PDA

View Full Version : [REQ] Longer battery life

Banquet
03-24-07, 01:42 PM
Would it be hard to mod longer battery life? I tested this in my last patrol and was getting about 5 hours at 2/3 and 7-8 hours at 1/3 before the battery was down to about 15% and I had to surface.

It makes patrols near Japan very difficult. In reality they were mostly operating at periscope depth during the day and charging the battery on the surface at night. Curently there is no way to do this in the game as the battery just doesn't last long enough!

If anyone can mod this to more realistic levels it would be great! :)

hyperion2206
03-24-07, 01:48 PM
Would it be hard to mod longer battery life? I tested this in my last patrol and was getting about 5 hours at 2/3 and 7-8 hours at 1/3 before the battery was down to about 15% and I had to surface.

It makes patrols near Japan very difficult. In reality they were mostly operating at periscope depth during the day and charging the battery on the surface at night. Curently there is no way to do this in the game as the battery just doesn't last long enough!

If anyone can mod this to more realistic levels it would be great! :)

Setting your speed manually to 2 knots will give you about 12 hours under warter, that should be enough IMHO.

Schlageter-JG26
03-24-07, 01:59 PM
So US subs did not have snorkels?

Krupp
03-24-07, 03:14 PM
[/quote]
Setting your speed manually to 2 knots will give you about 12 hours under warter, that should be enough IMHO.[/quote]

12 hours is not even remotely enough. Here's some stats from original diagram USN Fleet submarines manualthingie.

Maximum Time Submerged and Cruising Range vs. Submerged Speed Knots

knots--miles(peace-time)-- miles (war-time) --hours(peace-time) -hours(war-time)
2 ------73 --------------100-110 ------------36 ----------------55
3 ------69 --------------100-105 ------------24 ----------------38
4 ------55 --------------83 -----------------14 -----------------24
5 ------40 --------------64 ------------------8.5 ---------------14.5
6 ------30 --------------48 ------------------5 -----------------9
7 ------20 --------------31 -----------------2.6 ----------------4.8
8 ------14 --------------23 -----------------1.6 ----------------2.6
9 ------9 ---------------15 ------------------1 -----------------1.5
10 -----10 --------------X--------------------X-----------------X

In game, the Porpoise class can do submerged travel (with 3 knots) about 33 nautical miles in 11.5 hours. After that the recharging took only 1 hour (from 9% to 100% battery charge).

Something is biased, and without TT Tweaker, we can't adjust those I guess.

Sgian Dubh
03-25-07, 03:37 PM
Setting your speed manually to 2 knots will give you about 12 hours under warter, that should be enough IMHO.[/quote]

12 hours is not even remotely enough. Here's some stats from original diagram USN Fleet submarines manualthingie.

Maximum Time Submerged and Cruising Range vs. Submerged Speed Knots

knots--miles(peace-time)-- miles (war-time) --hours(peace-time) -hours(war-time)
2 ------73 --------------100-110 ------------36 ----------------55
3 ------69 --------------100-105 ------------24 ----------------38
4 ------55 --------------83 -----------------14 -----------------24
5 ------40 --------------64 ------------------8.5 ---------------14.5
6 ------30 --------------48 ------------------5 -----------------9
7 ------20 --------------31 -----------------2.6 ----------------4.8
8 ------14 --------------23 -----------------1.6 ----------------2.6
9 ------9 ---------------15 ------------------1 -----------------1.5
10 -----10 --------------X--------------------X-----------------X

In game, the Porpoise class can do submerged travel (with 3 knots) about 33 nautical miles in 11.5 hours. After that the recharging took only 1 hour (from 9% to 100% battery charge).

Something is biased, and without TT Tweaker, we can't adjust those I guess.[/quote]

Battery mod definitely needs a tweak here.

I was wondering the same thing. Even at 2 knots you can't stay under for the duration of a summer's day near Japan. Shoot, at these characteristics evena mildly aggressinve escourt could keep you down until your battery was dead.

joea
03-25-07, 05:52 PM
So US subs did not have snorkels?

No. Not during the war.

CCIP
03-25-07, 06:06 PM
I took a look at the propulsion settings.

I wonder if tweaking these propulsion values to resemble SHIII's mods closer (albeit keeping a higher max speed) might produce a more plausible result (even if not numerically accurate) :hmm:

CCIP
03-25-07, 06:23 PM
By the way, it seems the Porpoise has a significantly shorter (-25%) submerged range than the Gato - is that accurate?

Also, why is it that S-class has the greatest submerged range of all? (100miles at 5kt)
Sounds excessive to me!

CCIP
03-25-07, 06:55 PM
Okay, I've corrected the fleet boat battery ranges. Not sure what to think of the recharge times, but the submerged endurance is basically identical to your charts now.

Pending the confirmation regarding Porpoise and S-class performance, I can release it!

Banquet
03-25-07, 07:04 PM
CCIP, hope you can crack this! Here's some info I posted on another thread.. not sure if helps you much. I'm not sure of the S class submerged range, but it did have a top class submerged speed due to it's age (the Navy concentrated more on submerged speed over other features in WWI). The Gato certainly has the best submerged range in this data;

'The old Silent Hunter 1 manual has stats for a few of the subs;

Salmon;
85 miles at 5 knots submerged (it says in the notes 'battery capacity substantially increased' over previous subs)

T Class (not in SH4 I know - but this maybe an average the Salmon was increased over) - actually I think the Gar is a T class?
60 Miles at 5 knots submerged

Gato, Balao and Tench;
95 miles at 5 knots submerged

It doesn't give this info on the other subs unfortunately.'

CCIP
03-25-07, 07:11 PM
Well, the Salmon's substantial increase tells me that yes, Porpoise would have had a lower range. Excellent!

The only source on the S-class that I can find indicates 20 hours at 5kt = 100 miles. Seems way excessive (almost a third more than a fleet boat!) but I have no source to go by.

Otherwise I took the rest from the table cited here as I consider the fleet boat manual to be as good a source as I can get :yep:

Looking good! I think you'll be happy with my fix.

CCIP
03-25-07, 10:34 PM
Released as per figures provided from the Fleet Boat manual, hope this is what you wanted!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109120

Banquet
03-26-07, 01:05 AM
Brilliant, thanks CCIP! :)

Krupp
03-26-07, 07:03 AM
Released as per figures provided from the Fleet Boat manual, hope this is what you wanted!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109120

It sure is! :D Thanks!

castorp345
03-26-07, 08:36 AM
now, about the s-class...
:p

The only source on the S-class that I can find indicates 20 hours at 5kt = 100 miles. Seems way excessive (almost a third more than a fleet boat!) but I have no source to go by.

definitely seems excessive, but what/where was the source that gave those numbers?

i'm still hunting around for some reliable numbers, but there's precious little of value out there (that i'm finding) on this class of boats.

'sure would be nice to get 'em right though!

:sunny:

cheers
hc