PDA

View Full Version : Noob requires help with Mods please

Rasher
04-10-07, 04:22 AM
Lo Everyone

My names Rasher and I'm new to this particular Sub game. Used to play SS2 and AOD. This game seems much more detailed though :) I have installeed my DVD 1.4 version along with GWX 1.03 and SH3 Commander 2.7. I'm having difficulty in figuring out which mods to install as there are so many on offer and also it never says if they are already included in GWX and SH3 Commander. Can someone come up with a good selection of mods for me. I like realism so shall be turning off any aids. Also what do you guys prefer between GWX and NYGM?

Cheers
:up:

{Got rid of the black text so i could read it ;). NeonSamurai}

danlisa
04-10-07, 04:41 AM
First, Welcome To Subsim:up:

Second, Please don't write in black. I can't read it because I'm using the Smart Dark Forum Skin.:D

Third, Ah, this is the old favorite question of n00bs. GWX or NYGM:hmm: Mate, there are so many differences & so many similarities. How, non-commital was that?:lol:

Seriously, GWX can be as real as you like & if you are playing with all the aids off then there is no reason why you can't have a realistic experience. GWX is totally scaleable which is why it is the preferred mod for many people.

GWX does contain alot of ideas/mods which have been reworked to work with the huge file changes that it make. Currently, GWX is the most complete version of SH3.

Try it before you start adding more mods, this way you'll find out what you like & don't like.

Rasher
04-10-07, 04:49 AM
Lo again

Soz bout the text colour:) Danlisa. I will try as you said and stay with the GWX version for now. It all looks very good. 1 other thing to ask you. I purchased the Med expansion DVD when i bought the SH3 game. Is it compat with GWX or is it completely seperate as i havn't seen it mentioned on the forum in my short time looking.

Cheers:up:

danlisa
04-10-07, 04:54 AM
I purchased the Med expansion DVD when i bought the SH3 game. Is it compat with GWX or is it completely seperate as i havn't seen it mentioned on the forum in my short time looking.

Cheers:up:

No worries. The Med expansion pack is not compatible with GWX and is in fact vastly insuperior to GWX.

You can, however, have a second installation with the Med Pack installed. Have a search of the forum for Multiple installs to see how this is done.

mr chris
04-10-07, 04:55 AM
Welcome Rasher:up:

The Med expansion you talk of is not compatible with GWX. But GWX has much much more detail ships and scripting to it than said expansion pack.:up:
And its freeware:sunny:

Enjoy your stay at Subsim and Most of all enjoy GWX :up:
Anymore questions just fire away.

HunterICX
04-10-07, 05:11 AM
How to create a Dual install:

Uninstall SH3 tottally
*reinstall SH3
*change the Folder name of SH3 to for example SH3BOTM
*Run the setup of ur SH3 DVD/CD ROM again and click Repair.
*by doing that the setup will completly create a new SilenthunterIII folder next to the SH3BOTM one.
*now patch them both to 1.4b and install the Expansionpack and Supermod GWX on them.

Good luck
HunterICX

bigboywooly
04-10-07, 09:57 AM
Hunter you dont need to uninstall to add another install

Just rename the current install folder - SilentHunterIII to something else - SilentHunterIII GWX for example

Then insert DVD
Install
Repair

And you will now have another SilentHunterIII folder

Oh and welcome Rasher

Dont forget the GWX specific SH3commander cfgs too
Below my sig

Enjoy your stay

Rasher
04-10-07, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone

Its appreciated. The Med expansion was dead cheap so i bought it along with SH3. Never mind. Bigboywooly, Can you tell me what your SH3 Commander cfg files are? Cheers

danlisa
04-10-07, 11:50 AM
When using GWX & SH3Commander together you need to have some specific cfg files to make sure that GWX works correctly. There is a readme in the archive which explains what to do.:up: