PDA

View Full Version : Guys.....

Radtgaeb
03-27-07, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I've had Silent hunter III for about a year and a half now, but I'm just now discovering the AMAZING-ness that is GWX.

One question though. I have a pretty beefy system, yet I still have some points were I hiccup. Why is that?

3.5 GHz processor
2 G DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7900GTX (512 MB DDR3 RAM)
Windows XP......

is this abnormal, or to be expected.

danlisa
03-27-07, 11:21 AM
Your system will run GWX at full settings (AA & AF + High Res) with no problems at all.

Where are you getting 'hiccups'?

The trick with SH3/GWX is that you have to let the graphics load. So when starting in port, do a 360 deg rotation while in port this will be stuttery but once they are loaded the game will be fine. This goes for all gfx in SH3/GWX, they need loading into the memory.

If you need more info, just ask.

Enjoy the GWX ride:up:

Radtgaeb
03-27-07, 12:06 PM
Thank you so much! I didn't see how that could help at first, but it did. heh, thanks a lot!

Primo mod, by the way.

Jimbuna
03-27-07, 02:26 PM
Had me bloody worried for a minute :o ....your graphics card is better than mine :yep:

Radtgaeb
03-27-07, 04:02 PM
AA and High Res?

How is this acheived? :huh:

Radtgaeb
03-27-07, 06:55 PM
Oh, and my "hiccups" were mostly in port *which I attributed to my cranking it up to 1028 compression* and the extensively long pre-patrol load time. Seriously, it was ungodly. I got up to go use the restroom and grab a Diet Dr. Pepper and it still was only 75 percent when I returned. :o

HW3
03-27-07, 11:37 PM
For AA you have to manually set it in your graphics card control panel since the sim does not use it.

danlisa
03-28-07, 02:20 AM
Oh, and my "hiccups" were mostly in port *which I attributed to my cranking it up to 1028 compression* and the extensively long pre-patrol load time. Seriously, it was ungodly. I got up to go use the restroom and grab a Diet Dr. Pepper and it still was only 75 percent when I returned. :o
Yeah, your 'hiccups' are due to the graphics loading, which we have established. It's also worth noting that you will get small 'hiccups' while at high TC due to the fact that SH3/GWX has to track all the traffic within a defined radius of your U-Boat, you can use this to tell that there are enemy vessel/planes about. Time for a hydrophone check?;)

Now, if you were at 1024 TC while in port, count youself lucky, most players can't even get upto 256 without stuttering.;)

As for the load times, well, this is to be expected, GWX has added so much more content to the basic game that there was always going to be some increase in load times. Nothing to worry about, just do as you did and go get a cuppa.:up:

The AA & AF question has been answered, just force them in your Nvidia control panel. I find it useful to set/save a profile for this (and other games)

There is a resolution hack which will allow you to go above the fixed 1024 x 768 res set by the devs of SH3. You can read & download that here - http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Display_Resolution
It can be a bit of a task to get it to work but will be worth it provided your system can handle the increase. There is some functionality lost in doing this but it is all explained in the link.

Enjoy GWX.:up: