l3th4l

Based on the original work by Pato
First converted by CaptainCox
Reworked and further tweaked by l3th4l

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/3602ey6.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/3601rx5.jpg

Improvements:

- resized both imperial and metric to 2048x2048 to help with load times
- completely redid the graphics to reduce the amount of pixelation and clean it up
- further corrected the angle
- removed maps.cfg file for compatibility reasons with SH4 v.1.2
- included a simple .cmd file to help with download size and update process

All credit for the original idea and the first version of the overlays goes to Pato.

Credit also goes to CaptainCox for being the first to
convert them and scale them to be used in SH4.

I took that work as a basic guide to create a new overlay from scratch while trying to reduce the file size for
quicker load times and increasing the sharpness and clarity of the overlays.

Cred also goes to "OneTinSoldier" for thinking about the DXT5 format that fixed the "Black Square Syndrome" for some ppl.

360 Degree Bearing Plotter for Silent Hunter 4 "METRIC" and IMPERIAL 1.4
DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://files.filefront.com/7418673 (http://files.filefront.com/7418673)

OLDER VERSIONS:
360 Degree Bearing Plotter for Silent Hunter 4 "METRIC" and IMPERIAL 1.3

Download Link IMPERIAL 360 DBP 1.3
http://files.filefront.com/360_DBP_IMPERIAL_131rar/;7193877;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/360_DBP_IMPERIAL_131rar/;7193877;/fileinfo.html)

Download Link IMPERIAL 360 DBP 1.2
http://files.filefront.com/360_BEARING_IMPERIAL_12rar/;7095508;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/360_BEARING_IMPERIAL_12rar/;7095508;/fileinfo.html)

Download Link METRIC 360 DBP 1.3
http://files.filefront.com/360_DBP_METRIC_13rar/;7096949;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/360_DBP_METRIC_13rar/;7096949;/fileinfo.html)

Download Link METRIC 360 DBP 1.2
http://files.filefront.com/360_BEARING_METRIC_12rar/;7095429;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/360_BEARING_METRIC_12rar/;7095429;/fileinfo.html)

pcelt
03-23-07, 02:01 PM
Very much like this tool but am not clear what the JSGME advice means re the installation.
Some clarification would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

CaptainCox
03-23-07, 02:13 PM
Basically use the "Generic Mod Enabler made by "Jaesen Jones" that runs "Jones Soft" for short "JSGME" get it here http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Install in the main SH4 directory and you should get a folder called "Mods" drag my "360 Degree Bearing Tool" (or any other mod for that matter) over to this folder and activate the "JSGME" exe and the rest is pretty self explainable really.

pcelt
03-23-07, 02:27 PM
Many thanks:up:

Ducimus
03-23-07, 02:29 PM
Awesome, i forgot what a crucial tool this mod is.

tedhealy
03-23-07, 02:50 PM
Many many many thanks:rock:

leadtail
03-23-07, 02:55 PM
Has the distance marking been converted from meters to yards?

CaptainCox
03-23-07, 03:28 PM
Nope I just used what was in SH3/GWX and thats Meters .... I guess Yards is a project for the morn ;)

Fercyful
03-23-07, 04:05 PM
thanks a lot for the mod!! really miss that from SH3 :up:

here using meters so no problem :|\\

:arrgh!:

RedHammer
03-23-07, 04:32 PM
Nice! :D This would help me alot in determine his bearing and maybe even AOB! :D

Thanks alot :D Both of you! :D

S!

RH

pcelt
03-23-07, 05:57 PM
Many thanks----quick query-there doesnt seem to be a file for the Baleo Sub?
Any particular reason ?
Cheers

Zantham
03-23-07, 06:06 PM
Been waiting for this one!! :D

VonStrahlen
03-23-07, 06:55 PM
Hello everyone. I just received my collector's edition and can now start playing.
I am really not known with subsims, although I did play SH3 sometimes.

Can someone explain me what this is used for?

Thanks a lot!

With best regards,
Herr Von Strahlen.

RedHammer
03-23-07, 07:06 PM
It is used to find the targets position relative to yours in Navigation map or Attack map, zoom close to your position on the map and you will see a 360 Bearing in of which the middle of it is your sub., With alot of aligning and work, you may also find the Targets course, and initially your targets bearing/AOB, one of the most crucial 3 things to calculate for your TDC to make a good shooting solution for you.

S! To all

Your friend in the Pacific

RH

Onkel Neal
03-23-07, 08:50 PM
Nope I just used what was in SH3/GWX and thats Meters .... I guess Yards is a project for the morn ;)

Let me know when the converted version is ready, I'll post this on the Subsim News.

thanks
Neal

walsh2509
03-23-07, 10:39 PM
A little help please , I've got that for SH3 and down loaded it for SH4, but its not showing in my attack map.

I put the application in the main folder and clcik on it, it gave me a mod folder. Like it said I dropped the map in the folder and ran the application, but nothing showed up. So after reading the read me for it, I made a sub folder in the mod folder, called it 360 and put the map into the new folder. I then hit the application again, and this time the folder showed up, I then moved to from left to right and when I did another map appeard in the main folder.

But in the game I can't see it ... a day or so ago I was able to track my torps in the attack map , but that went, will it have something to do with the fact that I can't see the torps when I zoom right into the map. Will that have an effect on this mod?

thanks ..

sofu
03-23-07, 11:31 PM
I need this STUFF !!!!!!!!!

very good +_+)b

CaptainCox
03-24-07, 01:48 AM
OK I updated the first post with new download links for both Metric and Imperial. Also added the "Balao" Sub, missed it yesterday. I hope all is OK now. If not please just post here and I try to correct it...its a bit early here in Germany and I just woke up to do this :p

nvdrifter
03-24-07, 02:46 AM
Excellent work CaptainCox. :up:

OneTinSoldier
03-24-07, 05:14 AM
Imperial Version.. YES! Thank you Captain Cox! :rock:

castorp345
03-24-07, 06:10 AM
excellent!
thanks CapitainCox!!

edit: except there seems to be something funny with the imperial files--while the original .dds files were 5kb each, and the metric .dds files were 5mb each, each of these imperial .dds 's are now 18mb [!] and additionally aren't recognized by any of my image software (including photoshop)...

edit2: they do work in game, however at the magnification level they appear at they are partially occluded by the edge of the screen...
would it be possible to have them appear initially at lower magnification levels?
also, regarding file size--what was the bit depth of the original image before converting to .dds? 24-bit should work, no? and what about rle compression? (or does that mess with the transparency?)

CaptainCox
03-24-07, 11:24 AM
Sorry that I did not answer before, been busy doing a "RADIO" mod...coming up in a few...

Anyhow ok, yea the Imperial are bigger cause they are simply bigger 1m=1.09361329833771 yr so I simply had to make the Alpha channel bigger in order for it to match the ruler in the game. To take away one step would not work I think I could try but later...So in short the files for Imperial are a bit heavier due to the actual size of the graphics.

Do you have the DDS plug in from Nvidia? you should be able to open them with that, I can. Regarding the converting and compression...man I CAN'T remember. I will have a look later. But basically its just using the Alpha channel.

castorp345
03-24-07, 12:17 PM
Sorry that I did not answer before, been busy doing a "RADIO" mod...coming up in a few...

no worries and 'am eagerly looking forward to your radio mod!

Anyhow ok, yea the Imperial are bigger cause they are simply bigger 1m=1.09361329833771 yr so I simply had to make the Alpha channel bigger in order for it to match the ruler in the game. To take away one step would not work I think I could try but later...

'So in short the files for Imperial are a bit heavier due to the actual size of the graphics.

Do you have the DDS plug in from Nvidia? you should be able to open them with that, I can. Regarding the converting and compression...man I CAN'T remember. I will have a look later. But basically its just using the Alpha channel.

'k, sounds good.
i don't have the nvidia plugin but will make sure to get it! ;)
('been using irfanview to view .dds files and ddsconverter to manipulate them in bmp format)
thanks for the tip and the mod!

cheers
hc

ReM
03-24-07, 01:14 PM
Lol,

this sim is not even a week old and already the handy tools start comin'in...

Thanks for your troubles, nice piece of work!

walsh2509
03-24-07, 02:59 PM
A little help please , I've got that for SH3 and down loaded it for SH4, but its not showing in my attack map.

I put the application in the main folder and clcik on it, it gave me a mod folder. Like it said I dropped the map in the folder and ran the application, but nothing showed up. So after reading the read me for it, I made a sub folder in the mod folder, called it 360 and put the map into the new folder. I then hit the application again, and this time the folder showed up, I then moved to from left to right and when I did another map appeard in the main folder.

But in the game I can't see it ... a day or so ago I was able to track my torps in the attack map , but that went, will it have something to do with the fact that I can't see the torps when I zoom right into the map. Will that have an effect on this mod?

thanks ..

Can anyone help, have I done it right ? should the 360 show even in sub school after install ?

For some reason sometime after I installed 1.1 I could not track my torps on the attack map.

Could someone please have a read of the above to see if I have installed it correctly or has anyone else have the same problem with the torp track disappearing on the Attack map ? and can't see the 360 either ?

thanks ..

RedHammer
03-24-07, 03:11 PM
You have to zoom close enough to your sub on the map. Shows up good on my game. are you sure you did it the correct way? I recommend using JSGME.

S!

RH

CaptainCox
03-24-07, 03:19 PM
OK I will try to do this step by step.

Get the JSGME if you don't have it already "Generic Mod Enabler " http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html

Run the EXE INSIDE your MAIN SH4 folder, it should create a "MODS" folder, if not install again (should do it at 1st try normally)

Put any mods you want (in this case the 360 bearing mod) into the "MODS" folder
and hit JSGME.exe (I have a shortcut in my Start menu) and you should see all mods you dumped in the "MODS" folder now just hit the "ADD" button in the interface and see how the stuff gets loaded in to the right window, when you loaded the mods you want, close. Now all should work as it should.

This a pic from my SH3 JSGME folder as an example
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/Untitled-1-2.jpg

Liszt_
03-24-07, 04:49 PM
doesn't this tool take a bit away from the realism factor? i mean did they have this sort of tool back then or rely on the manual plotting with compass, rule, protractor? :)

tedhealy
03-24-07, 05:45 PM
doesn't this tool take a bit away from the realism factor? i mean did they have this sort of tool back then or rely on the manual plotting with compass, rule, protractor? :)

You know your own heading so being able to draw relative bearings doesn't take away from realism. What you didn't exactly know was your own position on the map though.

CaptainCox
03-24-07, 06:07 PM
I did this cause I was so used to it in SH3/GWX. It gives me the bearing and rough distance at a glance, that stuff counts when doing a torpedo run inside the perimeter of a convoy.

submariner
03-24-07, 09:44 PM
I downloaded Imperial but my attack screen just has a big black square ?

Also, my DDS viewer shows a solid black image ?

Waterboy
03-24-07, 09:53 PM
I have the same thing. Just a big black square. (I used the JSGME to install the imperial version).

Any ideas?

walsh2509
03-24-07, 10:51 PM
I got the 360 working , I had a homer moment when installing. I thought that the folders were for a manual install and the map outwith these folders in the zip was for auto install witht the mod enabler,

DOH!:damn:

I miss read the install ..

Torcher
03-24-07, 11:38 PM
Metric worked fine. Imperial gives me a black (grey) square when zoomed in.
Used the Mod load software.

XP
AMD64 57
2 Gig Ram
x1950XTX
Porpoise Class boat
Also tried a Gato and same thing

And yes, it is a legal version bought from UbiStore

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 05:28 AM
Looking in to it now. Weird that cause here it works. Will update the 1st post with a new version ASAP!

rulle34
03-25-07, 05:55 AM
Hello everyone. I just received my collector's edition and can now start playing.
I am really not known with subsims, although I did play SH3 sometimes.

Can someone explain me what this is used for?

Thanks a lot!

With best regards,
Herr Von Strahlen.

Hello!
What is the difference between the collector´s edition an the "usual" one?
Just curious:D

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 07:08 AM
This mod is gives you a 360 degree bearing tool overlaying your sub when zooming in on the normal map or the attack map. It basically gives you bearing and distance to target by simply looking at the targets location in relation to your sub.

As for the editions of the game... :) that's pretty obvious, Normal edition= the game DVD, normal case and manual + keyboard hot key card. The collectors edition is simply, nice big case, game DVD + some other goodies that one don't really need unless you are a real fan :p check this link http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/B000MV8YRS/ref=dp_image_text_0/303-8909415-7252236?ie=UTF8&n=301052&s=videogames

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 07:19 AM
OK updated the 1st post with what I hope will work for all Metric/Imperial 360 Bearing Tool.

I changed to color in rgb and saved in a different format, now this made the files even heavier then before, I don't think it matters but anyway. Tried it on my rig and all seems to work just fine.

The problem with the scale of the Imperial version is still a problem as it cuts the screen when zoomed in...I think one actually have to do a new one in Adobe Illustrator or something to make it smaller and skip some of the outer rings, now that's a bit of work but I could look in to it later.

Another solution would be to add a MIP Map level above the ones in the file now (basically having the tool showing up at a zoom level before the one it showes up in now) something I have to play around with. Having big issues with the NV DDS tool as it seems very buggy, crashes every other attempt to save as DDS. Anyhow its beeing uploaded as we speak...whait for an EDIT! infront of the DL links.

SharpShin
03-25-07, 07:20 AM
Thanks CC,

They both work perfectly.

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 07:31 AM
That's nice to hear!!!. OK I will probably some time during the day here see if I can modify that Imperial version to show up on a zoom level above the current one.

Torcher
03-25-07, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all your work CC!

Unfortunately, the Imperial still does not work. It must be machine specific. I mentioned my specs earlier.

metric works so I'll use that and switch back to metric in the game. No biggy .... metric or imperial. They're both a unit of measure.

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 08:35 AM
That's just bizarre as both versions are saved exactly the same way, with the same RGB and ALPHA channel. The only difference is that the Imperial version is scaled to suit the scale in the game....:o. Beats me why that would not work. As i said tried it and just works here. Those files are basically having the same "channels" in terms of graphic set up as the original game file (the Submarine graphics in unmodified version). If some one else have probs, please post, because I can't figure it at the mo as to why this happens.

Just to be sure, have you unloaded the mod with JSGME and deleted from there and then draged over the new version in to the JSGME mod folder and reactivated? I guess you have but just to be sure.

Oh one more thing what res are you running the game at...maybe thats related, don't think so but anyway.

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 09:58 AM
I fixed the IMPERIAL zoom problem!, It now shows up on an earlier zoom level not cutting it at the screen edge.

It was not the actual graphic DDS that was the prob but a script that determines the steps of zoom you are allowed to do in map mode.

Still did not modify the graphics as it seems to work just fine (still can't figgure why a few guys get black squares)

Edited the 1 post with a new Download Link!
Enjoy!

castorp345
03-25-07, 11:17 AM
terrific!
many thanks!!
:D

Church SUBSIM
03-25-07, 01:09 PM
I just installed the updated Imperial version and am now gettting the black square issue as well. The inital release for the imperial worked.

I think this is a save issue when editing the files and not a computer specific issue (specs, cards, ect.)

** Update **

I took the graphics files from the initial release and placed them in the updated release and it now works (the new zoom levels are nice)

Thanks for this mod ... I forgot to mention that in the first post.

NonWonderDog
03-25-07, 03:18 PM
Well, the imperial one works for me, but the scale seems a bit off. I assume the 1500 refers to yards, but if I measure with the ruler it comes to 1.9 nm, or ~3800 yards. Shouldn't the imperial version just be 0.9144x the size of the metric version?

CaptainCox
03-25-07, 04:22 PM
Hm. that's a good one, math was never my strong side or Imperial measurements for that matter. What I simply did was to use the Metric bearing tool and scaled it until it hit with the ruler on the marking showing the for e.g. 800 on the marking and also measuring that with the ruler. It is simply a visual guide and I guess if some one would like to recalc and re size it be my guest. As I said before this work is not originally mine. I simply wanted it for myself and thought ppl might also enjoy it. So I simply converted it, no more no less. To make it perfect I guess one would have to make a new tool graphically and that's a bit of work in Adobe Illustrator or something.

Chiller1064
03-25-07, 06:57 PM
Works great for me! Thanks for getting this together for SH4.

Old Dog
03-25-07, 07:51 PM
Many thanks for your efforts Captain Cox.

Old Dog

teber
03-25-07, 10:35 PM
I loved this mod for SH 3 and was happy to see somebody converted it.

For some reason it is not working for me, I used the generic mod tool to install it.

I did not install the metric, could that make a difference?

thanks,

Teber

JackChen
03-25-07, 11:10 PM
Looks like a handy tool to check relative position to contacts. A big thumbs up ! :up:

CaptainCox
03-26-07, 01:03 AM
I loved this mod for SH 3 and was happy to see somebody converted it.

For some reason it is not working for me, I used the generic mod tool to install it.

I did not install the metric, could that make a difference?

thanks,

Teber

Are you sure you installed the JSGME in the SH4 main folder and dropped the 360 tool in the mod folder that JSGME created there ? Just asking cause it should just work. Some ppl have had graphical problems using the Imperial version (showing black square instead of the tool ) is that the problem ? Regarding the Black square thingy I still don't know as to why some ppl get this...

teber
03-26-07, 08:52 AM
Here is what I did :
1. Install SH 4
2. Run SH 4 and realized I forgot to patch so exited as soon as I could by clicking the exit button in main menu
3. Patched to 1.1
4. Played for a day wondering what is missing here, how did I figure out the bearing in SH3
5. Found the mod.
6. Installed generic mod tool into d:\program files\Ubi\Sh4 (I am at work, I forget the exact folder name but it was the same directory I installed the game into which default except I changed c: to d:)
7. "unrared" the mod into the d:\program files\Ubi\Sh4\mods directory
8. Ran the mod tool and enabled the mod by clicking a button to move the mod name from the left to the right in the GUI
9. Ran the game, tried both nav map and attack map at all zooms and it did not show up.
10. A quick glance at the install directory showed the .jpg that was in the RAR in the root directory d:\program files\Ubi\Sh4

Is there something else I need to do to enable the tool other than zoom in? I think I had to click on something in SH3 to make it show up but that was over a year ago and I could be wrong.

CaptainCox
03-26-07, 08:59 AM
I think the best is to unrar the file at your desktop and then drag the folder named "360 degree bearing plotter Metric/Imperial" to your mod folder in SH4. To be sure open the "360 degree bearing plotter Metric" folder and see that you don't have a sub folder that is called the same (happens to me some times) when you click on the "360"folder the next folder down should be "Data"

And no, just use your mouse wheel to zoom in.

Should work. Hope it helps.

NefariousKoel
03-26-07, 10:41 AM
My tool is off by a little over 1 degree. :cry: It's not a big deal but is it tweakable?

http://aycu20.webshots.com/image/13819/2003360485916948393_rs.jpg

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/14266/2003398779311115557_rs.jpg

CaptainCox
03-26-07, 10:49 AM
Hmmm...I think not, well I guess it is, but the axis of the plotter is set to 0 meaning square to the boat meaning 0 is along the length axis of the boat, at least in the channel its done in (that's in Photo Shop, totally straight 0-90-180 and so on). In order to do what you ask one would have to turn the Alpha filter so its not square anymore by 1 degree...I think that sort of tolerance is negligible and would also require a lot of fiddling for a pretty small adjustment. I wonder if the game also contributes to not being exact in this view...I mean its not a scientific nanometer measuring device we are talking about here :p

BBury
03-26-07, 10:57 AM
Is current drift a factor in this game? I know weather will heel the boat over but does the autopilot correct for current drift? Maybe that's why. Was there rough weather/wind when you took the screen shot?

jsotham
03-26-07, 07:39 PM
Hi:

I have used the JGSME tool as advised (made sure to put it in the SH4 root directory and put the 360 bearing file in the mod directory, then activate), and I cant seem to get the tool to appear on the chart in the game.

Is there a key that needs to be hit in order to activate it?

Thanks

castorp345
03-27-07, 06:28 AM
Is there a key that needs to be hit in order to activate it?

just zoom in until you see it. :)

BBury
03-27-07, 09:14 AM
I did some testing using the Imperial version on my system. Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm using 1024x768, 4x3 on a standard CRT monitor.
In the Navmap, the compass tool is right on.
In the targeting map the tool is off right about a 1/2 a degree. I checked all the cardinal compass headings.

teber
03-27-07, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the help, it was operator error during install. I had the extra directory in the mods folder that was causing the problem.

SH4->mods->some random dir name->The right dir
I moved the right directory to the mods dir and it works fine.

SH4->mods->the right dir

thanks,
Teber

Ivan Putski
03-28-07, 03:06 PM
Thank you CaptainCox. Puts

cdrake66
03-28-07, 11:47 PM
I wonder if I've done something wrong. I'm using the metric 360 tool (and I am using metric in game of course) but the range scale on the tool appears to be off. The outer ring on the tool shows 1500 meters but the ruler shows 1000 meters at this point. I'd post a screenshot but I'm not sure how folks are posting those lol.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Regards,
Chris

CaptainCox
03-29-07, 12:57 AM
Hmmm sounds strange that. If you can see the bearing tool then it should just work. Its just a static overlay (using the Alpha Channel) like a picture if you will, where all but the bearing tool is transparent. So it should not change the scale.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/1500.jpg

What resolution do you run there...might have something to do with it, but don't think so.

To upload a picture you should use a "image hosting site" like http://Filefront.com or http://photobucket.com/ make a account and start upload your stuff, then use the url link under your image given by the hosting site and paste that in your post. Check by using "Preview Post" if it shows OK.

cdrake66
03-29-07, 12:37 PM
Ok, here is what I have going on:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/cdrake66/sh42007-03-2821-29-28-23cropped.jpg
(http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/cdrake66/sh42007-03-2821-29-28-23cropped.jpg)

I didn't consider my game resolution. I'm running 1920x1200. I'll try a non-widescreen resolution and see what happens.

And thanks for the image posting tip!

Regards,
Chris

cdrake66
03-29-07, 01:15 PM
Well, I'm at a loss. I tried 1024x768. Same problem. I re-downloaded the 360 - metric mod and reinstalled it to JSGME and reactivated it. Same issue - scale is off. I thought perhaps my ruler might be wrong so I tested it against the map scale; it's on the money.

So far I have only tested this on the Porpoise class sub. I'll try a different sub and see if I have the same issue.

Regards,
Chris

CaptainCox
03-29-07, 01:15 PM
Hm-mm, I wonder if your res is the crook here... I see what's going on there, but really beats me man! But the res should not change that. You sure you did not install the Imperial or something...I will upload the Metric again here just to be sure

http://files.filefront.com/Degree_bearing_plotter_MeCrar/;7069601;/fileinfo.html

That's directly from my "MODS" folder in game! ( I had to rename the .RAR in case you wonder)

EDIT!!! Posted this after your last post IGNORE the comment about "RES"
Nothing to do with subs man! this is just weird if it don't work!

cdrake66
03-29-07, 03:57 PM
No Luck. I downloaded the copy from your own active mod and I still have the range error :) I have no idea what is going on, this is certainly very odd.

Can I ask what you are using to edit the .dds files? I thought I might try to rescale these to get them working on my system. I tried the DDS plugin for GIMP, but it reports an unexpected EOF and can't open them. I then tried the plugin for Paint Shop Pro, but it simply reports that the plugin can't read the requested format.

At any rate, this isn't a major deal, the real benefit of this tool for me is the quick reference bearing it gives me. It would be nice to have the range accurate, but I can use the ruler for that.

Regards,
Chris

Edit: I just fired up SH4 on my laptop (running Win XP - I run Vista on my Desktop) just to see if perhaps the bearing mod would scale properly on a different computer. It has the exact same problem. 1000 meters at the 1500 meter ring on the mod. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me imagine what. Install SH4, JSGME, 360 mod, enable, and play.

ryuzu
03-29-07, 08:06 PM
No Luck. I downloaded the copy from your own active mod and I still have the range error :) I have no idea what is going on, this is certainly very odd.

Can I ask what you are using to edit the .dds files? I thought I might try to rescale these to get them working on my system. I tried the DDS plugin for GIMP, but it reports an unexpected EOF and can't open them. I then tried the plugin for Paint Shop Pro, but it simply reports that the plugin can't read the requested format.

At any rate, this isn't a major deal, the real benefit of this tool for me is the quick reference bearing it gives me. It would be nice to have the range accurate, but I can use the ruler for that.

Regards,
Chris

Edit: I just fired up SH4 on my laptop (running Win XP - I run Vista on my Desktop) just to see if perhaps the bearing mod would scale properly on a different computer. It has the exact same problem. 1000 meters at the 1500 meter ring on the mod. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me imagine what. Install SH4, JSGME, 360 mod, enable, and play.

I didn't bother to mention this before, but I get a similar problem with the Imperial version...

My first thought was something to do with scaling - I've got a widescreen monitor (1440x900 native res) and I'm running the game at 1280X960. Just like you my units don't line up with the ruler.

I haven't really looked into to it, but if I remember I'll have a bit of a dig tomorrow.

r.

CaptainCox
03-29-07, 10:43 PM

Regards,
Chris

Yup I think you are doing it right, as you see it, means its loaded...Just woke up here and I am off to work, but I will do a re-size now, just any size, try that and see if its still showing the "SAME" measures (will still be wrong, but hopefully showing a different mesure) if its different then we know at least that the size is the prob. Give me 5 min and I will post here...

EDIT: OK this is what you do, download the file (only 1) unload the 360 mod in JSGME, open your "MODS" folder in the SH4 main folder and go to the "360" mod, keep going until you see all the sub names in the "Submarine" folder, drop the new "NSS_Porpoise_shp" in the "NSS_Porpoise" folder, it will ask you if you want to overwrite, go "yes", now load the "360" with JSGME and start the game, load up a warpatroll or something and chose "Porpoise" class, see if it has changed the measurement ATALL!!!.

Download test file: http://files.filefront.com/NSS_Porpoise_shprar/;7074468;/fileinfo.html

If you want to try this your self: I use Photoshop CS3 with the NV DDS Plug-In.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

Just use: Image/(go to)Image Size/"Type in the size you want"/File/(Go to) Save as/(chose)D3D DDS (Save in 4:4:4:4 ARGB 16bits)

cdrake66
03-30-07, 12:01 AM
It is definitely different; and, rather than being off by ~500 meters it is now off by only ~100m.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/cdrake66/sh42007-03-2921-39-32-68.jpg

I have to work early tomorrow so I can't try to modify this tonight. I'll see if I can find something I have that can open these .dds files successfully. I really appreciate your help figuring this out CaptainCox. I'm glad it is simply a matter of finding the rate scaling for my systems. I'm really puzzled why my computers require a different scale than yours (and everyone else who has downloaded this mod).

Regards,
Chris

Shipwreck
03-30-07, 12:21 AM
Hi guys, first I like to say thanks to all that do this kind of stuff. Guys like y'all make the game fun for me. :up:

I was reading the game manual about the RULER for map tools, its on page 60 in the english manual, anyway the last paragraph tells of the "margin of error" in the ruler. Something about not give a percise measurement.

Just trying to help :oops: , I hope it will. I don't know much about this stuff.

SW

CaptainCox
03-30-07, 12:54 AM
PHEW! at least we know whats causing it now. As i don't have a wide screen its hard to test this for me. Why don't you fiddle around a bit and release it as a Wide Screen version or we just add it to this thread.

cdrake66
03-30-07, 10:18 AM
So far I have not been successful at viewing or editing .dds files. I finally have Adobe Photoshop w/ plugin opening the files. But all I get when I open the file is a single blank white layer. I haven't given up on this yet though, if I figure out how to view and edit these .dds files I will certainly post my widescreen-compatible files for others to use. Regards, Chris

CaptainCox
03-30-07, 10:25 AM
PMed you. Did you ever work with Photoshop before? if not check your mail box ;)

cdrake66
03-30-07, 10:28 AM
I don't have the full on Photoshop. I meant to say that I have opened the file in Photoshop Elements.

CaptainCox
03-30-07, 10:33 AM
Oh oh...never used that man...basically you see only white because the actual "360" tool is in the Alpha Channel, and i don't know if you can see the channels in "Elements" look if you have a window called "Channels" or...you could also simply try to re-size the image and save it using the DDS plug in in 4:4:4:4 ARGB (16bit) format. and put the saved file in the MODS folder and see if you see any difference.

BBury
03-30-07, 11:09 AM
Captaincox, I was looking at the Imperial version and it is off 0.5 degrees in PhotoShop. It needs to be rotated 0.5 CCW. I don't know if this will effet the Nav map view since mine was good in that view and only off in the Target Map view. I'll do some more experimenting.

CaptainCox
03-30-07, 11:30 AM
Cheers man!

cdrake66
03-30-07, 05:10 PM
I got it! lol

I never managed to edit the .dds files directly but I found a little freeware program (DDS Converter v2.1) that allowed me to convert them to targa format. Then I was able to resize each .dds file to the proper scale for my widescreen systems with Paint Shop Pro. Then back to the DDS Converter to convert from targa back to .dds. It worked like a charm.

The modified files can be downloaded here http://files.filefront.com/7082677

CaptainCox, if you want to incorporate these files with your download, please feel free to do so. I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help. I checked the Imperial bearing mod and it has the same scale problem as the metric. I will rescale that for widescreen and post it as well.

Regards,
Chris

Jeffg
03-30-07, 06:44 PM
I just installed the imperial version and I am getting the big black square also in the attack map,has the file been fixed?
Jeff

Jeffg
03-30-07, 07:01 PM
Just a follow up I reinstalled with Generic Mod Enabler Application and when I went into the attack map it was just like before I installed the map.I than zoomed in and at 400 m became the black square.
Jeff

dlpayer
03-30-07, 08:43 PM
I installed the imperial version with the Mod Enabler and also get the big black square when zoomed in.

OneTinSoldier
03-30-07, 09:23 PM
I'm pretty certain I know why people are getting the Big Black Square!

The Imperial Bearing Tool was working fine for me when I was using an ATI X800 XT video card. I recently upgraded to an X1950 Pro AGP card, and then I got the big black square.

So, I decided to have a look at the compression type that the .dds(DirectDraw Surface) files were saved with. DDS files support various types(or levels if you prefer) of DXT compression. I opened up one of the files with DXTBmp, which shows up at the top the type of DXT compression the file is saved with. The Bearing Overlay Tool is saved using an old type DXT of compression, DXT 444-4 16-bit, so I suppose it makes sense that an older video card doesn't have a problem with that.

Stock SH4 has it files saved using the DXT5 type of compression...

Much newer and better than the old 16-bit compression types, and I imagine it's a 32-bit type of compression.

CaptainCox, what are you using to do your work? Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin? Whatever it is you probably get a choice of compression type to save the files in. I know the Nvidia plugin for Photoshop has it. If not, Martin Wright's DXTBmp(just search Google) will allow you to do so. There are probably other utilites that have that capability as well. Could you please save these in DXT5 compression an re-upload? I don't know if it would make any difference, but you might want convert into .dds and save with DXT5 compression using the original .tga file(or whatever file type it was) you worked on.

I am about to convert the current DXT 444-4 16-bit files I have from your download into the DTX5 compression type and see what happens, but if I were a betting man I would bet that will fix my black box problem.

EDIT - I just had another look at the files(I haven't converted them to DXT5 yet), and I just noticed that the filesize for the one for the Balao is quite a bit smaller then all the others, 8.63 MB's instead of 34.5 MB's. Unless I'm mistaken, it appears that it's comprised of 1843x1843 pixels, whereas the ones for all the other subs are comprised of 3685x3685 pixels. Is there some reason for the special pixel resolution for the Balao?

Cheers

NonWonderDog
03-30-07, 10:56 PM
Ahh... that might explain the scale issues. It would certainly explain why nothing I have can open the dds files without crashing.

OneTinSoldier
03-30-07, 11:10 PM
Well, I would have lost that bet. I converted it using DXTBmp and instead of a big black box, I got a big speckled black box(mostly speckled, very little black). I tried opening the DXT 444-4 16-bit type file in Photoshop and I get an error message...

"Could not complete your request because of a problem with the file format module interface."

I have the DDS plugin installed for Photoshop and I have used it to convert some SH3 mods that were in .tga format into DDS DXT5 format for SH4, see here...

RetroNavMapTools - Jiims NavMapTools - Aces Colored Menu Bar (Combined) (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=109170)

So I know Photoshop normally works with the DDS plugin. If I'd have had the original .tga file to convert from I 'think' it would have worked. Photoshop with the plugin is choking on this DXT 444-4 16-bit type file tho, that's for sure.

EDIT - I have another idea. If it works out I'll be back!

OneTinSoldier
03-30-07, 11:36 PM
Ahh... that might explain the scale issues. It would certainly explain why nothing I have can open the dds files without crashing.
Just to let you know(for giggles), DXTBmp can open all the DXT crap, lol. Here's the compression types DXTBmp works with...

ACE DXT1 Texture

Extended Bitmap Types:
256 color
DXT1
DXT3
DXT5
32-bit 888-8
16-bit 444-4
16-bit 555-1
16-bit 565

DDS Types:
256 color
DXT1
DXT3
DXT5
32-bit 888-8
24-bit 888
16-bit 444-4
16-bit 555-1
16-bit 565
15-bit 555

You can use it to open a Targa(.tga) file and convert it into one of those formats, although I usually use Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin.

Cheers

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 12:10 AM
Morning guys...just woke up here (7:00am) :huh:
Tried with the DXT5 ARGB (Interpolated Alpha)
Can some of you guys with the black square syndrome try this out please
Link:http://files.filefront.com/360_degree_bearing_plotte1rar/;7085280;/fileinfo.html (http://files.filefront.com/360_degree_bearing_plotte1rar/;7085280;/fileinfo.html)
Its the metric version, if this works I will also convert the Imperial

And if this works a big thanks to OneTinSoldier!!!!

I will also look in to the Balao if this works...like I said just woke up so all is a bit slow at the moment :p

And yes, I use PS CS3 and the NV DDS Plug-in

OneTinSoldier
03-31-07, 12:12 AM
Well, what I've tried to do now is...

1) Used DXTBmp to convert the image into a Targa(.tga) file

2) Open the file up in Photoshop and use the Nvidia plugin to try and save it in DDS DXT5 type format.

But I get an error, "Image width and height must be multiple of four." It looks that at 3685x3685 it's a multiple of five, not four. There's a number of different settings in the Nvidia DDS plugin and I've tried playing around with quite a few of them but I haven't gotten around the problem.

This image file is one strange bird. I need a real image manipulation expert to explain what's going on with it! Hehe.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 12:20 AM
I had that to when I was doing this some week ago...can't remember now how I did it. Basically just opened the .TGA from the SH3 360 bearing tool, dragged that over (Alpha Channel) to the already opened SH4 "NSS_Balao_shp" or what ever, re sized it to fit the "360 tool" and that was it. Saved all as 4:4:4:4 and it worked. But it seems that DXT5 ARGB (Interpolated Alpha) also works, so if it works for you guys that's it !!!!
Again the Link is
http://files.filefront.com/360_degree_bearing_plotte1rar/;7085280;/fileinfo.html

OneTinSoldier
03-31-07, 12:26 AM
Good morning, CaptainCox to the rescue! Woot!

The new metric version works here. No more big black box! :up: :rock:

And yeah, the file is kind of a strange bird, don't you think? Glad you're getting it worked out. :)

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 12:30 AM
You!!! saved this man!!! congrats!!!

Ok I will eat some breakfast here and after that upload the Imperial version 1.1 as well.

Still we have the prob with the widescreen...but maybe we find a solution during the day.

Again thanks OneTinSoldier!

OneTinSoldier
03-31-07, 12:38 AM
You're welcome CaptainCox! :D Thank you! :yep:

I look forward to the Imperial Version!! :cool:

Cheers :()1:

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 01:22 AM
OK guys fixed and uploaded! i also added some more "zoom levels" so that the tool shows up earlier.

For the guys with the wide-screen problem open the "Data" folder in the "360 Bearing Tool" folder and open the "Menu" folder and keep going until you see a document called "Maps" open with "Notepad"

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/res.jpg

See if changing the res here will do something for you. Its a long shot but worth a try.

Again Thanks goes to "OneTinSoldier" for thinking!!!

EDIT! regarding the error "Image width and height must be multiple of four" or something like that, I got that to converting the Imperial...I simply resized the "CANVAS" not the "Image" and got it working. That's why the Imperial is heavier then the Metric version. Basically you are just resizing the "transparent "area, not the tool itself here.

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 01:30 AM
Well, DXT5 textures are supposed to be sized by powers of 2. It seems that some peoples' hardware doesn't care, but mine seems to scale it up to the nearest power of 2.

GIMP won't even let you save a non-power-of-2 image in compressed format. I can now open the new metric images without crashing things, but the GIMP won't read anything out of them except 10 blank mipmaps.

Actually, I realized I had these files installed with GWX, so I made my own version in the middle of a 2048x2048 DXT5 texture. It works perfectly for me, and *shouldn't* have scaling issues on other hardware. I'll upload it somewhere if CaptainCox has no objections, but I only have it in yards right now.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought you were done for the night. I'll see if your new files work for me.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 01:32 AM
Please do, if this works also for you, then we are all go I think.

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 01:52 AM
Well, my SH4 doesn't even start if I use your files. Nor can I open them in GIMP to take a look (empty mipmaps again).

My files are only 5 MB each, so I don't really know what's going on with the Nvidia plugin. I rotated the image that -0.5 degrees and centered it, too, but although it's oriented a lot better in the image file it's still a bit off in the sim.

Here's the link. It wouldn't take me too long to do the same thing in meters, although I'd bet no one would be able to tell the difference.

http://files.filefront.com/Submarine_Bearing_Tool_Yasrar/;7085974;/fileinfo.html

(I'll have to keep the 30 character limit in mind, next time I title an archive...)

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 01:55 AM
WOW plain wierdness!!!. I have no clue as to why this would not even start your game man! WOW x 10. Anyone else have problems like this?

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 02:01 AM
I think it's because my 6600GT can only do 2048x2048 textures max. Yours was bigger than that, and my computer got confused. It just hung at the first loading screen, before it even loaded the main menu. :-?

Or is it a max of 4096x4096? I always forget.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 02:03 AM
Well your stuff works just fine here, but the scale seems a bit off or ?
Or was this just a test?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/messure.jpg

BlackSpot
03-31-07, 04:57 AM
No more black square for me :up: Using imperial. Thanks :p

OneTinSoldier
03-31-07, 09:04 AM
Yep,

Using the new Imperial 1.1 version here and it works now at all Zoom Levels that it's enabled for with no big black box! :up:

Interesting tidbit of info:

The fellow that first made this mod for SH3 was a user with the nick 'Plato' on the Ubi SH3 forum. He made a 1500 meter version and a 3000 meter version. People with certain ATI cards(or maybe it was all ATI cards) had problems with the 3000 meter version. I can't remember which, but it was either that it showed up as a black box or it didn't show up at all. I think it was the black box.

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 10:07 AM
Well your stuff works just fine here, but the scale seems a bit off or ?
Or was this just a test?

OK, now I have no idea. It measures ~0.75 nm from center to edge for me, which is real close to 1500 yards. I have no idea why the scale would be off for anyone else *this* time. All I did was take the original SHIII metric version, double it in size (so it wouldn't alias), rotate it -0.5 degrees, and size it back down to 45.72%. It should be 91.44% the size of the original metric one, so if the original metric one was in meters, this should be in yards.

I'm not using your extra zoom levels, though. Maybe they aren't scaling the sub image correctly?

EDIT: My image should be scaled to 2 meters per pixel, just like the original. I measured, and there are ~47 pixels per hundred yards on the scale, just like there should be. I don't know how to make it show up any more accurately.

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 10:28 AM
What it looks like over here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/KnowNothingBozo/scale.jpg

Keeping in mind that 0.7 actually still shows up at 0.65, it's if anything scaled a wee bit too big. The cursor changes from 0.7 to 0.8 just as I move it across the 1500 yard mark. I'll see what it looks like with a metric ruler.

EDIT: Measures ~1.42 km from center to edge in metric. It looks like it's off by ~50 yards over 1500. That's not really that bad. I guess I could redo it and scale it to 98% (measured in GIMP using 2 meters per pixel it comes out to 1530 yards), but it wouldn't help your problem with it. I'm stumped.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 10:35 AM
Ahhh I see what you mean, I scaled it so it shows up at 1500 nm as the ring shows "1500". I thought it would be confusing to scale it in yards, I guess one could also do it like you do but then have to consider that the tool is then showing yards at 1500 not nm

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 10:38 AM
The fellow that first made this mod for SH3 was a user with the nick 'Plato' on the Ubi SH3 forum. He made a 1500 meter version and a 3000 meter version. People with certain ATI cards(or maybe it was all ATI cards) had problems with the 3000 meter version. I can't remember which, but it was either that it showed up as a black box or it didn't show up at all. I think it was the black box.

Cheers for that, well then "Plato" should have all the creds here. Thanks man!!!

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 11:30 AM
I found the original 3000 meter version archived on archive.org here:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://venus.walagata.com/w/patricioz/SH3_Bearing_Overlay_3.0.zip

I'll convert these to SH4 now. They should be up by the end of the night. (US Eastern Time) This should make it MUCH easier to plot things with imperial measures; no more converting between yards and nautical miles.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit a metric version on a 4096x4096 texture, though, and my card can't do textures bigger than 4096x4096.

CaptainCox
03-31-07, 11:35 AM
Thats Cool man, congrats on fixing it in the end ;)

cdrake66
03-31-07, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit a metric version on a 4096x4096 texture, though, and my card can't do textures bigger than 4096x4096. It should fit. I had to increase CaptainCox's metric mod by 55% to get the scale right on my widescreen (1920 x 1200) systems. That wound up with a canvas size of 35yy x 35yy as I recall. I had to increase the canvas to 4096x4096 to successfully convert it back to .dds with DDS Converter 2.

You can take a look at what I wound up with here: http://files.filefront.com/360_Plotter_Metric_Widerar/;7082677;/fileinfo.html

Regards,
Chris

NonWonderDog
03-31-07, 06:47 PM
Yep, it actually came to ~4000x4000, just enough room. I finished them about 6 hours ago, but I had to run off and do some 3D modelling for a term project (the Corsair's wings, in case you didn't know, are an absolute bitch to model). I'll upload the new tools now and start a new thread.

CaptainCox
04-01-07, 12:27 AM
Cheers NonWonderDog ! What do you study there as you can build CG stuff in school?. I learned "Alias" way back when i studied "Automotive Design"...still use it sometimes, but we got pros doing that for us normally.

Anyhow i got some pretty embarrassing stuff here, but its fixed and uploaded.
I noticed yesterday that you could not see the "Trajectory" and the "Torpedo Icon" using the latest version of the 360 DBP.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/TORPEEDO.jpg

But its fixed now as I said, sorry for this! I guess I overlooked it for some reason.

I also corrected the angle by 0,5 dgr, so all (knock on wood) should be just hunky dory now.

1st post updated with the new and I hope last version!

NonWonderDog
04-01-07, 12:57 AM
I'm studying aerospace over here at Michigan. I'm taking a class on CAD/CAE, and we get to choose our own term project. So, we just chose something silly--slapping the Corsair's wing's on a Hellcat and throwing it in CFD. :)

What was preventing the torpedo icons from showing, by the way?

CaptainCox
04-01-07, 01:43 AM
Nice going man, that sounds like you gonna have a pretty cool job later on, congrats!

It was the RGB "mask" that I forgot to implement, so basically the Alpha blocked the torp and the trajectory out.

yllekm
04-01-07, 02:11 AM
CaptainCox - one small request:

Can you add in the sub icon from the orginal *shp.dds files? Doing this would make the transition to the bearing image a little smoother - the sub icon wouldn'tt disappear, the bear circle would just appear around it (rather than totally replacing it).

CaptainCox
04-01-07, 02:15 AM
Oh dear...just finished breakfast here. let me make some coffee and come back in an hour and I guess it will be uploaded :p

I planned on just chilling today but what the heck...

CaptainCox
04-01-07, 03:56 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/360DBP.jpg

Ok its done.
Will update the 1st post in 1 min.!

jerryt
04-01-07, 03:47 PM
Hi Capt. I have the latest version of the Imperial mod installed, and am having some wierd issues that I haven't seen anybody else mention yet.

I have everything installed via JSGME, and it will display on the map, but in Pearl where I was testing it, it actually caused the harbor facilities to move from the proper place on the map. I also would get a CTD whenever my crew would call out a new contact. Any ideas? I really want to use this mod. :D

Thanks much.

CaptainCox
04-01-07, 03:52 PM
Hi Capt. I have the latest version of the Imperial mod installed, and am having some wierd issues that I haven't seen anybody else mention yet.

I have everything installed via JSGME, and it will display on the map, but in Pearl where I was testing it, it actually caused the harbor facilities to move from the proper place on the map. I also would get a CTD whenever my crew would call out a new contact. Any ideas? I really want to use this mod. :D

Thanks much. WOW!!!! that should not happen as this only modifies a graphic overlay. The CTD's...no idea, I can't imagine anything in this mod that would cause that. Been running it all day here and no issues what so ever.

jerryt
04-01-07, 07:27 PM

Thanks much. WOW!!!! that should not happen as this only modifies a graphic overlay. The CTD's...no idea, I can't imagine anything in this mod that would cause that. Been running it all day here and no issues what so ever.

I'll re-install it and see if I get the same thing again. Maybe it was only because I was in port?
Thanks.

DURUK
04-04-07, 05:14 AM
thanks to all of you guys working on it.. didn't have the chance to check yet but i'm looking forward for it.. just 1 question tough.. can we d/l and instal both metric and imperial formats and if we do will they switch when we choose eighter imperial or metric settings from the game options?? :huh:
looking forward,

CaptainCox
04-04-07, 08:24 AM
I think not as one will overwrite the other. They have the same file name so no go unfortunately. But its pretty easy to have them both in JSGME and just have one deactivated and one activated, switch and back in game etc. You have to be in the main menu to do this but!!!.

Krupp
04-05-07, 04:46 PM
I tried every 360 imperial bearing tools here, but not single one worked :shifty:. The scale was off compared to the ingame ranges. That's a shame, cos I think this tool is a very important part of plotting targets.

Another thing was, that it took several minutes before my game actually started after the loading bar had reached the 100%. And when I removed the mod (Capt Cox's) with the JSGME there was no more waiting after the loading bar. :hmm:

I tried to change the map(cfg) resolutions for 1440x900 that I use, but it didn't help.
1500 yards tools is good one, more better would be 3000 yards. I tried that one too, it didn't fit either.

CaptainCox
04-05-07, 04:52 PM
Hm mm, yea I wonder do you have a wide screen? some ppl (not many) have had probs using this mod with wide screens. So far I haven't done nothing towards this as i don't have one, wide screen that is... :( If you are running a "normal" screen...well, beats me as all works just fine here, could again be a res prob but...

cdrake66
04-05-07, 05:02 PM
I tried every 360 imperial bearing tools here, but not single one worked :shifty:. The scale was off compared to the ingame ranges. That's a shame, cos I think this tool is a very important part of plotting targets.

Another thing was, that it took several minutes before my game actually started after the loading bar had reached the 100%. And when I removed the mod (Capt Cox's) with the JSGME there was no more waiting after the loading bar. :hmm:

I tried to change the map(cfg) resolutions for 1440x900 that I use, but it didn't help.
1500 yards tools is good one, more better would be 3000 yards. I tried that one too, it didn't fit either.
I use a widescreen monitor (native resolution 1920x1200) and I had a similar problem with the bearing plotter that Captain Cox made. As I recall, the in game ruler was just passing 1000 meters at the 1500 meter ring. I increased the size of Captain Cox's plotter to fit on my widescreen (I assume it's the widescreen, he and I could discern no other differences in our setups to account for the range error.

You can download my widescreen version here: http://hosted.filefront.com/cdrake66/1929340

I currently have only done the metric plotter, but switch your game to metric and try it, if the range is correct I'll get off my butt and create a widescreen version of his Imperial plotter.

Oh, and as for a 3000 yard plotter, I tried to do a 3000 meter version for widescreen but the texture size exceeded 4096x4096, I don't know of any graphics cards that can yet handle textures larger than this so I gave it up.

Regards,
Chris

edit: Ok, I've done the Imperial bearing tool. It can be downloaded at the above link. This is sized for widescreen resolutions (tested at 1920x1200).

The outer ring is 1500 yds, this equates to .74 nm. I have it sized such that the ruler changes from .7 nm to .8 nm at the 1500 yard ring. This assumes that the ruler changes from .6 nm to .7 nm at .65 nm and from .7 to .8 at .75 nm.

I believe this should be pretty accurate for widescreen users.

akdavis
04-05-07, 10:20 PM
Hm mm, yea I wonder do you have a wide screen? some ppl (not many) have had probs using this mod with wide screens. So far I haven't done nothing towards this as i don't have one, wide screen that is... :( If you are running a "normal" screen...well, beats me as all works just fine here, could again be a res prob but...

I'm using a CRT at 1600x1200 and the ranges do not match up, both with yours and the other 3000-yard bearing tool. I'll try another resolution and see if the problem is still there.

NonWonderDog
04-06-07, 12:28 AM
I am fairly certain the NVidia 8800 supports 8192x8192 textures, actually. It's probably not worth scaling the 3000 yard version up just for one card, though--especially if you can't test it. It would also take up far more video memory than can be justified.

Krupp
04-06-07, 01:04 AM
Thanks a million cdrake 66 for your effort! I downloaded your wide imperial 360 and give it a quick test. Then off for holidays...

cdrake66
04-06-07, 10:35 AM
I am fairly certain the NVidia 8800 supports 8192x8192 textures, actually. It's probably not worth scaling the 3000 yard version up just for one card, though--especially if you can't test it. It would also take up far more video memory than can be justified. I should know this since I run an 8800 on my desktop lol. But I also game on my laptop which runs a 7800 so I tend to keep things I do compatible with my laptop.

cdrake66
04-06-07, 10:36 AM
Thanks a million cdrake 66 for your effort! I downloaded your wide imperial 360 and give it a quick test. Then off for holidays... My pleasure. Please let me know if the scale is correct on your display. Regards, Chris

Meridian
04-07-07, 03:31 PM
Just tried the imperial version. Standard size LCD @ 1024x768.

Checked the range to target through the periscope and it showed around 1600yds, on the mod it was showing as 700yds. These are rough estimates as I can't remember the exact values, but there was a helluva difference.

CaptainCox
04-07-07, 04:07 PM
Not exactly...

The ruler tool in the game is using NM or Nautical Miles. However the periscope is using Yards...why, well I did not write the game.

I guess NM is used more often when looking at charts and maps and stuff and yards is used in this case for a visual contact.

The "MOD" is using a "METER" overlay scaled up to use the for example the 100m as 0.1nm, 200m as 0.2nm etc etc.

I am running 1280x1024 and this is what I get.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/MAP-1.jpg

As you can see the ruler shows 0.6nm and the 360 bearing tool shows 600
I guess you could call that 0.600 or one would have to rework the graphics.

But that was not your problem.

Now check this http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/PERISCOPE-1.jpg

01225...yards...or?...well i would say pretty spot on :p

Now watch

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/NMCONV.jpg

Not 100% but close enough for my money (considering I was not spot on measuring with the ruler.
Nothing wrong with the mod...or?

Now you had 1600 yards in the scope and saw 700 on the navi map...watch ;)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/YARD.jpg

not 100%, but close enough...

Sticking out my neck here :p
But why didn't the whole world go "Metric" like the rest of Europe when they had the chance..well they are doing it inch by inch.

Now that's a bad joke if i ever heard one!.

cdrake66
04-07-07, 04:46 PM
Captain Cox,

When I rescaled your Imperial Bearing mod for widescreen, I set it up so that the scale read correctly in yards. Not tenth's of nautical miles. So, on mine, at the 1500 ring (1500 yards in this case) the ruler reads .75nm (1500 yards = .74 nautical miles).

So, if you range a target at 1000 yards on the stadimeter, it will show up at the 1000 ring on the bearing plotter.

That was the way I interpreted it at any rate.

Regards,
Chris

CaptainCox
04-07-07, 04:51 PM
If you look closely at the ruler "marking" it says "nm" and that's what i went for
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/MAP-1.jpg

I guess if you want to call that yards its OK. Its a bit weird for me anyway to have 2 different measurements in the scope and on the map. But I am playing the game in "Metric" anyways :p

Meridian
04-08-07, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the explanation, now it all makes sense. If I had zoomed in that close to my sub I guess I would have seen that NM marking. :damn:

But anyway, thanks for all the mods you're putting out, nice work.

cdrake66
04-08-07, 11:28 AM
If you look closely at the ruler "marking" it says "nm" and that's what i went for
My reasoning is that when you are in close enough to use the scale on the plotter you are likely to be using the stadimeter which reports in yards. And 600=600 makes more sense to me than 600=.6

But I am playing the game in "Metric" anyways :p
lol, so am I. I learned how to plot intercepts in SHIII in metric so I am more comfortable playing SHIV in metric as well.

Regards,
Chris

Tigrone
04-08-07, 12:03 PM
"But why didn't the whole world go "Metric" like the rest of Europe when they had the chance..."

Napoleon lost the Battle of Waterloo.

CaptainCox
04-08-07, 12:05 PM
"But why didn't the whole world go "Metric" like the rest of Europe when they had the chance..."

Napoleon lost the Battle of Waterloo.:up:

partyboy
04-08-07, 03:39 PM
This mod doubles my loading times, the initial load and the one at the start of a career (or load.)

A lack of memory, I guess? (1024mb, 256mb video)

CaptainCox
04-08-07, 03:44 PM
Well if you are running the "Imperial" version it could be...the actual graphics is pretty big...but double sounds a bit weird...there is a lot of graphics that has to get loaded and this one is only one DDS file...Personally i have not noticed anything, but running a pretty good spec rig ;)

Mav87th
04-09-07, 12:44 PM
For me the ranges at 3000 is a bit off as well.

In nearest zoom the line tool gives me 1.225nm at the bearing tools 3000yard maker.

AFAIK 1.225nm equals 2480.625 yards converted

CaptainCox
04-09-07, 01:06 PM
Well check this out... using the ruler it shows 1.5nm at the 1500 ring
but using the set course plotter it shows 2nm at the 1500 ring... :o

and 3000 yard marker? I guess you are using the 360 "3000 yard" from NonWonderDog ?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/121212.jpg

sqk7744
04-09-07, 03:01 PM
Great mod Cap'n!

FYI~ you've got a funky cyclic redundancy check with the Imperial 1.3 rar on Filefront:

C:\Temp\360_DBP_IMPERIAL_13.rar: CRC failed in 360 DBP IMPERIAL 1.3\Data\Submarine\NSS_Balao\NSS_Balao_shp.dds. The file is corrupt
! C:\Temp\360_DBP_IMPERIAL_13.rar: CRC failed in 360 DBP IMPERIAL 1.3\Data\Submarine\NSS_Gar\NSS_Gar_shp.dds. The file is corrupt
! C:\Temp\360_DBP_IMPERIAL_13.rar: CRC failed in 360 DBP IMPERIAL 1.3\Data\Submarine\NSS_Gato\NSS_Gato_shp.dds. The file is corrupt
! C:\Temp\360_DBP_IMPERIAL_13.rar: CRC failed in 360 DBP IMPERIAL 1.3\Data\Submarine\NSS_Porpoise\NSS_Porpoise_shp.d ds. The file is corrupt
! C:\Temp\360_DBP_IMPERIAL_13.rar: Unexpected end of archive

CaptainCox
04-09-07, 03:06 PM
Cheers will delete it and upload again.

EDIT: ok I uploaded a new named .rar...hope that works better.
1st post updated.

sqk7744
04-09-07, 04:58 PM
Brilliant!

Thanks m'8

akdavis
04-09-07, 05:18 PM
Well check this out... using the ruler it shows 1.5nm at the 1500 ring
but using the set course plotter it shows 2nm at the 1500 ring... :o

and 3000 yard marker? I guess you are using the 360 "3000 yard" from NonWonderDog ?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/121212.jpg

The course plotter returns odd ranges. 0-1nm is only around 500 yards and this error continues into the subsequent ranges, althought it seems 1-2nm covers the right amount of space.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7879/rulerplotterxv4.jpg

I believe this is where the range measurement imprecision was introduced by the devs, not the ruler tool. This makes sense as the primary navigation margin of error would be in where exactly in the world your ship is, not in the measured distance on map using a tool (X yards will always be an exact distance when measure out on a map of Y scale). There should be no error in the distance between where you think your ship is and a given point on the map when using a tool. When plotting contacts, error is introduced through the user (especially the inexact stadimeter) or imprecise reports from your crew. There is no need to introduce a poorly made ruler.

Whether the ruler does not match up perfectly because of a scale error in the bearing tool or because of an error in the program is difficult to know.

And by the way, I also get massively increased load times when using the v1.3 [Imperial] 360 degree bearing tool.

donut
04-10-07, 04:59 AM
I also get massively increased load times when using the v1.3 [Imperial] 360 degree bearing tool.Range does not jive with Position Keeper,not a range tool,we need one.When deleated load time recovers normaly.Keep up the good work.

CaptainCox
04-10-07, 05:13 AM
Well the "Metric" tool is plainly a 1/1 conversion from SH3, only difference is that its saved in DDS format instead of TGA. As for the "Imperial" yes its has a bigger graphics therefore heavier.

There is some pll that have had problems with this but I am not sure as how to solve that. If you make the "360" smaller it will not messure correctly.

I have used the "Ruler" as a guide here as that is what I use in a combat situation to messure distances with, not the "plot course"

Fercyful
04-18-07, 04:16 PM
hey cap!! great MOD :up: (like always) was using it with 1.1 without problems (metric version) but now when I use it with 1.2 have some diferences in the meters...

example: in nav training I target the torpedo boat and periscope report 450 mts BUT in the overlay shows cleary that is at less distance than that...
please can you check this x me...

thanks lots!

:arrgh!:

t0maz
04-18-07, 08:07 PM
I have some strange effect after patching to v1.2 and aplaying this mod.

I start docked at port, zooming the map to plot the course.
When I move map the port and ships layer moves differently than land and sea layer.
ie. i can see ships on the ground after moving the map...
So it is difficult to take out sub from port without hitting the ground.
(my resolution is 1280x1024)

Someone have any ideas?

CaptainCox
04-18-07, 11:46 PM
wow! sounds weird that...you got a screenshot?
I just tried at port (normally I start outside) and I had no issues.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/CaptainCox/aaaaaaaa.jpg

bruschi sauro
04-19-07, 03:51 AM
THANKS MATE GOOD WORK:up:

bruschi sauro
04-19-07, 09:49 AM
I have read 1.3 ready .... the patch 1.30 is ready?:o
When we can get it?:ping:

melb00m
04-20-07, 07:26 AM
I have read 1.3 ready .... the patch 1.30 is ready?:o
When we can get it?:ping:

I guess that´s meant to be the version of the bearing tool, not SH ;)
I used this in SH4 1.1, but unfortunately can´t seem to use in 1.2 now. Always can´t get across the loading screen for the menu when the mod is active.

CaptainCox
04-20-07, 08:23 AM
What are your specs there man. Cause I have no probs what so ever, I know the file is pretty big but it sounds to me that your PC is not up to it...only speculating here.

t0maz
04-20-07, 04:57 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/t0maz/SH4Img20-4-2007_23.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/t0maz/SH4Img20-4-2007_23-1.jpg
Only your mod was enabled at the moment.
If the question about spec was to me, its inpossible. I have radeon x1900xt; athlon x2 and 2GB of ram.
I hope this screens helps you somehow.

Pax
04-20-07, 06:09 PM
This is great stuff, but i get wrong length readings with your version 1.3, SH4 patch 1.2 and 1600*1200 resolution. 1280*960 works fine (edit: 1280*960 is also a bit off)

CaptainCox
04-20-07, 11:20 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/t0maz/SH4Img20-4-2007_23.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/t0maz/SH4Img20-4-2007_23-1.jpg
Only your mod was enabled at the moment.
If the question about spec was to me, its inpossible. I have radeon x1900xt; athlon x2 and 2GB of ram.
I hope this screens helps you somehow.I wonder...:hmm: could this have something to do with it ? http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112377
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112508
or does it only happen using the MOD ?

CaptainCox
04-20-07, 11:23 PM
This is great stuff, but i get wrong length readings with your version 1.3, SH4 patch 1.2 and 1600*1200 resolution. 1280*960 works fine.
Yea I think the high res is a prob also wide screen. Thing is I can only run at 1280x1024 (LCD) so I have no real way of checking this :(

t0maz
04-21-07, 06:14 AM
I installed back all my mods except yours, and have still some map issues (corrupted land - irregular land lines only, no normal continets).
So maybe after patch 1.2 I have map issues when starting a misson in campaign (only first time wiith v1.2 i hope).
When I enabled back your mod and load save made in v1.2 map was ok :rock:
(Campaign was staarted in v1.1)
So i will test this problem some more. :hmm:

skullman86
04-21-07, 09:21 PM
I downloaded imperial 1.3 and enabled it but my game gets to the main page with the red bar (after the intro videos), gets to 100% then just stays there; I cant start my game.I know it's the mod because I disabled it and the game loaded properly.Has anyone else experienced this or did I just do something wrong?I currently have the thresher skin and the hud lamp changes enabled, could these be conflicting with it?

I'm also using 1.2 if that matters

Juju
04-21-07, 10:33 PM
I downloaded imperial 1.3 and enabled it but my game gets to the main page with the red bar (after the intro videos), gets to 100% then just stays there; I cant start my game.I know it's the mod because I disabled it and the game loaded properly.Has anyone else experienced this ?

Yup, same here. Game wouldn't get past the red loading bar. Game loaded properly after removal/switching to the metric version.

CaptainCox
04-21-07, 11:36 PM
Will check it in a min...just woke up...:huh:

CaptainCox
04-22-07, 12:32 AM
OK I tested BOTH! version several times and yes there is something with the IMPERIAL Version. But its not a loading problem, it loads alright, at least here.
The problem is in the "ZOOM" levels.

I installed back all my mods except yours, and have still some map issues (corrupted land - irregular land lines only, no normal continets).
So maybe after patch 1.2 I have map issues when starting a misson in campaign (only first time wiith v1.2 i hope).
When I enabled back your mod and load save made in v1.2 map was ok :rock:
(Campaign was staarted in v1.1)

Yes it does that!!! BUT! for me only using the "IMPERIAL" version, and this is what I have found out.

In BOTH! version I use the "Maps.ini" to set the ZOOM levels, this was done especially to be able to see the "IMPERIAL" version at the first zoom level when it shows up as a COMPLETE CIRCLE. If I remove those "ZOOM STEPS" in the "Maps.ini" THAT! problem is gone, no more moving the "LAND" around like what "t0maz" just explained above.

This is to me more like a "bug" or something as this works (at least for me) with the "METRIC" version. So if you have any problems like what "t0maz" describes, like the coast line is moving around when you drag the map zoomed in, DELETE the "Cfg Folder" in the

Data/Menu/Cfg IN THE MOD FOLDER!!!!

and all should be OK. You will not have the extra "zoom" levels of course but no more dragging around the coast line. As to why this is happening I don't have a clue, as it only seem to happen at the "manually" imputed zoom levels. For e.g.

ORIGINAL LINE:
ZoomLevels=1,2,3,4,5,10,11,15,20,50,100,200,500,10 00,2000,4000,10000,20000;,40000; meters per pixel

MODIFIED LINE:
ZoomLevels=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,15,20,50,100,20 0,500,1000,2000,4000,10000,20000;,40000; meters per pixel

This was not the case in Patch 1.1, so to me it looks like something definitely related to 1.2. It could be that something relating to the ZOOM in another .ini somewhere is causing this but hard to say.

As for you guys that can't load...I have no answer to this...sorry. You are not using any other MOD'S that have conflicts I guess, so its just weird to me as here all is OK, and as I said I tried BOTH versions several times just now.

Kataki
04-22-07, 02:36 PM
I am using v1.1 of sh4 and whatever the latest version of the imperial verion of this mod is and still have land moving on my map when I zoom.

Also, I have the black square glitch but it's not constant. Sometimes I have the nice tool, but others I have the black square. Im not really sure what causes it to turn on and off but it is really frustrating.

CaptainCox
04-22-07, 02:42 PM
Hmmm, I think it could be something in the size of that bit map used for the Imperial version, it is much bigger (heavier) then the Metric. Have you tried simply deleting that "Cfg" folder in the mod?. Also for you guys having probs with Imperial, try out the 3000 Yard tool from "NonWonderDog"
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110133 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110133)

Pax
04-22-07, 03:22 PM
This is great stuff, but i get wrong length readings with your version 1.3, SH4 patch 1.2 and 1600*1200 resolution. 1280*960 works fine. Yea I think the high res is a prob also wide screen. Thing is I can only run at 1280x1024 (LCD) so I have no real way of checking this :( I can help with testing higher resolutions if you want. I have a 22" CRT so I can set a lot of different res above 1280*1024. Just contact me if you have something to test.

t0maz
04-23-07, 03:18 PM
Maybe it is because you add 4 zoom levels and it cannot be more than 19 (like in orginal), or the ground layer is not affected by this zoom levels from file (worst case - hardcoded), or ground layer zooms are defined in some other file. I will try after deleting cfg dir. ;)

SteamWake
04-25-07, 11:09 AM
I installed this mod V1.3 (to SH4 1.2) and it works fine.

Thanks very much for the efforts.

Only thing I noticed is that upon loading the "Please Wait" screen is up much longer. At first I thought it was frozen so I just let it sit there about 5 minutes and it finally loaded.

On subsequent loads not quite as bad but still longer.

Nothing I cant live with just a note on it.

t0maz
04-25-07, 01:23 PM
Did you deleted cfg dir in mod? Maybe that helps you.

Capt. S. A. Wood
04-25-07, 02:00 PM
CaptainCox, I was thinking I could try to adapt your metric/imperial bearing tool to work with 1600x1200, but I do not know the process you use to create the tool.

I am guessing here, but do you draw the circle using a scale of 2 meters : 1 pixel, then draw the concentric rings at the revelant ranges? If so, I guess the question would be why SHIV does not keep the same 2 meters : 1 pixel ratio at 1600x1200 as it does so well at 1024x768.

Would you mind letting me know what process you used to create it, if it is not a trade secret? :)

The conversion to imperial should be no problem, will just be bigger as you stated earlier of course.

- Wood

SteamWake
04-25-07, 03:07 PM
Did you deleted cfg dir in mod? Maybe that helps you.

Used JSGME

CaptainCox
04-25-07, 08:32 PM
CaptainCox, I was thinking I could try to adapt your metric/imperial bearing tool to work with 1600x1200, but I do not know the process you use to create the tool.

I am guessing here, but do you draw the circle using a scale of 2 meters : 1 pixel, then draw the concentric rings at the revelant ranges? If so, I guess the question would be why SHIV does not keep the same 2 meters : 1 pixel ratio at 1600x1200 as it does so well at 1024x768.

Would you mind letting me know what process you used to create it, if it is not a trade secret? :)

The conversion to imperial should be no problem, will just be bigger as you stated earlier of course.

- Wood
No secret, I simply used the existing graphics made by "Pato" for SH3 (as mentioned in the 1st post). The only thing I did was that i converted it for SH4 and added the "boat" symbol in the middle. As for the scaling I sized it in photoshop until it matched up with the "Ruler" tool measurement. Some ppl would have done it differently but that's what I use anyway in a attack/plotting situation (ruler that is).

Pax
04-29-07, 10:58 AM
This is great stuff, but i get wrong length readings with your version 1.3, SH4 patch 1.2 and 1600*1200 resolution. 1280*960 works fine.
I have to correct this statement: 1280*960 is also a bit off. It may be related to you using 1280*1024, a 5:4 aspect ratio rather than the ordinary 4:3 resolutions.

But anyhow, it must be possible to do this so it scales correctly for all resolutions, or?

l3th4l
05-03-07, 09:04 AM
I worked with CaptainCox and present you with a new updated version of the bearing overlay:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5615/3601rx5.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3601rx5.jpg) http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9967/3602ey6.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3602ey6.jpg)

Download Version 1.4 (http://files.filefront.com/7418673)

This time both Imperial and Metric versions are included thanks to a handy little script that automatically generates the appropriate folders and filenames. Please check the Readme for details.

Also please report any difficulties, suggestions you have here and well as any error you might experience.

CaptainCox
05-03-07, 09:35 AM
Very very cool job! "l3th4l" :up:
1st post updated!

Just a small clarification on my side. We decided to merge these mods as it gets confusing with all the 360 plotters floating around.

I thank "l3th4l" for the work and commitment on this one. Hopefully the new version will help all the ppl that had problems with the older versions.
I would also like to add that "l3th4l's" bearing plotter graphics was done from SCRATCH! using Photoshop, for all you PS users, that means something i am sure.

SteamWake
05-03-07, 11:38 AM
Has the increased loading times been addressed ?

I loaded the imperial version 1.3 and loading times have at least tripled.

l3th4l
05-03-07, 12:09 PM
yes - for me the load times are back to normal :)

but it's always good to hear the experiences of other people.

SteamWake
05-03-07, 12:51 PM
Ill try it tonight and get back to you.

Honestly Id rather live with the long load times than not have the bearings.

longam
05-03-07, 06:47 PM
Bug?
I used this mod and it worked for a few times, then about the third time black squares developed.
Diving for sonar contact
The sonar reports of - Contact – Merchant – Contact Distance – Bearing 62 – Long Range
Was reduced to this
Bearing 62
Removed Mod and report came back.

EDIT:I think the black square is related to the AA fix. I was getting menu fuzz out until I reduced some settings in the AA. This could be related.

http://www.atourhouse.net/images/sh4menu.jpg

SteamWake
05-03-07, 06:58 PM
Promised to report back.

Upon upgrade to the version 1.4 load times are greatly improved :up:

longam
05-03-07, 07:09 PM
This was 1.4

Edit: ok I removed the Silent Service Mod and it returned to normal. Great I love this feature on the map.

t0maz
05-05-07, 06:40 AM
I (...) have still some map issues (corrupted land - irregular land lines only, no normal continets).
(...)
Solved!
I've deleted no-cd exe and return to orginal exe. All issues disapear! :rock:Described map issue, issue that i cannot fire torpedos sometimes and flat characters with big "voodoo" eyes :lol: So if anybody have some of this issues -> return to your orginal sh4.exe.

t0maz
05-05-07, 06:47 AM
I wonder...:hmm: could this have something to do with it ? http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112377
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=112508
or does it only happen using the MOD ?
Exactly - thanx :up:

Bilge_Rat
05-05-07, 07:45 AM
I had the same problem with 1.3 freezing on the load up screen, but 1.4 works perfectly and the imperial version scales perfectly at 1280x960.

great job. :up:

MONOLITH
05-20-07, 07:56 PM
For the guys with the wide-screen problem open the "Data" folder in the "360 Bearing Tool" folder and open the "Menu" folder and keep going until you see a document called "Maps" open with "Notepad"

Hey Captain, I just tried this one out, and in my folders there is no MENU folder. Just Data/submarine/....

??

EDIT: Well, the maps.cfg is there in the main mod folder (the one with the dos cmd files), but not in the sub mod folders (imperial vs metric). So, do I have to alter the maps.cfg before I run the createfolders.cmd?

l3th4l
05-20-07, 08:10 PM

Hey Captain, I just tried this one out, and in my folders there is no MENU folder. Just Data/submarine/....

??

EDIT: Well, the maps.cfg is there in the main mod folder (the one with the dos cmd files), but not in the sub mod folders (imperial vs metric). So, do I have to alter the maps.cfg before I run the createfolders.cmd?

it's an oversight on my part if the maps.cfg is still there... it has been disabled for compatibility reasons.

MONOLITH
05-20-07, 08:29 PM
Well, I altered the maps.cfg for my 1680x1050 widescreen before I hit the createfolders.cmd, and it seemed to work well ingame afterwards.

The only problem I seem to have is now I get the nasty neon green line down the horizontal edge of my screen. We had this early on with SH4 with some resolution conflicts or something, I can't remember what the topic was now. Not sure how to get rid of the green line. Maybe I should try not adjusting the map.cfg first.

Inside686
07-14-07, 09:03 AM
Values seem to be incorrect with patch 1.3 with metric units (the 1500m circle is equivalent to 1550m on the ruler)

CaptainCox
07-14-07, 09:05 AM
I would actually recommend you to use
360 Degree Bearing Plotter for Silent Hunter 4 1.4
Made by
l3th4l

(in the 1st post in this thread) Or are you already using that?

Bluesub 6
07-14-07, 09:08 AM
Yes,I use it. No problems.

Inside686
07-14-07, 09:16 AM
In fact I used the previous version, IMO it's still wrong but it doesn't matter since we can add 50m to the indicated value to have the real one.

CaptainCox
07-14-07, 09:32 AM
Its some time since we worked on this, but if I recall correctly we decided to use the "fixed ruler" on the top of the screen rather then the "TOOL RULER"...I dont know if this adds up better, but I think that is what we did in the end.

Inside686
07-14-07, 09:38 AM
Which measurement do I have to believe in?

-When the value passed from 0.2 to 0.3 on the ruler (the shorter line and what I experienced to be the most accurate with the reality)?
-What is shown on the ruler line once the line is drawn (the second line)?
-What is shown on the bearing tool?

http://insidesuicide.free.fr/SH4Img@14-7-2007_16.25.8_781.jpg

We have tree different values here so which is the good one?

CaptainCox
07-14-07, 09:42 AM
LOL We had this discussion many o times...I cant remember what is actually correct but hang on I load a game here and check....Have not had a reason to check this for a long time so I need to refresh my memory...hang on

Inside686
07-14-07, 09:52 AM
He he actually it could be useful to know which range to rely on especially during wartime :yep:

I'm not sure but it seem they corrected the ruler since 1.3, before 1.3 when the value passed from x to y it wasn't correct at all. Now I tried 6 times with the torpedo training mission with the map marks activated and it's very accurate. So for the moment I will use this method to measure range

CaptainCox
07-14-07, 09:55 AM
Ok for me it all adds up vissualy.

This is using the "MAP SCALE ON THE SCREEN"
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2728/centerline300qn0.jpg

This is using the "TOOL RULER", again adds up.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8137/messureto9.jpg

Inside686
07-15-07, 04:14 AM
So why do you think my tool ruler doesn't add up correctly? Do you use a specific mod for it?

CaptainCox
07-15-07, 04:17 AM
Hm, no. But It could have something to do with resolution, are you using a widescreen? I am running 1280x1024 here.

Inside686
07-15-07, 04:31 AM
No, I use 1280*1024 as well.
I tried to measure the lengths of the bearing tool on your screenshot and mine with a real ruler and they appear to be the same. So IMO the problem is the ruler tool.

The mod I use are (even if I don't think they are involved):
-TriggerMaru 1.3
-Combined uniform dolphin pin :up:
-Metric speed chart help
-Tmaru repeat patrol fix
-Tmaru subs stock fuel
-Telemeter lens 32 dgr
-OAKsHudGauges
-360 degree bearing tool 1.4
-Realistic creew ranks

CaptainCox
07-15-07, 04:37 AM
That is pretty weird man!
Do you know if you have any mod there that changes
DashLine.dds
in
C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\Gui? its the only thing I can think of here...
Weird :hmm:

Inside686
07-15-07, 04:54 AM
I'll try with only the bearing tool mod enabled

Inside686
07-15-07, 05:05 AM
Problem still there without mods. Well it doesn't matter, I'll take the middle course between two circle as a reliable value.
Thank you for your help. :yep:

CaptainCox
07-15-07, 05:09 AM
Oh well :-? I am still a bit confused as to why this happens for you.

Marko_Ramius
07-17-07, 03:55 PM
This problem is strange, cause i think it's a resolution issue.

I use Bearing mod 1.4, and for the resolution i use in game ( 1280x960) it's perfect.

But the other day, i tried to use 1600x1200 since i have a powerful card now, but no luck : The bearing tool don't match anymore ( 1500 mètres with bearing tool are 1300 mètres with ruler ..)

So i restaured my previous resolution 1280/960 and all is ok.

But i wonder if there was a trick to make the bearing tool scale correct with any resolution :-?

nomad_delta
07-17-07, 03:59 PM
Marko: I see the exact same thing on my system. I used to play at 1600x1200, 'cause my system can handle it -- but the bearing tool doesn't scale properly, so I switched to 1280x960 and it scales properly there.

nomad_delta

Inside686
07-18-07, 07:09 AM
I will try 1280x960 instead of 1280*1024 to see if it changes something.

supposedtobeworking
05-06-08, 10:06 PM
boy I could really use this for 1.5 . does anyone know if it is compatible?

Carotio
05-07-08, 06:36 AM
It works in my install... ;)

longam
05-07-08, 08:40 AM
Latest Update here

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110133&highlight=bearing+tool

supposedtobeworking
05-07-08, 03:24 PM
thanks!

MrSargyano
06-20-08, 05:57 PM
Hi,

I had to resize this down a little over 20 (from 2048 to 1628) percent but with the slick script I only had to mod the one image. Ranges are almost perfect now but I cant see torps. No big deal but it would have been cool. Since I am a Sub Newb, this really helps me visualize with nav map god mode enabled.

Good hunting all,
Mr. Sargyano

Chrischn89
03-18-10, 08:05 AM
Wow this thread hasn´t been touched for ages... but I got a problem regarding the plotter.

I ´ve just begun playing Operation Monsun and want to use it in combination with the german submarines and as I´m kind of new to the subsim-genre I have no idea how to mod and do it myself.

So is there anybody out there who can help?