PDA

View Full Version : TWO Deck Guns.... how to man them?

Schlageter-JG26
03-24-07, 01:14 AM
I'm still putzing around with whatever values I can get my hands on, and getting closer with some crew improvements for those who are not interested in having their crews die for no reason.

Anyway, stumbled across one of the Deckgun upgrades which is a 2x version of the 5.25". When I put my next test-sub to sea I realized that it DID have a fore and aft 5.25" battery. BUT... I can only man the rear station and not the fore, unlike the AA guns which I can swap back and forth between. I did make sure to set crew to both deck guns when I tried it.

Has anyone seen this in later career patrols? Are we not supposed to be able to fire the fore gun manually and be forced to rely on AI?

Roadsweeper
03-24-07, 04:17 AM
The fore gun is capable of being fired manually, I prefer my deck gun in front of the conning tower, not behind, and using the ingame upgrades I've moved the gun on the Porpoise to the front, so a front gun definately CAN be crewed.... altohugh like yourself, Ive had no success with 2 guns, seems to default to the rear somehow.......

Maybe its something in the interface? The AA guns have two buttons, one button for the front and one for the rear, would creating a 2nd button for the fore deck gun do the same job, and assign it to the fore gun crew slots or something??

Mush Martin
03-24-07, 04:23 AM
I'm still putzing around with whatever values I can get my hands on, and getting closer with some crew improvements for those who are not interested in having their crews die for no reason.

Anyway, stumbled across one of the Deckgun upgrades which is a 2x version of the 5.25". When I put my next test-sub to sea I realized that it DID have a fore and aft 5.25" battery. BUT... I can only man the rear station and not the fore, unlike the AA guns which I can swap back and forth between. I did make sure to set crew to both deck guns when I tried it.

Has anyone seen this in later career patrols? Are we not supposed to be able to fire the fore gun manually and be forced to rely on AI?
This problem is totally in common with sh3 two gun Uberboot mod and
drivable bismark mod
where is the two gun mod for sh4 ? I will look at it.

In Uber it works the same way ai crew man aft deckgun fwd deckgun is slaved to same target as aft
deckgun with invisible phantom crew and no seats for the missing gunners in F7

when surface fighting you can engage two targets by designating a target for gunners
with binos. and then manning fwd gun to engage a seperate surface target manually.

Schlageter-JG26
03-24-07, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I prefer the fwd position too. What I haven't found out yet is whether both guns dip into the same ammo store or if they have an independent supply from one another.

Mush Martin
03-24-07, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I prefer the fwd position too. What I haven't found out yet is whether both guns dip into the same ammo store or if they have an independent supply from one another.
I Cant remember but I believe the supply may be individual

will be in testing again later this eve will confirm and let you know.

where did you locate two guns for sh4 is it an In Game upgrade your doing?
MM

Schlageter-JG26
03-24-07, 07:50 PM
It's included in the game. If you look through the file... not sure if it is Weapons or Equip or Ammo.... but there are several versions of each gun. 3.5, 4.5 and 5.25 in Fore and Aft settings.

But there is an extra one for the 5.25 called 2x or Double. When I nulled the dates on it and loaded it, it has a 5.25" fore AND aft.

Mush Martin
03-24-07, 08:47 PM
It's included in the game. If you look through the file... not sure if it is Weapons or Equip or Ammo.... but there are several versions of each gun. 3.5, 4.5 and 5.25 in Fore and Aft settings.

But there is an extra one for the 5.25 called 2x or Double. When I nulled the dates on it and loaded it, it has a 5.25" fore AND aft.

Wikcked do your aft guns have user sights ?

Schlageter-JG26
03-25-07, 12:29 AM
Tested it out earlier. You can man the rear 5.25" like normal and the front gun is 100% AI. If you are broadside and want to save ammo, man the rear one yourself and hold fire while your fore gun crew goes nuts. Or just keep your conning tower between the rear gun and the target. Edit: And they have separate ammo caches.

Q: How do we designate to the gun crews which ship to fire on? Do they automatically lock onto the one you have 'locked' your periscope to?

BTW - the 5.25" is a WICKED gun. It rips some SERIOUS holes in enemy merchants! :yep::arrgh!:

Mush Martin
03-25-07, 05:52 AM
Tested it out earlier. You can man the rear 5.25" like normal and the front gun is 100% AI. If you are broadside and want to save ammo, man the rear one yourself and hold fire while your fore gun crew goes nuts. Or just keep your conning tower between the rear gun and the target. Edit: And they have separate ammo caches.

Q: How do we designate to the gun crews which ship to fire on? Do they automatically lock onto the one you have 'locked' your periscope to?

BTW - the 5.25" is a WICKED gun. It rips some SERIOUS holes in enemy merchants! :yep::arrgh!:
Ive been doing a whole bunch of otherstuff so I havent had time to
test it in sh4 there should be wo orders in menu
but best way is be on bridge look at desired target through binoc's and
then hit space bar to designate target for ai deckgunners afterwards
go to player deckgun and choose any target you please same one
or other wise.
in wo orders I havent looked but you should be able to have them aim
for closest warship or mechant.

[edit] Ive done patch and tried upgrade on startmenu and didnt locate
anything didnt see it in ingame menu didnt see a mod and couldnt see
it as an available upgrade ingame when scanning basic cfg.

where is two gun upgrade option specifically located I am lost.?

Schlageter-JG26
03-25-07, 02:25 PM
In the UpgradePacks file, have Word find "Upack5in25calDGDouble" for you and then set the dates to null. That's the double heavy guns.

I managed to find where the target designation SHOULD be in-game. From the TBT on the Conn there is a tab to designate target, but it DOES NOT WORK yet in the game. Just a vestigial key. I'm hoping they fix it with the next patch.

Mush Martin
03-25-07, 08:31 PM
I did find it and thanks will look at designation in tbt issue and see if its a
straightforward fix.
MM