PDA

View Full Version : Converting SH3 mods to SH4

CCIP
03-20-07, 09:39 AM
It would appear that the file structure of SHIV is very close to SHIII - consequently, a lot of the modding work can be converted from SHIII.

I've already found a number of useful config tweaks; I'll try to investigate soon how much SHIII Mini Tweaker is compatible with SHIV - if it is, a number of other tweaks can be applied there. I suspect this may be needed for sensors for example.

Two more good news items:
Most sounds from SHIII mods are compatible, so as long as they don't feature german - you can simply pick and drop them from one sound folder (e.g. GWX) to your SHIV sound folder.

Many SHIII commands that are missing in SH4 (like weather reports, maximum range/range to course end/time to course end, and sonarman report controls) can be easily re-enabled by simply assigning key shortcuts to them.

sandbag69
03-20-07, 09:59 AM
Can SH4 ships be added to Sh3 or vice versa?

danlisa
03-20-07, 10:20 AM
Would it possible for people who already own the game to find out which of Timetraveller's tools still work with SH4?

Specifically the DAT extractor, Minitweaker (CCIP already mentioned) and/or Pack3D.

Could we also get an idea of how the textures are handled. Are they in a textures folder or have they been packed into DAT files?

CCIP
03-20-07, 10:27 AM
I can't test the tools for another 36 hours since I'm at work ( :cry: ), but I can tell you that all the textures now look to be in .dds format, including those in the submarine folders. Seems they are now mostly separate from the .dat.

danlisa
03-20-07, 10:32 AM
I can't test the tools for another 36 hours since I'm at work ( :cry: ), but I can tell you that all the textures now look to be in .dds format, including those in the submarine folders. Seems they are now mostly separate from the .dat.

Sigh, why is it never easy.:roll:

Here is some info/tools for .dds textures. - http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

Dowly
03-20-07, 10:58 AM
Yeh, alot of the textures are in the texture folder instead of the .DAT files. I wonder, how much would it cut down the loading times if they were in the DATs? As atm, the loading time for me are alot shorter than those in SHIII. :hmm:

Madox58
03-23-07, 02:56 AM
Pack3d seems to work fine.
Model structure is the same but I noticed the Armed Trawler will not split in half
as it has no front and rear sections.
New rules for mini tweaker can be written as well as for Analyzer.
And of course, the Good old Hex Editor!!!