PDA

View Full Version : @Ndrifter

gouldjg
03-27-07, 12:43 PM
Hurry up and release more tweak files god damn it man just do it :arrgh!: :arrgh!: :arrgh!:

Only joking,:lol: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate the time it takes to do this and will credit anyone whom has been involved in creating them.

Seriously though, I cannot move onto modding untill I at least know someone is going to produce work similar to SH3 commander random files, so I am just having to sit back and admire all the discoveries that are made.

I have my own personal taste and aspirations regarding what I want from this game now.

I also believe that there is so many people whom have discovered so much at a level way beyond what I could do.

So to all you guys whom sometimes get bogged down with hrs and hrs of pedantic and tedius work for the benefit of others,

We do appreciate you:up:

nvdrifter
03-27-07, 08:37 PM
Hurry up and release more tweak files god damn it man just do it :arrgh!: :arrgh!: :arrgh!:

Only joking,:lol: :lol: :lol:

I appreciate the time it takes to do this and will credit anyone whom has been involved in creating them.

Seriously though, I cannot move onto modding untill I at least know someone is going to produce work similar to SH3 commander random files, so I am just having to sit back and admire all the discoveries that are made.

I have my own personal taste and aspirations regarding what I want from this game now.

I also believe that there is so many people whom have discovered so much at a level way beyond what I could do.

So to all you guys whom sometimes get bogged down with hrs and hrs of pedantic and tedius work for the benefit of others,

We do appreciate you:up:

Thanks for the support. :D I do have my doubts about putting so much time and work into modding SH4 when we don't even know if the devs will ever really patch it correctly.

Ducimus
03-27-07, 08:53 PM
I have a question for gouldjg though.. oh master of all that is zone.cfg.

How do you increase the rate at which water is pumped out? What variable? My assumption its in the pumps or xxipumps block, just not sure of the variable to use.

How do you increase or decrease how fast repairs are done? WHere is that located?

This is key to fixing a SH4 annoyance :up:

nvdrifter
03-27-07, 09:43 PM
I have a question for gouldjg though.. oh master of all that is zone.cfg.

How do you increase the rate at which water is pumped out? What variable? My assumption its in the pumps or xxipumps block, just not sure of the variable to use.

How do you increase or decrease how fast repairs are done? WHere is that located?

This is key to fixing a SH4 annoyance :up:

Repair speed is probably hard-coded.. like in SH3. You probably have to decrease compartment efficiency like I did in my LRT SH3 mod to change repair speeds.

gouldjg
03-29-07, 09:59 AM
Ducimus

It looks like they have added the actual repair code in one of the files. It is finding this formular that is the key. I am currently working in Scotland and am not back home till the weekend of which I will be testing zones.cfg and searching with a hex editor to see what is new regarding crew efficiencies.

If i am not mistaken from the one day I got to play the game, it appears that flooding is no longer individiaully controlled as per damage repair team but more, the crew in that compartment which is flooding.

As a quick fix measure and until we start to suss it out properly, I would up the hitpoints on certain equipment and reduce the floatability factors of the sub compartments in the zones cfg. This should stop the sub sinking like a stone and give persons a better chance at sussing the thing out without dying too quickly.

I did some test but as soon as damaged, I was history before I could suss things out.

I think sub compartment settings in zones cfg can give a quick cheat relief whilst people test the flooding and damage without dying too quickly.

Hope this helps

At a later date, I think Ndrifter will start to look at crew efficiency and if I find anything that may be of use to him, I will let him know.

P.s. also look at flooding speeds in the compartment zones.cfg as this can have significant effects regarding how fast the sub sinks.

nvdrifter
03-29-07, 10:22 AM
Gouldjg and Ducimus, thanks for all of your modding contributions to SH3 and SH4. Your incredible modding knowledge is always appreciated. :rock::rock::rock:

Ducimus
03-29-07, 10:33 AM
Thanks gouldjg. Your knowledge in this area appreciated. :up:

gouldjg
03-29-07, 10:56 AM
No Probs

You both sussed a lot more than me regarding the sub damage model and sensors i.e. I could never pull of the long repair mod of which so many people admire myself included.

What you both and others deserve is, others tweaking and testing and reporting things that may be of use in the future. I know what it is like when it seems you have to do it all yourself as you were the last person doing it.

The one thing I have noticed with modding = someone can always add more to the work you have done, It is a question of making their lives hard or easy.

I like to make other modders lives easy = I get a better mod than the one I could do :) I find things and sit there for hours to find the potential. I just get sloppy in the QA department :cry:

Whilst I await that long awaited randomisation file (Hint hint hint) all I can do, is go back onto doing a simple sub damage model. At least the long repairs are added (I think).

I will post the results and findings so that others can then further improve on it.

Unfortuantly, I will only be doing my own bits and bobs and will not be joining any major modding team as per say. It is too time consuming and in some cases very restricting at times. Any work I release however will be freely avaialable for any modding team to pick up so long as no charges are made to the communities. That is to say, anyone whom is releasing a mod as freeware can freely pick up my work and take it to suit. No permision needed, just small credit upon release. I think that is fair.

Just to clarrify the areas most on my mind when investing in this game.

I want mutiple types of DD ai. One day I want it hard and the other I want it easy. I dont want to know what type of day it will be and be suprised when I get lazy. Mod needed = Randomisation file = More developed chaos file.

Will also tweak the turning rates of ships so none are the same Mod needed = Randomisation file = More developed chaos file.

Want yearly set DC = yet to suss the limits out Mod needed = Randomisation file = More developed chaos file

Want a decent sub damage model = Eventually I think we will get this though to be honest, I found I had more interaction with the sh3 one but that may be because I have not sussed it out yet. Mod needed = WIP

Assisted plotting = I think Observer has/had created one so if it is similar to what I made, I use will use his. Mod needed = None hopefully as Observer seems to have one already

Special effects = I really look forward to looking into the new things i.e. men bobbing in water. Now if only I could get them to appear at same time as lifeboats :rock: :rock: Mod needed = I better hurry up and get working on it.

I leave all other stuff in the hands of other modders unless I find new things out.

I promise to leave a trail of my work so people do not have to go over old ground when they look.

Alex
03-29-07, 12:10 PM
@ NVdrifter : I saw that some hours ago you created a thread where you told us that "Das_Boot_Moments" was your last contribution in modding SH4, I wanted to give you my thoughts on what you're doing but just had computer problems.... So sorry for the late reply. :88)

Mate, you told us you can't handle criticizing that is not constructive.... But you probably know already that people can act like total twats criticizing the work of others cause they're simply not able to do the job, and jealous of your modding knowledge.... So NV, I just want to tell you to try to be just comprehensive regarding this people that always come here to tell "hey, I don't like your job, man.... :-?" cause a large majority of us love your creative work, dude, so I wish you'll always keep sharing it on this site ! :rock:

Cheers ! :p