PDA

View Full Version : [TEC] Flag editing

Prof
03-25-07, 03:39 PM
I've been working on new versions of the SH4 flags with double the resolution, more realistic texturing with some historical innaccuracies corrected.

However, to do a proper job of it I need to change how the flags are assigned. Some countries in SH4 have different flag textures for naval and merchant ships (Japan, UK, Germany, etc...) How are these texture assignments made? I would like to change some ships' flags and, if possible, add another flag type for Russia to allow a civil and a naval ensign.

I've had a look through most of the files in the \Data directory but not had any success.

There is a file called 'flags.dat' but it's 10MB and I don't know how to edit it. I've had a look with a hex editor but that got me nowhere...

Seeadler
03-25-07, 03:46 PM
There is a file called 'flags.dat' but it's 10MB and I don't know how to edit it. I've had a look with a hex editor but that got me nowhere...
Use Timetraveller's SH3 Unpacker
http://www.delraydepot.com/tt/sh3.htm

Prof
03-25-07, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I realised I could try that after posting the message...all it does is show some TGA versions of the default SH4 flags (which don't seem to get used at all). The DAT Unpacker doesn't show anything else in there, but the TGA files don't add up to 10MB!

bigboywooly
03-25-07, 04:04 PM
Try using Pack3d
Version 3 should be ok

You can extract all objects in the dat and replace with new ones

You can get pack3d here if you dont have it

http://files.filefront.com/P3dAllVersion7z/;6422266;/fileinfo.html

Prof
03-26-07, 06:12 AM
Thanks for the Pack3D link...very useful! I've unpacked the FLAG.DAT file and got a load of TGA/OBJ/MTL files out of it. I've had a go at editing some of the files (both in Notepad and Wings3D) but I've not found any reference to the texture which is applied to each flag.

Each country has two flag OBJ files (eg. American_FLG and American_FLGC). I'm assuming that one of these relates to the warships and one relates to the merchants (the flag models are identical). However, I still don't seem to be able to find any way of modifying the name of the texture to be applied to the flags.

Can anyone help me out a bit here?