PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo Damage Graphics not always showing.

CaptainCox
04-03-07, 12:41 AM
I noticed that the "Torpedo Damage Graphics" don't always show. I would say 3 times out of 4 the hulls of any target looks intact "visually". Would there be a possible tweak for this or you guys think its simply a bug?

Galanti
04-03-07, 08:04 AM
I'm maybe experiencing something similar here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110473

Are you using Mk 10s and no damage is being done to the target?

Schunken
04-03-07, 09:22 AM
same issues with deck gun....

sometimes it make holes, sometimes not...

..maybe only hits in a special place will show holes???

Andreas

StandingCow
04-03-07, 09:25 AM
Yea, same here.. and if you hit the bow or stern directly.. nothing shows. Be nice to see the props all jacked up.

Jams79
04-03-07, 10:33 AM
Yea, same here.. and if you hit the bow or stern directly.. nothing shows. Be nice to see the props all jacked up.

Dunno bout that, I took the beak of a carrier last night with a bow shot (plowed straight into the water after 1 shot :D ). I was playing with almost no realism though, testing stuff.

edit: Actually tinking about it I didn't notice a hell of alot more visible damage marks last night with lowered realism than I normally get.

NephilimNexus
04-04-07, 06:07 AM
Well I haven't looked into this per se, but I did notice a change recently when I "tweaked" my torpedo stats by upping the damage potential by a factor of ten. Before when I hit with a torpedo it would sometimes leave a nasty hole in the target ship and sometimes it wouldn't. Now it always does, and sometimes that hole reaches all the way from the keel to the deck! Yet other times the hole is minor, looking more like they repalced some of the metal plates with a cheese grater, as if a giant shotgun had hit it - this happens when I use magnetic fuses on a straight shot, meaning the torpedo exploded two meters from the target and did less damage.

:know: Theory: The appearance and size of holes in ships caused by torpedoes is directly correlated to how much damage they inflict on impact. Since the base damage for, say, a Mk10 is a variable between 50 and 100, my guess would be that somewhere around 75 damage is when the hole appears. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't - it's just the roll of the dice, I'm afraid. The good news is that late war torpedoes, such as the Mk18, do 180 to 350 damage per hit, so I'm betting that you'll always see some kind of damage decal when it hits, even it's just a small one.

GuillermoZS
04-04-07, 08:54 AM
:know: Theory: The appearance and size of holes in ships caused by torpedoes is directly correlated to how much damage they inflict on impact. Since the base damage for, say, a Mk10 is a variable between 50 and 100, my guess would be that somewhere around 75 damage is when the hole appears. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't - it's just the roll of the dice, I'm afraid. The good news is that late war torpedoes, such as the Mk18, do 180 to 350 damage per hit, so I'm betting that you'll always see some kind of damage decal when it hits, even it's just a small one.

I was just going to say it :D Thats historically accurate. Not a bug

Also keep in mind that when using magnetic piston instead of contact, torpedoes usually explode before touching the hull of the ship, which inflicts less damage and itīs less probable to make a hole.

Galanti
04-04-07, 08:59 AM

I was just going to say it :D Thats historically accurate. Not a bug

Also keep in mind that when using magnetic piston instead of contact, torpedoes usually explode before touching the hull of the ship, which inflicts less damage and itīs less probable to make a hole.

I'm still trying to sort out the seemingly non-effectiveness of my early mk. 10 detonations and these explanations make sense. However, as far as pistol types go, some players have reported that the pistol settings appear to be reversed (contact is actually magnetic and vice-versa). Has anyone else noticed this?

GuillermoZS
04-04-07, 09:23 AM
I'm still trying to sort out the seemingly non-effectiveness of my early mk. 10 detonations and these explanations make sense. However, as far as pistol types go, some players have reported that the pistol settings appear to be reversed (contact is actually magnetic and vice-versa). Has anyone else noticed this?
mmm... No, I havenīt had any problems with reversed settings...

The best way to use a magnetic pistol fish is to set the depth to explode right UNDER the hull, so all the explosion force is applied directly to the ship from the bottom. You can split a ship in two parts with just one fish if you do it right. The depth you have to set depends of the ship, it varies from 10 to 20 feet (or more) but be careful becouse if the torpedo goes too deep it will pass away the ship without exploding