PDA

View Full Version : viic sub question - loading external reserves

Webster
03-07-07, 01:17 AM
how do i access and transfer the external reserves of ammo and torpedos to my internal stores? i need to know how to and key commands.

Letum
03-07-07, 01:31 AM
Click n' Drag

Happy hunting :up:

Venatore
03-07-07, 01:36 AM
And make sure your surfacing running and not in silent running.

3Jane
03-07-07, 06:18 AM
In actuality it would have been physically impossible to load external torpedos in bad weather and rough sea states, but the game allows you to do it I have found. Also in visual range of convoys etc. Depending on how much realism you want, you have to discipline your self as to when and where you reload external stores. It normaly takes about an hour to load an external torpedo and it will drive the crew fatigue levels way up, so it might not be advisable to load externals just before an attack when you need your repair crews at their best.

Jimbuna
03-07-07, 07:14 AM
Ensure the green bar in the torpedo room is at least half way full :arrgh!:

zaunkonigII
03-07-07, 10:51 PM
I read somewhere - actually in "Sharks and Little Fish" by Wolfgang Ott - that the external to internal torp transfer involves:

1. Send a few men into the water to detach external torp from hull(usually the sides).
2. Set a few inflatable lifejackets under the torp, and inflate all until torp floats.
3. Set forward deck awash.
4. Maneuver torp on top of forward deck.
5. Surface forward deck.
6. Carry the torp by hand through the conning tower hatch, to the command room, and into the torp room.

Pretty hard work, if you ask me. And if the sub patrol is in arctic waters, then...:rotfl:

It also puzzles me - how can you do the above when you are running at 12 knots? :hmm: SH3 should only allow external torp reloadin when speed is at 0 knots.

Letum
03-07-07, 11:21 PM
6. Carry the torp by hand through the conning tower hatch, to the command room, and into the torp room.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

The conning tower hatch?!?! Noooooo!

hehe....there are 2 hatches on the deck for loading torps! The external torpes are usually stored below the deck. They are only "external" because they are outside the pressure-hull. A winch attached to the radio cables and the conning tower was used to lift the tail of the fish so it could slide into the loading hatch.

Zero Niner
03-07-07, 11:38 PM
Somone posted a link to an animated illustration some time ago. It showed the whole process, from retrieving the spare torp out of its storage location until its insertion into the torpedo compartment.

zaunkonigII
03-08-07, 02:21 AM
I thought the torp loading hatch was only on the IX class?

Woof1701
03-08-07, 05:23 AM
Since it isn't possible to load a torp through the tower hatch and get it throught the boat, all uboats with aft tubes had two loading hatches. One front and one aft above the torpedo rooms. The weren't vertical, so the torpedo could be slid into the boat and hung where it belonged. Typ II and XXI had only one loading hatch while the Typ XXIII had none at all because it was too small and only carried the torps in the tubes. In addition a Typ VII had an additional hatch above the kitchen to load supplies.

Jimbuna
03-08-07, 05:34 AM
I read somewhere - actually in "Sharks and Little Fish" by Wolfgang Ott - that the external to internal torp transfer involves:

1. Send a few men into the water to detach external torp from hull(usually the sides).
2. Set a few inflatable lifejackets under the torp, and inflate all until torp floats.
3. Set forward deck awash.
4. Maneuver torp on top of forward deck.
5. Surface forward deck.

Pretty hard work, if you ask me. And if the sub patrol is in arctic waters, then...:rotfl:

It also puzzles me - how can you do the above when you are running at 12 knots? :hmm: SH3 should only allow external torp reloadin when speed is at 0 knots.

:roll: :damn: :damn: :damn:
Sorry matey but this is a clear case of "DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ" :nope:

Woof1701
03-08-07, 05:52 AM
Right!

1. The torpedos are directly below the deck grating in watertight compartments. So no need to send someone swimming.
2. A few life jackets wouldn't be able to hold the weight of a 1-ton torpedo.
3. Since the torpedo isn't in the water it would only make the crew slip and fall ;)
4. It already is.
5. It still is
6. You wouldn't be able to carry a torpedo up to the conning tower hatch, let alone through it. In any case the command room is not big enough to move the 7 meter torpedo around and then carry it through the boat.

Even if you imagine one man carrying 70 kilograms you'd need 14 men to carry one torpedo. Even on the small deck that's pretty hard. Inside it's impossible.

But you're right of course. Getting the external torpedoes inside in bad weather and at 12 knots wouldn't have worked in real life.

3Jane
03-08-07, 08:06 AM
Slightly OT, but I remember reading about a submarine commander, I am sure it was in WWI. If a shot failed to hit the target, he used to follow the spent torpedo along it's track, and recover it through the torpedo tubes ready for refurbishment and re-use. :p

Woof1701
03-08-07, 08:10 AM
How would he do that? A torpedo that didn't explode normally sank to the bottom as soon as it had run out of fuel and lost its momentum. As far as I know torpedoes don't swim. Like airplanes they only stay at a certain depth because of speed and the steering fins.

Letum
03-08-07, 10:36 AM
How would he do that? A torpedo that didn't explode normally sank to the bottom as soon as it had run out of fuel and lost its momentum. As far as I know torpedoes don't swim. Like airplanes they only stay at a certain depth because of speed and the steering fins.

The training torps used to have positive bouncy and a little flag on the nose so they could be recovered by ships and reused.

Even if war torpedoes had positive bouncy I doubt the fuel systems of batteries on them could easily be renewed.
Also, only a madman would drive a sub near a torp whose warhead was still live! :doh:

Jan Kyster
03-08-07, 12:10 PM
It's from the book "Dardanellas Patrol" by Anthony Hunter and Peter Shankland (also authors of Malta Convoy). Patroling the med in the british submaring E 11 in WWI.
They did stay well clear of the found, floating torpedo and sent a man over to disarm it. And to shut off the compressed air to make sure it wouldn't suddenly start the propeller... Later he even loaded a torp into the reartube from the outside. The torp faced towards the stern, so he could carry it all the way through to sub... Great book, btw.

Re. transferring torps from external... Still remember first time... we were tracking a convoy, I'm on the bridge.
Hm, better check torpedo status... We have one front, one rear and one external rear left.
Okay, then ordered external transferred to front and went back to look-out. Then down for some final calculations and back on bridge...
Hm, wonder how long 'till that torp is transferred?

wth?! nothing?? What the heck! Then he tried with: "But it's pointing the wrong way, Sir!" :88)
I reached for my luger, but in that exact moment look-out alerted: "Ship spotted, Sir!"...

AntEater
03-09-07, 06:34 AM
I didnt read "Haie und kleine Fische", but that procedure sounds like they were trying to get the afterwards external torp to the front torpedo room. Apparently this was done some times. In AOTD, you could transfer external torps to both front and stern torpedo tubes.

zaunkonigII
03-12-07, 08:34 PM
Re-read the whole thing again, and yes, as usual my faulty memory failed me again... Sorry!:oops:

It appears that they were transferring torps and fuel from a type IXC which was returning home for emergency repairs.