PDA

View Full Version : [QUE] Particle.dat from SH4 used in SH3

urfisch
03-21-07, 01:32 PM
i tried to use the particle effects of sh4 in sh3...it works! BUT a lot of textures are missing...the smoke consists of colored squares. just try to overwrite the sh3 particle.dat with the sh4 one...and you ll see, what i mean. also the copying of the textures from sh4 to sh3 doesnt take any effect. also when i convert them into tga.

ideas?

:hmm:

bigboywooly
03-21-07, 01:38 PM
Wondered how long it would take
lol

I was told the ship skins etc are .dds ( ? ) files
Is that right Urfisch ?

ref
03-21-07, 03:04 PM
Check this thread

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108125

Ref

Jimbuna
03-21-07, 03:29 PM
If this is the shape of things to come then I think it's gonna be a case of "Ubisoft aren't too happy of a mixing of the two sims" :hmm:

urfisch
03-21-07, 03:42 PM
Check this thread

Ref

ok...but what now? i know about these filetype and already had a dds-plugin...but why isnt the sh4-particles.dat in sh3 reading the files any more? maybe there might be something missing? some wrong path in some file? but this cant be the reason as other textures, like the fire or explosion mask are found and used...just the smoke is out of texture.

ref
03-21-07, 05:11 PM
Check this thread

Ref

ok...but what now? i know about these filetype and already had a dds-plugin...but why isnt the sh4-particles.dat in sh3 reading the files any more? maybe there might be something missing? some wrong path in some file? but this cant be the reason as other textures, like the fire or explosion mask are found and used...just the smoke is out of texture.

I don't have the game yet so I'm only guessing, but for what I've read SH4 uses all external textures, so you'll need to convert all sh4 textures to tga, and modify the dat file so it points to the right textures.
You can't expect just to throw files from a newer version of the sim engine in and that they'll work, you're lucky that the game didn't CTD, if the file uses new controllers you're not going to be able to use it.

Ref

urfisch
03-22-07, 03:25 AM
so thats all? no more ideas or tipps?

:cry:

Madox58
03-22-07, 04:41 AM
More of us have to get our hands on SH4.
I've crossed from California to Texas today and still haven't found a copy!
Tomorrow on the way to Kentucky I should find it.

ref
03-22-07, 08:32 AM
so thats all? no more ideas or tipps?

:cry:
I don't want to be harsch, and I definetly have no problem sharing the little I know, but you're asking for "expert" advice on a program that most of us haven't got yet, with luck I'll get it in a couple of weeks, my advice for you is to do the same thing we all do when we started with sh3, pick up an hex editor and start analizing the files, perhaps you can find something and tell us...

Ref

Madox58
03-23-07, 02:46 AM
Hit Oklahoma City, found a Game Spot and SH4!
Looks to me as though there are additional folders
that would need to be moved to SH3.
And maybe a bit of hex work.
was kind of hard to dig deep bounceing down the hiway!

urfisch
03-23-07, 04:56 AM
Hit Oklahoma City, found a Game Spot and SH4!
Looks to me as though there are additional folders
that would need to be moved to SH3.
And maybe a bit of hex work.
was kind of hard to dig deep bounceing down the hiway!

:rock:

P_Funk
03-23-07, 06:35 AM
If this is the shape of things to come then I think it's gonna be a case of "Ubisoft aren't too happy of a mixing of the two sims" :hmm:
Good point. There could actually be lawsuits involved if data from SH4 were released as a mod for SH3 since that would mean that people would be distributing files to people who don't own SH4.

Madox58
03-23-07, 10:30 AM
A statement from Ubi on this would be nice. One way or another.
To port SH3 stuff to SH4 is a reverse same thing.
What if they don't own SH3?:hmm:

bigboywooly
03-23-07, 10:34 AM
I suppose with an intelligent installer it may be possible to take the files from SH3 and add into SH4 ?

Jaeson may be able to answer that one

That way if you dont have SH3 you cant have to files transfered

Or an installer that looks for SH3 first before installing
No SH3 no install

Either way

rascal101
03-23-07, 04:35 PM
Having had SH4 for a couple of days not I would ask you guys one thing, why would you import anything from SH4 into SH3

I've been patient with SH4 as most games need a patch one released, but this is ridiculous, they already have a patch out but there are even more bugs and the overall graphics IMO are a let down. Playing the game is like wearing a pair of glasses with Vaseline smeared all over them, gone are the clear and crisp graphics of SH3. I can’t put my finger on it, everything looks good when up close, but from a distance there is an overall fuzziness that becomes annoying the more you look at it.

I guess its up to you guys who want to mod it to make something of this game, seems the dev team is working on the assumption that they release a game and let the community finish it, having said that I recon any modders have their work cut out to make this work.

I am one step away from trying to return this game to the retailer all though I only have about 5 days left to do so. I just hope there is a second working patch or the modders can do something.

Sorry for the rant, and to be so negative, but you can guess my disappointment

I suppose with an intelligent installer it may be possible to take the files from SH3 and add into SH4 ?

Jaeson may be able to answer that one

That way if you dont have SH3 you cant have to files transfered

Or an installer that looks for SH3 first before installing
No SH3 no install

Either way

bigboywooly
03-23-07, 04:51 PM
I hear that Rascal
Have been following the threads over there

I think the idea is more to add SH3 content to SH4
Ships can already be added

IF crew on ships and liferafts etc could be retro fitted into SH3 so much the better
Increase the games life somewhat

Early days yet though as not everybody can get the game

Am sure the devs are already working on the 2nd patch for SH4
The devs are quite active in the SH4 forums at the moment

rascal101
03-23-07, 07:30 PM
As I've said in this forum before Mr BBW, your attitude to information and keeping people abreast of developments is a joy to behold, I wish some games developers would employ you to handle err......situations like the SH4 fiasco, I will give them time because SH3 had teething trouble on release and that one kept me going for nearly two years, thanks mostly to you guys.

On a SH3 related issue do you know if Iambecome life will be releasing his merchants pack yet, or has he too bee distracted by SH4.

And lastly I wanted to alert you to another game I discovered by accident, not normally the kind of thing id bother with but I would urge you to check out Stalker, it’s breathtaking.

I hear that Rascal
Have been following the threads over there

I think the idea is more to add SH3 content to SH4
Ships can already be added

IF crew on ships and liferafts etc could be retro fitted into SH3 so much the better
Increase the games life somewhat

Early days yet though as not everybody can get the game

Am sure the devs are already working on the 2nd patch for SH4
The devs are quite active in the SH4 forums at the moment

bigboywooly
03-23-07, 07:56 PM
Not played that thanks Rascal but will check it out sometime

Not heard from Iambecome lately
Of course his ships can now be added to SH4 also
Hope he releases them for SH3 first though

:rotfl:

Wasnt here for the start of SH3 so cant comment on the state of release
Though I can understand the frustrations in the SH4 forum

Am sure it will get there in the end
Luckily we have SH3 to keep us all going - not that I am transfering to the PTO

Jimbuna
03-24-07, 05:35 AM
Gotta agree with your every word Rascal :yep: SH4 has been on my computer for 3 days now and I'm already in a state of despair :damn:
What BBW says is probably how this initial fiasco will pan out....we have been served yet another half baked potato and in the end will probably be nearly totally reliant on the modding community for a 'fix' (a definite sense of deja vu here) :arrgh!: