari to pick up the kids and do the shopping.

If escapism is what you need in a flight sim there's plenty to choose from without
utilising Falcon 4.

USS_shipmaster
04-10-07, 06:05 PM
IMHO ,gents, Silent Hunter game is not for casual player by default. Even with 45 % of realism setting player have to use some king of imagination, because patrolling even with time compression is very boring staff.
Most of casual players now are in PS2/3 XBOX etc in console games world. "IDOCRACY"*** is not coming, it already rings the door bell(TWICE).
PS ***the movie is good, but its not science fiction its documentary

nfitzsimmons
04-10-07, 06:14 PM
Think about this, though. If the biggest part of the gaming market is the casual gamer, and if the casual gamer is moving to consolse, then the developers will tend to develop for the consoles because that's where the money is.

And where does that leave the rest of us? If the developers can't make a buck on a specific game, they won't do it.

I find that a little frightening.

Charos
04-10-07, 08:43 PM
Well I hope they have considered long and hard the long term effect it will have on
society letting us all loose when we dont have anything else to do.

It will be less costly for them in the long term to keep all us poindexters :know: busy doing nothing.

nfitzsimmons
04-11-07, 10:17 AM
Well I hope they have considered long and hard the long term effect it will have on
society letting us all loose when we dont have anything else to do.

It will be less costly for them in the long term to keep all us poindexters :know: busy doing nothing.

Ya gotta good point...