PDA

View Full Version : Orders Maybe....

geosub1978
03-22-07, 04:36 AM
Can anybody tell me this.

Is it possible to mode SH3 in order to recieve orders from BdU while at sea.

Ι mean that SH3Gen has done something about that but still there is nothing like

From BdU

To U-...

HEAD FOR CONOY...

or

INTERCEPT TASKFORCE IN SQUARE...

or

PENETRATE THE HARBOR....AND SINK THE ANCHORED CARRIER

etc.

With the various mods the SH3 has reached almost the perfection but still this aspect is untouched! Does this mean that souch a thing cannot be modded.

danlisa
03-22-07, 04:44 AM
Yes this is possible.

Anyone wanting to do this will have to use the SCR campaign layer to find their targets location, date & course. Then you will have to add in the message content, then set the message to be sent at the right time so that you could either intercept your target or reach your destination on time. Quite a lot of work.:yep:

However, correct me if I'm wrong but in GWX there are scripted operations/landings which are already reported by BDU.

The bottom line is, you can make SH3 tell you what is going to happen by way of message from BDU but you can't actually use this method for genuine orders. The 'goto grid AMXX & patrol for 24hrs' stuff is hardcoded.

You can 'simulate' orders by doing the above.

P_Funk
03-22-07, 04:56 AM
It would be great if there were random orders to certain patrol grids or Convoys that you're supposed to attack. It would feel much more realistic if Bdu actually told me to do something more than be aggressive. Using the above mentioned method would require ALOT of planning and scripting and writing and so on... No task I wish to pursue. Guess thats why Im not a modder.

danlisa
03-22-07, 05:06 AM
The problem with generating orders by this method is that they can't be random. If you use the RND campaign layer for your information, you can't guarentee that your target will be there when you arrive.

Thinking 'out side the box':88) for a moment, you could use the SCR layer and make the needed additions to the messages.cfg and then use SH3Cmdr to 'randomly' issue out certain messages at each startup. That way, if you (for sake of argument) add 100 messages/orders based on the SCR layer and use Cmdr to only load a random selection of these then you are not likely to receive to same set of orders too often.

Like I said, a lot of work.

Any takers:p.

geosub1978
03-22-07, 06:15 AM
The stocks game REQUEST FOR ORDERS function of the radioman would probably trigger the generation of a new assigned sector. I dont know what happened with that but certainly it would be better that nothing!

My question is this. Could it be another REQUEST FOR ORDERS function that would trigger the game code to generate orders according to the SCR layer even thow you would recieve no renown for accomblishing the given task

P_Funk
03-22-07, 06:38 AM
The problem with generating orders by this method is that they can't be random. If you use the RND campaign layer for your information, you can't guarentee that your target will be there when you arrive.

Thinking 'out side the box':88) for a moment, you could use the SCR layer and make the needed additions to the messages.cfg and then use SH3Cmdr to 'randomly' issue out certain messages at each startup. That way, if you (for sake of argument) add 100 messages/orders based on the SCR layer and use Cmdr to only load a random selection of these then you are not likely to receive to same set of orders too often.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Even the bit about SH3 Cmndr. The randomly selected orders. I also figured it would involve personally writing each order.

Although to think outside the box again wouldn't it be possible to make a prog similar to SH3 Gen which can read the SCR layer and then script random orders from Bdu and then add them to the game in a similar manner to SH3 Cmndr?

danlisa
03-22-07, 06:43 AM
The stocks game REQUEST FOR ORDERS function of the radioman would probably trigger the generation of a new assigned sector. I dont know what happened with that but certainly it would be better that nothing!

My question is this. Could it be another REQUEST FOR ORDERS function that would trigger the game code to generate orders according to the SCR layer even thow you would recieve no renown for accomblishing the given task

I know what you're getting at, however this function was never enabled by the Devs and we can't mod the game code without a SDK. If it could have been done then it would have already because, believe me, this was one of the most annoying aspects of SH3.

I'm affraid the only way to accomplish scripted orders is probably by how I have described above.

P_Funk
03-22-07, 06:56 AM
I'm affraid the only way to accomplish scripted orders is probably by how I have described above.
Not even with a program that would select a random convoy in the SCR layer, create realistically accurate orders for it, then plant them in the game? Certainly you'd have to create orders templates that could be randomly used by the prog. This is like your idea I suppose only made into a renewable method.

GlobalExplorer
03-28-07, 11:22 AM

That is exactly what I was thinking. Even the bit about SH3 Cmndr. The randomly selected orders. I also figured it would involve personally writing each order.

Although to think outside the box again wouldn't it be possible to make a prog similar to SH3 Gen which can read the SCR layer and then script random orders from Bdu and then add them to the game in a similar manner to SH3 Cmndr?

I have pondered if Sh3Gen should offer an option that generates a new set of radio messages based on everyhting the program knows about the campaign. It would be possible, but very substantial work to simulate a campaign with U-Boat traffic, and to keep track of other radio mods etc but it would definitely possible.

I got some requests for making Sh3Gen open source and I offered the creation of the radio traffic module to these people, but nothing came from it. :-?

The final reason why I didn't do it myself was because it was against my philosophy to not make any changes inside the SHIII folder - in order to stay 100% compatible with other mods - and secondly because I kind of lost interest - wasn't feeling like adding another feature that no one understands.

Still, a good idea, and this was part of my original vision.

GE

bigboywooly
03-28-07, 12:41 PM
The only problem with using the Rnd layer is that its random

The convoy may not spawn on that occasion you get the message
Most convoys have a radius of around 200KM on the waypoints so ships dont appear in the same spot every time

Your message may guide you to - say - BE29 and the convoy actually appears 3 grids over

Like the idea though