PDA

View Full Version : [REL] RFB 1.11 is here.

Beery
04-02-07, 08:58 PM
REAL FLEET BOAT
Version 1.11

http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/RFB111.7z (http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/RFB111.7z)

This is the latest version of the RFB mod. This is the first 'official' version, since the mod will now follow the official patch numbers (i.e. RFB versions 1.10 to 1.19 will all work with SH4 version 1.1).

The big new things in the mod so far are:

Dutch Harbor in the Aleutian Islands is now available as a starting base. You can do missions from here and in all respects it works as a major submarine base. Be warned though - the Aleutian Islands are a bit out of the way and it takes a lot longer to get to the major Japanese shipping routes from there.

16 all-new campaign starts throughout the war. Each one is tied to a video briefing so that players can access these briefings without having to play through months of game time. Mostly though, this mod gives the player more options to start a career during any period of the war, from the attack on Pearl Harbor all the way to the invasion of Okinawa.

JimiMadrid's 'Greenlight' and 'Icons' mods - both make the user interface a lot easier to use.

Nomograph tool by Hildofr - this tool appears on the map view and allows players to easily plot intercepts.

Real Medals mod by FullMetalEdges - gives players more realistic medal awards.

Realistic battery life and crush depth mods - both by CCIP.

See the readme file for more details.

Since I don't check the forums every day, please respond with any comments or bug reports in this thread. Thanks.

akdavis
04-02-07, 09:11 PM
Might want to include the "A" key fix:
The crash to desktop when hitting the A key in the english version of SHIV is
a localization problem.

I have created a hotfix for that:
http://user1548.hostingbase.de/misc/A_Key_Fix.zip

install the fix with JSGME or copy the menu.txt into .../data/Menu/

Also, a campaign fix:
Campaign 1.1 Fix
JSGME Ready - Extract into your MOD directory.

All this MOD does is replace blank files to accomplish:

1. Sep 42 - Aug 43 now has IJN HuntKill groups and US coastal traffic.

2. Oct 44 - War End now has US coastal traffic and Taskforces.

In SH4 1.1 there are 4 empty mission files in the dynamic Campaign.

42b_Jap_SubHunters.mis
42b_US_CoastalTraffic.mis
44b_US_CoastalTraffic.mis
44b_US_Taskforce.mis

In the 42a* versions of the empty files, the end date is sufficient to cover until the 43a* files. The empty 42b* files are not needed.

In the 44a* versions of the empty files, the end date is sufficient to cover until the end of the war. The empty 44b* files are not needed.

So what is the problem you ask ?

Well, another file, Data\Campaigns\Campaign\campaign.cfg, forgot this and makes references to these empty files.

So rather than assuming this is the only place that points to these empty files, and editing the campaign.cfg, I have simply copied the 42a* and 44a* versions of these files into the 42b and 44b versions.

I dug into this after a totally boring patrol in June 42.

Enjoy,
U-Bones

Download here.
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze33y78/Campaign_1.1_Fix.zip

clayton
04-02-07, 09:12 PM
Will give it a try and let you know. Can I easily keep the current moon and sun graphics? Thanks, man... :up:

modisch
04-02-07, 09:12 PM
Just a heads up...

the html tag you used is bad. If you cut and paste the link, it works... but clicking on the link gives an error. At least for me.

-m

Beery
04-02-07, 09:16 PM
Just a heads up...

the html tag you used is bad. If you cut and paste the link, it works... but clicking on the link gives an error. At least for me.

-m

Works fine for me. I checked it as soon as I uploaded the file. I just checked it again - works fine again. Don't know what the problem is, but the link itself seems fine.

akdavis
04-02-07, 09:18 PM
Regarding the "A" key crash fix I posted above, it conflicts with RFB 1.10 because of the file menu.txt. Maybe someone can orchestrate a merge?

Beery
04-02-07, 09:18 PM
Will give it a try and let you know. Can I easily keep the current moon and sun graphics? Thanks, man... :up:

To keep the old sun and moon, before installing the mod go into the mod's Data folder and delete the 'Textures' folder. That will get rid of them.

Beery
04-02-07, 09:22 PM
Might want to include the "A" key fix...

Also, a campaign fix...

Thanks. I'll include those in the next version. :up:

Beery
04-02-07, 09:36 PM
Regarding the "A" key crash fix I posted above, it conflicts with RFB 1.10 because of the file menu.txt. Maybe someone can orchestrate a merge?

Yup. I spotted that too. I can merge it, but I'm temporarily without my file comparison software. Can someone point me to the bits of data that changed in the file for the 'A' key fix?

Actually never mind. I just spotted that there are a couple of ways to do it. I think I'm gonna let this one slide in the hope that the devs will pick it up in version 1.2. I'm worried that there's too much chance for screwing things up with this fix when 1.2 comes along.

navair2
04-02-07, 09:39 PM
Beery,

This is off-subject, but I thought since I ran across your posts a few minutes ago and had to comment...

I just started playing SH4, and played SH3 quite a bit over the past 2 years or so...if you're the same "Beery" that did all that work way-back-when on Red Baron 3D then I feel privileged you're still modding. :D

Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing your ideas with us, as well as combining ideas of other people much like you did back in the old days of RB3D. Those mods really made the game more interesting, accurate and fun.

I look forward to seeing what new things can be done by the modding community to "flesh out" such cool stuff like SH3 and 4. :yep:

modisch
04-02-07, 09:41 PM
Just a heads up...

-m
Works fine for me. I checked it as soon as I uploaded the file. I just checked it again - works fine again. Don't know what the problem is, but the link itself seems fine.

works fine in IE, but not in firefox. For me at least

for some reason, firefox wants to add a trailing / to the url, making it "http://www.beerymod.com\sh4\rfb110.7z/" whic doesn't work.

-m

mookiemookie
04-02-07, 09:43 PM
Just a heads up...

-m
Same for me. Using Firefox.

Beery
04-02-07, 09:49 PM
Just a heads up...

-m

I'll bet it's the fact that *.7z files only have two characters in the suffix. Firefox is assuming that, because it only has two rather than the usual three, it's a website and not a file.

So Firefox is not all powerful. We have found a chink in its armour, muahahahaha!

Beery
04-02-07, 09:58 PM
I just started playing SH4, and played SH3 quite a bit over the past 2 years or so...if you're the same "Beery" that did all that work way-back-when on Red Baron 3D then I feel privileged you're still modding. :D

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm that same guy who made the 'Beery Superpatch' mod for RB3D. I also made the 'Beery R&R' realism mod for B-17 II and I coordinated the work that went into the 'Real U-boat' mod for SH3. The mod community that we had for SH3 is still here and busy at work, so I have high hopes that we'll all get together again like we did for SH3 (actually we already are doing so). The community here is great and we have a history of helping each other and working together to make these games as good as they can be.

akdavis
04-02-07, 09:59 PM

Yup. I spotted that too. I can merge it, but I'm temporarily without my file comparison software. Can someone point me to the bits of data that changed in the file for the 'A' key fix?

Actually never mind. I just spotted that there are a couple of ways to do it. I think I'm gonna let this one slide in the hope that the devs will pick it up in version 1.2. I'm worried that there's too much chance for screwing things up with this fix when 1.2 comes along.

Cool. I just put a together a merged menu.txt file for my own use if you want it for yourself or just for reference.

Also, can someone explain how to utilize the nomograph?

nvdrifter
04-02-07, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm that same guy who made the 'Beery Superpatch' mod for RB3D. I also made the 'Beery R&R' realism mod for B-17 II and I coordinated the work that went into the 'Real U-boat' mod for SH3. The mod community that we had for SH3 is still here and busy at work, so I have high hopes that we'll all get together again like we did for SH3 (actually we already are doing so). The community here is great and we have a history of helping each other and working together to make these games as good as they can be.

Hey Beery, do you still play Red Baron 3d? I still play it sometimes. It's old but fun. I love the campaign, the chance to escape after being captured, the newspaper headlines, etc.

I remember you from way back. :D

Beery
04-02-07, 10:17 PM
can someone explain how to utilize the nomograph?

Sure. There are three lines: knots, nautical miles and minutes.

Finding how far your target will go in a certain time:
If you know your target's speed in knots you can find out how many nautical miles he'll go in say one and a half hours, by connecting a line between his speed and the 1 1/2 hour mark. Read where the line you drew crosses the distance line and you'll see how far he'll be at the time you specified.

Finding your target's speed in knots:
If you have marked his position on the map twice in a certain time period (say two hours apart) you can measure the distance, then draw a line through the distance and the time and connect it to the speed line and you'll find his speed.

Beery
04-02-07, 10:26 PM
Hey Beery, do you still play Red Baron 3d? I still play it sometimes. It's old but fun. I love the campaign, the chance to escape after being captured, the newspaper headlines, etc.

I remember you from way back. :D

I would be playing it still, if my computer would run it. But it runs about three times faster than it should on my new rig and even with all the mods that enable it for XP I still can't get it to work. :down:

Although I'd made mods for Red Baron 1 and Battleground Waterloo in the early to mid 1990s, Red Baron 3D was my first large scale mod project. I have very fond memories of it. But the SH3 mod team was/is far and away the best community mod team I've ever had the privilege of working with. If only these guys had been working on RB3D!

CyberOps
04-02-07, 10:32 PM
is it possible to just add the dutch harbor and the new campaings without the rest ?

Beery
04-02-07, 10:38 PM
is it possible to just add the dutch harbor and the new campaings without the rest ?
Sure. Before installing the mod, look in the Data folder and delete every folder in it EXCEPT the following:

The Roster folder and its contents.
The UPCData folder and its contents.

Then install the mod and you have the new base and the new campaign starts.

Maybe I'll make a separate mod for that stuff, as it's probably going to be a popular request.

Actually, I've already done it. Here it is: http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/PTM110.7z (http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/PTM110.7z). I've called it the 'Pacific Theater Mod'.

CyberOps
04-02-07, 10:42 PM
wonderfull thanks for the reply :)

Chrall
04-02-07, 10:49 PM
Starting to build up nicely.:up:
I have a request. Is it possible to add a draggable compass to the navigation map, such as the one Jiim did?

CyberOps
04-02-07, 11:03 PM
the dutch base only works till november 15 1943 after that it's not available anymore is that correct or a mistake ?

Beery
04-02-07, 11:11 PM
the dutch base only works till november 15 1943 after that it's not available anymore is that correct or a mistake ?

That's correct. After the Japanese threat to the Aleutians was nullified the submarines stationed there were withdrawn from Alaska and they all went to training duties. I haven't tested what happens after the base shuts down - the game should send you to Pearl Harbor.

CyberOps
04-02-07, 11:16 PM
Ok thanks for the info :)

Gizzmoe
04-02-07, 11:16 PM
Just a heads up...

-m
Now it works, I´ve fixed the link.

Beery
04-02-07, 11:23 PM
Just a heads up...

-m
Now it works, I´ve fixed the link.

Hehe, did I do backslashes instead of forward slashes? I must have been thinking in DOS too much today LOL.

Gizzmoe
04-02-07, 11:35 PM
Hehe, did I do backslashes instead of forward slashes? I must have been thinking in DOS too much today LOL.
Actually I don´t even know what caused the problem, everything looked ok, there was no trailing slash in the original link. I simply copied this whole line into Notepad

http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/RFB110.7z (http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/RFB110.7z)
then I copy/pasted it back, and it worked. Guess it was some kind of non-standard character problem. The second link had the same problem.

Deep Six
04-03-07, 06:55 AM
Beery nice to see you on this board already "Thinking" about realism....Have you included any aircraft tweaks, or sensor tweaks by Ducimus??

Cheers

Deep six

Uber Gruber
04-03-07, 07:50 AM
Any chance you could get together with Ducimus and Teddy da Bear for sensor tweaks, Teddy did some good work in NYGM and Ducimus has been doing good work for gawd only knows how long but possibly in an independant manner. Would be really cool to have their talents in the pot. :rock:

Beery
04-03-07, 09:38 AM
Any chance you could get together with Ducimus and Teddy da Bear for sensor tweaks, Teddy did some good work in NYGM and Ducimus has been doing good work for gawd only knows how long but possibly in an independant manner. Would be really cool to have their talents in the pot. :rock:

Everyone is always welcome to join the community modding team. Teddy Bar worked on the Real U-boat mod before he worked on NYGM and most of the pioneering sensor work done for the game's major mods (RUb, GW and NYGM) was done by folks like Stiebler, Jungman, CCIP, Gouldjg, Jace11 and TimeTraveller (names that seem to have been forgotten recently). The work of these folks was immensely important to all the major mods, so it's not all about Teddy Bar, Ducimus or me. Everyone's input is important and, for the good of the game and the community no one's work should be turned away or ignored by any mod co-ordinator, just as (in my opinion) no-one should keep work from the community.

I see no reason why the SH4 Mod Team can't work the same way as the SH3 Mod Team. When everyone has free access to every mod, that's how the best quality large-scale mods like RUb and NYGM come about. RUb could not have existed without the whole community's input and the same was true of NYGM.

No major mod is a one-man show. I'm only the co-ordinator of RUb and RFB. The co-ordinators of these major mods get a lot of sometimes undeserved credit, but the real work is done by the contributors who are the real creative force behind these mods, which is why I think it's important to list each contributor clearly in a mod's readme file (sadly, some mods fail to do this diligently). I wish I could find a better way of listing their contributions, but I've never been able to think of a better way.

I'm rambling on a bit, but my main points are that I'm open to any contributions and I think everyone's work is important. Finally, although mod co-ordinators get a lot of credit, your favourite mod features were probably made by some people you've never heard of.

Jaker
04-03-07, 09:45 AM
http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/klatschen.gifhttp://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/klatschen.gifhttp://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/klatschen.gif

Gammel
04-03-07, 01:01 PM
Hello Beery,

i´d love to try your Pacific Theater Mod, but unfortunately the game crashes to desktop
when you´re about to enter the campaign office room (after that war progress video is played)
I did select Dutch Harbour as starting base...
Date was April 1942 i guess - tried several entry dates without success.

I already did funny stuff to my SHIV installation ;-)
so the problem is most possible on my side.
But please could you do another test and just give me a report if your mod will work fine on a freshly clean installed SHIV 1.1?
Or is it maybe possible that some more files from RFb are needed to run the PTM stand alone?
Would love to make a patrol from the Aleutians...:cry:
Many thanks in advance!

Beery
04-03-07, 01:05 PM
I do constant tests on clean installs of the 1.1 version of the game. Every time I make the smallest change I test it by uninstalling the mod and re-installing it using JSGME. I did at least three tests this morning taking boats out from the Alaska base - all good.

AVGWarhawk
04-03-07, 01:10 PM
You da' man :rock::rock::rock:

Gammel
04-03-07, 01:16 PM
Thanks for you reply!

i just had the idea it could be the menu.txt being not part of the PTM, will give it a try later.

Gammel
04-03-07, 01:42 PM
Small update:
Did further tests:
Aleutian Campaign started april 22 works fine, tested with PTM and RFB:up:

Aleutian Campaign started april 1 crashed, with RFM too (nice intro Screen, btw!) :up:

So i will start an Aleutian Campaign on april 22, 1942 today :rock:
Thanks for that mod!!!
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8332/sh4img342007203832328fc5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Don't know if other players did have the same problem with april 1...

Beery
04-03-07, 02:18 PM
You're right about April 1st. Hehe, I should have known something would go wrong on April fool's day, LOL.

I'll look into this and see if I can do a fix and get an updated version out today.

Beery
04-03-07, 02:29 PM
I found the problem. It's in the CareerStart file. I'm going to do a bit of testing to make sure it's the only problem, then I'll release a new version later today.

waste gate
04-03-07, 02:51 PM
Where is the namograph suposed to show up? The nav map?

I installed RFB v1.10 and no namograph to be found.
Thanx in advance

jimmie
04-03-07, 03:12 PM
edit: sorry, my mistake, post deleted.

anyway, to say the least, I was talking about software versioning system (in software development world) and 1.1 is not 1.10 etc.

People who're not in software devlopment world often confuse version system like, after 0.9.9, they think it's 1.0.0 but actually we can go 0.9.10 etc. SH game patch version has not taken strict rules such as odd/even number for stability or build numbers etc (that's for internal real development), however.
Many people also don't know how we developer define "alpha" or "beta" in dev stage but they tend think it's "degree of bugs the app contains" etc.

Beery
04-03-07, 04:34 PM
I found the problem. It's in the CareerStart file. I'm going to do a bit of testing to make sure it's the only problem, then I'll release a new version later today.

Here's version 1.11 of both mods:

The Real Fleet Boat mod (http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/RFB111.7z)

This now also contains U-Bones' campaign fix.

The Pacific Theater mod (http://www.beerymod.com/SH4/PTM111.7z)

Both have been updated with the fix for the "April Fool's Day" bug in the Aleutians.

Beery
04-03-07, 04:50 PM
anyway, to say the least, I was talking about software versioning system (in software development world) and 1.1 is not 1.10 etc...

My system isn't meant to follow any rules or guidelines followed in the software developing world. What it's meant to do is to make it easy for anyone to quickly understand what mod goes with what version of the game. So...

If a player has version 1.0 of the game only mods starting with 1.0 (i.e. 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc.) are built for that version. So mod 1.11 goes with version 1.1 of the game and mod 1.35 will go with version 1.3 of the game). It's a simple rule that has saved players hours of confusion and it's saved me from tearing my hair out, which often happened in my earlier mods when players didn't read the readme file and tried to install mods meant for version 1.4 over version 1.0 of the game.

It's not foolproof, but it is the most fool-resistant system I know of.

akdavis
04-03-07, 05:33 PM

I must have missed something, but what is the other mod?

Beery
04-03-07, 06:22 PM
I must have missed something, but what is the other mod?

It's the version of the mod for those who just want the additional start dates and the Alaska base. It has nothing else in it. I called it the Pacific Theater mod because the addition of Alaska really means it covers all the Pacific Theater.

mookiemookie
04-03-07, 09:43 PM
Thank you for releasing this, Beery. I remember RuB being the very first mod I ever downloaded for SH3, before there was even such a thing as Grey Wolves. Glad to see that you're continuing the great work!

Gammel
04-03-07, 10:30 PM
Thx for the fix, Beery! :rock::up:

donut
04-03-07, 11:23 PM

This now also contains U-Bones' campaign fix.

Both have been updated with the fix for the "April Fool's Day" bug in the Aleutians.
? Do both have,JimiMadrid's 'Greenlight' and 'Icons' mods - both make the user interface a lot easier to use. wanted "Greenlite",w/Pacific Theater ,Thxs.

Hitman
04-04-07, 01:52 AM
Beery could you please update the link to the latest version in the first post of this thread? Many users get lost when browsing through a long topic and having links updated in the first post is always wellcomed:up:

Beery
04-04-07, 06:20 AM
Beery could you please update the link to the latest version in the first post of this thread? Many users get lost when browsing through a long topic and having links updated in the first post is always wellcomed:up:

Done. :up:

Beery
04-04-07, 06:27 AM
? Do both have,JimiMadrid's 'Greenlight' and 'Icons' mods - both make the user interface a lot easier to use. wanted "Greenlite",w/Pacific Theater ,Thxs.

Only RFB has that right now. I figured that the PT mod was aimed at people who mix and match mods, and they would want a very simple mod to add to the stack of mods they already use.

E.Hartmann
04-04-07, 09:58 AM
Hey Berry,
Could you implement the watch fix in your next release? You added almost everything I love but not that. The second hand is messed up and the watch is huge!!

Beery
04-04-07, 11:03 AM
Hey Berry,
Could you implement the watch fix in your next release? You added almost everything I love but not that. The second hand is messed up and the watch is huge!!

Sure thing. I'll go get it right now. :up:

609_Avatar
04-04-07, 11:34 AM
Great job once again, Beery! Thanks for all your hard work. It's tough keeping up with you and your quick updates! :up:

cdrake66
04-04-07, 02:35 PM
Berry,

Great work on the RFB mod. Looking forward to future releases.

I have created a metric nomograph intended to work in conjunction with your mod. If you want to take a look at it you can find it here:
http://hosted.filefront.com/cdrake66/1929340

You are more than welcome to include it with RFB if you think it will add value.

I have sized it to match the nomograph in RFB such that it works with the current edits in the menu_1024_768.ini file.

I would like your permission to announce this as a general release if you don't mind. My .rar file includes your modified ini (credited to you and Hildofr) that allows the nomograph to display on the in-game map so I feel I should obtain your permission before releasing it to the general public
Regards,
Chris

Beery
04-04-07, 04:11 PM
Hi Chris.

That's fine. You don't need my permission. Glad to see that there's a metric option made specifically for RFB - I was hoping someone would do it. I'll include it in RFB as an option if that's okay.

Schultzy
04-04-07, 04:20 PM
Hi Beery, I hope you don't mind requests, ;) but I was hoping in the next edition of RFB, you could perhaps activate the Ctrl+W to give the weather conditions, ala the 'Flavoured to Taste' mod? The only thing I miss since swapping over.

Great start, keep up the good work! :)

Beery
04-04-07, 04:30 PM
I just checked it out in the game. It's VERY nice. I wish the imperial one looked that clear. By the way, it works fine with the menu_1024_768.ini file that the other nomograph uses, so I'll only include your dds file, as the other menu file gets loaded automatically for RFB. I think there's going to be a need for a few optional metric files so I'll set something up whereby players can enable the metric stuff all at once.

Beery
04-04-07, 04:40 PM
Hi Beery, I hope you don't mind requests, ;) but I was hoping in the next edition of RFB, you could perhaps activate the Ctrl+W to give the weather conditions...

If I can find instructions on how to do it I'll do it. :up:

clayton
04-04-07, 05:25 PM
Hi Beery, I hope you don't mind requests, ;) but I was hoping in the next edition of RFB, you could perhaps activate the Ctrl+W to give the weather conditions...

Please, and for gods sake remap the 'Enter' key as well! Don't know how many times I've accidently shot off a torpedo... Thanks for everything you do...

raymond6751
04-04-07, 05:53 PM
I personally WANT the exterior view activated by the ,. keys. I appreciate that some might not, but I like to look around.

Would someone kindly tell me how to reactivate it?

cdrake66
04-04-07, 07:24 PM
I just checked it out in the game. It's VERY nice. I wish the imperial one looked that clear. By the way, it works fine with the menu_1024_768.ini file that the other nomograph uses, so I'll only include your dds file, as the other menu file gets loaded automatically for RFB. I think there's going to be a need for a few optional metric files so I'll set something up whereby players can enable the metric stuff all at once.
The only reason I included the .ini file was for folks who might want to use the nomograph but aren't using your mod. The .ini is simply a copy of yours from the RFB mod, so no need for you to include anything but the .dds.

If you'd like, I'll redo the text on the Imperial nomograph. It took me several tries to get it the way I wanted on the metric, but now I have it figured out and it will only take me an hour or so to do.

I'll include it in RFB as an option if that's okay.
Absolutely! Feel free to include it. I do these small mods to enhance my own enjoyment of the game. I'm very happy to share that with the community.

Regards,
Chris

akdavis
04-04-07, 08:18 PM

Please, and for gods sake remap the 'Enter' key as well! Don't know how many times I've accidently shot off a torpedo... Thanks for everything you do...

I would recommend this:
KEYBOARD FUNCTION MOD v 1.1
Just a quick config fix for your convenience
I've rearranged the Commands.cfg with two main aims:
1) Making the keyboard layout identical to SH3 where possible (makes it easier for players to transition)
2) Recovering functions that were in SH3 but are are missing from SH4's menu (they all work but someone forgot to put shortcuts for them in SH4).

************INSTALLATION*****************
Copy this file to your
Silent Hunter 4/Data/cfg/
folder (overwrite the original)
Original SHIV commands file included in the archive as backup!

LAYOUT CHANGES
F3 - Attack Periscope (was F4)
F4 - Bridge View (was F5)
F5 - Navigation Map (was F3)
F6 - Attack Map
F7 - Crew Management (was F10)
F8 - Mission Objectives (was F12)
F9 - Conning Tower
F10 - Deck Gun (was F6)
F11 - Flak Gun(s) (was F7)
F12 - Free Camera (was F11)
Ctrl+Enter - Fire Torpedo (was Enter)
NumPadInsert - Go back to previous view
Ctrl+W - Weather Report
R - Radar (was F9)
Ctrl+R - Return to course
G - Time to course end
Ctrl+G - Range to course end
Shift+G - Maximum range at current speed
Ctrl+V - Report nearest visual contact
Shift+B - Repeat last sound contact
Ctrl+N - Report nearest sound contact
Shift+N - Report nearest warship contact
Ctrl+M - Follow nearest sound contact
Shift+M - Follow nearest warship contact
CCIP

*link to follow shortly* edit: here ---> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108015

cdrake66
04-04-07, 09:48 PM
Beery,

I redid the text and numerics on the Imperial nomograph. They now have the same look as the Metric Nomograph you saw earlier.

You can view it here: http://hosted.filefront.com/cdrake66/1929340

If you like it, feel free to replace the original Imperial dds file.

Regards,
Chris

Old Dog
04-04-07, 10:52 PM
Hi Beery, just activated your mod via JGSME (may his tribe increase) and was just about to activate the Kosh sound mod when I got an alert that his mod would effect a file that your mod had already changed.
I hope that you and Kosh can get together and coordinate this as I would like to be able to use both mods.
Maybe you could include the Kosh sound mod in future versions of your mod.
I apreciate your patience.

Old Dog

Beery
04-04-07, 11:00 PM
Beery,

I redid the text and numerics on the Imperial nomograph. They now have the same look as the Metric Nomograph you saw earlier.

You can view it here: http://hosted.filefront.com/cdrake66/1929340

If you like it, feel free to replace the original Imperial dds file.

Regards,
Chris

Very nice! I've put it in the next version of the mod and credited you in the readme alongside Hildofr (I'm still using his menu_1024_768.ini file because it's a bugger to tweak and I've got a lot of tweaks in there already).

Every time I put out an RFB version I'll also release a metric conversion mod alongside it so that people can easily convert RFB to metric. I've put your metric nomograph in there. I think that's the easiest method - if players unzip the mod to the JSGME 'MOD' folder all they have to do is use JSGME to install the RFB mod and then they can install the conversion over the top of it - it should be as easy as two clicks. If they don't use JSGME it's a bit more complicated but it's still just a matter of installing the conversion mod over RFB. Should be a piece of cake.

Thanks for doing this - great stuff!

Beery
04-04-07, 11:10 PM
Hi Beery, just activated your mod via JGSME (may his tribe increase) and was just about to activate the Kosh sound mod when I got an alert that his mod would effect a file that your mod had already changed.
I hope that you and Kosh can get together and coordinate this as I would like to be able to use both mods.
Maybe you could include the Kosh sound mod in future versions of your mod.
I apreciate your patience.

Old Dog

I'll look it up. Not sure what a sound mod would conflict with - probably the music mute mod that I added to RFB. Anyway I'll check into it and report back here.

I'm back. Yup, it was the music mute mod that was conflicting. If you delete the Sounds folder and its contents from RFB *before installing it*, that will fix the problem.

Unfortunately I must have those files included in RFB though, because a lot of folks don't like the game's non-period soundtrack and we can't switch it off in the game options without losing all the gramophone and radio sounds too. The other problem is that sound files take up a lot of space in a mod and I've been asked to keep the mod a manageable size (and after the 150+MB RUb mod I have to agree with them). So sadly Kosh's sound mod will have to stay a separate download.

Hitman
04-05-07, 09:26 AM
I respectfully suggest anyway to include the "Real Diesel Sound" mod available in this same forum. It has the sound of a real Fairbanks-Morse engine, so it can't get more real than that :D

Also the ability to man deck gun in rough seas needs to be disabled ASAP:down:

E.Hartmann
04-05-07, 09:56 AM
I respectfully suggest anyway to include the "Real Diesel Sound" mod available in this same forum. It has the sound of a real Fairbanks-Morse engine, so it can't get more real than that :D

Come on I love that!

MAN THE DECK GUNS!!

Negative Sir! Seas to rough!

GET OUT OF MY WAY I'LL DO IT MYSELF!!!

BOOM
BOOM
BOOM
BOOM

Enemy Destroyed!

There thats how you do it you big wussie! :arrgh!:

Beery
04-05-07, 10:16 AM

I'll probably leave that alone. I have other ways of making people not want to use the deck gun, muahahaha!

akdavis
04-05-07, 10:21 AM

I'll probably leave that alone. I have other ways of making people not want to use the deck gun, muahahaha!

Can you remove the extraordinary gyro stabilization when using the deckgun optics?

Uber Gruber
04-05-07, 10:44 AM

:oHe's gonna tweak the reload times again.......Run Away!!! Run Away!!!:yep:

tater
04-05-07, 10:48 AM
Can you remove the extraordinary gyro stabilization when using the deckgun optics?

This would go a LONG way to making the deck guns more realistic. I have a feeling that's one of the reasons sub vs DD gunfights are as easy as they are for the subs. Tiny sub target, and sub is a perfect gun platform.

Beery
04-05-07, 11:18 AM

This would go a LONG way to making the deck guns more realistic. I have a feeling that's one of the reasons sub vs DD gunfights are as easy as they are for the subs. Tiny sub target, and sub is a perfect gun platform.

We weren't able to make the gun platform move with the boat in SH3 so I doubt it will be possible in SH4. No worries though - if the files are the same as they were in SH3 we'll be able to make it realistically useless by reducing the effectiveness to realistic levels and by adjusting reload times away from the 'in port non-aimed fire with ready ammo' values to actual 'on patrol aimed fire with a mix of ready and non-ready ammo' values. That is assuming I can find any info on submarine deck guns in actual combat use.

Beery
04-05-07, 12:17 PM
...if the files are the same as they were in SH3 we'll be able to make it realistically useless by reducing the effectiveness to realistic levels and by adjusting reload times away from the 'in port non-aimed fire with ready ammo' values to actual 'on patrol aimed fire with a mix of ready and non-ready ammo' values. That is assuming I can find any info on submarine deck guns in actual combat use.

Here's an example from (http://www2.xlibris.com/bookstore/book_excerpt.asp?bookid=455). It's a 5" gun similar to guns used on submarines of the period:

"0642- Command to "open fire" given 5"38 cal. Gun crew at stern of vessel, opening range 11,000 yards, deflection 493. Splash short and to right. Range increased to 14,500 and deflection left 5. Splash short and close in deflection. Range increased to 17,500 yards. Splash unobserved-over horizon. Range decreased by 500-yard increments.
0653- Order to "cease fire" given. Twelve rounds expended with no casualties. Several shots appeared close but range too great for accurate spotting."

So 12 rounds in 11-12 minutes. Then later we have:

0723- Command passed to 5-inch crew to "open fire." Range 13,500 yards and deflection 490. Several of our succeeding rounds fell close to target but great difficulty was experienced in spotting all overshots-splashes could not be seen.
0733- Sub [this is the enemy sub] ceased firing after expending 5 to 7 rounds. All shots were short. Sub resumed chase.
0734- We ceased firing after expending 13 rounds-no casualties and apparently no damage inflicted on enemy.

So 13 rounds in 11-12 minutes.

"0736- Our 5-inch again opened fire with range of 13,000 yards. We crossed target and one shot fell very close to sub's hull.
0737- Sub ceased firing and again turned into our wake and took up the chase. We ceased firing at this time after expending eight rounds without casualty."

So 8 rounds in 1-2 minutes. Why the discrepancy? Well we'll investigate that later. The gun is again used:

"0738- Sub again turned broadside to and opened fire for the third time. We immediately returned the fire and crossed the target at 13,500 yards. Two rounds appeared to score close misses. The sub fired approximately eight rounds at us and the closest hit between 500 and 800 yards astern.
0817- The sub ceased firing after our two close misses and immediately headed for the horizon on our port quarter. The total number of rounds fired by the sub was estimated at between 18 and 22.
0818- We ceased fire after expending a total of 38 rounds without casualty-either material or personal. None of our rounds was observed to have scored a certain hit and from all indications the sub retired undamaged."

So 38 rounds in 40-41 minutes.

There are some apparent discrepancies here. Let's examine them.

First, when the order to open fire is given, the gun needs preparing for action. This takes time. Clearly there was an incentive to get the gun firing ASAP (the vessel was taking fire), so this is the fastest that this gun could be fired at this time. We can conclude that 12 rounds in 11-12 minutes is the highest possible rate of fire for the first 12 rounds when using carefully aimed ranged fire with this type of gun.

The next fire is similar - just under one round per minute. We can assume the boat is firing carefully aimed and ranged shots.

When the gun is next fired the gun crew apparently achieve a rate of fire of one round per 7-14 seconds. Either the estimate of the time is wrong or our gun crew are at their most efficient, perhaps using ready-use ammo and firing as quickly as possible - perhaps less-well-aimed in an effort to scare the enemy boat away or in the hopes of getting a lucky hit with volume of fire.

In the final engagement the firing rate drops drastically - to less than one shell per minute. Nothing has changed - the Japanese boat is still engaging and our crew are returning fire.

Now a total of 71 rounds were fired in a minimum of 63 minutes (while the gun crew were under orders to fire). So 53 seconds per round. That is almost exactly what RUb/SH3 Commander modelled for Type VII subs. We need to see more info - specifically submarine info, but this is yet another confirmation that deck guns fired much less rapidly in actual combat conditions than they did in test firings.

Don't get me wrong - this is no basis for a deck gun nerf, but it does give some clues as to what we might find out about sub rate of fire.

Condor96
04-05-07, 12:37 PM
I dont know where to put this 7z file. I put in the mods folder but when i run JSME the file doesnt show so i can activate it. what do i need to do ? Thanx

cdrake66
04-05-07, 04:17 PM
I dont know where to put this 7z file. I put in the mods folder but when i run JSME the file doesnt show so i can activate it. what do i need to do ? Thanx
You need to extract the file first. .7z is an archive format much like .zip or .rar. Personally, I use winrar for this ( http://www.rarlab.com/ (http://www.rarlab.com/%29) ). Winzip may also be able to handle the 7z format, but I am not certain about this.

Regards,
Chris

Skweetis
04-05-07, 10:21 PM
Possible Bug?

When I have RFB1.1 installed, dive planes don't rig out correctly (at least on my Porpoise, not sure about others) they just tilt, and never extend. Without it, all is good. Something off in a sim file perhaps?

Anybody else notice this?

I can do some more extensive testing if you require, Beery, just say the word.

Cheers.

Beery
04-05-07, 10:34 PM
Testing and comparing against the stock game is always appreciated greatly, so anything else you can tell me would be great. I'll do some testing tomorrow and see if I can sort it out.

Actually I just took out a Porpoise for a quick test run. On my computer the dive planes rig out perfectly - extend out to 90 degrees and tilt down fine. I did two dives and two surface manoeuvres with her and nothing got stuck. What other mods are you using? If there are any that modify sub characteristics I'd say there must be a conflict there. If none, then I'd guess there's a corrupt file somewhere.

Skweetis
04-05-07, 11:26 PM
Testing and comparing against the stock game is always appreciated greatly, so anything else you can tell me would be great. I'll do some testing tomorrow and see if I can sort it out.

Actually I just took out a Porpoise for a quick test run. On my computer the dive planes rig out perfectly - extend out to 90 degrees and tilt down fine. I did two dives and two surface manoeuvres with her and nothing got stuck. What other mods are you using? If there are any that modify sub characteristics I'd say there must be a conflict there. If none, then I'd guess there's a corrupt file somewhere.

Let me test it further tomorrow, I'll give a report on Saturday.

Currently I also have enabled

Captain Midnights CBS NEWS Sound Mod
ParaB's tweaked air strikes
Dark Recognitionmanual
TELEMETER LENS 8 DGR
360 degree bearing plotter Imperial

When I enabled RFB, dive planes tilt boward at dive or depth change, but do not deploy/extend.

When I test, I will compare against Vanilla , then regressively test against the other mods above until I find the combination. It is consistent (at least on my machine). Regardless of this, good job and thanks as always for your hard work!

Condor96
04-05-07, 11:28 PM
Ok I got it now,, thanks

Skweetis
04-05-07, 11:58 PM
Nevermind, Beery. It was all coincidence. It seems that it is actually a Vanilla SH4 bug related to saving while submerged. When you load that submerged save, start a new game or load others (though I haven't nailed it down yet totally) your dive planes will in certain conditions remain retracted until you restart the game.

My bad, the timing just all coincided with removing RFB and starting SH4 again.

Now I'll test that out with vanilla only, find out how to reproduce it consistently and post in bugs thread.

Again, My apologies!

Cheers.

Ducimus
04-06-07, 02:27 AM
Just a Heads up Berry.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110807&page=2

To reiterate, this is just a GUESS on my part. Its definatly worth changing the date on your flotilla.upc file if you havent already.

Beery
04-06-07, 02:18 PM
Just a Heads up Berry.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110807&page=2

To reiterate, this is just a GUESS on my part. Its definatly worth changing the date on your flotilla.upc file if you havent already.

Instead of doing that I just don't allow Gatos before April 12th 1942 (which is when the first one went on patrol) in RFB. I also changed the date in Flotilla.upc to the correct date and I've adjusted the individual submarine start dates to make them more correct. But thanks for the heads up. :up:

But a commander's retirement is not determined by a boat's availability. If a boat is listed in the game data files as unavailable you just get given the option of getting a different boat. Retirement is just a factor of time served (or patrols undertaken) - you only get a random amount of time, after which you're retired to a desk job.

Beery
04-06-07, 02:28 PM
Nevermind, Beery. It was all coincidence. It seems that it is actually a Vanilla SH4 bug related to saving while submerged....

No problem. These things usually turn out to be Ubisoft problems. :)

E.Hartmann
04-06-07, 11:12 PM
Berry do somethng with the planes. My sub shot down 100 planes today and they still kept coming. I dove, I changed course, they still kept sending them after me. I got so bored I saved and let them kill me. God those endless waves SUCK!!!

E.Hartmann
04-06-07, 11:14 PM
Your files didn't do anything to ctrl F11 did it? I can't do screen shots now?

Beery
04-07-07, 12:25 AM
Your files didn't do anything to ctrl F11 did it? I can't do screen shots now?

No. I just took a screenshot while running RFB and it worked fine.

As soon as I can I'll do something about the planes. There are indeed far too many.