PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] GWX Sound Issue

LukeFF
03-27-07, 08:23 PM
I went ahead and copied over my GWX sound files, since they are far superior to the stock ones. However, I noticed the medium flak sound (used with the .50 Cal, P02_$MGun_muzzle_flash, I believe) makes a crackling noise at the end. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a fix for it?

I'm using a SoundBlaster X-Fi, if it helps any.

LukeFF
03-28-07, 12:55 AM
On further review, this crackling sound happens with the stock sound as well. Anyone have any good guesses as to this one? The same type of thing seems to happen as well with torpedo explosions, except that the sound gets cut off. It looks (or sounds ;)) to me like there's still some audio issues that need to be worked out.

Anachronous
03-28-07, 07:58 AM
Playing the sound file and opening it up in a sound editor shows no signs of static at the end. Could it be your speakers or soundcard (If you have one)

LukeFF
03-28-07, 01:44 PM
Playing the sound file and opening it up in a sound editor shows no signs of static at the end. Could it be your speakers or soundcard (If you have one)

I'll do some more tweaking with my sound card, but so far I've yet to come up with a solution.

LukeFF
03-28-07, 02:30 PM
Okay, here's the strange thing: I put the GWX file back in, and sure enough I get the crackling sound when using the .50 cal, but the problem does not present itself when using the 40mm cannon. I'm starting to think this is a bug.

Günther Hessler
03-28-07, 02:51 PM
Try my soundpack.

The sounds are far better than gwx ones and are compatible to sh3.:arrgh!:

Look for the Thread: [REL]---> Ultimate Soundmod<----

LukeFF
03-29-07, 02:20 AM
I finally figured it out. It has to do with the Realistic Sound travel option, which still has problems.

modisch
03-29-07, 08:39 AM
I finally figured it out. It has to do with the Realistic Sound travel option, which still has problems.

Yah... I checked out the realistic sound travel for about.. 5 minutes and concluded it was junk.

the same time lag between a boom 8000 feet away and 500 feet away. If there's not going to be a scaling based on distance, I'll choose immediate sound over an arbitrary and poorly implemented delay.

-m

Probex
04-25-07, 07:27 PM
This realistic sound travel seems to delay the start of the explosions by whatever time it thinks, BUT it does not delay the END of the sample by the same amount. Therefore the further away the explosion - the more cut off it is. Pretty bad.
It also plays a fraction of a second of the beginning at the end of an effect. So, you fire a gun, the shot fades, and then your hear 1/10s of the beginning of the shot again, lol = crackle.

I will nose around in the files a bit to see if it can be modded.

`

LukeFF
04-25-07, 07:36 PM
This realistic sound travel seems to delay the start of the explosions by whatever time it thinks, BUT it does not delay the END of the sample by the same amount. Therefore the further away the explosion - the more cut off it is. Pretty bad.
It also plays a fraction of a second of the beginning at the end of an effect. So, you fire a gun, the shot fades, and then your hear 1/10s of the beginning of the shot again, lol = crackle.

Interesting, yes. Hopefully a fix can be made for this, because the option itself is a nice one to have. It just isn't working right at the moment.