PDA

View Full Version : [REL] Keyboard Function Mod

CCIP
03-20-07, 02:46 PM
[edit - new version here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=502304#post502304 ]

Kapitan_Phillips
03-20-07, 03:20 PM
Is the up periscope - down periscope still Insert & Delete and Page Up & Page Down respectivley?

CCIP
03-20-07, 03:21 PM
Correct. These work fine, just as before (for me they do, anyway).

joea
03-20-07, 03:48 PM
Way to go CCIP, good stuff!! :rock:

Barkhorn1x
03-20-07, 04:17 PM
Yea!

Tigrone
03-20-07, 05:09 PM
Is an Insert (Number Lock On) needed for go-back at all?

LukeFF
03-20-07, 07:14 PM
Has anyone checked to see if SetKeys will work with SH4?

CCIP
03-20-07, 07:59 PM
Has anyone checked to see if SetKeys will work with SH4?

It should I think!

The commands file is virtually identical to SHIII - a few new items here and there, but overall the items and key codes are just as they were.

Ducimus
03-20-07, 08:49 PM
Is an Insert (Number Lock On) needed for go-back at all?

Feel free to rip it out of the commands_en.cfg from my gwx tweak pack. If CCIP doesnt do it, ill do it myself later on when i acutally have the game. I like that go back function all too much.

CCIP
03-20-07, 10:37 PM
Added :D

A quick test and I'll put it out!

CCIP
03-20-07, 11:14 PM
Okay, it's up, see original post. (I can't change the thread title myself it seems).

Ragtag
03-21-07, 03:44 AM
Any chance for getting Weapons officer added?

castorp345
03-21-07, 07:00 AM
thanks ccip :)

ryuzu
03-21-07, 04:29 PM
You can edit the F1 help screen to reflect these new key commands btw.

Just go to data/menu/help.txt and you can alter what appears on the F1 screen. It helps me remember them ;)

r.

Ducimus
03-21-07, 06:05 PM

:up:

This is probably the first mod ill end up using, good work man.

waste gate
03-21-07, 09:06 PM

:up:

This is probably the first mod ill end up using, good work man.

Dito:up:

Zero Niner
03-22-07, 12:28 AM
I was thinking to myself that I should remap some of the key commands in SH4 to be identical to that of SH3.
Now you've gone & done that for me!
Thank you! :up:

Juju
03-22-07, 10:40 AM
CCIP: FYI: The patch replaces the commands.cfg file with a new one!

TopCat
03-22-07, 02:42 PM
what about hydrophone volume? Could this be added and would it work?

ryuzu
03-22-07, 04:49 PM
CCIP: FYI: The patch replaces the commands.cfg file with a new one!

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!

If you use this mod with Patch 1.01 then the game will crash if you try and set a depth on the depth meter...

I've modded the relevant keys back into my own copy of the game.

r.

CCIP
03-22-07, 05:14 PM
Errk, could someone please send me the original 1.1 commands.cfg file?

I accidentally got rid of it :dead:

CCIP
03-22-07, 06:38 PM
Okay, thanks again for the heads-up!

I'll test to make sure nothing's broken and re-upload it as a 1.1 version tonight.

CCIP
03-22-07, 10:58 PM
uploaded for version 1.1!

nvdrifter
03-22-07, 11:42 PM
Good job CCIP. Downloaded and installed. :up:

Tigrone
03-22-07, 11:50 PM
Would a depth hotkey be useful for us?

Thank you CCIP. I especially like the one for the control tower. I don't understand why a key was not set for that at all. They could even have used Ctrl+F2.

CCIP
03-22-07, 11:53 PM
Maybe. I'm starting to think of a few more I could add - maybe soon.

To be honest this is more or less a copy of what I'd used in SHIII as custom hotkeys. Some, like depth meter, I always used with the mouse, so it didn't really come to mind.

Suggestions welcome of course!

Rykaird
03-23-07, 02:34 AM
Great mod! The max range at current speed is such an essential function. Thanks!

Ducimus
03-23-07, 04:11 AM
Id be D/L it now but Rapid****e's semi illegiable access codes have just pwned me. Was that a G, C, or Q they had there?! bah.

Respenus
03-23-07, 12:09 PM
Could someone please re-upload this somewhere else, as the download limit was activated!

Thank you.

Zantham
03-23-07, 06:26 PM
THANK YOU CCIP!!! You have NO IDEA how many torps I shot off to oblivion setting my rudder to amidships!!!:oops:

Zero Niner
03-24-07, 03:19 AM
Could someone please re-upload this somewhere else, as the download limit was activated!

Thank you. Ditto, Rapidshare just doesn't work for me.

Megaupload, or Filefront, or something else.

Inflatablewoman
03-24-07, 03:22 AM
Thank you very much for this!! :)

I have added a mirror for you, also included is a modified help file to reflect the changes you've made to the commands file.

Mirror:
http://www.keithball.net/files/sh4_1_1KeyboardFunctionMod.zip

Mush Martin
03-24-07, 03:51 AM
UHm how about returning all the free cam controls over to
the numpad in my sh4 game up and down and rotate
are num pad and forward back and traverse are arrows.
MM

Gizzmoe
03-24-07, 03:53 AM
Filefront mirror:
http://files.filefront.com/SH4_Keyboard_Function_Mod1zip/;7014567;;/fileinfo.html

akdavis
03-24-07, 09:48 AM
UHm how about returning all the free cam controls over to
the numpad in my sh4 game up and down and rotate
are num pad and forward back and traverse are arrows.
MM

+1 for that!

Also, was there ever a "fine" control option in addition to the normal and fast rates for moving the optics with the arrows? Can the optics also be tied to the numbad instead of arrows?

Gildor
03-24-07, 12:30 PM
Can you use JSGME MOd enabler to install?

Soviet_Warlord
03-24-07, 12:47 PM
May I recommend having what was formerly fire torpedo (enter on numpad) and instead making it used for time compression normal? Like this:

[Cmd6]
Name=Time_compr_normal
Ctxt=1,2,6,9
Key0=0x0D,,"Enter"

It is a pretty good change IMO, useful and obvious because it is right beside the other TC keys.

Gildor
03-24-07, 12:48 PM
REQUEST:

How could I make a key that toggles BATTLE STATIONS on/off?

:hmm:

OneTinSoldier
03-24-07, 02:25 PM
Hi Gildor,

Try this, I used a utility called SetKeys 1.3 to get it....

Scroll down to(or search for) [Cmd436]

[Cmd436]
Name=Toggle_battle_stations
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x42,s,"SHIFT B"

It should make SHIFT+B toggle Battlestations on and off now.

Hope that helps :)

alexoscar
03-24-07, 05:56 PM
Thanks a lot for this conversion. One question: can I use this exact file in SH3 too? I see you have mapped several functions in the yours and I would like to test it in SH3, but I'm not sure if is compatible or not.

Thanks in advance.

CCIP
03-24-07, 06:00 PM
Thanks a lot for this conversion. One question: can I use this exact file in SH3 too? I see you have mapped several functions in the yours and I would like to test it in SH3, but I'm not sure if is compatible or not.

Thanks in advance.

It will not work in SHIII because there are several important changes/additions in the SHIV command file, though you CAN re-map keyboard shortcuts in a similar way in SHIII since the file structure is basically the same.

If you need help adding a few commands to SHIII though - let me know, I can point you to changes you need to make.

I'll add a few more command to the file and release a new version shortly, thanks for suggestions!

Ducimus
03-24-07, 06:05 PM
CCIP, i made up updated help.txt. Feel free to use it if you want. YOu may ahve to make a few changes, cause im not sure what youve done with your latest version of your keyboard function mod.

CCIP
03-24-07, 06:06 PM
I was just about to post in your thread about that, nice work and thanks! :p

If you don't mind, I'll also borrow your "remove A key" idea for next version.

DaMaGe007
03-24-07, 06:12 PM
What does the Ctxt= part do ?

is there a way to make a key initiate max time compression ?

My + key is getting worn out due to overuse :)

CCIP
03-24-07, 06:15 PM
I believe ctxt means "context", so that for example certain shortcuts might be limited to use in certain stations only.

Unfortunately, there's no function in the config for maximum TC or even setting a certain TC. There's only increase/decrease and return to 1TC; only the devs could program in a new function like that I believe.

Gildor
03-24-07, 06:15 PM
Hi Gildor,

Try this, I used a utility called SetKeys 1.3 to get it....

Scroll down to(or search for) [Cmd436]

[Cmd436]
Name=Toggle_battle_stations
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x42,s,"SHIFT B"

It should make SHIFT+B toggle Battlestations on and off now.

Hope that helps :)

So I just insert this into the command.cfg, as written?

If so, thanks alot. Awsome :up:

DaMaGe007
03-24-07, 06:18 PM
I believe ctxt means "context", so that for example certain shortcuts might be limited to use in certain stations only.

Unfortunately, there's no function in the config for maximum TC or even setting a certain TC. There's only increase/decrease and return to 1TC; only the devs could program in a new function like that I believe.

Thanks, I posted into the bug thread, I hope they can add it.

gamingdave
03-28-07, 01:27 PM
Great work guys, love all these mods. Ive a fairly (I hope) simple request. When playing on my desktop I use a keyboard that doest have a numpad. As a result I dont have keys for time compression.

Could you show me how to change the config so instead of the numpads +/- I can use =/-

Thanks

Harmor
03-28-07, 02:41 PM
I installed the Keyboard Functions Mod 1.1 and everything went fine until I went to load a savegame - CTD. Ever since, none of my savegames works anymore and I had to reinstall.

Hitman
03-28-07, 03:20 PM
@CCIP

Good job man :up: ....and now a suggestion: Have you seen if the skorkel depth is still available? It could be very well used for the currently missing RADAR DEPTH :sunny:, since US subs had no snorkels but had a setting shallower to periscope depth where radar was still available.

akdavis
03-28-07, 04:01 PM
CCIP, are keyboard controls for TDC input possible? If not, that should be a priority request to the devs.

CCIP
03-28-07, 06:12 PM
I installed the Keyboard Functions Mod 1.1 and everything went fine until I went to load a savegame - CTD. Ever since, none of my savegames works anymore and I had to reinstall.

It's a known issue with mods that they may break in-patrol save games. Your in-port saves should be fine though. I don't think a re-install was neccesary, the only problem I could see is that maybe your download was corrupted.

Have you seen if the skorkel depth is still available? It could be very well used for the currently missing RADAR DEPTH :sunny:, since US subs had no snorkels but had a setting shallower to periscope depth where radar was still available.

You're thinking of what I'm thinking! I'd play around with this more, but I haven't had much game time. Yes, the snorkel depth is there and it works, but it needs a little bit of tweaking in the sub .cfg files to keep the radar above surface. I'm also not yet sure if the radar will work in this position (or any position except surface) - radar may also need some tweaks.

CCIP, are keyboard controls for TDC input possible? If not, that should be a priority request to the devs.

What kind of TDC functions?

Let me know, I'm thinking of a quick update to this one soon!

FooFighters
04-02-07, 05:44 AM
I cannot find the screenshot config in the file. Where can I change that.
I really do not like the CTRL F11 function.

akdavis
04-02-07, 11:06 AM

It's a known issue with mods that they may break in-patrol save games. Your in-port saves should be fine though. I don't think a re-install was neccesary, the only problem I could see is that maybe your download was corrupted.

Have you seen if the skorkel depth is still available? It could be very well used for the currently missing RADAR DEPTH :sunny:, since US subs had no snorkels but had a setting shallower to periscope depth where radar was still available.

You're thinking of what I'm thinking! I'd play around with this more, but I haven't had much game time. Yes, the snorkel depth is there and it works, but it needs a little bit of tweaking in the sub .cfg files to keep the radar above surface. I'm also not yet sure if the radar will work in this position (or any position except surface) - radar may also need some tweaks.

Primarily the rotary dial functions that currently have to be click-hold-dragged with the mouse, which can prove twitchy and very aggravating to tendonitis, i.e.

-TDC input for target speed (increase/decrease) and AOB (port/starboard). Possibly also range, but I find the stadimeter works well with mouse input in comparison to the other functions.
-Torpedo Settings input for spread (left/right) and torpedo running depth(increase/decrease).

Keyboard

Along those same lines, keys to navigate the Recognition Manual (at least just turn the pages!) would also be very helpful.

akdavis
04-02-07, 11:07 AM

Primarily the rotary dial functions that currently have to be click-hold-dragged with the mouse, which can prove twitchy and very aggravating to tendonitis, i.e.

-TDC input for target speed (increase/decrease) and AOB (port/starboard). Possibly also range, but I find the stadimeter works well with mouse input in comparison to the other functions.
-Torpedo Settings input for spread (left/right) and torpedo running depth(increase/decrease).

Keyboard input could also be useful for the TDC dial "send data" function, torpedo speed mode, torpedo detonator mode and for Position Keeper on/off.

Along those same lines, keys to navigate the Recognition Manual (at least just turn the pages!) would also be very helpful.

FooFighters
04-03-07, 08:12 AM
I cannot find the screenshot config in the file. Where can I change that.
I really do not like the CTRL F11 function.

Anybody ?

Beery
04-04-07, 08:16 PM
What does the numpad Insert button do and where is it in the commands.cfg file? I'm trying to make a 'Keyboard Function Mod Lite' for RFB but I'm now more used to the SH4 keyboard set-up.

Also, is there any way to get the first-person views of the duty stations back like we used to have in SH3?

Also, is there a captain's bed view? I can't seem to navigate around the boat in 3D at all now - I don't know whether I'm just going senile or whether it's that it no longer works.

Ducimus
04-04-07, 08:37 PM
>>I can't seem to navigate around the boat in 3D at all now

Shift + F2

Works in the conning tower, control room, and even the bridge.

Beery
04-04-07, 09:01 PM

Shift + F2

Yeah but...

1. Once you hit it once in the bridge, hitting it again doesn't get you out from under the table.

2. If you hit it while at the map view it causes a CTD.

Didn't the mouse wheel used to work for this? Or didn't we used to be able to click on people and get their view? Also, didn't we used to be able to click on doors and hatches to enter? It's been so long since I played SH3 but I seem to recall that there was a whole lot more functionality - and it seemed a lot more intuitive.

I remember a mod that adjusted commands.cfg to allow us to basically navigate through the whole boat by just clicking.

Ducimus
04-04-07, 09:07 PM
I think being able to use the Shft F2 free view on the bridge is sort of a fluke. What you do is Shift +F2 then pause the game. You can then freely go about the conning tower, up and down the periscope shears, or even walk out on the bow. If you do this while the boat is moving, it just sort of leaves without you.

CTD while in map view.. yah i found that out the hardway :88)

Mouse wheel i dont recal doing much but you could click on crewman and occupy their view. You can still do this with the sonarman, radar man, and in a few boats the helmsman. ANd ya your right, SH3 was a bit mroe intuitive in this regard, and had a bit more functionalty i think.

The wonderful thing about the commands.cfg is theres alot of letover artifacts from SH3 that you can call on that are listed there. The ID handlers for some of these commands are listed here. Say if you want to implemnet on your menu bar to ID a target, formerly a WE command, you can look up the ID handler in the commands.cfg, and call on it from the menu bar. If those command ID handlers werent listed there, we'd have no way of knowing how to call on them.

akdavis
04-04-07, 11:15 PM

Shift + F2

Yeah but...

1. Once you hit it once in the bridge, hitting it again doesn't get you out from under the table.

2. If you hit it while at the map view it causes a CTD.

Didn't the mouse wheel used to work for this? Or didn't we used to be able to click on people and get their view? Also, didn't we used to be able to click on doors and hatches to enter? It's been so long since I played SH3 but I seem to recall that there was a whole lot more functionality - and it seemed a lot more intuitive.

I remember a mod that adjusted commands.cfg to allow us to basically navigate through the whole boat by just clicking.

You can click on the sonar and radar operators to jump to their stations. You can also click on the ladder/hatch from the control room up to the conning tower and from the conning tower to the bridge (except S-class, which does not have a conning tower view). From the conning tower you can click on the doorway to go out to the deckgun, or on the floor hatch to go back down to the control room.

Beery
04-04-07, 11:30 PM
You can click on the sonar and radar operators to jump to their stations. You can also click on the ladder/hatch from the control room up to the conning tower and from the conning tower to the bridge (except S-class, which does not have a conning tower view). From the conning tower you can click on the doorway to go out to the deckgun, or on the floor hatch to go back down to the control room.

Weird, because I hadn't been able to do that until I implemented CCIP's 'Numpad Ins' 'previous view' tweak today. Before that, some of the clickies worked but others didn't, and the 'go back' thing using the mouse was similarly half-arsed. Anyway it's all working now. Finally I can get through the boat without having to rely on the menu bar.