PDA

View Full Version : Is there a limit on # of Ships in Roster?

EmeAzul
04-02-07, 02:42 PM
To the GWX Experts out there, after a great deal of experimentation, I'm beginning to think there might be a limit on the number of ships in the country rosters. Let me describe what leads me to this conclusion. It's a bit long, so bear with me.

I added 16 modified ships to my clean working GWX 1.03 install. These were good ship mods or additions that I had used in GWX 1.02 with no problems that I'm aware of. All was fine with the install, except that the Museum kept causing CTD's on me when I got to the first UnitType 100 ship (Harbor Ships) in the American and British rosters. That comes up in the Museum after you see all of the UnitType 103's, 101's, 102's and before you get to the 104's.

At first I thought it might be a problem with the NDS Large Depot class in the American roster and/or the NSD Small Depot class in both the American and British roster. After going through an exhaustive effort to rule those ships out as the source of the problem, I ultimately started focusing on the number of ships in the rosters. At the time, I had 71 American ships and 78 British ships.

I took 10 ships out of each roster, so 61 American and 68 British, and everything in the Museum ran just fine. So thinking that 70 must be the magic "tilt" number, I raised the American and British rosters back to 69 ships each. The museum crashed again with that combination. Though trial and error, I eventually settled on 65 American and 68 British as the maximum number allowed, perhaps in combination. I know, it doesn't make much sense, but the museum works perfectly well with those numbers.

The other factoid is that I currently have 1,390 ships in all of the country rosters. Not sure if an overall number is a gateing factor or not, but this is where I stand at the moment. Maybe I've been exceeding an overall roster number that includes all Air, Land, Ordnance, Sea & Submarine entries. If this is the case, I can easily remedy that situation, by specifying fewer roster entries for each of the 16 ships being added.

The reason I bring all this up, is that I'm very interested in bringing over 17 of the SH4 Merchants that Uboat234 and Privateer are working on, but now I'm wondering if I'll be able to add them. Any help in understanding this potential roster limitation issue would be much appreciated. Cheers EmeAzul

bigboywooly
04-02-07, 03:03 PM
Well I currently have 77 in the Br roster with no CTD in museum

:hmm:

Madox58
04-02-07, 03:26 PM
Well, I'm not working on them.
I just answer questions and give advice and lessons.
Are you sure one of the ships you add is correct?
One messed up file and wham!!!

EmeAzul
04-02-07, 04:58 PM
Privateer, the 16 added ships appear to be OK. The last two, which now that I think about it, were not in my previous GWX 1.02 setup, were IamBecome's Empire Freighter (M35B) and Rowi's Armed Transport (NPTA). This last one has a more complex than usual equipment loadout spec for both German and British guns. But both ships show up in the Museum with no problems. In fact, my system is totally stable right now with all 16 of the new ships included. I'm just limited to the 65 American and 69 British ships, which I can live with if necessary.

Given BBW's info on the number of British ships he has in his roster, this still seems like a total mystery to me. In terms of total roster entries, I have 1,390 ship units, 147 airplane units, 282 Land units, 80 Ordnance units and 18 submarine units, for a total of 1,917 total roster entries. In the problem countries, I have 87 total American units and 100 total British units. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the help. Cheers
EmeAzul

Madox58
04-02-07, 05:09 PM
All I can say is to try adding one ship at a time.
Then if it goes wham, check that ships files.
I have run across a bad file that looked good.
It had a space inserted that you can't see!
Once I deleted the space it worked fine.

iambecomelife
04-02-07, 10:00 PM
It's strange that you mentioned this. I was working on my mod last night and experienced a crash after adding a brand new ship (it brought the total to 98 British units on my installation). I thought I might have added too many units but I eventually discovered an error in one single ship's cfg file. After correcting it everything was fine. I think you should keep checking those new ships for errors - particularly, those ten you removed before the museum started working again.

EmeAzul
04-02-07, 11:14 PM
Privateer & Iambecome, that's good advise, I'll keep on checking, since I hate the idea of being locked into a set number of ships. By the way, the 10 ship entries I deleted were just roster entries, not the additional ships themselves. The constant in all of my testing has been the presence of all 16 additional ships installed; what was different from one situation to the other was the countries into which the ships were installed. Thx again for the help. Cheers EmeAzul

Madox58
04-02-07, 11:16 PM
I don't think you can have a Roster entry without an actual ship?